Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,313 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Dr T and the Women
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hurt my back doing dl so taking a week off. Ironically first time I tried a belt because I thought it was safer with heavier weights
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HUEY04
AG
A properly made belt will definitely help support your back if worn and used properly. You need a belt that is the same size (between 3"-4" wide) all the way around. If you just have what most gyms have which is wider in the back you can wear it with the wide part in the front. You want to get it above your hip bones and under your ribs and fairly snug then take a deep breath into your stomach and flex your abs against it and hold that throughout the lift. The point is to increase the pressure in your chest and abdominal cavity to support your spine.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 15

Squat 175
Bench 115 (went up 10 from last time)
Row 100

Bottlerocket
AG
ill play.

Workout 9
Squat: 125
Bench: 110
Barbell row: 110

Missed one workout due to a sinus infection, but I'm really enjoying 5x5
tamu2009
AG
Workout 7- finally feel like working out hard

Squat 155
Bench 125 (took a 10 jump) looking to jump 10 again and be at my 1st goal of 135
Row 75
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 16

Squat 180
OHP 85
Dead lift 205

Fun! Love this workout. I'm wondering how long it will be before I have a deload. The weight is starting to feel heavy, but I don't feel close to failure.
TXBowhunter
AG
#13 last night
Squat 155
Bp 120
BR 105
Need to bump 10 lbs on bench again.
yeahtoast
AG
#10 last night

Squat: 235, going to have to deload soon. Felt myself pushing off with my toes as the last set got...uncomfortable.
Bench: 115 <- god I suck at bench.
Row: 105

Since I skipped deadlift (tapped out from squats), did sitting barbell OHP @ 70

Feeling stronger, which is the goal, but still dissapointed in my bench weight. Is it sad that I can't wait to get to 135 just to get to the plates?
txaggie05
AG
Taking a break this week. Running a half marathon this weekend and don't want to kill my legs.
tamu2009
AG
Making gains and starting to get heavy. I struggled to get my last rep of each set on press and the last 2 were tough on squats.

Session 8
Squat 160
Press 70
Deads 170 (need to jump by 20 I think.)
austinAG90
AG
I have started this program myself, works well for older guys too. Question, how has the fat or say lost inches been on the program? I could lose some weight but like the fact that I am getting stronger.

tia
HUEY04
AG
I didn't follow this exact program (I started with much higher weights) but did all of the same lifts at 5 sets of 5 for the first 6 months with some minor accessory work at 3 sets of 10 when I got back in the gym about 1.5 years ago.
I have also been trying to get my protein intake up to 1g/lb of lean body mass per day and have cut total calories. In 1.5 years I am only down 33lbs total but have taken my belt in 3.5 inches. My lifts have increased by about 170lbs on squat, 100lbs on bench, 70lbs overhead press, and 155lbs on deadlift in that time. The biggest change is looking at old pictures of myself compared to now.
irish pete ag06
AG
So pissed at myself.

Had a crazy day at work (I'm a coach, assistant head football coach, plus I teach 3 different preps). The AD/Head coach was out and that left me in charge. We had a black history program today that threw my schedule off a little. Then we had an "issue" in 8th period athletics with a confrontation between a coach and a kid. Of course, boss man is gone, so I'm in charge and have to handle it.

After school we were trained for an hour on giving the STAAR test. Then after that, we had track practice at a neighboring school's track since we are a 1a school and do not have our own track. By the time track practice was done and I got home it was 7 pm.

As soon as I walked through the door I cursed out loud when I remembered I had not lifted today. I usually lift right after track practice while the kids are in the weight room getting their lifts in also. This whole day's schedule was thrown off and it totally slipped my mind.

I'm doing it first thing in the morning before school, then I'll do my regular friday workout the next day after school to get back on track.

Sorry for the novel, just felt like venting about life getting in the way of my workout.
irish pete ag06
AG
Done this morning

Squat 185
Bench 120
Row 105

Squats getting close to feeling heavy. I videoed myself to make sure I was getting parallel, and I actually am still getting below parallel. Not sure how long I can keep squatting below parallel as the weight creeps closer to 200.
TXBowhunter
AG
Last night
S 160 feeling heavy
Ohp 75 ok
Dl 185 maybe my favorite

In 4 weeks i went from 178 to 187.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
In 4 weeks i went from 178 to 187.

I've been taking in 3200 calories a day. I'm at 190 right now. Never been this heavy. I think the heaviest I've ever been was around 185 in college when I lifted a lot.

My goal is to get to 200 then maintain while trying to increase size and strength.
TXBowhunter
AG
Ya. I am 6 1" and have never been quite this heavy. At 42 food still feels like it's hitting a frying pan. I would like to hit and maintain 200. Currently my jeans are filling out and my slim cut suits may get me a sexual harassment complaint soon.
I did try the gomad for about 5 or 6 days at the beginning but stopped. Constipation was unreal. I am drinking about half gallon per day now on top of 5 meals. No supplements.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Ya. I am 6 1" and have never been quite this heavy. At 42 food still feels like it's hitting a frying pan. I would like to hit and maintain 200. Currently my jeans are filling out and my slim cut suits may get me a sexual harassment complaint soon.
I did try the gomad for about 5 or 6 days at the beginning but stopped. Constipation was unreal. I am drinking about half gallon per day now on top of 5 meals. No supplements.

Yeah. I couldn't do the GOMAD. Didn't even try. I do drink 32 oz of milk a day with 50 grams of whey protein added to it.

Seems to have me gaining around .8 pounds a week.
irish pete ag06
AG
And this is on a 3200 calorie per day diet that I intake my body weight in protein.
tamu2009
AG
Hit my first goal today in bench.

Squat 165 (160 felt heavy on Wednesday, today didn't feel bad)
Bench 135 (feels good to get that plate on there and not miss a rep)
Row 80 (still feels a little light)

I'm down 15 pounds and probably a full inch since starting, but I feel like I'm about to stop losing with the muscle gain coming on.

I'm 5'11" and right at 200 right now. Feeling good. Thanks for the introduction irish.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Thanks for the introduction irish.

You're welcome bud. It's nice to have some people on here to communicate experiences with. Almost as good as having an actual workout partner.

Workout #18 (6 weeks complete)
This workout follows workout 17 from yesterday. I was wondering how my legs would hold up from squatting 2 days in a row. It was tough, and my legs are tired now. Glute and quads both feel tuckered out. OHP was awesome. I kind of got in the zone and felt like I could have added some weight and hit a PR today. Good workout!

Squat @ 190
OHP @ 90
Deadlift @ 215
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 165
Bench 125
Barbell Row 110

Squat was strong and rest was really light. Went off script a tad and did 2 sets of hyperextensions to work ham, glutes and lower back a little extra. Week 6 next week!
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm going to Mexico Friday. Flight leaves at 9am, so I won't be able to get my Friday workout in. I get back from Mexico on Tuesday and after driving home it will be close to 7 or 8 pm. I don't have a gym that I workout at in the town I live in. I just work out at the high school where I coach (it's a 35 minute commute).

Trying to decide to do 3 workouts this week by lifting on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday...

or just go Monday/Wednesday, have a 7 day break and resume on the next Wednesday.

What do you fellow stronglifters think I should do?
jks08
AG
Personally I'd crush it mon/tues/thurs with the break coming up
irish pete ag06
AG
That's what I am leaning towards JKS
TXBowhunter
AG
I would workout in the am on wed and latest pm Thursda as possiblepossible. I am going to have some similar issues in april.
fourthgenag09
AG
Is anybody running a calorie deficit/cutting? I'm at 20% BF and would like to get it down to 15%ish for my wedding in mid-May. 26 years old. Is this a good plan to start? I've been doing split routines similar to this for awhile - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/steve-cook-big-man-on-campus-12-week-college-trainer.html.

edit - also, I began a 4 week bootcamp this morning for fun. It's MWF in the morning. Should I do 5x5 in the PM or do Tues/Thurs/Sat?

[This message has been edited by fourthgenag09 (edited 3/4/2013 10:41a).]
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 19

Squat 195
Bench 125 (don't know why, but it had me do the same weight as last time... I did not catch it until I got home)
Row 110

Row has started the feel the heaviest of all the lifts. Probably because I am the least familiar with it.

Can't wait to hit 200 on squat Wednesday.

I got a little frustrated this weekend because I feel fatter than I have ever been. I know weighing 190 is higher than I have ever weighed before by probably close to 7-8 pounds. I started to think I am not seeing muscle gains, but only fat gains. Needless to say, I was a little frustrated.

Sunday I go to the driving range and get my wife to film my swing from behind. I got home later and watched it. After, I went back and watched a video from 1 year ago and that's when I noticed the difference.

The shirt that I'm wearing on the left fit a little looser than the one on the right, and I think the lighting may have something to do with it. However, I think I definitely look bigger one year later.

bam02
AG
I see a difference.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 20

Squat @ 200
OHP @ 95 (ties my 5 rep max prior to stronglifts, was not even really close to missing a rep, so every increase on this from now on is a PR)
Deadlift @ 225

Love it.

Think I may have plateau'ed at 190 on body weight, so I am about to have to adjust my diet again. I'm going to give it 1-2 more weeks to see if I'm still gaining.
Bottlerocket
AG
session 11
squat: 135
bench: 115
row: 115

still getting all my reps. form seems good - no joint issues at all with squats
tamu2009
AG
I think I tweaked my back doing deads on Monday. Taking the rest of the week off, and am going to start some lower back exercises next week.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I think I tweaked my back doing deads on Monday. Taking the rest of the week off, and am going to start some lower back exercises next week.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you feel better.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I see a difference.

Thanks for the confirmation.
TXBowhunter
AG
Irish.. I hit a plateau on weight gain too. Need to pound the food. Workout is going great. Not hitting any stalls but i do feel like i am working.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.