Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,355 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
AMB99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Any tips on getting better on bench? It's my worst lift and I can't seem to progress. I've been doing lower weight reps on the days that aren't supposed to be bench, and that's not really helping much.
1. Follow the program and rest on rest days.

2. If can't continue 5's, drop to 3's (either 3x5 or 3x3).

3. Invest in some micro plates. I'm happy with slow, steady progress on BP and OHP. Around 225 BP and 145 OHP I simply couldn't add 2 to 5 lbs per workout. I'm working at 5 sets x 3 reps BP and 5 sets x 2 reps OHP and continuing to add 1 lb per workout with a backoff set on each for a little additional volume.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
quote:
Any tips on getting better on bench? It's my worst lift and I can't seem to progress. I've been doing lower weight reps on the days that aren't supposed to be bench, and that's not really helping much.
1. Follow the program and rest on rest days.

2. If can't continue 5's, drop to 3's (either 3x5 or 3x3).

3. Invest in some micro plates. I'm happy with slow, steady progress on BP and OHP. Around 225 BP and 145 OHP I simply couldn't add 2 to 5 lbs per workout. I'm working at 5 sets x 3 reps BP and 5 sets x 2 reps OHP and continuing to add 1 lb per workout with a backoff set on each for a little additional volume.
I've seen a lot of different things on women improving on bench. Most of what I've seen is that you've got to do it more to get better. I was failing regularly even when I wasn't doing any extra. I do have fractional weights, but I use them sparingly. I suppose I'll have to start using them more. My weight is pretty low now, which is why I haven't used them much. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with where I've stalled. I kind of thought I was a little stronger.
Farmer1906
AG
How's your form? Do you have a spotter? Where do you put your feet? Hands? How low are you going? How close are you getting to the 5x5?
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
How's your form? Do you have a spotter? Where do you put your feet? Hands? How low are you going? How close are you getting to the 5x5?
I believe my form is fine. I feel like I get a good arch and can push through my feet, butt down on the bench. Hands at a comfortable position. I feel like my arms are in the right spot. Don't know what you mean by how long. No spotter. There's usually no one around at that time that I trust. I'm well versed in the roll of shame.

Last two times at this weight I've gotten 3/2/1/0/0.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
I believe my form is fine. I feel like I get a good arch and can push through my feet, butt down on the bench. Hands at a comfortable position. I feel like my arms are in the right spot. Don't know what you mean by how long. No spotter. There's usually no one around at that time that I trust. I'm well versed in the roll of shame.

Last two times at this weight I've gotten 3/2/1/0/0.
Feet are on the ground right? I stopped going to gyms a while back, but I always saw people (a lot of girls) that would keep their feet on the bench.

How low is the bar going? Maybe try switching to towel bench. This will take some of the pressure off your shoulders while you build up your chest a little more.

I would highly recommend a spotter. If you have a experienced spotter they can lightly touch the bar to keep it moving up when you stall. You'll build more strength even when they help some, plus you feel safer and are not worried about the bar crushing your throat.

It also sounds like you need to back it down a little and you're not even getting 5 on the first set.

Outside of the gym, be sure you eat enough before and are rested. A night of drinking or a day of eating crap ruin workouts the next day for me.

Nothing earth breaking from me. Just a few pointers.
hurricanejake02
AG
Once you fail on an exercise 3 workouts in a row, the program (the app if you're using it - if you're not, you should be) says you should deload 10% and start working your way back up.

I haven't seen a situation before where I moved up in weight on the program and wasn't able to at least get 1 rep per set. If I remember correctly you bought a set of 1-1/4 lb plates - are you using them? Are you increasing your workouts by 5lbs or 2.5lbs?

Doing extra bench on your off days is going to hurt your performance on your bench day - your body needs time to rest and heal.

I know once you start seeing results in a couple of areas there's a desire to see it across the board, but give it time - stop trying to rush your progress.
aggiespartan
AG
Feet are flat on the ground. I go at 4 a.m., and unfortunately, nobody wants to go spot me at that time. I'm really not worried about crushing myself yet. Like I said, I've done the roll of shame several times, and am quite good at it. When I fail, it's still very controlled.

I haven't used my fractional weights yet, because I felt like I was starting to make good practice. I've only failed 2 so far, but I'm not that optimistic about the third given what I've done. It gets pretty frustrating failing so much. I'm at a point also, where 10% isn't a lot of weight. A deload would only be taking off 6.5lbs. Maybe I should just start back over with the bar.

I understand you need rest days, and I thought that's why this program was only 3 times per week. Sorry for the dumb question, but if you can squat 3x/week with rest days in between, why can't you bench 3x as well?
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
...if you can squat 3x/week with rest days in between, why can't you bench 3x as well?
I'm sure there's a good answer to this question, like you use smaller muscles to bench - but I'm not positive on that.

Here's a good 5x5 post on breaking plateaus in the bench and OHP:
http://stronglifts.com/microloading-small-fractional-plates-iron-woody/

I know 10% isn't a lot of weight (in pounds) off of your current lift to deload, but consider also that a 5lb increase from 55 to 60lbs represents a 9+% increase. The lower weight you're working with, the larger impact a 5lb jump is going to have, percentage wise.

Personally, I'd probably drop back to 55, and if I could do it, I'd start moving up (in this exercise only) in 2.5 lb increments.

If/when you hit similar stalls in other exercises, then I'd consider doing the same there.
SACR
AG

Doing bench 3 days a week isn't going to hurt you. You could do squats and bench three days a week, and your body would just adjust. I think they're addressing you doing it on your 'off' day, the assumption being you're working out on MWF, and still doing bench on T/TH, which would put you in danger of over-training.

Unless you're working night shift and you get off at 3 AM, I wouldn't wake up at 4 am to workout if you're working a normal 8-4 or 9-5 day shift. I If you're working 8-4, that basically means you have 4 hours after work to get everything you need to do done before you go to sleep at 8 to get 8 hours of sleep before waking to workout at 4 am.

Are you sure you're getting enough rest?

As for improving your bench, I'd recommend you go back to the bar. Don't worry about adding 5 lbs or .5 lbs at this point, just get good at doing 5 sets of 5 of the bar on bench press. If 45 lbs is a struggle for you to do 5x5, then get a 35 or 25 lb bar.

I would also recommend that you work on strengthening your upper body by doing push-ups. Do 50 a day. If you can't do a full push-up, that's fine, do them on your knees. I don't care how many you do at a time, 5 sets of 10 spread throughout the day, 10 sets of 5, 25 sets of 2, doesn't matter, but get it done. You keep doing push-ups consistently for one month, you're going to see your upper body strength increase, and with it, bench press will become easier.

Good luck!!
aggiespartan
AG
quote:

Doing bench 3 days a week isn't going to hurt you. You could do squats and bench three days a week, and your body would just adjust. I think they're addressing you doing it on your 'off' day, the assumption being you're working out on MWF, and still doing bench on T/TH, which would put you in danger of over-training.

Unless you're working night shift and you get off at 3 AM, I wouldn't wake up at 4 am to workout if you're working a normal 8-4 or 9-5 day shift. I If you're working 8-4, that basically means you have 4 hours after work to get everything you need to do done before you go to sleep at 8 to get 8 hours of sleep before waking to workout at 4 am.

Are you sure you're getting enough rest?

As for improving your bench, I'd recommend you go back to the bar. Don't worry about adding 5 lbs or .5 lbs at this point, just get good at doing 5 sets of 5 of the bar on bench press. If 45 lbs is a struggle for you to do 5x5, then get a 35 or 25 lb bar.

I would also recommend that you work on strengthening your upper body by doing push-ups. Do 50 a day. If you can't do a full push-up, that's fine, do them on your knees. I don't care how many you do at a time, 5 sets of 10 spread throughout the day, 10 sets of 5, 25 sets of 2, doesn't matter, but get it done. You keep doing push-ups consistently for one month, you're going to see your upper body strength increase, and with it, bench press will become easier.

Good luck!!
I work 6:45-5, then I have my own business that I run in the evenings. I do get plenty of sleep.

I can do the bar just fine. I have no problem getting through 5x5 or even higher reps with the bar. When I got to 55 is when it started feeling difficult. Pushups aren't good because they hurt my wrist. I've tried to them on my fists, and that just plain didn't work. I suppose I could try doing them on dumbbells.
AMB99
AG
Ignore push-ups and adjust your volume and loading to make progress. If you want your bench to go up you have to bench and you have to add weight to the bar.

As far as benching 3x per week vs squats; there are significantly fewer muscles involved with bench than the squat. But even with the squat you can/will get to a point where you cannot squat heavy 3x per week.

If you're there that early and have no spotter, can you bench in power rack? My confidence goes way up when I know that if I fail the bar will end up on steel and not my chest.

What's your rest between sets? I don't have the link handy but at startingstrength.com there are some articles on training females and dropping to triples vs fives is a common tool to increase weight and make your gainzzz.
Farmer1906
AG
What would a power rack accomplish for bench?
SACR
AG
quote:
The bars in a power rack can be set so that if she fails on a rep, the bar doesn't come down on her. He's basically taking the fear factor out of the equation since she works out too early to work with a spotter.
SACR
AG

If you have no problem with the bar, then add 2.5 to each side, and do your 5x5 with 50 lbs. Progress is still progress.

There are push-up bars you can buy for $15 off Amazon or go grab even cheaper at a local Wal-mart.That should take some of the pressure off your wrists. Another option is wrist wraps for stabilization and support.

SACR
AG
quote:
Ignore push-ups and adjust your volume and loading to make progress. If you want your bench to go up you have to bench and you have to add weight to the bar.
With all due respect, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Different things work for different people.

Since you're admittedly struggling to advance past 225 on bench press, I'd hesitate to dismiss the advice of others.
AMB99
AG
Struggled past tense; current 5RM is 237. Nothing to brag about but considering it was 155ish a year ago I'd say it's an accomplishment from an untrained almost 40 yo.

Body weight exercises will not increase your bench unless one is completely untrained at which point any strength training will yield results no matter the load or rep scheme. If one fails at bench at 5x5 then 3x5 or 5x3 or even 3x3 would be a reasonable next step vs push ups. If 5 lb increments are too big then smaller (2.5 or even 1 lb) increments will allow one to continually out weight on the bar. You can continue to add weight while dropping the volume then reset back and find that you can then accomplish 5x5 or 3x5 at a weight you failed at previously.

I'm just offering opinions as to what one may do when 5x5 and 5 lb jumps no longer work. Same thing will go for squats, deadlifts, OHP, etc.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
The bars in a power rack can be set so that if she fails on a rep, the bar doesn't come down on her. He's basically taking the fear factor out of the equation since she works out too early to work with a spotter.
How is that possible if you go down to your chest?
AMB99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
How is that possible if you go down to your chest?

It may or may not be depending on hole spacing. When you bench your chest should be elevated with butt down and shoulders pinched back. Ideally you set safety bars just below your chest so that if bar comes back down you can sink your chest in and allow the bar to sit down on pins. You may even have to set it such that you roll it up or down to get it down onto the pins. It really is helpful from a confidence standpoint of you don't have not trust spotters.
Bocephus
AG
quote:
Struggled past tense; current 5RM is 237. Nothing to brag about but considering it was 155ish a year ago I'd say it's an accomplishment from an untrained almost 40 yo.

Body weight exercises will not increase your bench unless one is completely untrained at which point any strength training will yield results no matter the load or rep scheme. If one fails at bench at 5x5 then 3x5 or 5x3 or even 3x3 would be a reasonable next step vs push ups. If 5 lb increments are too big then smaller (2.5 or even 1 lb) increments will allow one to continually out weight on the bar. You can continue to add weight while dropping the volume then reset back and find that you can then accomplish 5x5 or 3x5 at a weight you failed at previously.

I'm just offering opinions as to what one may do when 5x5 and 5 lb jumps no longer work. Same thing will go for squats, deadlifts, OHP, etc.

She weighs more than she is benching. In what world do you not think that a body weight exercise that mimics the motion of the bench press would not benefit her on adding strength?
SACR
AG
quote:

Body weight exercises will not increase your bench unless one is completely untrained at which point any strength training will yield results no matter the load or rep scheme. If one fails at bench at 5x5 then 3x5 or 5x3 or even 3x3 would be a reasonable next step vs push ups.
Still nowhere near good enough where you can lecture others on what they should do, or even worse, tell people to ignore someone else's advice.

Have you considered that one of the reasons you have struggled so much to increase your bench press is because you're taking your own poor advice, in the misguided belief that it works? When you hit a wall with a weight in 5x5, you deload down the next level. They advise 10%, but that can be very little or too much, depending on how light or heavy you are lifting. If you can['t hit all 5 sets of 5, go down 5 lbs (or 10 lbs) to the last weight you can do 5x5, and continue to dominate that weight. Your goal then is to get more reps with each set, going for 5 sets of 7-8 reps. If you can do 7 reps of one weight, you can do 5 reps of the same exercise with 10 more pounds on the bar.

Reality is that if you get to the point where you have hit your max with an exercise, you are no longer a beginner, and it can be time to move to a more advanced program. You want to increase your bench, try pyramids, not going up by 1 lb every workout.

When we're dealing with someone who struggles to bench even 65 pounds, we're dealing with someone who is basically untrained, and any work she can do to increase her upper body strength, including body weight exercises, will help.
AMB99
AG
My argument against body weight exercise is two fold. First learning to manipulate volume and load is helpful when you do move to a more advanced novice stage. 5x5 or even 5x3 won't continue forever. (Edit: Yes, pushups will help today, but what happens when sticking point is 85 or 95 lbs? Push ups will no longer be of value to build strength. Volume and load will still work.)

Second, how much force is required to complete a push up? It will vary based on anthropometry (where's your COM relative to shoulder), where did you place your hands relative to shoulders and knees/toes. Little differences will make a few pounds of increase or decrease on force required to operate the lever system that is a push-up. Force required to move a barbell is more controlled by the weight on the bar and lifting with proper form.

As for me personally, sure my bench could be better. Never been strong upper body so I actually followed same advice I just offered. I reset pretty sizably. Added volume and made smaller jumps until 5x5 was not achieved. Then reduced jumps. I took the approach that slow is fine as long as more weight goes on bar each workout. I could go faster, but this is a long game, and I pushed through sticking points. I took that approach also because, frankly the BP is the only barbell exercise that can injure or kill you. Even as my squat approached 400# it was not as "concerning" as laying on a bench under that much iron. There's a mental aspect to overcome with the BP, and all the lifts, to be certain.
aggiespartan
AG
I'll have to read back through everyone's advice and start doing some of these things next week. I'm insanely close to my squat goal, which seems crazy considering where I started. I know I can get better, I just have to figure out what works.
SACR
AG
quote:
My argument against body weight exercise is two fold. First learning to manipulate volume and load is helpful when you do move to a more advanced novice stage. 5x5 or even 5x3 won't continue forever. (Edit: Yes, pushups will help today, but what happens when sticking point is 85 or 95 lbs? Push ups will no longer be of value to build strength. Volume and load will still work.)

We're not worried about when her sticking point is closer to her body weight, we're trying to help her get past 50 lbs. If/when she gets stuck at 95 lbs, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

<snip>

As for me personally, sure my bench could be better. Never been strong upper body so I actually followed same advice I just offered. I reset pretty sizably. Added volume and made smaller jumps until 5x5 was not achieved. Then reduced jumps. I took the approach that slow is fine as long as more weight goes on bar each workout. I could go faster, but this is a long game, and I pushed through sticking points. I took that approach also because, frankly the BP is the only barbell exercise that can injure or kill you. Even as my squat approached 400# it was not as "concerning" as laying on a bench under that much iron. There's a mental aspect to overcome with the BP, and all the lifts, to be certain.

When you freely admit that you don't have a strong upper body, you should just opt out of these discussions. You're letting your ego get involved, obsessed with the idea that you need to improve the numbers each workout. Focus on getting stronger, consistently dominating the weight you're doing, not on changing an arbitrary number each workout. And please, spare me the hyperbole. You're not going to die if you drop 'all that iron' of 237 lbs on yourself on bench press. If you're mentally intimidated or scared of a weight, you shouldn't be trying to advise others on how to improve in this area.

Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

We're not worried about when her sticking point is closer to her body weight, we're trying to help her get past 50 lbs. If/when she gets stuck at 95 lbs, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

<snip>

When you freely admit that you don't have a strong upper body, you should just opt out of these discussions. You're letting your ego get involved, obsessed with the idea that you need to improve the numbers each workout. Focus on getting stronger, consistently dominating the weight you're doing, not on changing an arbitrary number each workout. And please, spare me the hyperbole. You're not going to die if you drop 'all that iron' of 237 lbs on yourself on bench press. If you're mentally intimidated or scared of a weight, you shouldn't be trying to advise others on how to improve in this area.

Sounds like you need to relax a little.
AMB99
AG
I've apparently triggered you via a microagression. I'll apologize and check my privilege. I guess I just "don't even lift, bro". As for hyperbole, drop 225 on your neck and tell me how you feel in the morning. Likely, no; possible, you bet.

I was honest in my own challenges to improve BP. Moved past them, gained confidence, and selected a slow steady increase vs. alternative methods (Texas Method, Pyramids, 531, etc.). If one improves their BP from 205 to 250 (or 55 to 85) they are stronger, no? I could go faster, choose not to. If it takes me 2 years from total novice to 315 # BP so be it.

You haven't refuted my advice on learning to manipulate reps and volume to achieve results just said I don't bench enough so my advice is unwarranted. I'm not interested in a pissing match...just a logical look at prescribing reps and sets to get stronger.

Still haven't answered how much force do you produce during a push up?

How controllable is it vs. weight on a barbell?

How much volume is required to make equivalent of a 5 lb increase on your BP?
SACR
AG
quote:
I've apparently triggered you via a microagression. I'll apologize and check my privilege. I guess I just "don't even lift, bro". As for hyperbole, drop 225 on your neck and tell me how you feel in the morning. Likely, no; possible, you bet.

I'm older than you are, and apparently have been doing this a lot longer than you have. Save your millennial 'feelings' insult for someone for whom it is more appropriate. If you're scared of dropping 225 on your neck and that causes you anxiety, maybe a weight room isn't the 'safe space' you're looking for? I've been going to gyms for well over two decades now, never seen someone drop 225 on their neck. Irrational fear much?

I was honest in my own challenges to improve BP. Moved past them, gained confidence, and selected a slow steady increase vs. alternative methods (Texas Method, Pyramids, 531, etc.). If one improves their BP from 205 to 250 (or 55 to 85) they are stronger, no? I could go faster, choose not to. If it takes me 2 years from total novice to 315 # BP so be it.

I'm gonna go ahead and call bull**** on this. When your ego is so tied to the numbers that you're trying to make sure you go up at least a pound every workout, just so you can tell yourself you're getting stronger and improving, if you could move up faster, you would.

You haven't refuted my advice on learning to manipulate reps and volume to achieve results just said I don't bench enough so my advice is unwarranted. I'm not interested in a pissing match...just a logical look at prescribing reps and sets to get stronger.

You have yet to refute my stance that push-ups would help aggiespartan improve her upper body strength. I've already said different approaches work for different people, my issue is that you're telling others on here to ignore someone else's advice when you're nowhere near your goals, and are an admitted novice.

You want to get stronger? Quit doing 5x3 going up 1 lb per workout, start doing pyramids.

Still haven't answered how much force do you produce during a push up?

In a push-up, you're lifting roughly 50-70% of your body weight. So, for a 200 lb male, anywhere between 100 to 140 lbs of force.

How much volume is required to make equivalent of a 5 lb increase on your BP?

An increase of one rep.
AMB99
AG
Okay so no mild humor/sarcasm allowed.

If my use of the word ignore is the problem so be it. I'll apologize for the dismissal; not intentional.

I'll still stand by for novice linear progression it is possible to prescribe more explicitly a program to achieve increases in weight on bar and therefore strength. A 20% swing in force required is pretty sizable vs measurement of what is on the bar.
Bocephus
AG
If she can do 50 push-ups in a row she will blow by her sticking point at 60. If she can do 100 push-ups in a row she will blow by almost any sticking point she has. You can get caught up in the weight all you want. The fact remains that doing push-ups and particularly push-ups in high volume will increase your strength and you should see a major difference in stamina.
AMB99
AG
How can an individual go from 50 push-ups to 100 push-ups without a significant increase in strength?

Or put this way, who can do more push-ups, a 110 lb woman with a 65lb bench or a 120 lb woman with a 135 bench? If push-ups are some percentage of your 3RM or 5RM wouldn't it hold that the higher the 5RM, the higher volume you can do at lower weights (or body weight push-ups)?

In this case we are talking about push-ups that are approximately 90% of 5RM (assume 55lb knee push-ups vs 60 lb 5RM). An alternative to push ups might be to pick a more comfortable weight (say the bar or 50 lbs) and do 5 sets of 10 or 10 sets of 5. That is essentially what has been recommended in doing push-ups...tons of volume at around 90% of a 5RM. Yes, any somewhat untrained novice would see strength increases. But if one can accomplish strength increases with 5x5 or 5x3 or even 3x3 why do way more work in the gym (10x5)?

Look, the weight on the bar matters. It's the way to measure strength, or the ability to produce a force against a resistance.
riverrataggie
AG
Getting this thread back on track from the current wang measuring contest we got going on.

Going on month 4 of this. Failed everything at least once where I dropped 10%. Some of these lifts twice. I have noticed on second round I pushed 5 or 10lbs more. So this is working.

Squat - 255
Bench - 200
Row - 185
Overhead Press - 140
Dead Lift - 300

Farmer1906
AG
I am nearing my personal bests on SL from a few years ago.

BS - 330
BP - 240
DL - 325 (will match BS next workout)
BR - 160
OP - 150
riverrataggie
AG
Nice! Interesting your 5x5 squat is close to that of dead lift.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I've been doing 3x5. I keep them close intentionally because my maxes for both have always been similar. I actually switched to sumo dead lifts. It seems to put less stress on my back and I feel a lot more comfortable. We will see what happens in a few weeks when I start hitting walls.
aggiespartan
AG
I failed 65 on bench again today as expected. I had a spotter and I think that actually hurt me a little actually. I think I do better with the fear of the roll of shame. I did some extra reps with just the bar. I'll be deliading back to the bar next time.

On the plus side I banged up a personal best of 3 pull-ups after.
SACR
AG
quote:
quote:
I've been doing 3x5. I keep them close intentionally because my maxes for both have always been similar. I actually switched to sumo dead lifts. It seems to put less stress on my back and I feel a lot more comfortable. We will see what happens in a few weeks when I start hitting walls.
I read a report from a 17 yr old on another forum, kid was deadlifting 500 and squatting 500 at 170 lbs. He did sumo deadlifts, said he saw immediate results, and is now a big proponent of sumo style.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.