Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,390 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

squat 135
deadlift 135
ohp 115
irish pete ag06
AG
Thanks guys. It's good to have some other eyes help see some things you may not notice.
Bogey1996
I deloaded yesterday just to focus more on form as the weight is getting heavier. As a 39 year old, I'm not looking at being a powerlifter, just more into overall body strength.

Squat - 225
OHP - 115
DL - 225
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I see a couple of things you need to work on. When you step up to the bar it should be touching your shins before you ever bend down, you want to keep it as close to your body as possible throughout the motion. I really focus on pulling back and driving my hips forward as soon as it clears my knees.
Second thing is that your legs are straightening out too soon. Focus on getting a hair lower to start and then maintaining the angle of your back to the ground until your legs lock out. You went from 45 degrees down to 20 degrees before the bar left the ground.

Yeah I saw that too. I need to get some long pants to scrape my shins more. My butt definitely raised up on that rep before the bar moved. I'm going to do the same weight next time to see if I can polish form. If not, I'll deload.
TXBowhunter
AG
Has anyone signed up for the SL inner circle?
irish pete ag06
AG
I have not. I just can't part with that much a month.
SACR
AG

squat: 155
bench: 335
row: 135

The bench workout didn't feel like a workout, so I need to jump to a weight that will make me work harder.
Bottlerocket
AG
335 bench?! damn.
irish pete ag06
AG
335 bench holy mother
SACR
AG

I've been doing this for 19 years.

If my bench wasn't up there, something would be wrong.

335 is nothing. If I can reach my goal of 475 5x5, then I'll be doing something.
dietcola84
So, why are your row and squat so much lower? Captain upper body?
Bocephus
AG
quote:

Maybe bc he is following the program's advice of starting at a low weight?
SACR
AG
quote:

Probably because I have never, ever done deadlift or bent over row as part of my regular workout. Until incorporating 5x5 into my workout, I have never done a single set of deadlift. I can squat a lot more than what I'm working out with here, but since I decided to start from the beginning on deadlift, why not do it on squat, too?

I may have done one set of bent over row in my life before doing 5x5. Why not start from the beginning there, too?

I didn't change my bench workout because starting from the beginning there would be pointless for me.

In a sense, I probably should have looked at the madcow workout, but since my deadlift and row numbers aren't where they need to be to do that, might as well start with SL5x5 and move on.

[This message has been edited by SACR (edited 4/22/2013 12:32a).]
SACR
AG
squat: 175
DL: 155
OHP: 135
TXBowhunter
AG
Week 12!!!
Squat 225
OHP 110
DL 275

Failed on DL last week for the first time. I think I just ran out of energy and after 3 reps, I just was not feeling it. OHP is still giving me trouble. Really slow progress, but I am progressing.

Time to smash week 12.
Bevel Hugger
Great program.
Brock Sampson
AG
DL is kicking my butt with my grip. I am using about 260lbs and can move the weight, but my grip is crap and I struggle to hold it. Damn sweaty palms
TXBowhunter
AG
Brock

Chalk is your friend.
Brock Sampson
AG
My hands are covered when I attempt DL and by the 3rd rep the sweat completely whipes it out. It's a pain in the arse.
irish pete ag06
AG
Sorry to hear that Brock. Are you using a mixed grip?

Workout 33
Squat 235
Bench 155
Row 140

I feel like bench is close to hitting a plateau. 235 on squat feels about the same as 225 which I guess is a good thing. I could see myself tapping out on squat at around 255. However we shall see.

I ended up missing last Friday's work out because of an unexpected golf outing. I planned on making it up on Saturday but got invited to play golf again for free at the nicest golf course in town. So I missed the workout but I had pretty good reason.
TXBowhunter
AG
Brock
You may need to go with straps. You could keep the loose on the first few reps, then tighten up on the last 2 or 3.
Brock Sampson
AG
Irish I use a traditional grip.

^I think I might have to do that next time.
irish pete ag06
AG
It's going to feel weird, but it may help.

Definitely get some warmup sets with it and progress the load up to your training set.
HUEY04
AG
You should be using a mixed grip (try both ways to see which is more natural for you) and plenty of chalk once you get into a somewhat heavy deadlift.
I will typically put the chalk on my hands heavy then also rub it into the knurling on the bar where I will grab it and then re-apply chalk to my hands before each set. I used to have problems with grip at anything above about 350 without chalk but recently did pin pulls at 495 with no grip issues.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
recently did pin pulls at 495 with no grip issues

Man... You and SACR are where I hope to be sometime in the next decade.
Bogey1996
Damn strep throat is going to keep me sidelined, probably most of the week. Will have to get back on it when I get my strength back.
Bocephus
AG
Brock,

Have you tried using gloves?

I did 265 on bench on Friday and did not get the last rep. I have been doing bench on every Monday & Friday. Decided to rest a little and will do 265 Wednesday this week.

Did 110 on OHP on Monday.
SACR
AG
BP: 345
Row: 145
SACR
AG

Squat: 185
DL: 185
OHP: 145
Bocephus
AG
Yesterday:

BP 265
Row 90
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 34

Squat 240, still rolling on this. The weight is a struggle. There's usually one rep in every set that seems like I might not make it, but I've been able to push through. I film every set and then delete it to check my form. Still getting parallel. Only weird thing is I feel like my lower back muscle on the right works harder during squat. It gets tight faster than the left side does. I'm trying to make sure I am balanced and I appear to be on film.

OHP 105

Dead 275 again. I missed the 5th rep. I fixed my form to where I maintained my back angle through the lift. I could have got the 5th rep if I had of sacrificed form, but what's the point in that if you're trying to do things right. I'll be doing 275 again next time and if I don't get it, I'll be deloading.

TXBowhunter
AG
Irish: I have been doing hyperextensions to strenghten my lower back. Just a thought.

S 230 I did box squats for my warmup sets. Although my form has been good, I think this helped even more.

BP 170

Row 160 I am really suprised that I have not slowed down on rows at this point. They keep coming up with form.
Brock Sampson
AG
Changed my grip today and wow what a difference. Was able to get 250 every rep very easily. I was actually very surprised at the huge difference.
SACR
AG
irish,

How many workouts have you missed reps on DL?

I believe the recommendation is that if you miss reps at a weight for three consecutive workouts, then cut back by 10%. I don't think missing one rep on the fifth set on DL is worth cutting weight on. You're strong enough to do the weight, you just need to do it.

[This message has been edited by SACR (edited 4/25/2013 3:50p).]
irish pete ag06
AG
SACR,

This is the first missed rep of deadlift. I got 5 on 275 a week ago, but my form suffered. I tried to stay perfect with form this time and missed the last rep.

You are right I'll have to miss it 2 more times before deloading. I'll get all 5 on Monday and start going back up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.