Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,351 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, weight gain is a simple equation. Eat more calories than you burn and you gain weight.

3200 caloris may not be enough.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 21

Squat 205
Bench 135
Row 115

Whew. Got every rep. Had to work this time. I've had a very busy hectic last 2 days. Plus I worked out the day before, so I only had roughly 30 hours of rest.

The squats are definitely getting heavy enough that I need that 48 hours of rest.

Oh well, off to Mexico for a 6 day break and lots of free booze. See you boys Tuesday
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 180
OHP 85
Dl 205

Kramer
AG
Just finished #7 but I'm super weak in the legs. Before I started I was doing 5x5 at 155 on bench, but I haven't cleared 100 on the squats and it's starting to get a little challenging. I guess it's a good thing this program focuses on my weakness.

I've always had trouble with form on squats and really engaging my ass/hamstrings on these, but I think I'm starting to get it.

I got a long way to go.
MattTheBrave
AG
Started day 1 this morning. We'll see how it goes!
TXBowhunter
AG
Week 7
S 185 heavy but still good form
Bench 135 easy
BRow 120 easy

178 to 188 on the scale.
Does everyone weigh themselves first thing in the morning? I feel this is the best time to get a good consistent reading. I always gain some various weight during the day.
vansprinkle
AG
txaggie_08 and I did session 17 yesterday. Bench and Row are getting tough.

Squats 230
Bench 190
Row 135

OHP is also getting really tough, we stalled at 130 last week and will give it another shot tomorrow.
txaggie_08
AG
Yeah, we're pretty much to the point where we can't continue increasing anything except for squat and deadlift.
TXBowhunter
AG
Do you guy's feel that you started with weights that were to heavy?
MattTheBrave
AG
I started with just the bar, like Medhi suggests, so I didn't start too heavy.
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
Do you guy's feel that you started with weights that were to heavy?

Depends. For a full 3 month workout, yes. For a workout that would keep me interested and motivated, probably not.

If I had started with just the bar, I would have quit after a few workouts. We will keep pushing our weights and see what we can do, but are getting really close to and are at our limits on several exercises. We will just drop down 5-10 lbs and then run back up, hopefully beating our workout PRs.

All-in-all, I think we are both really happy with our progress and the way we attacked the program. 08 only maxed on bench at around 185 when in high school, so working out with 190 yesterday was not only a PR for max, but especially a PR for a workout. I'll be happy when we do our 5x5 with 225 on bench, ~315 on squat/deadlift, and if possible, 185 on OHP (50 lbs away).
txaggie_08
AG
Yeah, I think it's fine where we are. We're starting to truly work. It may take a couple workouts with the same weight before we bump it up again, but we started off pretty light over a month ago. If we would have started any lighter we would still be bored with the workout and not feel challenged.
TXBowhunter
AG
Those are great results. I hope you both push past the plateau.

I haven't read the ebook in a few weeks, but I think you are suppose to deload 10% after failing 2 consecutive workouts of 5x5. So assuming you failed 190lbs of bench 2 times in a row (5x5). Your next working weight would be 170lbs and then add 5 lbs per workout from there. If I am correct and you guy's follow this procedure I would love to hear if you then push past the weight you plateaued at.

Curious mind following others ahead of my schedule. Good Luck!
txaggie_08
AG
quote:
"Deload. If you fail to get 5x5 with the same weight for 3 workouts in a row, deload for that exercise. Take 10% weight off for that lift only, and add 5lb (2,5lb on the Press/Bench) every workout again. Make sure you lift as fast as you can with the lighter weights and focus on technique."

So I guess if we fail two workouts in a row at a particular exercise we'll need to drop. We haven't failed yet at bench. We both got the 190 up 5x5.

We've struggled at OH Press at 125, and I'm starting to struggle with barbell rows at 135. Squats and deadlifts are still fine at 230 and 225 lbs each.
txaggie_08
AG
And when vansprinkle says I maxed out at 185, that was 10 years ago, and I haven't maxed since then. We were working out pretty regularly for a year before jumping into this program, and I'm not sure what my max was when we began it, but we were working out with about 165 lbs on a regular basis on bench doing 3 sets of 10.
TefIon Don
AG
Ill give this a try to switch things up. You guys using the StrongLog app for Android?
irish pete ag06
AG
I got back from Mexico Tuesday but I was running a low grade fever and my stomach was a little messed up all day Wednesday. Hoping to get started again today(Thursday) if this stomach bug will go away. May have a slight case of Montezuma's revenge.
TXBowhunter
AG
Game.. I use stronglog. It does it's job.
Welcome back Irish. Now go squat!
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
quote:
"Deload. If you fail to get 5x5 with the same weight for 3 workouts in a row, deload for that exercise. Take 10% weight off for that lift only, and add 5lb (2,5lb on the Press/Bench) every workout again. Make sure you lift as fast as you can with the lighter weights and focus on technique."

So I guess if we fail two workouts in a row at a particular exercise we'll need to drop. We haven't failed yet at bench. We both got the 190 up 5x5.

We've struggled at OH Press at 125, and I'm starting to struggle with barbell rows at 135. Squats and deadlifts are still fine at 230 and 225 lbs each

Yeah, the only one we've had issues with is OHP. The others are getting tough though. I think we will knock OHP down to 110-115 next time and work back up. We officially failed twice on it as of our last workout (yesterday morning).
Dr T and the Women
AG
I keep getting stuck at the same weight on both bench and ohp. This has happened now 3 times.

I have shoulder pain pretty bad after I bench. I think it is tendonitis. In the past when I did incline bench it counterintuitively hurt much less. What do you guys think about swapping inclince for flat bench? I would imagine it would accomplish the same goals
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jks08
AG
Have had tendinitis in my shoulder & elbow before, and my best advice would be to rest it and avoid any lifts that use that joint. Sucks, but maybe use that time to really concentrate on improving in other areas
TXBowhunter
AG
I agree with jks. If squat, dl and rows do not hurt your shoulder stick to those and stay off bench and ohp for a while. Can you power clean without pain? Maybe you can clean for a couple weeks.
Dr T and the Women
AG
the problem is I don't think I will ever flat bench without pain. It is the low point that I think hurts. That is why I think I might just switch to inclines since it doesn't hurt as much. i probably will rest for a couple weeks. the other movements don't hurt at all
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bmks270
AG
I think if you guys are hitting a plateau maybe try a 54321 reps for two or three consecutive workouts. Basically do 5 reps normal starting weight, then add 10 lbs and do 4 reps, add 10 lbs again and do 3 reps, so add weight and 1 less rep each set. So your last single rep set will be 40lbs heavier than your first set. When I do this i like to use a weight progrssion that on my last set i can only do 1 rep and need a spot for a second rep. If you find 10lbs each set is too much try 5.
Halibut
AG
Once you unload, build back up to the original weight, and fail 2-3 times without pushing past it, you're supposed to switch to one of the other plans for that exercise (3x5 I think).

Anyway, I had to modify the program a little because I run during the off days, and all the stress was giving me knee (patellar tendon) and back pain. So I started over and I'm increasing weight every other workout instead of every workout. As of 2 weeks ago I haven't had any back pain, and this week I haven't noticed any knee pain. Of course I'm not lifting as heavy as I was either, so I'm focusing on my technique (which I think was a big contributor to the pain), and I'm hoping I'll be fine once I eventually get back to the heavy weights.
Hoss
AG
I've taken some time off from exercising but plan to get back to it starting tomorrow with workout 1 on Stronglifts. Gonna start with 185, 135 and 100 on squats, bench and row, respectively.
TXBowhunter
AG
Hoss. What are your max lifts (today) on those lifts. You will not have great success with this program if you start with weights to heavy and/or sacrifice form.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm getting back on track today after a 9 day layover from being at a destination wedding in Mexico then battling Montezuma's revenge when I got back. I am going to deload by 5-10 pounds from where I was before the break.
TXBowhunter
AG
Week 8 starts today.

Squat 200
OHP 95
Deadlift 225

Scale had grown from 178 to 191.4 This is my roll out of bed weight just before taking a shower. This seems to be the most accurate.

[This message has been edited by TXBowhunter (edited 3/18/2013 1:16p).]
Bogey1996
Don't know what week or session I'm really on because I've had to stop and start up a few times do to travel or whatnot. I would deload a little when I start back up.

Today I was at:
Squat - 205
OH Press - 115
DL - 225

Also, is there anyone else that does 5x5 in the Galleria area in Houston during lunch hour? I'm thinking I'm going to start needing a spotter on the bench in a week or 2. I think I can get away with out a spotter on everything else.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout #22

Squat @ 200 (deloaded 10)
OHP @ 95 (deloaded 5)
Deadlift @ 235 (left it where it's supposed to be)

I think I'll definitely be sore tomorrow after my 9 day hiatus. The 200 felt light on the first set but definitely got heavier due to my muscles fatiguing faster than usual.

OHP felt great.

Deadlift is starting to be heavy, but I like the challenge.

The good thing about the 9 day break that I spent 5 days worth of at an all inclusive in Mexico is that I have gained some weight. I was plateau'ed at 190, but now I'm pushing 191.5ish.
BBDP
AG
TXb

Hoss and I did the 12 week last year and he ended around 215 on bench 5X5 and 275 on squats from memory. I have no idea what he can lift today but I think those are good for bench and squat.

Bogey1996
Squat - 210
Bench - 180
Row - 105

So do y'all do any extra or just those 5 work outs? I tend to add on incline/fly's and lat pulldowns on todays workout and bi's/tri's and calf work out on the other day. I also add cardio on days off hopefully 2 days a week.
TXBowhunter
AG
I just started adding a few auxiliary exercises. I keep them short and try not to burn out. Today i added:
3x8 barbell curl
3x8 overhead tri
3x8 glute ham raise (new at golds in cs and i love it)
3x8 cable crunch.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 23

Squat 205
Bench 140
Row 120

Rows are a potential first deload candidate. Not there yet, but seems close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.