Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,359 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
TXBowhunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Started this workout today after seeing this thread. My one worry is what I'm going to do in about 6 weeks when I need a spotter.

Are you working out in a gym? Ask for a spot
Are you working out at home? Invest in a power rack.
yeahtoast
AG
Also: roll of shame.
Brock Sampson
AG
quote:
Started this workout today after seeing this thread. My one worry is what I'm going to do in about 6 weeks when I need a spotter.

I started doing this workout with a buddy. Helps to have someone there to spot you and tell you if your form sucks.
irish pete ag06
AG
Wow, what a horrible workout...

Squat 255, 55555 (I am still going to treat this like I didn't get the weight because I didn't feel like my form was good on more than a few. So, I put it in my iphone app as 55554 to keep the weight at 255.

OHP, 115, 45543

Was warming up for deadlift and felt my back beginning to stiffen, so I did not even do it.

I had a busy day at work. We had a big cleaning & organizing day at the fieldhouse. After that I went and painted a 7 on 7 playing field out on the football field. By the time I got to the gym, I was beat.

Oh well, plateaus are made to be broken.
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 240
Bench 180 I get to add a 25 lb plate to the 45 on Monday.
Row 175 tuff but they keep coming up.
Bocephus
AG
BP 275
Row 105
SACR
AG
squat: 245
DL: 255
OHP: 185

[This message has been edited by SACR (edited 5/9/2013 1:51a).]
MattTheBrave
AG
The past several times I've done squats... My lower back has been pretty sore. Not necessarily hurting, but pretty sore. You guys have any advice? I think I may be holding the bar too high up on my back...
Brock Sampson
AG
^ You might be getting too much lean forward during your squat and it's turning into a back workout instead of a leg workout. If you can, record your squat and make sure your form is good.
SACR
AG

Doubt it is from where you are holding the bar, unless you're getting a bone bruise on a vertebrae.

Sounds to me like you're not keeping your back straight, are leaning forward slightly while going down, and then straightening up when you come back up. The problem would be your form, not your bar position.

Make your legs do the work, not your back.
TXBowhunter
AG
matt check out some youtube videos on hip bounce. Make certain your hips start the movement first and your knees do not track over your toes. Video yourself from the side and rear.
Bocephus
AG
OHP 130
SACR
AG
Squat: 255
Bench: 375
Row: 195

Got 5 reps on first four sets on bench but didn't quite lock out on 5th rep on 5th set. Will do again on Monday since I didn't dominate the weight the way I wanted to.

Pahdz
Started this workout yesterday. I've been lifting since high school (33 now) with plenty of breaks along the way, but most recently doing a couple of different workouts centered around compound movements and pullups, so these exercises aren't all that new. I started it because I'm curious to see how it goes and I like the set up, as I've been in a serious time crunch lately (the last 6 weeks I haven't seen much of the gym). It was between this and start doing P90X with my wife. We like working out together, but we don't have a gym with child care, and I just couldn't shed my lifting background for some workout at home with just a pull up bar and light weights. My goal is to lose some fat, so I'm not looking to get big, so most of my focus will need to be in the kitchen.

Started today with 115 on squat, 115 on bench and 65 on the barbell press. I need to just remind myself these first few weeks where I don't feel like I'm working out at all that the beginning isnt what this workout is about.

[This message has been edited by Pahdz (edited 5/12/2013 10:45p).]
SACR
AG

Squat: 265
DL: 265
OHP: 195
SACR
AG

Pahdz,

I think the squats three times a week will make you start losing weight.

I didn't change my eating habits at all, and I have lost weight since switching to this workout.
Pahdz
quote:
Pahdz,

I think the squats three times a week will make you start losing weight.

I didn't change my eating habits at all, and I have lost weight since switching to this workout.

Yeah, I know I will. I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight. I'm 5'9" 190lbs right now, I just think I am probably better suited for 180 or 185. Also trying to get some of my speed back for soccer and softball.
Bocephus
AG
BP 280 only got 4 on last two sets so will hit it again on Friday
Rows 110
Pahdz
workout 2 in the books. legs feeling it (had laid off squats for a while, so no shock), but just looking at the 12 weeks on the spreadsheet, I think I'm gonna have to bump the bench up at some point. week 12 doing 200x5x5 seems like it won't be enough, after my most recent bench workout a month ago was

185x5
225x1
195x4
235x1
205x3
245x1
irish pete ag06
AG
Last week was absolutely brutal. 7 on 7, state track meet, then a bachelor party kept me occupied so much I was only able to work out once.

Session 39
Squat 255, 5535, did not do last set. I was crunched for time I'll be deloading to see if I can get past 255 soon.

Bench 165, 55553, hitting it again.

Row, 150, 55555
SACR
AG

BP: 375
Row: 205
SACR
AG

Pahdz,

I'd start BP at 165 and see how it goes.

I completely ignore the spreadsheet when it comes to BP, because I was over their range when I began.
TXBowhunter
AG
S 245 5,4,3,3,4
BP 185 5x5
Row 180 5x5

245 squats seems to be a wall for me. I did do better but i don't think i am hitting depth. Working hard on knees out.

BP I smoked it. I bought wrist wraps because of my weak skinny wrist. However, i fealt so strong i did not even pull them out.

Row, Hard for me to believe how these keep coming up so well, but they are doing great.

[This message has been edited by TXBowhunter (edited 5/14/2013 10:23a).]
Bocephus
AG
OHP 135
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 40

Squat 225, 55555. 10% deload from 255
OHP 110, 55555, barely.
Deadlift 285, 3. Not quite ready for that.

I am at a plateau because my job has demanded a ton of hours from me lately... plus my calorie intake has fallen off. I have to eat to gain.
TXBowhunter
AG
Got my 5x5 245 Squats and my 295 dead lift. I had one more try for both before a deload. Squats were tuff but i got good depth and pushed my knees out. Deads fealt great. After the 1st rep i knew i would get the 5.
irish pete ag06
AG
TXBowhunter...

We WERE about even. You have passed me up my friend.

I'll get back up there with ya now that my crazy hours have calmed down at work.
Pahdz
I feel like I'm struggling with the rows on keep my back straight. Almost like my back is too tight
SACR
AG

Squat: 275

Form was poor on first set, will do again Friday.

Deadlift: 285

OHP: 205

Did not get five reps on last 2 sets, will do again Sunday.
Bocephus
AG
BP 280 4,3 on my last two sets. Will try again Wednesday

Rows 115
SACR
AG

Hit 5 sets of 5, but staying at this weight Sunday. Didn't like my form on some of the reps.

BP: 385

Hit 5 reps on only two sets, did a punishment set of 425 to show my body who is in charge.

Row: Dropped to 185 because I was having some lower back pain, felt much better.
SACR
AG

DL: 295

OHP: 205

Pulled a muscle in my lower back on second rep of first set. This pain is so joyful.
Bocephus
AG
OHP 140
irish pete ag06
AG
Worked out last Friday and forgot to post about it.

Today
Squat 235 (2nd set, I felt like I got stronger, I'm quite positive I will pass up 255 and keep on going when I get there again)
OHP 115, 55533 (not far from getting this either)
Deadlift, 285, 3 (not far from this either)

I was working out on a borderline empty stomach, stupid me.
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 250 got it but going to repeat.
Ohp 105 working back up
Dl 305 did 4 reps stopped because i was whipped. Should have rested more first.

Got a second wind and did some chin ups and single arm dumbell overhead press.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.