Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,363 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Aggie_buster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Workout #2 in the books.

After reading how everyone that didn't start with just the bar kind of regretted it, I had made the choice to start with just that as recommended. But man it feels incredibly strange to be lifting so light. Really kind of makes you leave your ego at the door as well as test your confidence to not care how light it looks and is!
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I'm a little curious how this program actually works... I want to try to get back to or surpass my previous best (365#) but I haven't lifted weights in 6-7 years but it seems like I'm starting off really low. I was able to do 5 reps of 245 the other day (now I'm sore as hell and regretting it) yet the app wants me to start at 122.5# for 5 reps. That seems way to light...

Is it worth starting off that light or should I step it up a little more?
Satellite of Love
quote:
Workout #2 in the books.

After reading how everyone that didn't start with just the bar kind of regretted it, I had made the choice to start with just that as recommended. But man it feels incredibly strange to be lifting so light. Really kind of makes you leave your ego at the door as well as test your confidence to not care how light it looks and is!

Proper form is 100x more important than looking like a bad ass in the gym. This is about and no one else. WGAS what others are lifting.
Jetpilot86
AG
If you want pain, stay heavy.

Start light, perfect form.

When I layoff too long and gave to cut back, I either do more reps at once to get the 25 total say 10/10/5, or move up 10lb vs 5, or both.

What is great about the workout is the progress with a lack of soreness, by following the program.
Aggie_buster
AG
quote:
quote:
Workout #2 in the books.

Proper form is 100x more important than looking like a bad ass in the gym. This is about and no one else. WGAS what others are lifting.

Exactly. Starting light has definitely allowed me to really just focus on proper form. I think in the long run and grand scheme of things it'll pay off as well as prevent me from getting hurt.

Workout #3 down.
Jetpilot86
AG
Oh and by week 12 you will be a gym bad ass
shano0603
AG
It's tough to scroll back through all of this thread to find... But who here has been pretty strong before starting this program and seen good strength results? Currently 1-rep maxes are 300 bench, 405 squat, and 500 DL at 183 pounds. TIA
Tx-Ag2010
AG
quote:
If you want pain, stay heavy.

Start light, perfect form.

When I layoff too long and gave to cut back, I either do more reps at once to get the 25 total say 10/10/5, or move up 10lb vs 5, or both.

What is great about the workout is the progress with a lack of soreness, by following the program.

Is starting light only about the form or is there some other advantage? I already have the form pretty much down. I'm going to give it a shot for kicks (I've wasted more time on other exercise plans and this seems to have a lot of people impressed) but if I don't feel a little sore I typically think I haven't been pushing myself.

I'm only three workouts in and I'm already back up to 5x265#.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Interested as well.
Satellite of Love
What can you do at 25 reps?
shano0603
AG
quote:
What can you do at 25 reps?

1 set of 25 on bench, probably 185... 5x5 on bench, which is what I assume you mean, probably 240-245. Squat 325. Deadlift 415.
Jetpilot86
AG
When I had a 3 or 4 week layoffs, I didn't cut back on the weight as much as the app recommended and my quads hurt worse for 3 days than they ever had before after a workout.

Now when I cut back I will do as many reps per set as I can complete at once, by 5's. Do maybe 10/10/5 and I have done straight sets of 25 at times. Since you're way ahead of me you may be able to do the extra reps that's easier. Another way to do it is to add 10 pounds instead of 5 pounds each time if your form is good . Do that and still until you start missing sets of five. Then switch to the recommended progression rate.

Strong this is more a beginners powerlifting program you may be getting to the advanced versions, 3x5 and 1x5 sooner rather than later.

The first time through the program before I took layoffs, I would set personal records in a session and never feel sore. In this program a lack of soreness does not equal a lack of progress.
AggieChemE09
AG
Yesterday was good. Garage has a good layout for working out.

SQ - 5x5 - 295 LBS
OHP - 5x5 - 155 LBS
DL - 1x5 - 355 LBS
Weighted Dips - 4,4,3,3,3 - +45 LBS
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
It's tough to scroll back through all of this thread to find... But who here has been pretty strong before starting this program and seen good strength results? Currently 1-rep maxes are 300 bench, 405 squat, and 500 DL at 183 pounds. TIA
I would suggest that this is not the program for you.

You may gain some in your #'s, but this is primarily a Novice Linear Progression program.

I'm no expert, but I'd think you'd have to be piling in the calories and getting a lot of rest/recovery to improve your numbers in a LP approach.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
quote:
I would suggest that this is not the program for you.

You may gain some in your #'s, but this is primarily a Novice Linear Progression program.

I'm no expert, but I'd think you'd have to be piling in the calories and getting a lot of rest/recovery to improve your numbers in a LP approach.

I disagree a little. Although I think what you're saying is that no one should rely on 5x5s to be their only program to use. However, I do think it can be phased in to any strength training cycle (novice or expert) along with 3x5s, 5/3/1, negatives, etc. Every athlete has certain phases for strength that could include basic conditioning, mass building (hypertrophy), max strength/power, and recovery. 5x5s are only a slice of an overall strategy or program. Some people (really most people) never complete a full strength cycle tailored to their goals, so they wind up always coming back to something basic like 5x5 after a long layoff.

AggieChemE09
AG
I still do SL 5x5 for a few reasons. Even though I have been lifting for years, I have 2 friends that have never lifted before and needed some guidance and I know they feel alot better knowing I am willing to do the same program as them.

Another reason is that for many years I was afraid of reinjuring my back so I neglected Squats and Deadlift in my routines. I am close to evening out my numbers, but my squat and deadlift still fall pretty far behind my Bench.

Also, it is just so easy to keep track of.
aggiespartan
AG
Hopefully I can get started on this next week. I got my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday, so I haven't been able to anything strenuous. I'm probably going to go try to do some practice reps first to make sure I don't get crushed by the bar since I usually go to the gym at a time when it's pretty empty.
Jab
AG
For those who have followed a 5/3/1 program, did you use an app similar to SL to track progress? I see a few options, although I'm guessing they won't be as user-friendly as the SL app.

I've been stalling on all lifts for the past few weeks (started SL in late January) and I'm considering changing things up at some point in the near future.
Jetpilot86
AG
My alternate app is Strong. Very customizable.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
For those who have followed a 5/3/1 program, did you use an app similar to SL to track progress? I see a few options, although I'm guessing they won't be as user-friendly as the SL app.

I've been stalling on all lifts for the past few weeks (started SL in late January) and I'm considering changing things up at some point in the near future.
I've been using Wendler Log and it does the trick. I'm too cheap to pay for the accessory logging though.
Jab
AG
Did you buy the "power pack" upgrade? I can't figure out a way to customize it otherwise.
Jetpilot86
AG
you need the power pack to customize stronglifts app, I think the free Strong app can be customized
BCOBQ98
AG
quote:
quote:

Is starting light only about the form or is there some other advantage? I already have the form pretty much down. I'm going to give it a shot for kicks (I've wasted more time on other exercise plans and this seems to have a lot of people impressed) but if I don't feel a little sore I typically think I haven't been pushing myself.

Three workouts after a 6-7 year lapse and you are benching 5x265#? I'm impressed!

I feel like I'm a decent size guy but I've been lifting probably 2x a week for the past year (with a few occasional lapses and I'm at 5x225. I gain about 5lbs on bench a month. Either I'm doing something wrong or some of you have good genetics.
StringerBell
AG
Y'all are making me feel bad about only being at like 125 on the bench
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
You should, brofessor.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Three workouts after a 6-7 year lapse and you are benching 5x265#? I'm impressed!

I feel like I'm a decent size guy but I've been lifting probably 2x a week for the past year (with a few occasional lapses and I'm at 5x225. I gain about 5lbs on bench a month. Either I'm doing something wrong or some of you have good genetics.

5 pounds a month isn't too bad...

I'm also a pretty good sized individual at 6'4" 245# (reasonably solid). I lost a fair bit of strength not working out but endurance is where I got hit hard.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Don't worry, I only do the bar. But I'm also a 110lb female.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
That is no excuse. My 57 year old mom has hit 135 on bench.
StringerBell
AG
Oh I'm confident I could do more. I just started a couple of weeks ago with just the bar and am trying to follow the program to a T.
bmks270
AG
I just ue the Android memo app and enter my workouts like below and keep going until the note maxes characters and I start a new one:

5/11
Front squat 145x7, 200x5, 185x5, 185x5,
Bb OHP 105x10, 105x5+1, 105x5,
RDL 135x10, 135x10,
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm just starting.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm just starting.
I'm just giving you ****. Keep it up. Everyone starts at the bottom. Most women won't even lift weights.
AggieChemE09
AG
Aggie_buster
AG
Workout #4 done.
TommyGun
AG
I'm sure it's probably been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I have really enjoyed watching some of Mark Rippetoe's videos on lifting form. I thought I knew a lot since I had lifted all through high school and into college, but I have really benefited from utilizing some of the tips he recommends. My squat form and OHP have really improved and I've never been more confident to add more weight on the squat bar.

I knew I needed to make a change on my squat form as I started getting into some heavier weights. I was using a high bar position that put a ton of compression on my spine and my grip caused severe strain on my wrists and elbows. For years I thought this was just part of the deal with lifting heavy weights and I would work through the pain. I guess I was too naive in high school to think about switching things up.

Now after switching to a low bar position and correcting my grip it is like a brand new exercise for me. I'd recommend them for anyone who is just starting out or even if you're like me and think you know a lot already.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.