Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,346 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
mid90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Halfway through week 3 (2 workouts a week), and I can already tell a definite increase in my leg strength/endurance.

We were doing wall balls yesterday at crossfit and I blazed through them. Usually my legs get tired, but even after 50 I was fine!
Jetpilot86
AG
Something to look forward to, don't want to lose my gains from my Tri training over the last few months.
Iowaggie
AG
For the week:

Squat: 185
BP: 225
BB Rows: 95
OP: 100
DL: 115
Iowaggie
AG
And another post to get it off 666, lest I get injured because of that.
wcb
AG
Thinking about starting next week. I'm a little concerned about squatting M/W/F and possibly cycling or running T/TR. Seems like potentially zero recovery time for the legs.

I prefer to get stronger during Q2, with a heavier emphasis on triathlon in Q3. Still, I need to be swimming / biking / running some.
wcb
AG
[the dreaded error / double post]

[This message has been edited by wcb (edited 4/11/2014 1:58p).]
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B"
Wgt 192
Squat 5 x 5 x 70
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 55
Deadlift 5 x 110

Week 2, workout 3. Easier than workout 2 actually.

I also want to run Olympic Tri's, just did my first Sprint last month. I'm going to go thru the 1st 12 week cycle of stonglift and maybe ride some lite bike, and easy swims, but no running until either the next Sprint Tri or the end of the 12 week cycle.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 3, Workout 1
Wgt 192
Squat 5 x 5 x 70 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 60 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 80 lbs

Felt a tweak in my low back after this one. Probably from bad form on the Rows, I'm least experienced with these. Think I'm looking up too much and may be bowing my back on the lowering of the bar.
SpringsAg
AG
I've been doing SL 5x5 for a few months now - rows are tricky for me too. A few pointers that helped me:

-Pick up the weight from the floor like a deadlift, stand up straight.
-Lean forward a bit (45 degree angle?) and keep your shoulders back. Act like you are squeezing an orange between your shoulder blades.
-Your hands / forearms are just hooks for the weight. Lift the weight through your elbows, if that makes sense.

I also have varied the routine a bit, because squats both days seem repetitive given deadlifts are one day. I started deadlift 5x5 with light weight for form, and now I'm at 3x5. Ultimately will do 1x5 when I'm maxing.

A-
-Squat
-Bench
-Row
-Dips (body weight)

B-
-Deadlift
-Shoulder press
-Pull ups
-Abs
mid90
AG
I really hate barbell rows. blech
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B"
Wgt 192
Squat 5 x 5 x 80
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 60
Deadlift 5 x 120

Starting to have to put some effort into squats, just enough to notice and rest longer between sets 90 sec now. 2 mins on the OPresses, they were close to work today. Pretty sure OP is a PR. Every successful deadlift is. In 1-2 weeks every squat will be.
mid90
AG
Good bull!

Today was Wk4 workout 1 for me (2 workouts/wk)

Weight: 220
Squat 5x5x80
Bench Press 5x5x60
BBell Row 5x5x80

Finally got my form right on the rows, and it was both harder and more enjoyable. Really gonna have to get a power rack for the squats soon. I will probably only be able to power clean/press/lower onto back for a few more weeks.
Sq1dvm
AG
After reading this thread, tried 5x5 for 3 months, squat max up by 20lbs, deadlift up by 40. Good stuff.
TheMasterplan
Cant wait to get back at it on monday. Taken a month off practically due to work/travel.
SpringsAg
AG
Yeah, I've followed this program for a few months and I went from lifting very little weight to around this

Weight: 170
Squats: 5x5x145
Bench: 5x5x135 (I had never been able to rep a bench with plates on it before.. recently hit this. ****ing awesome)
Row: 5x5x105
Deadlift: Started 5x5.. then now doing 3x5x205 (highest so far for me)
Press: 5x5x75

Pull ups and Dips have gotten better form and more, as well as mixing abs in there. I love this program, if you are consistent your gainz will jump
mid90
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 3, Workout 3
Wgt 192
Squat 5 x 5 x 85 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 65 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 85 lbs

Had 5 days off between workouts due to traveling. I think this actually helped my squat as they were nearly effortless. Bench is still a joke but it's form, form, form right now. Rows are challenging.

Afterwards, I ran 1.5 miles at whatever pace felt comfy. That pace also happened to be a personal record pace since I started running again. Then walked at a moderate pace with the fiancee for an hour. That was all yesterday. So far today I'm not noticing any soreness.

The hardest part now is that I want to do more and have to force myself to rest and recover for tomorrow's workout.

Great job on the successes others have posted.
Zeke1995
AG
On week 10 of this. Today I did

5 x 5 squat 165
5 x 5 bench 105
5 x 5 barbell rows 125

I hate hate hate barbell rows.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 4 Workout 1
Wgt 190
Squat 5 x 5 x 85
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 65
Deadlift 5 x 130

Finally lost a couple lbs. OP's were hard on the 5th rep each set. Swam 1/2 mile after to burn some extra calories.
Jetpilot86
AG
If anyone has been on the "inside", I'd be interested in how he handles warmups in there. How many sets, how big a step up in weight, etc.

TIA
Macpappy99
AG
Workout "B" Week 4 Workout 3

Squat 5 x 5 x 100
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 70
Deadlift 5 x 140

OP is starting to take more effort on the last few reps. I'm starting to hate the octagonal plates at 24hr when I do deadlifts and rows.
Jetpilot86
AG
Next time on deadlifts I'm using 45's, yay.

For rows until you get to 45's, I have been starting from the top of the dead lift position and bending over, vs coming from the floor. Only thing is you then don't get to stop between by resting the bar on the floor. Two places I have worked out, I travel a lot, had 10's that were the same diameter as the 45's which helps a lot on the rows/deads with lighter weights.
Iowaggie
AG
For the week:

Squat: 200
BP: 235
BB Rows: 105
OP: 110
DL: 130

And with the exception of the squat and DL, not sure how much more those are going to go up.
But I'm happy to report I did get all 3 workouts in this week.
NoneGiven
AG
Jetpilot86, this what you are looking for?

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/
Jetpilot86
AG
Yes! Thanks!
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 4 Workout 2
Wgt 197 party weekend
Squat 5 x 5 x 100
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 70
Deadlift 5 x 140

OP was officially hard.
mjpfeffer98
AG
I'm looking at getting some of my own gear and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for either a small power rack (or sumo rack) and a good olympic bar.

I've been looking at the Rogue Fitness stuff, which looks real nice, but seems a little pricey. Is it worth it to get that stuff, or just go a little cheaper?

Thanks!
Zeke1995
AG
Closing in on 3 months of doing this. Pretty pleased with simplicity of the program and strength gains. Finally beginning to see some visible changes as well.
Iowaggie
AG
After doing a search, you might want to make that question its own separate thread because more perspectives can't hurt on your question.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 5, Workout 1
Wgt 194
Squat 5 x 5 x 105 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 75 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 95 lbs

Ran 1.5 miles after. Easy pace.

[This message has been edited by Jetpilot86 (edited 5/2/2014 11:38p).]
Zeke1995
AG
5 x 5 squat 185
5 x 5 bench 115
5 x 5 barbell row 135
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 5 Workout 2
Wgt 194
Squat 5 x 5 x 110
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 75
Deadlift 5 x 150
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 5, Workout 3
Wgt 198
Squat 5 x 5 x 110 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 80 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 100 lbs

Still don't "see" any results, but I like the fact that the numbers keep getting bigger on the workout log.
Macpappy99
AG
Finished week 5 on Saturday. Have noticed a few changes.

* A little less of a gut.
* Traps and Lats becoming more defined.
* Larger backside (wife noticed that one)
Jetpilot86
AG
^
^
^
^

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.