Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,289 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been making progress on the 3x5:

Squat 3x5 385lbs
Bench 3x5 225lbs
Row 3x5 230lbs
OHP 3x5 140lbs
DL ... 3 grip failures at 375lbs - deloading to 335lbs

My grip has been giving me a hard time on my DLs lately. I've limited my number of warm up sets, and I switch to a mixed grip for anything over 315, but I'm going to have to try something new to keep going up in weight.
rshackelford
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Been making progress on the 3x5:

Squat 3x5 385lbs
Bench 3x5 225lbs
Row 3x5 230lbs
OHP 3x5 140lbs
DL ... 3 grip failures at 375lbs - deloading to 335lbs

My grip has been giving me a hard time on my DLs lately. I've limited my number of warm up sets, and I switch to a mixed grip for anything over 315, but I'm going to have to try something new to keep going up in weight.

I have run into the same problem on deadlifts. Grip failures and bar drops from the top. They're not only painful but they're dangerous. Now I know there are a lot of purists out there. I was one for a while. Grip strength is one of the key area of gains with DL, but at some point you have to ask if it's worth sacrificing the rest of your body just for your grip. To me it isn't

I started using wrist straps for only my last set on DL and it has made a world of difference. I don't use them on any of the warmup or working sets leading up to the final heaviest set and I don't use them on my rows. I agree with the purists that grip strength is important and I hate how unbalanced the switch grip feels. So I do raw lifts up until the very last and heaviest DL set in which I put on the wrist straps. It has made a tremendous difference and improvement on my form and ability to keep the numbers going up. What's the old saying "no straps no traps". I'd rather keep the weight moving up and build my back and traps more than obsess so much about grip and only grip. As it gets heavier the grip will come along too.

Watch just about any competitive lifter moving huge weight. Not all, but most are using straps or hooks on their heaviest sets. Yeah there are some freaks out there pulling 700-800 pounds bare handed but it seems fairly uncommon to see.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Been on this program for a month and hit my first failure on OHP... only 75 lbs.
Man those are killer.

Otherwise, I'm really liking the program and results so far. Especially for someone who has pretty much no lifting experience.
bam02
AG
Stick with it! Follow the app and it will keep you moving more weight.

I had great results with it.
Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
Be really careful. I'd hate to discourage you but I remember you saying somewhere you have back issues. Smith machines are potentially dangerous for the back. Seems like the opposite would be true but it's not.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
Been on this program for 6 months.

Gained strength. Lost fat. Gained muscle. Look in the mirror and dont recognize my own body anymore. Feel as good as I ever have. Back and neck issues from sitting too much have cleared up.

Deadlift well over 300lbs now. Squats are moving along at a good clip. Not much change in bench but still pretty solid.

De-loaded several times. I take a week off now and then to fully recover. Havent been a freak about it. Ive skipped workouts on occasion, but just stuck with the program. I'm not on a special diet. Don't go crazy or anything but i certianly don't watch what I eat. Only change is making sure to eat enough protien. Usually yogurt and eggs.

Wish would have started this program 20 years ago.

Download the app. Pay the dude a few bucks for the upgrade version that calculates the plates for you. He deserves it. Solid app. No brainer.

Dont listen to all the other BS on weightlifting. Its a waste of time energy. There are a million different ways to skin a cat, but this one works and is simple. The app tells you exactly what to do and keeps track of everything for you.
AGTX
AG
AGTX
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Been on this program for a month and hit my first failure on OHP... only 75 lbs.
Man those are killer.

Otherwise, I'm really liking the program and results so far. Especially for someone who has pretty much no lifting experience.
I'm not on this program any more, but I OHPed 115 for 3 reps this week. I've come a long way!
K Bo
AG
I've hit a plateau where I lack motivation to get in the gym. I did the program with some success about two years ago, I think I might give it a go again. Anyone still doing it?
Jetpilot86
AG
In the same boat, and thinking about doing the same
LevelAg
I started about six weeks ago and really like the program. I've never been much of a weightlifter though. I'm a runner and have lifted higher reps to build endurance. I decided to give this a try to build more strength.
Madmarttigan
AG
I just started a few weeks ago. Not very strong or athletic , but will see where this takes me. Would love to actually be able to bench/squat my body weight for once.
bam02
AG
It's a GREAT program. Especially with the app. Just be patient, start light, and don't skip ahead. It will get heavy soon and the steady incremental growth sets you up for continued progress once it gets really challenging.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Started this last week after ignoring this thread for five years. I've been doing a version of CrossFit for ~4 months, but my 15 year old was needing a program to add good strength. He and I had been doing some lifting mixed with CrossFit for about a month, but this looks perfect to help him gain good strength.

I started with him a week ago.

After 3 workouts:
squat: 105
BP: 100
BR: 70
OP: 50
DL: 165

He's doing well- I'll keep you posted...
bam02
AG
Man I wished I would have had a program like Stronglifts when I was 15. I would've become an unstoppable force instead if the stoppable force that I am now.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Started this yesterday, let's see where it takes me.
hurricanejake02
AG
Well, I'm back in for Round... 3? 4? Eh, I'm not sure anymore.

A week before the twins were born (September '17), I was at:
SQ: 425 3x5
BP: 235 3x5
Row: 235 3x5
OHP: 160 5/5/4
DL: 385 1x5

I attempted a self-modified HLM version of 5x5 back in January, and kept it up for 3 or 4 weeks, but I just didn't really have my schedule worked out to be able to spend time with the kids and get a decent work out in.

Now I'm 2 weeks in to starting over. The girls are a little better about sleeping through the night, and I've worked hard to go to bed earlier and train myself to wake up at 5am to workout (I'm a natural night owl). So as of tomorrow, I'm at:
SQ: 210 3x5
BP: 145 3x5
Row: 145 3x5
OHP: 100 3x5
DL: 215 1x5

I was amazed at how sore I was starting back up, but I had essentially gone 7 months since I was lifting seriously. I'm going to give it another week or so of 5lb increments, and then start jumping up where it feels natural.

Ag Eng 92
AG
After 6 workouts:
squat: 120
BP: 105
BR: 80
OP: 55
DL: 185

We'll be back on the A workout Thursday, and I think the 110 bench will be a challenge for him, but he's gutted the last two out... other lifts look real good for him.
Trident15
AG
Been doing SL off and on for a while. Going to stick with it this time and use this thread as accountability.
Squat 105
Bench 95
OHP 60
DL 105
Row 60
Frok
AG
bam02 said:

It's a GREAT program. Especially with the app. Just be patient, start light, and don't skip ahead. It will get heavy soon and the steady incremental growth sets you up for continued progress once it gets really challenging.

Did my first day today. Patience for sure. BP at 65lbs felt a bit silly.

K Bo
AG
I switched from low-bar squat to high-bar squat to hopefully ease some of my elbow pain. Starting [over] so light is really helping me get comfortable in the new position.
bam02
AG
Frok said:

bam02 said:

Did my first day today. Patience for sure. BP at 65lbs felt a bit silly.

Your patience and dedication will pay off soon.
Frok
AG
Second day completed. I did some light cardio yesterday. Trying to figure out where I am going to fit that in once this really gets going. Cardio is my de-stresser for many of my days.
Farmer1906
AG
I keep finding myself coming back to this when I get into a funk working out.

Day 1
Bench 155
Squat 185
BOR 115
Madmarttigan
AG
So not being much of a weight lifter in the past, starting this program I have now seen on multiple days the guy doing bicep curls with the bar on the squat rack. Made me smile thinking of the texags pet peeve thread.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Ag Eng 92 said:

After 6 workouts:
squat: 120
BP: 105
BR: 80
OP: 55
DL: 185

We'll be back on the A workout Thursday, and I think the 110 bench will be a challenge for him, but he's gutted the last two out... other lifts look real good for him.

The last couple of weeks have been sporadic with some travel and other conflicts, but we're making progress. Son couldn't finish 110 on BP 10 days ago but got it yesterday.

Completed lifts so far:
SQ: 145
BP: 110
BR: 90
SP: 65
DL: 205
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
One month in and I'm loving it. Starting to hit my max in certain lifts, yet still going strong in others.

Completed lifts so far:
SQ: 185
BP: 160
BR: 105
OP: 105
DL: 205
Frok
AG
I've been doing this program for a couple months now. The hardest part has been securing the equipment needed at the gym.

SQ: 190
OP: 95
DL: 190
BP:155
ROW: 140

My question is I see that some people switch to 3x5 after a while. I'm curious because some of these are getting really tough and I wonder if I am overloading my body some. I like it, but just a little concerned on how much longer I can sustain this.

Madmarttigan
AG
I think the app may actually switch you to 3x5 or something because when I did my bp @ 155 yesterday it only had the option for 3 sets.
Formerly tv1113
bam02
AG
He app has some simple algorithm that switches you to 3x5 after some combination of failures and deloads. Stick with it. It's supposed to get tough!
Madmarttigan
AG
Good to know I thought I had clicked something wrong. I don't know that I could have done sets 4 and 5 anyways lol.
Formerly tv1113
hurricanejake02
AG
Here's the explanation on why and when to switch to 3x5:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#321553215312153

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.