Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,269 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
TommyGun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Workout A Week 4

Squat: 155 5x5
Bench Press: 155 5x5
Rows: 100 5x5

I basically increased my squat and bench press to a new baseline this week (155lbs) and it felt great. I had been lifting for a few months prior to starting this routine so the increase in weight wasn't a big shock to my body. I feel like I am in a good spot with all of my lifts and things will start getting tough pretty soon. I'm excited about the coming weeks!
Furlock Bones
AG
Workout b
Squat 115 3 x 5 165 1 x 5 195 1 x 5
Overhead 55 5 x 5
Dead lift 105 5 x 2

Plus lat pull downs and incline bench

Too little of a workout still so had to add stuff.
PrestigeWorldwide11
AG
Honest question here. What weight do you start out with? I have already been doing bench regularly which I can do 185 3x10-12. Squats and deadlifts I need to work up since I'm coming off ACL surgery.

Anyways...how do you know what weight to start at? I feel if I did 5x5 of say 135 I feel like that wouldn't be a workout.
mid90
AG
I started at the bottom because I was a weakling.
Zeke1995
AG
ditto
TommyGun
AG
quote:
Honest question here. What weight do you start out with? I have already been doing bench regularly which I can do 185 3x10-12. Squats and deadlifts I need to work up since I'm coming off ACL surgery.

Anyways...how do you know what weight to start at? I feel if I did 5x5 of say 135 I feel like that wouldn't be a workout.

There really isn't an exact science to it. Since you've been lifting for a while, you could probably start off around 60-70% of your 1-rep max. The stronglift website gives some information for experience lifters.
NoneGiven
AG
You can always increment by more than 5 pounds if you find your starting weight is way too low.
Jetpilot86
AG
I did the 190 lb weakling plan also. Still 190, just not as weak....
bmks270
AG
Just start low.. In 3 to 4 weeks you'll be back to your normal weight range and have solid momentum. 4 weeks goes by really fast.

You can look at my 4 week progression below and see where I'll be if my progress continues for another 4 weeks and beyond.

I started my own linear program 4 weeks ago to regain lost strength after a few years break, and here is my progress, haven't missed a rep yet but front squats are getting noticeably more difficult.

1st workout / most recent workout - exercise

135/180 - front squat
135/170 - bench press
35/50 - incline DB press (weight is of DB, this still feels really easy, restricting increasing DB weights by 5 lbs per week)
45/100 - overhead press
95/140 - Romanian deadlift (still really easy)
95/140 - bent over row
185/265 - regular dead lift
0/60 - dips (weight added to body weight obviously, also gained 5 - 10 lbs body weight since starting)

mid90
AG
is that some kind of modified stronglifts program?
bmks270
AG
quote:
is that some kind of modified stronglifts program?

I based it more on starting strength. I broke up the workouts a bit differently based on what has worked for me in the past and my individual preferences and goals. The principle is the same, compound lifts, linear progression, 5 rep sets. My frequency and volume is a little higher, working out 4-5 days a week.

[This message has been edited by Bmks270 (edited 6/10/2014 11:24p).]
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 10 Workout 1
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 175, getting tough
Overhead Press 5x5 x 85, Another failed OP
Deadlift 5 x 210

HR monitor said I burned 22% fat today, best burn rate I've seen...
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Week 2, workout B
5x5 @ 115 squat
5x5 @ 50 overhead press
1x5 @ 105 Deadlift

Enjoying this. Excited about getting stronger.
Walter Kovacs
AG
I'm a few weeks in and everything so far has been pretty okay except squats. I haven't done a squat in a decade and it definitely shows.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I haven't done a squat in a decade and it definitely shows.

Look above in this thread for "third world squats" or google it. In stronglifts FORM is everything. Make sure your form is spot on and the rest will sort itself out. I did 175 yesterday on squats and started out at empty bar 10 weeks ago. Had not consistently done squats before, and then was doing them with bad form.
bmks270
AG
quote:
quote:
I haven't done a squat in a decade and it definitely shows.

Look above in this thread for "third world squats" or google it. In stronglifts FORM is everything. Make sure your form is spot on and the rest will sort itself out. I did 175 yesterday on squats and started out at empty bar 10 weeks ago. Had not consistently done squats before, and then was doing them with bad form.

I primarily do front squats because the form just feels more natural and comfortable to me. It also exposes a weak core.

Since I returned to lifting regularly about 6 weeks ago, I have only seen 2 people at my gym (LA Fitness) do all of their squat sets with proper form. It's sad to see people use bad form, and especially when they aren't even using heavy weight. I have seen a few people half repping 185 with unstable legs and clearly pushing with their toes, and even see some people working out together both using terrible form despite otherwise looking pretty fit. Do not be these people.

This video is what brought me to make the change to front squats though I had done front squats occasionally in the past.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwzyHeAlos
Walter Kovacs
AG
thank you gentlemen. i shall do my homework.
Furlock Bones
AG
workout A
squat 5 x 5 135
bench 5 X 5 105
barbell rox 5 X 5 90
incline bench 5 X 5 80

lunch time workout
Jetpilot86
AG
After I finish my 12 week set of Stronglifts, I might just swap to front squats and see what a difference it makes in my core. I'm noticing as the back squat weights get heavier, I'm bending over more as I start the drive out of the bottom because I apparently don't have the core strength to stay more vertical. So far I'm still making the reps but, they are harder....
mid90
AG
I think I'm going to switch to front squats today. After reading up on both, it seems like there's nothing the back squat gives you that the front squat doesn't. And the front squat works quite a bit more.
Iowaggie
AG
Last round of workouts:

Squat: 5 x 240
Bench: 5 x 240
BB Rows: 5 x 125
OP: 5 x 125
DL: 5 x 150

And really, besides the DL and slowly on squat, I can't see much improvement on the horizon.

mid90
AG
Workout for the day:

Front squat 110# 5x5
Barbell row 95# 3x5
Bench press 95# 5x5

I think I'm going to stick with the front squats as a replacement for back squats. But man oh man, doing barbell row after front squats SUCKS. My back was already blown up from trying to keep my torso upright on the squats. Did not feel good. I felt some nerve pinching (not related to doing front squats) in my shoulder, so I only did 3 sets for the rows.
bmks270
AG
quote:
Workout for the day:

Front squat 110# 5x5
Barbell row 95# 3x5
Bench press 95# 5x5

I think I'm going to stick with the front squats as a replacement for back squats. But man oh man, doing barbell row after front squats SUCKS. My back was already blown up from trying to keep my torso upright on the squats. Did not feel good. I felt some nerve pinching (not related to doing front squats) in my shoulder, so I only did 3 sets for the rows.

Give it two weeks to get used to the form and they should feel a lot easier to stay upright. This was my experience.

Front squats work the quad more and hamstring less than back squats but they also work the core and back a bit more and to me are more comfortable to perform, so that's why I do them. I do Romanian deadlifts to balance the hamstrings as well as help regular deadlifts which is an exercise I just really like

I have been doing rows near the end of my workout. I'll mix up the order to see how much the fatigue may be effecting the different lifts.

Here is my back/ lower body routine:

Front squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Romanian deadlift 2x5 (very light compared to deadlift, still learning good form)
Barbell row 3x5
Pull ups 2x10
Jetpilot86
AG
I'm up to around 180 on back squats, with 5x5. Where might I start front squats at? I have a feeling the limitation will be how much I can control from the front position, but if someone has some insight, it would be appreciated...
mid90
AG
I do crossfit on days I'm not weightlifting, and replacing back squats with front squats for stronglifts should greatly benefit me in crossfit workouts.

(core strength in general, but specifically will help with squat cleans and thrusters)
mid90
AG
I'm not sure Jet....maybe start out real light (65#) just to get a feel for the front squat and make sure you get the form right (staying upright, flexible enough in arms/shoulders to keep the bar in the correct position, etc.) and then from there gauge where you want to start a 5x5 progression. Since you've been doing this program for long enough, you probably have developed good intuition of what weight to start out with for just about any movement.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I've done the StrongLifts 5x5 and it is a great workout so I encourage everyone doing it to stick w/it as long as you can. It is the fastest way to build up your strength and also add some mass. Start too light b/c your numbers will build up fast.

A program that is very similar but provides a little more variety is Mark Rippetoe's 'Starting Strength.' Both are great programs.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
cupcakesprinkles
AG
quote:
I'm not sure Jet....maybe start out real light (65#) just to get a feel for the front squat and make sure you get the form right (staying upright, flexible enough in arms/shoulders to keep the bar in the correct position, etc.) and then from there gauge where you want to start a 5x5 progression. Since you've been doing this program for long enough, you probably have developed good intuition of what weight to start out with for just about any movement.

I agree. Flexibility in your wrists/shoulders is key to perform the front squat effectively. It never is a bad plan to start out too light b/c you will build up your strength fast while keeping good form.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 10, Workout 2
Wgt ~195
Squat 5 x 5 x 180 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 125 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 85 lbs

Still going easy on the Rows as my elbow is still complaining, albeit less. Will probably stop adding Squat weight at 185 and build up some stamina while building up Front Squats. I really don't like how much I'm bending at the waist on the last couple of sets of squats. I added a 5x5 of Front Squats after this with an empty bar, and some modified front dumbell lifts that simulate the motion I use when moving my heavy bags in and out of crew vans to add some practical strength. Also am going to start adding cardio on workout days to get to 1k cal burned between the Stronglifts and 1k, then doing an hour of cardio 2-3 days per week.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
But man oh man, doing barbell row after front squats SUCKS.

How about doing regular back squats on those days, and front squats on the other workout day.

It would also help in adding a little variety.
mid90
AG
I'm going to try to stay with it as is, hopefully my back will get stronger and rows won't suck as much after front squats.

If it doesn't improve I'll look into changing it up. Thanks Iowa!
Furlock Bones
AG
i tried to do few front squats the other day. good lord i have no flexibility in my arms or wrists.
TommyGun
AG
Yesterday's workout

Workout A Week 5

Squat 165 5x5
Bench 160 5x5
Row 105 5x5

Sq1dvm
AG
Managed to pull 405 on deadlift after using stronglifts a few months (also started eating a lot more, t helped too) - increased by 40lbs from my deadlift max early this year. Love this program. Y'all may have already discussed this in the other 24 pages, but the android app for it is handy.
Furlock Bones
AG
Started getting tougher witht he overhead press last time out

today's on tap

Squat 160
Overhead Press - 75 <---this is a repeat weight as i missed the last rep of the last set
Dead lift - 155

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.