Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,338 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95
DL - 225 (try to keep this the same of squats)

I have been moving up 10# at a time, but I think I am going to make a 10-15% jump on each for Friday's lift. It just seems like too slow of a process.
What's your hurry?
To get stronger. It isn't challenging right now. Back in March/Apr of '15 when I stopped last time, I would ~370 on BS & DL, ~275 on BP.

I know starting at near my old maxes on here would be dumb so I wanted to build it up. It just seems like it takes far too long. But I know it worked last time around because I saw some great gains.

If you've done it before and you have a strong foundation, I'd go up by a dime a side every time. As long as your form stays good, you should be able to make 20 lb jumps in workouts until you get closer to your max.
aggiespartan
AG
I squatted 85 today! So close to the 25lb plates.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Looking for a little form critique because I know I can get better. I'll try to get my Dead Lift done next time,

Today was squats at 215 and felt pretty smooth. Did 3 sets without the box and 2 with the box. Some reps are better than others and still trying to get parallel everytime. Also have my barbell rows at 135. Thanks for the feedback!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Ezra Brooks
AG
I'm no coach, but you need get much lower.

It might also help if you get your chest more to the floor.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I figured. I have read different opinions on parallel vs below vs slightly above being sufficient.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Slightly below per the Starting Strength guys.
Farmer1906
AG
Agree you need to go a little lower. It's hard to tell from the video, but I think your weight is on the balls of your feet. It looks like your heels come off the ground when you get to the top. You should have the weight on your heels.
Jetpilot86
AG
DDP
Jetpilot86
AG
I'm a member of the "you are way too far above parallel" club.

I'd back way off on the weight, get the depth and work your way back up.

Here's a link for you: https://www.t-nation.com/training/third-world-squat
aggiespartan
AG
Agree with everyone else. I even tried a quarter squat today and it felt like the stupidest thing ever.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback and can definitely deload and get my butt down!
aggiespartan
AG
I failed on bench today. I feel so silly trying so hard and failing with my little 5lb and 2.5lb weights on the bar. It's like, do you even lift?
747Ag
AG
Keep working at it. Focus on your gains rather than sheer weight. Let gains be your measure of success. Lift by lift, you're building a foundation of strength.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I failed on bench today. I feel so silly trying so hard and failing with my little 5lb and 2.5lb weights on the bar. It's like, do you even lift?

Time to look at the diet. Are you eating enough? What do your macros look like.
aggiespartan
AG
I started eating more, and I am getting quite a bit of protein. I'm not tracking, but I am conscious of protein. I guess I'm not doing horrible. I'm 110lbs bodyweight and I'm at 60lbs on bench. I think I'll get it next time. my sets today were 5/2/4/5/4
AMB99
AG
The crease of your hip should be below top of knee. Without seeing a different angle, point your toes out around 30 degrees and shove your knees out, keeping them in line over your toes and sit back into the squat. You'll have to take weight off most likely to get depth.
hurricanejake02
AG
Woohoo, today is the day that drives me through all the small increases - New Plate Day!

Back up to 225 on squats.
140 on bench
140 on row
85 on OHP (from Friday)
220 on DL (from Friday)

Six more weeks until the next new plate day, provided no failures between then and now.
aggiespartan
AG
I think I'm going to add in shrugs. My delts are starting to eat my traps. Currently, my bench is 60, DL 145, and OHP 50. Any recommendations on how low to start with shrugs?
AggieRAGE
AG
Making good progress so far with this program. 10 weeks in and this is where I'm at:

Squat - 95 lbs now 200lbs
Bench - 85lbs now 145lbs
Row - 65lbs now 120lbs
OH press - 45lbs now 100lbs
Deadlift - 105lbs now 205lbs
Farmer1906
AG
Its starting to feel good. Just completed work out #14 after a long and taxing day at work.

Squat - 305
OH Press - 125
Deadlift - 305
Bench - 225
Row - 135
SACR
AG
quote:
I think I'm going to add in shrugs. My delts are starting to eat my traps. Currently, my bench is 60, DL 145, and OHP 50. Any recommendations on how low to start with shrugs?
I'd start with the 95 lbs, then work your way up.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

That sounds really aggressive based on those numbers. I'd start with the bar.
bam02
AG
Yes I would grab a couple of 40's and go up or down from there.
aggiespartan
AG
I grabbed a 35lb fixed barbell. The 40 was missing. Wasn't too bad. Fairly easy.
bam02
AG
Yeah I meant dumbells.
aggiespartan
AG
One of my elbows has been bothering me, so the barbell was a little more comfortable. I can't really describe the sensation - it's not really pain, and it's not really sore...sort of like tired, maybe? I think maybe I did something doing pullups.
Jetpilot86
AG
Tennis elbow most likely. Been there, done that. can be a long heal time.

The book Becoming a Supple Leopard details a rapid healing cure. Maybe you can google and find it without buying the book.

For everyone in general, that is a great book about the mechanics of exercise to teach you how to properly set your skelature and musculature for more injury free lifting, as well as some cures for some lifting injuries. Roughly $30 on itunes as I recall.
SACR
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

With a deadlift of 145?

95 is a lighter weight, and will be plenty easy to do for something requiring as little motion as shrugs.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

With a deadlift of 145?

95 is a lighter weight, and will be plenty easy to do for something requiring as little motion as shrugs.

Do most people shrug weight similar to their deadlift? I can't do anywhere near my DL.
culdeus
AG
Back at this after a long time off doing more high rep stuff.

Deloaded quite a bit and I'm at

175 SQ
135 BP
115 BOR
80 OHP
200 DL

I'm also doing alot more of the assistance work on super set at the end to get a little cardio. I just blow thru three of them with no rest.

I have failed twice to get to 85 on OHP and been told to deload. I'm not sure what I need to really get that going. That was my main struggle last time doing this as well. I might alternate on B days with OHP and then seated military or something else. Not sure how to break thru there.

Already feeling good on squats and DL, should be able to make really solid progress there.
SACR
AG
I don't do shrugs now, but when I did, it was significantly more than I deadlifted.
gcracker13
AG
Went from 185 to 190 on squats this morning and it was like running into a brick wall. This was my first "failure" but it could also have been because I ran 3 miles before hand. I'll take a day or two off and go back at it later this week
aggiespartan
AG
Any tips on getting better on bench? It's my worst lift and I can't seem to progress. I've been doing lower weight reps on the days that aren't supposed to be bench, and that's not really helping much.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
Any tips on getting better on bench? It's my worst lift and I can't seem to progress. I've been doing lower weight reps on the days that aren't supposed to be bench, and that's not really helping much.

This should help

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.