Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,362 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Wade_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Culdeus,

Before I started powerlifting, I couldn't break 225# on squats. Prior to doing 5x5 I was able to do 405# for a one rep max and that was after months of Xfit.

After about a month, month and a half of 5x5 I was able to do 405# for a full five ATG reps. If you stick with the program you will have massive gains in no time.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
quote:
Aggie1906,

I was a ways into it when I started feelin sore from the workouts. I took a break for awhile but doing it for the last 2-3 weeks I'm back up to

325# squat
455# DL
235# BP
155# OHP

For squats, 385# was when it got difficult for me and took more than 2 weeks to feel comfortable pushing past it.

I think it a different for everyone though.

JFC. I don't even know what 455 would look like.

Is there someone on here that basically never lifted much more than their body weight on anything that got up to numbers like this on a line?
I'm certainly not to those numbers yet, but I'd never deadlifted before, and never squat or BP more than 135.

13ish weeks on 5x5, currently at:
295# squat
325# DL
200# BP
130# ohp
195# row

Wade_3
AG
Hurricane,

Great job! That is awesome that you went from no DL to 325# in 13 weeks!

Same with doubling your squat!
culdeus
AG
That's sick progress. Would be pumped to get near that.

Interesting that OHP slowed. When you slowed down what were your rep counts like there?
Farmer1906
AG
Keep in mind OHP is likely going to be the lowest for everyone. Those muscles cant put up 300 pounds like DL, Squats, & Bench.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
That's sick progress. Would be pumped to get near that.

Interesting that OHP slowed. When you slowed down what were your rep counts like there?
I was typically seeing 5/5/5/5/4, and more recently 5/5/5/4/3. Just couldn't muscle out those last couple reps.
culdeus
AG
Well, I'm running into my first issues. I'm afraid my scolosis is starting to rear it's ugly head here. Back squats are starting to cause some discomfort. I've had form checked by some pros and it's solid.

I'm starting to wonder if I did warmup on the bar and then moved to the sled for the rest I could maintain the increases. Over time I might so like a sled day and a bar day alternating or 2 for 1 as the legs get stronger.

I am due to get a checkup on the back anyways at the first of the year so I'll ask the Dr. his thoughts, but I imagine he's gonna say it's a hard no.

My back has never really given me any issues before, and what it is is pretty minor at the moment, but still worth checking out.
Farmer1906
AG
That is a bummer. I am not qualified to give you any advice on sleds or what not, but some replacement for squats > not doing squats.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Well, I'm running into my first issues. I'm afraid my scolosis is starting to rear it's ugly head here. Back squats are starting to cause some discomfort. I've had form checked by some pros and it's solid.

I'm starting to wonder if I did warmup on the bar and then moved to the sled for the rest I could maintain the increases. Over time I might so like a sled day and a bar day alternating or 2 for 1 as the legs get stronger.

I am due to get a checkup on the back anyways at the first of the year so I'll ask the Dr. his thoughts, but I imagine he's gonna say it's a hard no.

My back has never really given me any issues before, and what it is is pretty minor at the moment, but still worth checking out.

First, hope you work it out.
Don't know what weight you are up to, but it is a number you can be content with just staying at for an extended period, letting your body catch up some, then start adding to again slower?
culdeus
AG
My worry is that it's not really a muscle catchup issue, but more a spine can't take the load issue. More structural than muscular.

From searching on the internets seems some can tolerate it and some can't. There are some powerlifters with scoliosis too.

For my back I've worked with "movement coaches" before when doing lots of running and later cycling. They helped me pick a bike and shoes and setup my stuff. They are extremely liberal about doing things with conditions as long as you get the right advice. Much moreso than doctors, but some have MD as well.

I go to the cooper clinic who uses these types of trainer/coaches/md as well as my traditional md for osteo.
Jetpilot86
AG
Then I would lean toward find the maximum your spine can tolerate and add reps vs weight.
culdeus
AG
Well day after using a combo of bar and sled and I feel 100% better. I'll still visit dr. but planning on doing the warmup on the bar and sled for working set till I get a full gameplan.

These guys I've seen deal with injured vets that are missing body parts and stuff and still want to do triathlons or climb Everest and stuff like that. Pretty sure saying I want to squat 225 with a 30 degree curve in my back is in the cards. Just need to get a gameplan.

Farmer1906
AG
After some aggressive weight increases (compared to what the plan says), I am starting to feel it a little on squats.

After 10 workouts, here is where I stand. I have a feeling in another 10 without big increases and I'll get to my first failure. When did everyone else start failing/not getting all 5x5?

Squat - 255#
OHP - 120#
DL - 275#
BP - 195#
BR - 115#
hurricanejake02
AG
Where you're at, I'd already had failures on the OHP and the BP.

Curious, why the big difference between your BP and BR? Mine have stayed pretty close together, with a couple of failures to get the last BR reps all the way to my chest without breaking form.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Where you're at, I'd already had failures on the OHP and the BP.

Curious, why the big difference between your BP and BR? Mine have stayed pretty close together, with a couple of failures to get the last BR reps all the way to my chest without breaking form.
I had a pretty good idea what my max was on BP. I never went that heavy on BR previously so I just kind of guessed. I am not close to failure on either yet, but no way my BR could keep up with my BP.
culdeus
AG
Had first fail on OHP at a weak ass weight of 75 went 55455 on it. This is the first time the thing told me to warmup so i did 2x5 at 45 first real fast. Was a breeze. Both first sets of 75 were nothing then something kicked in on the 3rd set hardcore. Absolutely couldn't get the bar up. Rested it off 4 minutes and had no issue getting the last two sets in. I realize 75# is nothing but I've never really lifted much before.

Also, so today DL was 155 or something in that range. Warmup was at 135. So 1x5 at 135 and 1x5 at 155 or whatever. Seems a little odd for the low rep set to be that close on the warmup. Does the warmup just stay at 135 forever?

I've been warming up with the bar on squats and using the sled just to keep pressure off my spine. Planning on doing that for a bit then deloading and trying back squats again for one or two of the sets in a week or two. Back is totally fine for the moment.

hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
Seems a little odd for the low rep set to be that close on the warmup. Does the warmup just stay at 135 forever?
In order to get the bar sufficiently off the ground, you really can't DL less than 135.

First warmup set will stay at 135. As you add more warmup sets, you'll add 50lbs/40lbs/50lbs/40lbs etc... (25s and 45s)

My current DL warmup:
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x265
culdeus
AG
also, is it ok to ohp in a squat cage? It's not curling right?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
When you get heavy enough (different for each person) then yes use it. Otherwise it might be tough (dangerous?) to get the weight in the correct position. If its manageable and someone needs to squat then I would let them use it assuming you have a bar, weight, and room somewhere else.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
quote:
When you get heavy enough (different for each person) then yes use it. Otherwise it might be tough (dangerous?) to get the weight in the correct position. If its manageable and someone needs to squat then I would let them use it assuming you have a bar, weight, and room somewhere else.
I do - every time. Because I'm not working on cleans, I'm working on OHP, and it's the only rack in my gym to work from at the correct height.

Also - OHP is between squats and deads, so, I'm already there.
Farmer1906
AG
Good points.
culdeus
AG
well where I'm at they have little premade barbells with everything from 10 to 70 in increments of 5 on a rack so today was first time I pushed past those.

Felt like I was getting "the stare".

If I don't do them there not totally sure where I would do them unless I just grabbed it off the floor to start, which still is an option for me.
culdeus
AG
Well, on the 25th squat rep today I got all the way down and right as I started up I was like "oh ****" I powered thru it but not before leaning forward a ton like I was most of the way up on a deadlift. I'm sure it looked awful.

I scored it as a 4 because even though I ultimately got it all the way up no way that **** should count.

Bench and rows were still no problem.

Really liking this program.
Farmer1906
AG
14 workouts in and I am loving the squats. Up to 280# and feeling great. I'm itching to get into the 300s. I got a new rack over Christmas and put a TV in my garage so workouts are more enjoyable. Added chin ups to the workout as well. My fat ass needs to lose some weight to get all 10 3x.
Wade_3
AG
Lost a little bit over the break. This was the first time in about 2-3 weeks that I was able to do at least 2 workouts in a week:

Monday was weak...
Squats- 315 (did all 5 sets, but I was shaky on the last set)
OHP- 145
DL- 405 (could have gone heavier but I was being lazy)

Today
Squats- 235/275/295/315/335...Probably could have pushed the last set to 345 but I hadn't been able to do all 5 reps at 335 in awhile. Knocked it out though. Going to try 345 tomorrow.

BP- 245...Easier then expected, probably could have gone heavier

BR- 165...Hadn't done these in forever (I surf so I don't want my back to get stupid big) and probably could have added another 10#

Tomorrow I go back to BS/OHP/DL

Going to shoot for 345/165/455 (maybe 475 if I am feeling frisky)
Wade_3
AG
Disregard my DL numbers. I'm a dumbass and read 5x1, not 1x5 so def not jumping to 455/475. I might be able to do 405, but more likely 375-395.

Can't believe I mis-read that...at least I was able to PR on DL! Now time to do it right!
Wade_3
AG
Ok, did the proper DL set this time and pulled 385# (no bouncies). OHP and BS stayed static.
hurricanejake02
AG
So I took the week of Dec. 15th off to let a tweaked muscle rest. Deloaded 10%, came back on the 22nd and went to work getting back to where I was. Got 5 workouts in before the end of the year, and then got sick. My last workout was NYE. Getting back in the gym today, do I deload another 10%? Go back to the weights from the 22nd (original deload)?

Highest Weights (pre-deload) 12/10-12
290 SQ
130 OHP
315 DL
200 BP
190 ROW

Last Weights 12/29-31
285 SQ
120 OHP
300 DL
195 BP
185 ROW

I know I'm focusing too much on the numbers, but seeing those numbers rise is what keeps my motivation levels up. I don't want to go in today and totally gas myself, but I don't want to spend 3 more weeks just getting back to where I was a month ago, either.

Suggestions?
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
So I took the week of Dec. 15th off to let a tweaked muscle rest. Deloaded 10%, came back on the 22nd and went to work getting back to where I was. Got 5 workouts in before the end of the year, and then got sick. My last workout was NYE. Getting back in the gym today, do I deload another 10%? Go back to the weights from the 22nd (original deload)?

Highest Weights (pre-deload) 12/10-12
290 SQ
130 OHP
315 DL
200 BP
190 ROW

Last Weights 12/29-31
285 SQ
120 OHP
300 DL
195 BP
185 ROW

I know I'm focusing too much on the numbers, but seeing those numbers rise is what keeps my motivation levels up. I don't want to go in today and totally gas myself, but I don't want to spend 3 more weeks just getting back to where I was a month ago, either.

Suggestions?
Deload, but don't count it as a failure. worst I ever felt after a stronglifts workout was not deloading enough after a longer break. Hurt for a week, did make reps though
Farmer1906
AG
3 sets into 305 on squat and worried I might have my first miss.

Edit: got all 5.
hurricanejake02
AG
What grip are you using? I found 300 lbs was about the point I had to switch to a mixed grip.
JJD80
I haven't gone through all 27 pages of this thread to check but can anyone comment on physical appearance changes while doing this ie fat loss, strictly bulking, etc? Obviously this program makes you stronger which I like but I already worked out before and am wondering if the lack of isolation will diminish some of the gains I've made in arms etc. thanks for any info.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
What grip are you using? I found 300 lbs was about the point I had to switch to a mixed grip.
mixed grip for squats? I'm not sure I have ever heard of that. I do however use a mixed grip for deadlifts.
hurricanejake02
AG
Sorry, I'd just finished my DL when I sent that...

In regards to appearance, my diet sucks, so I'm not really trimming down, but my weight is staying pretty steady with noticeable gains in both my chest/shoulders and legs.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Sorry, I'd just finished my DL when I sent that...

In regards to appearance, my diet sucks, so I'm not really trimming down, but my weight is staying pretty steady with noticeable gains in both my chest/shoulders and legs.
Pretty much the same for me. I packed on about 8 pounds during the first 6 months of this program (187->195) and then leveled out. Glutes, legs, shoulders and chest saw the most obvious gains in that order

No idea what you were doing before, but I'd guess you'd lose some appearance gains if you are switching from a higher rep routine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.