Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

263,093 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If so, please post about your experience. TIA

Ag12thman
AG
Is this a book?
Brock Sampson
AG
Got the app on my phone and did it last summer. Really enjoyed it and gained some good muscle
rebel06
AG
I did it for 2 months and definitely got stronger. Not a bad program at all and I used the iPhone app as well.
dietcola84
I did it and gained about 18 pounds of muscle (mostly) in about 3 months.

One warning though: don't follow their diet advice and drink a gallon of milk a day. Commercial cow's milk has a lot of estrogen in it. I only drank half a gallon of milk a day for 3 months and it destroyed my testosterone levels. It has taken me almost a year to recover from having low testosterone and it was hell.
irish pete ag06
AG
Wow. Great advice dietcola. Thanks! I've been drinking a lot of milk, not a half gallon a day, but probably almost a quart a day.

Ag12thman
AG
So this is an app?
bam02
AG
It's a website and an exercise program. There is also an app available to help you track your progress.
rebel06
AG
Here's a link with some info on the app:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-tracker-iphone-download/
irish pete ag06
AG
I think I am about to commit to this workout and vary it up with other heavy, barbell, compound based workouts through summer, like Wender's 5/3/1 and Starting Strength's workouts.

I'm going to maintain a calorie surplus this whole time.

Then, in the fall, football season starts (I'm a coach). My head coach and I are opposites. He's a nervous eater. I am a nervous non-eater, so I will begin a cut during coaching since I usually go to bed calorie deficient every night anyway.

Tired of being weak and tired of not having enough lean body mass. I'm going to put an end to that.
irish pete ag06
AG
Oh and by vary it up, I mean use this workout for the recommended 12 weeks, then use a different one for a few weeks.

I want to gain 10 pounds of lean body mass at least before August 1. (if that's possible)
aggiegolfer03
AG
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

Article on natural muscle gain and what to expect.
polksalet12345
I've been lifting for a long, long time. IMO its about the best program ever, especially for natural lifters.
newhowdyag2004
Am I understanding 5x5 correctly? Your first set of 5 is a warmup and increase 12.5% each set until your final set of 5?

Also read about doing 90% of 1 rep max and doing 5 reps but taking 10 seconds in-between each rep.
Halibut
AG
I did it for 3 months about 2 years ago, and I was happy with the results. It's a quick workout and the constant strength gains are a big motivator for the next workout. I recommend starting with less weight than you know you can handle for that very reason. Give yourself a month of seeing constant improvement before you start lifting the heavier weight.
Halibut
AG
Forgot to mention that I'm starting it up again for the new year. Thanks for those of you who mentioned the iPhone app. My one gripe about doing it previously was that it was hard to track where I was, especially after I stalled on the overhead press and every lift was at a different weight. The app will hopefully solve that problem.
irish pete ag06
AG
I am going to use the recommended starting weights from the stronglifts excel spread sheet.

For example, my 1RM on bench right now is 170, so I will start my 5x5 on bench Monday at 75 pounds. I will definitely be starting light and working my way up slowly to see those linear gains.

I am also taking in 3000 calories a day. Trying to eat at a 300-400 calorie surplus to see slow, hopefully lean body mass gains.
irish pete ag06
AG
Here's a link to the spreadsheet. It's really well set up.

http://ge.tt/9H7rmxV/v/0?c

[This message has been edited by irish pete ag06 (edited 1/20/2013 1:28p).]
RyanAg08
AG
I read that you have to use your 7-8RM. I understand that you obviously can't do 5x5 at your 5RM, but can someone explain the benefit of this?
irish pete ag06
AG
Started it today.

Using the spreadsheet's recommended starting weights I did:

Squat, 5x5 @105
Bench, 5x5 @75
Barbell Row, 5x5, @65

It is extremely light weight, but it gets heavier every session. I'm hoping this workout plus eating 3000 calories a day will get me up 15 pounds by mid summer.
aggiegolfer03
AG
3000 cals a day to gain? I hope you're 150 or less and actually overshoot that target..
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
3000 cals a day to gain? I hope you're 150 or less and actually overshoot that target..

You don't think that's enough to gain. I've did the math a lot and it seems like it's enough to gain a pound a week roughly. I'll adjust at the end of this week and up it if I'm not gaining enough. Everyone is different.
aggiegolfer03
AG
Just saying be prepared as it might not be.
irish pete ag06
AG
I am prepared. I am monitoring my weight closely and will adjust accordingly.
txaggie_08
AG
So, is Stronglifts really just for beginners to get a foundation in place? My brother and I started it this morning, it just seemed like the easiest workout I've ever had. Only three exercises, and the weight is light.

I understand that you're building up over three months, but by the weight it suggests for you, it will take us the entire first month just to get back to what we are currently lifting. Seems like a wasted workout. Plus, we do a lot more exercises that just the three a day.

Maybe we should just increase the weight to what we are currently near instead of starting out so low.
irish pete ag06
AG
Txaggie08

I felt the same way. I have been doing a 2 day split workout on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I have been working out with very high percentages, so switching to stronglifts was a shock. I am going to give it a chance however to build back up to those heavier weights.

It is a workout based mostly for beginners, and on the website people have said they increased the weight faster than the 5 pounds a workout recommendation.

There is a workout out there called "mad cow" that most people switch to once they have topped out with stronglifts.

If you just can't stand the weight being too light, then up it. I am going to stick with it and be a little patient. My nephew saw good gains off of it, and he was a good high school athlete (not necessarily a beginner lifter).
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Got the app on my phone and did it last summer. Really enjoyed it and gained some good muscle

Brock would you mind sharing a little more about your experience?
nu awlins ag
AG
I'm looking at something like this. I turn 43 on Sunday and will be maxing in bench, squat, and deadlifts. I just want to challange myself to see how strong I can get. you always hear that guys my age can't add muscle and get that much stronger, just work on maintaining. F that, I'm not dead....yet. I will chart my gains and see what happens. Hopefully I can make it through a year without a injury.
vansprinkle
AG
As 08 said above, it would take us a month to just get back to our typical workout levels if we follow the routine as planned. I think we may jump ahead 2 or 3 weeks, add about 20 lbs to what is suggested, and give it another try tomorrow afternoon.

I don't want to start on week 1 with my absolute max and struggle through the workout, but I don't want to spend a month not even breaking a sweat either.

And I wouldn't mind adding muscle, but I hope to either lose weight or maintain while losing fat and gaining muscle. We'll see what kind of results I can get after following this for a couple months.
dietcola84
One of the reasons for starting out with lighter weights is to learn proper form while the weight is still light.

If you've never done some of the exercises before, you will benefit from building up muscles that you might not have used as much when doing isolation/split routines in the gym.
txaggie05
AG
I started it today. I didn't start all the way down at the lowest weights, but I didn't start at the recommended weights either. I did 65lb Squats (can do 225 5x), 65lb bench (can do 160 5x) and 65lb row (haven't done rows lately, was doing pull-ups). Workout was pretty easy but I do feel like I worked out today. That may be bc I haven't been in the gym for a month or so, but I don't at all feel like it was a wasted workout. It will take me most of the 12 weeks to get back to where I was weight-wise. But I wasn't doing 25 reps at tht weight either.
rebel06
AG
I did it last summer as well and it was easy at first but it did allow me to ensure that I had the proper form for each lift. Give it a few weeks and it will start to be more of a challenge. The idea of small increases in weight works really well even though it takes longer. Stick with it and you will be pleased with how strong you get.
irish pete ag06
AG
I like the idea of slowly creeping into gains. It seems that they will be more long term and it helps me approach strength training as a long term fix.

I've been on and off (mostly off) for the last 4-5 years.

I think working 3 days/week with a clear cut plan and clear options for when you plateau at certain weights will help with the staying power.
RyanAg08
AG
quote:
I've been lifting for a long, long time. IMO its about the best program ever, especially for natural lifters.

What is the benefit if you're already an experienced and natural lifter?
irish pete ag06
AG
The spreadsheet adjusts the workout for people who already have pretty decent strength levels to a 3x5 workout.

There is a workout out there called madcow that this site recommends switching to once you have plateau'ed out completely on stronglifts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.