Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,323 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Wrighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Session 19: Had my first "failure" today.
Squats = 135 (no problem)
Bench = 120 (no problem)
Rows = 110: On the last set, I struggled to pull the bar all the way up to touch my chest. I was resting 90 seconds between sets. If I had more rest time between sets, probably could have achieved it. Ahh well, I'll do 110 again next time.

Hoss
AG
Started today.

Session 1 - 9/20
BW: 318

Squat - 5x5@190
Bench - 5x5@140
Row - 5x5@140
Cardio: 30 minutes treadmill

Gonna try to remember to post my workouts in this thread.
BBDP
AG
I'm watching you.
Hoss
AG
I bet you are.
newhowdyag2004
I need to look into the proper rotation. I do squats and dl on the same day but it's starting to get heavy to do both. Friday did 5x5 275 squats, 320 dl.
Hoss
AG
Session 2 - 9/23

Squat - 5x5@195
Overhead Press - 5x5@100
Lat Pulldown - 5x5@150
Deadlifts - 1x5@195
Cardio: 30 minutes treadmill @ 3.5 mph
Hoss
AG
Session 3 -0/25

Squat - 5x5@200
Bench - 5x5@145
Row - 5x5@145
Cardio: None
MW03
AG
Jumped back on the wagon this morning. Was off the program for 2 weeks with a back injury, then got back on for a week only to fall back off the wagon with strep throat and a sinus infection. Definitely noticed I'd dropped some strength.

Hoss
AG
Session 4 - 9/27

Squat - 5x5@205
Overhead Press - 5x5@105
Lat Pulldown - 5x5@150
Deadlifts - 1x5@205
Cardio: 30 minutes treadmill @ 3.8mph
BBDP
newhowdyag2004
After struggling with 250lbs for three consecutive attempts, I took two week doing 3x3 with 260lbs and got 250lbs yesterday! I was even able to get two pause (powerlifting reps) on bench with 255lbs afterwards!
dmart90
AG
Finished session 19 today:
Squats 5x5x135
Bench 5x5x95
BB Row 5x5x110

I am enjoying this program.
newhowdyag2004
I had my first failure on squats today. 285lbs 5x5x5x4x4. Thank goodness for the cage!
Hoss
AG
Session 5 - 10/2

Squat - 5x5@210
Bench - 5x5@150
Row - 5x5@150
Cardio: None
Hoss
AG
quote:
I had my first failure on squats today. 285lbs 5x5x5x4x4. Thank goodness for the cage!

I haven't been following...how far are you into the program and what's your goal weight on the squats?
AggieMavsfan
AG
I'm ready to start this program. I did Rippetoe's starting strength near the end of college and kept with some of the lifts right after, but I've fallen off the bandwagon the past couple years.
newhowdyag2004
Hoss, I don't have a goal weight on any bench/squat/dl. I'm just going until my body says slow down (basically if I can't get 3x3 after a few tries). Even then I'll probably do something like 2x2 and then lighten up and do 5-8 reps.

My max on squats, 10 years ago, was ~420lbs and 525 on dl so I know I have some room to go.

I just really like this program because in conjunction with IF I'm the strongest/leanest combo I have ever been. I really enjoy this program. Again I don't follow it to the "T" because I add supplemental lifts after the 5x5's and do squats and deads on the same day.

Edit: I don't know how far I am in the program exactly, but started 225 on squats so about 6 weeks.

[This message has been edited by newhowdyag2004 (edited 10/2/2013 8:18p).]
TheMasterplan
Taken like a 2.5 week vacation basically. Took 1.5 weeks off for vacation then a week of work to recover from vacation. I looked at myself and realized I've lost some muscle. Now I need to get back to it.
dmart90
AG
Today was tough. Missed last week due to business travel. Redid workout 21 over the weekend so today didn't suck as bad. Glad I did:

Squat - 5x5x150
Overhead - 5x5x95 - had to break up the last two sets
Deadlift - 1x5x190

Legs are sore. Pretty gassed at the end.
Wrighty
AG
I am through 10 weeks, session 30.

I started with either the bar or the minimum in all lifts.

I am currently lifting:
Squat = 190 lb (getting heavy, still haven't stalled)
Bench = 150 lb (getting heavy, still haven't stalled)
OHP = 105 lb (stalled on 100 lb, then completed 100, stalled on 105 lb, and just (barely) completed 105 today. I was pumped this morning).
Row = 135 lb. (I switched to a machine at 110 lb, as I was having shoulder discomfort. definitely heavy at 135.)
Deadlift = 225 lb. (I am going to stick with 225 lb for several sessions, to make sure my form is great.)

I have been doing pullups every B session, to failure essentially because I couldn't complete 3 sets of 8. In week 2, I was using 25lb assistance and could do 8,5,4. Now, I am doing regular pullups, no assitance. Today, I did 8,5,4. Progress is very satisfying.

I have gained 12 lb so far.

I was afraid of having back pain or knee pain. Not only do I not have any pain, I feel like my back has never felt better due to all the core strengthening i have done.

Can't say enough good things about the program.
newhowdyag2004
I've gone to The Texas Method. The 5x5 was starting to get to my back and with this program it's only done once on Mondays. I've backed off deads for a little while (had completed 340lbs) and am now lightening up the squat weight and going allllll the way down (ass to calves). I noticed it's less stress on my back bc there is no way I can do that with 300lbs for a working set. I also like incorporating pause sets on Wed an max reps on Fri. Anybody moving to Mad Cow or Texas Method?
TheMasterplan
Back on the program.

Can already see/feel the difference two weeks in. Will be in the office for at least another month so hoping to gain a couple more kilos.
boboguitar
AG
My updated workouts

Squat 240 5x5
Bench 195 5x5
Deadlift 285 5x5

OHP 110 5x5
BBRow 140 5x5
Curl 90 5x5

Bf% is down but that's more due to eating a much better diet.
irish pete ag06
AG
Nice BoboGuitar

I am doing my own workout which is based on the 5x5, full body method. I work out 3 times a week like 5x5, but I've changed the workout to 4x6 and I am doing a mixed bench workout that includes negative reps.

I also alternate out Squats, Deadlifts, and Lunges. I even did 4x6 on power clean the other day for my lower body workout.
irish pete ag06
AG
What's awesome is that I did not lose much of my strength I had gained from 5x5 during my non-weight lifting hiatus that is high school football season.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
What's awesome is that I did not lose much of my strength I had gained from 5x5 during my non-weight lifting hiatus that is high school football season.

My non-weight lifting hiatus is high school cross country season. If it wasn't for that, my bench would already be close to 250 and my squat/deadlift much higher. I'm just glad I didn't lose any strength on my squat/dead.
Brother Mouzone
AG
I just started back too on Monday as I am getting busier at work and this workout is easier to fit in. Love it.
Wrighty
AG
I haven't stopped doing the program, but I have had several forced breaks from it (vacation, intense work periods), so i have kept restarting from a lower weight.

As of this morning, my succesfull lifts are:
Squat 205 5x5 (failed at 205 5x5 on 5th set on Wednesday, got it today)
OHP 105 5x5 (failed at 110 5x5 this morning)
DL 215 1x5
Bench 170 lb 5x5 (failed at 175 5x5 on Wednesday)
Row 140 lb 5x5

I am going to switch to 3x5 for 2 weeks, to get some more "linear gains", and then I will start the Madcow program. I like the lift programming in Madcow, specifically I like that each day you do 5 sets of increasing weight, with only the last set at the highest weight. Right now, due to the high volume at heavy (for me) weights, it seems really difficult to recover if I do any cardio at all between lifting sessions.

In theory, if you still have linear gains available, then the madcow program will produce slower gains than stronglifts. However, I feel like I am just about at that point.
boboguitar
AG
I'm getting to that point as well, I've been thinking about switching to madcow.

The only thing I'm not happy with is how much squating 3x a week is slowing my runs. My goal right now is fat loss and strength but I'll have to ease up on it eventually.
MW03
AG
Fell off the wagon due to various health issues for about 2.5 months. Finally ready to climb back on, but unsure how to start. Stupidly went back at it today where I left of off and of course I have list done strength. Thoughts on how far back in The program to go?
Iowaggie
AG
I would say go back at least 2.5 months, if not more.

You don't want injury, and you should be able to progress quickly.

newhowdyag2004
It's amazing how work and STRESS can kill gains. I was on 255lbs on bench and max near 300 and could do 14 reps with 225. Now after a few weeks of working out 2x a week, I can only get 2 reps with 255 and 6 reps on 225. I know it's just a matter of getting the muscles back into the routine, but damn!
boboguitar
AG
I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to switch to madcow.
Wrighty
AG
boboguitar: I am switching to madcow once I stall twice on squats doing 3x5 (which I just switched to). Even if my second stall is at a higher weight, I'm switching. So, if my squats are (for example):
220lb - fail
220lb - fail
220lb - fail
195lb (deloaded)
200lb
205lb
210lb
215lb
220lb
225lb - fail
225lb - fail
225lb - fail

That is 4 weeks of squatting right there.
chris1515
AG
Thanks to this thread, I'm giving this a shot.
In week two now and wondering when my legs will stop hurting while doing a squat...

I don't think it's anything dangerous just muscle pain...like the legs are still sore from the last workout and the one before that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.