Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,396 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Old Army Metal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Squat: 235
Bench: 205
Row: 160

Had my first failure in bench. Missed a rep on my fourth set, probably coulda had it if I didn't insist on lifting alone.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Squat: 235
Bench: 205
Row: 160

Had my first failure in bench. Missed a rep on my fourth set, probably coulda had it if I didn't insist on lifting alone.

If you have an oppertunity to get a spot, I would take it. Most guys I met at the gym (no homo) are always friendly and willing to help.
Old Army Metal
AG
I know that 99.99% of guys there have no problem spotting me. I just got a little stubborn.
shano0603
AG
quote:
for reference, I'm 5'10", 162 lbs.

I see a lot of people saying their up to 120+ on OHP. Is that feasible for someone my size. Or are most of yall bigger? That just seems impossible.

Also, I feel like my lower back arches a good amount on the last reps of my last set. Should I count those. Or should I lower the weight due to bad form? Or is some lower back flexion okay?

I'm 5'10" about 175. And 120 pounds on OHP is still warm up weight
TamuKid
AG
quote:
quote:
for reference, I'm 5'10", 162 lbs.

I see a lot of people saying their up to 120+ on OHP. Is that feasible for someone my size. Or are most of yall bigger? That just seems impossible.

Also, I feel like my lower back arches a good amount on the last reps of my last set. Should I count those. Or should I lower the weight due to bad form? Or is some lower back flexion okay?

I'm 5'10" about 175. And 120 pounds on OHP is still warm up weight
So you're saying, there's a chance?
Hullabaque
AG
Just had my first triple failure......OHP at 120

It will be my first deload of the program. However, I think I need it because my form was getting pretty shaky on OHP.

My most recent completed weights are:
Squat - 260
Bench - 195
OHP - 120 (will deload to 105)
Row - 140
DL - 235

I'm really curious to see how much it helps to deload. As I work back up, will I blow through 120 on OHP or will it still be a struggle? We'll see.

Overall, I'm still really liking this program. Although the workouts are starting to get long and I've noticed squats are starting to hit me pretty hard. I'm starting to feel pretty tired after squats, which probably isn't helping OHP or BP, since those come right after squats.
hurricanejake02
AG
My deloads have typically been very helpful - sometimes its nice not trying to set 3 PRs in a day.
747Ag
AG
For those of you lifting at a gym... at what type of gym are you a member (big chain, locally owned, power-lifting focused)? I'm personally growing frustrated with the experience at my local Gold's Gym and looking for a change.
Old Army Metal
AG
I work out at the local YMCA. It's pretty well-suited for it, plenty of squat racks and benches and power platforms. I can pretty well tune other people out, though.

Today I completed:

Squats - 245 (easy)
bench - 205 (pretty ragged)
row - 165 (easy)

747ag, where are you located? What is about Gold's that's frustrating you?
747Ag
AG
Waco.

The New Years rush hasn't seemed to die down yet. Based on my work/family commitments, my ability to get in to the gym is limited to right after work (tried and failed miserably with mornings). There is lots of crowding at that point (much worse later in the evening), and it seems they are always trying to bring in more members with promotions etc... (no, I don't fault them for trying to make a buck). Lately, though, some of the racks and benches have been missing the Olympic bars too.

I'm looking to switch. Not sure about other corporate gyms (have heard that Planet Fitness is not terribly friendly to lifters). Gym X, I know nothing, and that about wraps up our corporate gym chains. Thinking I may have better luck/satisfaction with the YMCA or some smaller free weight-centric gym.
Wade_3
AG
Decided to switch up my routine after doing 5x5 for awhile. Here are my final numbers, for now:

Squat: 375
Bench: 255
OHP: 155
Row: 205
DL: 425

I started getting a pretty splitting pain in my left knee during the squats and I was adjusting my form to stop the pain. I did get up to 380 and knocked out two reps, but didn't feel comfortable trying for a 3rd (and didn't want to have to ditch iron in a squat rack).

So I am going to take a few months off and see how my knee feels. Going back to a modified Xfit workout.
HUEY04
AG
If you are getting knee pain on squats you need to work on sitting back farther on your squats, your shins should stay perpendicular to the ground. Try box squats for a while to train yourself to get the movement down.
Wade_3
AG
Thanks for the advice. I've got the mechanics of it down, so I don't think it's that.
512Ag
AG
This weekend (Sunday in particular) I felt completely fatigued. I wasn't sore, just tired. I'm wondering if I should take a week off, then pick back up next week. I just finished week 9. This is the first time I've really felt wiped out. Don't know if it's a product of the program or if the past week has been pretty stressful. I have been eating fine, but for the past 4 weeks I've been running 3-4 miles after lifting. No workouts on rest days. The weight is finally starting to feel heavy, so maybe that's what it is.

Should I back off for a week or press on? Thoughts?
Old Army Metal
AG
What's the worst that can happen if you take a week off?

I try to take a week off every 2 months or so regardless of what program I'm on. Let your body recover a bit. It can only help.
512Ag
AG
That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
This weekend (Sunday in particular) I felt completely fatigued. I wasn't sore, just tired. I'm wondering if I should take a week off, then pick back up next week. I just finished week 9. This is the first time I've really felt wiped out. Don't know if it's a product of the program or if the past week has been pretty stressful. I have been eating fine, but for the past 4 weeks I've been running 3-4 miles after lifting. No workouts on rest days. The weight is finally starting to feel heavy, so maybe that's what it is.

If its just now getting heavy then I would not stop. Now is the time you'll start making gains.
512Ag
AG
Squats and deadlifts have felt heavy for the past week or two. Bench/rows are just now starting. OHP has kicked my ass for quite a while (can't seem to bust through the 95lb mark.
Furlock Bones
AG
i took a week off due to some back pain. will be back at it today.
Old Army Metal
AG
I took two workouts off because I played two hours of pickup ball and it took a week to recover
Poeag
AG
After the positive reviews on this board and many plateaus and boredom from my usual workouts I've started this program today. The app seems like a wonderful addition to keep you engaged and making progress
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:

Easy, quit running for now. All the stronglifts literature specifically not to run at all on off days, and light if any on workout days.

I wish i had run during the first 4 weeks for extra calories, but after week 5, I felt the leg workout was mor than enough.

Quit running for a week or so and see if that gives you more pop in the legs for the workout, if not then look at taking some time off. Right now I think you are just over working your legs.
512Ag
AG
I'm going to take this week off, but when I restart I think I'm going to stop running. Makes sense that my legs would be overworked.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.
Hullabaque
AG
I just had a triple whammy today. I failed on BP (210), BR (160), and weighted dips (+65 lbs). I knew I was close to failure on all three, but it was a rough to fail on all three on the same day. I'm pretty sure I'll get BR and weighted dips next time, as I'm very close on those two. However, BP may be a different story. It's going to be hard to go 5x5.

I'm on Week 13 at this point. I'm thinking about going another 2-4 weeks, then taking a week off, deloading on everything about 15-20%, and starting again. I can tell I'm getting a little sloppy with my form on a few of the exercises. If that continues, I may start my self-imposed deload a little sooner.
saltydog13
AG
Well I started SL last week Monday so I'm only going on week 2, but I feel like I started with the correct low weights as I have been really concentrating on form and it has felt really solid for every lift
Hullabaque
AG
I'm on week 17 and still really like SL. I've had to deload on BP, OHP, and BR. I have come off of squats quite a bit due to a hamstring injury that I'm trying to work through. I haven't had to deload yet on DL, which has been a surprise. Although I'm at the point where my grip is about to give out on me. Here are my weights right now:

Squat - 240 (staying at this weight until my hamstring feels better)
BP - 195 (working back up, failed at 210)
OHP - 110 (working back up, failed at 125)
BR - 160 (didn't really fail at 165, but form felt poor. I deloaded and form feels much better as I'm working back up)
DL - 275 (about to switch to a cross-grip)

I'm also doing the weight chin-ups and weighted dips at the end of each day. I'm up to BW + 30 lbs on chin-ups and BW + 70 lbs on dips.
culdeus
AG
The android app has gotten sort of bloated.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Lurker here looking to potentially switch my program for the summer.

How long should I allocate for workouts typically? I'll be hitting the gym before work.
BBDP
AG
30 min early on (90 sec rest). Once you get to the heavier weights, it will take 45 min (3 min rest).
Hullabaque
AG
As BBDP said, the first 3-4 weeks you should be able to knock the workouts out pretty quickly (30 minutes?). That's assuming you start at reasonable weights for each exercise. When I was at my heaviest on squat (before my hamstring issue), my workouts were taking 60 - 75 minutes. Squats were really wearing me down and they made my workout take pretty long. I was also adding the weighted dips and weighted chin-ups. There were a few days where it took me 90 minutes, but those were days when I didn't have any meetings around lunch and I could take my time.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Any recommendations on starting weight? I am currently weighing in at 180. Have been mainly focusing on HIIT training and body weight the last 2 years or so. I do have prior free weight experience - maybe 4 years ago my traditional workout would be 225-275 on squats and 185-225 on bench.

I was thinking 50% of my 5 RM of around 225 on squats, so 110? Bench at 50% of 185? Just trying to get a starting point to try out.

What about the others?
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Any recommendations on starting weight? I am currently weighing in at 180. Have been mainly focusing on HIIT training and body weight the last 2 years or so. I do have prior free weight experience - maybe 4 years ago my traditional workout would be 225-275 on squats and 185-225 on bench.

I was thinking 50% of my 5 RM of around 225 on squats, so 110? Bench at 50% of 185? Just trying to get a starting point to try out.

What about the others?
Honestly, just follow the program from the starting weights. If you are feeling frisky, jump by 10lbs vs 5lbs each time until you hit the wall.

The key with SL is form, form, form so start light and make sure the form is perfect on each exercise or you risk injury later. Worst I ever felt after a lift was trying to do too much SL5x5 too fast after a layoff.

hth
10andBOUNCE
AG
Just started my first SL workout.

Looking forward to a little change of pace and new challenge. Didn't start with the default weights but felt good about all the lifts so far.

115 on squat
95 on bench
65 on row
AgFB
AG
Started SL May 4 Thanks to this thread. Down 14 pounds and loving the way I feel. Still have about 40 pounds to lose and I'll hit my target.

295 on Squat
210 on Bench
140 on Row

Squat getting more difficult, I'm having to wait the full 3 minutes most of the time. Hip flexors are getting pretty sore each day. Looking forward to getting back to 225 on bench.

Does anyone know if there's a calculator for estimating what I might be able to do on a one rep max? Just curious as I wonder where I'm at compared to HS.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I am in week 2 of this program. Loving it so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.