Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,380 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Zeke1995
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For squats, the progression, if I recall correctly, is

5x45
5x45
3x95
3x135
3x185
2x205
2x225
etc.

If there is a particular work weight you wanted to know about, I can check the app and put the specific progression here for you.
drumbeat10
I think there is also a spreadsheet you can use for the warmups from Mehdi's website.

Been going for almost a month now and really happy with the progress already.
Jetpilot86
AG
Forgot about the spreadsheet.

Keep posting guys, have slacked off for awhile and getting antsy to get back on the program now that I've healed my tennis elbow.
hurricanejake02
AG
Well, after bouts of minor injury, minor illness, and laziness, I'm almost back to setting PRs with each workout.

Starting with minimal weight on 9/2/2014, I peaked with successful 5x5 workout at:

SQ 295lbs 5x5 1/21/2015
OHP 125lbs 5x5 12/8/2014
DL 315lbs 1x5 12/8/2014 (failed twice at 325lbs, grip gave out)
BP 195lbs 5x5 12/5/2014 (failed at 200lbs)
ROW 190lbs 5x5 12/10/2014

Today I'll go for my first attempt at 300lb squats, and I'm back to being within 5-10lbs of each of the rest of those peaks. As frustrating as it was, I'm glad I deloaded when I did - I didn't have the strength to go right back at it after missing a week of workouts.

I've also been doing the assistance arm work since that pack was released in October. LA Fitness doesn't have a traditional pull-up bar anywhere, so my chin-ups are all wide-grip at the dip station, and I'm having a hell of a time getting a total of 10 reps across 3 sets. Weighted dips are going better, and I'm now at bodyweight +35lbs for 3x5.
Hullabaque
AG
Problem solved on the warm-up exercises. My wife had an old Samsung phone she wasn't using anymore. I put the app on there and purchased the warm-up program. That definitely adds to the workout.
lp01
AG
Well, I've been at this program since the day after Christmas. I had my first stalls today. Got 5/5/5/5/4 on OHP @ 105 and was only able to do 2 reps of Deadlift @ 215. Almost got OHP, but just couldn't quite get that last one. Should be able to get it next time. Feel pretty good that I made it this far in without a stall considering sleep has been intermittent the last three weeks with a newborn and a two year old that now wants to sleep in bed with us.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I started this in earnest this week. I'm interested in seeing if I can be as successful as some of you folks have been.
Wade_3
AG
I am finding that my squats are improving much slower than they have in the past (just hit 35 so I'm not as spry as I once was).

I am sitting at 340# on the squat after having to deload down to 315# for a few weeks because of a sharp pain on the outside of my right knee (any thoughts on what's causing this?). So I am essentially the same place that I was about a month ago.

My OHP is in a rut at 160#-165# and I just can't seem to push past that.

My BP peaked at 270# but the stars must have aligned perfectly that day because now I am back down to 250#-255#

My DL is picking up steam and I was able to do 1x5 at 425#. My last rep on that set was a little harder than normal, but I don't have any problems progressing here.

My ROW is up to 190#, but I know I can keep adding weight and be ok.

Just concerned with BP, OHP and pain in my knee when squatting. The only equipment I wear are Risto Oly lifting shoes...I don't like squatting/deadlifting in tennis shoes, afraid I will roll my ankle. I do abbreviated warm ups on squat and my form is pretty good...Just not sure what is causing the knee pain...maybe overwork at high weights?
512Ag
AG
I just finished week 2, and I could not be more pleased so far. Even though I'm not into heavy weights yet, I feel so much better -- physically and mentally. I am sleeping hard through the night, I have more energy when I'm awake, and I feel a lot better about myself. I'm sure I'm the only one who can actually see the difference, but it's there. My pants even fit [slightly] better.
hurricanejake02
AG
Good job! You'll really start seeing the difference when you realize that you're adding a plate to each side of the bar every 6-7 weeks (for SQ and DL).
Furlock Bones
AG
well, i'm getting back in the game. winter was not good to me. always a struggle to get started back in the gym after a long lay off.
blazer18
I'm starting to fail every other workout, or every 3rd workout on the squats and my lower back is pretty tight. Shouls I take a couple days off or will that decrease the progress I've made? I'm trying to get another 35lbs on squat and 30lbs on bench by April 1st.
culdeus
AG
I'm really struggling with squat now again. Based on some advice of the 5x5 brahs at the gym I changed my footwear from more cross trainer type shoes to 0 lift shoes. This has helped my front back balance a lot but I'm actually struggling to get ATG more with the new shoes than with the cross trainers. I feel like the cross trainers perhaps were giving me a crutch to overcome my flexiblity issues.

Everything else is ok. My wrist were sore from an old cycling injury for awhile but even that isn't so bad anymore.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
I'm really struggling with squat now again. Based on some advice of the 5x5 brahs at the gym I changed my footwear from more cross trainer type shoes to 0 lift shoes. This has helped my front back balance a lot but I'm actually struggling to get ATG more with the new shoes than with the cross trainers. I feel like the cross trainers perhaps were giving me a crutch to overcome my flexiblity issues.

Everything else is ok. My wrist were sore from an old cycling injury for awhile but even that isn't so bad anymore.
you probably ought to back down the weight and work on the flexibility. you made the right move going to no lift shoes.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I'm starting to fail every other workout, or every 3rd workout on the squats and my lower back is pretty tight. Shouls I take a couple days off or will that decrease the progress I've made? I'm trying to get another 35lbs on squat and 30lbs on bench by April 1st.
The problem is that you are focusing on deadlines, not just lifting the weight. Lift the weight, the rest takes care of itself.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
my lower back is pretty tight.
How much stretching are you doing?
TurboVelo
AG
quote:
Oh and by vary it up, I mean use this workout for the recommended 12 weeks, then use a different one for a few weeks.

I want to gain 10 pounds of lean body mass at least before August 1. (if that's possible)

Then this is not the best program for you. I'd look at the German Volume Training / 10 Sets Method program.

Contrary to the myth, you want to lift heavy to gain strength, and lift repetitively to gain mass.
blazer18
After getting a good stretch and rest yesterday i failed on squats again today, worse than on Tuesday. Im going to take the rest of the weekend off and deload about 15% on everything starting monday and focus on form. Ive been really happy with the gains so far thought, both strength and physique.
hurricanejake02
AG
Are you only failing on squats, or on other lifts as well?

How far are you into the program?
blazer18
Squats and OHP for the first time the other day. I started at the beginin of Jan. I probably didn't start with light enough weight on the squats.
hurricanejake02
AG
If you're only failing every other or every third workout, I'd say keep moving forward. No need to deload unless you're failing at the same weight multiple times in a row.

When you do deload, only drop weight on the lifts that you're dropping reps. No need to back off your BP because you're dropping squat reps. The only time you need to deload across the board is if you've missed a week+ of workouts.
culdeus
AG
I'm really struggling to add weight with squat as well. Everything else is still on schedule.

I really wonder if the every other day squat thing is just simply too much volume for a pure beginner.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've had failures on everything but squats...

I did find that chalk helped my DL infinitely more than switching to a mixed grip. I'm currently hitting 340lbs with a double overhand, chalked.
culdeus
AG
If I can't get all the way down and out of it with clean form i don't count it. By the 4th and 5th set i'm usually at the point where on the 3rd or 4th rep i'm just trying to get to parallel.
hurricanejake02
AG
How wide open are your hips? You may need to do some stretching work to really get them to open up.
512Ag
AG
Alright, I know this question is stupid and annoying, but I'm going to ask anyway:

At what point will I be able to actually see some muscle gains in the mirror? I can definitely feel the difference, no doubt. I'm on week 4 (skipped last week due to family vacation) and I'm just curious. Not freaking out or anything, just wondering.
hurricanejake02
AG
It'll depend on your body type - if you're heavier and still lifting relatively light, it'll take longer than if you were skinny and just starting to lift.

I noticed it in my quads before anything else - most noticeably in the fact that it was hard to get my keys/phone in and out of my jean pockets. Shoulders/traps came a little later. This isn't necessarily a bodybuilding program (or at least I haven't looked at it that way), but you will see some results if you stick with it.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Alright, I know this question is stupid and annoying, but I'm going to ask anyway:

At what point will I be able to actually see some muscle gains in the mirror? I can definitely feel the difference, no doubt. I'm on week 4 (skipped last week due to family vacation) and I'm just curious. Not freaking out or anything, just wondering.
Wish I had kept better track of my early progress to be able to better answer this. Like Jake, I first noticed muscle gains in my quads and glutes, but it took a couple months.

I got vain and switched to All Pro not long ago and can see much more muscle gain, but I've also lost some strength.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree. I noticed it in my quads fairly quickly.
Hullabaque
AG
7 weeks in and my weights are:

Squat - 205
BP - 170
OH - 105
BR - 115
DL - 185

I haven't had a failure yet, but I was close on OH press at 105. I have OH at 110 tomorrow.....it will be interesting to see if I can get it.

I'm definitely starting to feel the workouts now, which is a good thing. The next four weeks should get me into some pretty difficult territory, although I'm looking forward to it. Initially I thought I would get bored of only working out 3 days a week. However, now that the weights are getting heavier, I love it. I mix in a cardio workout every now and then on my off days. Although going forward I think I'm just going to take advantage of the rest days and do nothing....maybe a few stretch routines, but that's it.
drumbeat10
Also done about 7 weeks of the program here and my weights are below:

Squat: 160
Bench: 120
OHP: 95
Deadlift: 205
Row: 125

Its definitely getting to the point of being a struggle on almost every lift but I haven't failed any yet. I am starting to notice a bit of difference in the mirror and I can definitely tell a difference running my hands over my quads and my arms.

Looking forward to seeing how much further I can go!
Farmer1906
AG
After taking 6-7 weeks off, I am getting back into it because I get lazy and don't squat enough without a program. I deloaded some, but ramping back uo quickly.
hurricanejake02
AG
I'm six and a half months in, and my weights are (as of yesterday):

Squat: 360lbs
Bench: 210lbs
Row: 200 lbs
OHP: 135lbs (finally got to a plate!)
Dead: 360lbs

I've definitely put on some muscle mass, but my weight has stayed the same (250lbs, I'm not trying to gain weight here)

I've still got to get the diet cleaner - I'm doing better than I was, but not what I could be.

I did just recently (this week) start adding some interval runs after my workouts, I'm thinking twice a week. Started out with a 5 min warmup jog, then 15 sec sprints followed by 45 second rest - for 10 repetitions, and then a cool down. Thirty minutes for a pretty decent cardio workout.
blazer18
Jake that's awesome on the OHP. I'm hoping to finally get 115# there next Monday.
Currently:
240 Squat
185 Bench
140 BBR
115 OHP
275 DL

I deloaded some two weeks ago after some failures and i think that has helped as I'm almost back to where i was an and haven't felt close to failure yet.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I'm six and a half months in, and my weights are (as of yesterday):

Squat: 360lbs
Bench: 210lbs
Row: 200 lbs
OHP: 135lbs (finally got to a plate!)
Dead: 360lbs

I've definitely put on some muscle mass, but my weight has stayed the same (250lbs, I'm not trying to gain weight here)

I've still got to get the diet cleaner - I'm doing better than I was, but not what I could be.

I did just recently (this week) start adding some interval runs after my workouts, I'm thinking twice a week. Started out with a 5 min warmup jog, then 15 sec sprints followed by 45 second rest - for 10 repetitions, and then a cool down. Thirty minutes for a pretty decent cardio workout.
Its funny how we get to different weights at different paces.

For me I was /am ahead of you on Bench & OHP, yet behind you on Squats, Row, and DL.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.