Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,349 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Hullabaque
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had my first failure today. I was doing 110 on OHP and did 5, 5, 5, 5, 4. Ugh! Just couldn't get that last rep up. I was pissed, but now I feel extra motivation to get it next time.
culdeus
AG
I'm setting this program down for awhile. I had some really good results. New maxes in everything and made huge gains in deadlift. I think I'll come back to it every 3 or 4 months or so. I'm still trying to add mass and I'm just struggling to do so here.

I'm also still into cycling and all these heavy squats and deadlifts are just nuking my legs for the rest days. Maybe a great winter program when I'm too much a nancy to get off my ass and ride my bike outside.

Furlock Bones
AG
So, it's been officially over a month since I got back into SLs. I started Feb 20 at

Squat 135
BP 105
Row 90
OHP 60
DL 135

Yesterday,
Squat 4x5 210 1x5 250. I was feeling really strong and wanted to see how much more I was capable of right now. I still had more weight I could put on. But, I'm staying on the track.

OHP 90
DL 195
BP 145
Row 120

I really like this program for getting strength back.
hurricanejake02
AG
Went for 365lb squats on Friday and they KICKED. MY. ASS.

I was able to get through 5x5 with the weight, but it took 6-8 minutes between the last few sets. I was so beat down I couldn't even get through my OHP warm-up, just packed up my balls and left the gym.

Feel like I was dehydrated, and lacking some motivation. I leave for Jamaica tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to getting a break in the workouts as much as getting away from work. Knowing I'd have to deload when I got back, I didn't have a lot of drive to be deloading from 365 as opposed to 360.

Looking forward to the break, and hoping to have some extra drive to keep driving through the weights when I get back.
Pale Rider
AG
Just started SL a few weeks ago and love it. I would like to slip in addotion all cardio to help with my skinny fat self, at least until I'm getting into really heavy lifts.

What's your exp adding cardio? If so, on off days (Tues/Thurs) or wpekput days?
Hullabaque
AG
I got through 110 on OHP yesterday (failed at this weight in my previous OHP workout).

Regarding the addition of cardio on off days, you can probably do it without any issues while you are still on light weights. You may want to just add cardio on off days until you feel too tired to do it. It isn't going to hurt anything. It may just impact your muscle recovery a little bit as you add weight.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Just started SL a few weeks ago and love it. I would like to slip in addotion all cardio to help with my skinny fat self, at least until I'm getting into really heavy lifts.

What's your exp adding cardio? If so, on off days (Tues/Thurs) or wpekput days?
Wish I had done some during the first 4 weeks or so.

As a guide, I'd say do cardio on your off days until you miss a set of squats/DL on the SL days, at that point I'd say the cardio is getting in the way of stronglifts. There is an article where Mehdi does say that if you are going to do cardo, do it on the days you work out, vs the rest days.
Pale Rider
AG
Great, very good points and I think that's what I'll do. Add cardio until things get heavy and then at that point it won't really be needed since the lifts will be more taxing anyways. Thanks for the input.
512Ag
AG
I've been lifting then doing 35 minutes of intervals on the elliptical. I take the rest days off completely, although I've been considering doing some tempo runs on those days. I'm only on week 6, so the weight is still relatively light.
TxAgg07
AG
I haven't really lifted in over 10 years and have been really looking into this as its simple to follow. Would it be advisable to just take it slow and start out with the bar and slowly progress? Outside of looking like a weakling.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I haven't really lifted in over 10 years and have been really looking into this as its simple to follow. Would it be advisable to just take it slow and start out with the bar and slowly progress? Outside of looking like a weakling.
For someone who hasn't lifted in 10 years, yeah probably so. If it too easy then maybe go up faster then they recommend. I started well above recommended and increased at a faster rate, but I've been lifting weights for a while and didn't take any extended break like you have.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:

After week 10 you won't. I tried to not deload as much as I should have after a 6 week break and nearly couldn't walk for 3 days.
512Ag
AG
Had my first failure today, my last day on week 6. Went 5, 5, 5, 4, 5 with 90lbs on OH press. OH press is really the only lift that's given me real trouble so far. Squats and DL are definitely getting harder, but I haven't been in jeopardy of missing yet. Feeling good overall and I'm really happy with the program. Wife finally said she could notice my stomach flattening out a bit, which was nice to hear.
Hullabaque
AG
Just finished week 9. My weights are:
Squat - 235
BP - 185
OHP - 115
Row - 130
DL - 215

I decided to add in the arms work so I'm also doing 3 sets of 5 weighted Chin-ups or Dips at the end of each workout. Right now I'm at 20 lbs extra on chin-ups and 40 lbs extra on dips.

I've had one failure at 110 on OHP. However, I was able to get it the next time and then able to get 115 the workout after that. I don't think I'll fail on squat or DL in the near future. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I have a failure on BP or Row in the next few weeks.

The workouts are definitely getting more difficult, and they are lasting longer. However, I really like the workouts. They are difficult, but I like the fact I can concentrate on 3 exercises per workout (not counting the additional arm work). I used to jump around from apparatus to apparatus.....now workouts are simple.

I'll report back in a few weeks with my progress. Oh, and my wife is noticing a change in my build......which is always a good thing.
Furlock Bones
AG
Today's work out will be the 6 week mark for me.

Squat 240
DL 215
OHP 100

I finally came up with a goal. Get to 800 combined pounds on Squat & Bench 5x5 and DL 1x5.

Then, I'll probably change it up.
Farmer1906
AG
I switched to 3x5 because the work outs just go too long.

Here is my progress.

SQ - 345
BP - 260 (expecting failure very soon)
BR - 165
OP - 165 (expecting failure very soon)
DL - 340 (I'll bump it to 250 next workout to keep up w/ squats)

However after my last workout on Tuesday I had some knee pain and am taking a few days off.

Still impressed with the strength improvement from this program.
Furlock Bones
AG
Awesome. I wish my BP went up as quickly as my leg strength does.
Old Army Metal
AG
Just finished week 1. Squats used to be my jam but I haven't done a back squat since I get really into olympic lifts a couple of years ago. So day 1 I started at 185 and my life has been searing leg pain ever since. I'm catching up to it, though, I should be up to 250 in 2 weeks or so.

Bench has never been a good lift for me. I always liked DB presses better, but when in Rome, I guess.

Squat - 205
DL - 315
Bench - 195
OHP - 115
Row - 155
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Just finished week 1. Squats used to be my jam but I haven't done a back squat since I get really into olympic lifts a couple of years ago. So day 1 I started at 185 and my life has been searing leg pain ever since. I'm catching up to it, though, I should be up to 250 in 2 weeks or so.

Bench has never been a good lift for me. I always liked DB presses better, but when in Rome, I guess.

Squat - 205
DL - 315
Bench - 195
OHP - 115
Row - 155
To be blunt, if you are having recovery muscle pain after a strong lift, you are doing too much weight. Scale back and build up. the weight will add up quick, without the post workout soreness.
Old Army Metal
AG
Man, I bet if I had been squatting the bar I'd have been sore. If you go years without doing squats, you're going to be facing some soreness no matter how little weight you get back into it with.

Wednesday was rough, today wasn't a picnic but I"ll be back to normal by Monday. I'll be putting up 225 by mid-week. It's not a huge deal for me. I'm *this* close to putting a TRX system above my toilet so I can get on and off of it after leg day, though.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Man, I bet if I had been squatting the bar I'd have been sore. If you go years without doing squats, you're going to be facing some soreness no matter how little weight you get back into it with.

Wednesday was rough, today wasn't a picnic but I"ll be back to normal by Monday. I'll be putting up 225 by mid-week. It's not a huge deal for me. I'm *this* close to putting a TRX system above my toilet so I can get on and off of it after leg day, though.
I'm sure your exaggerating a bit, but I started from the bar and went 10 weeks into the program, Bar to about 200 on squats, never was sore. Took a layoff for about 6 weeks due to an elbow issue from bad deadlift form on a PR, came back and tried to start at 135 on the squats. Nearly couldn't walk for a day, sore for 3-4. Trust me, you are starting too heavy. I had not squatted in nearly a decade, and was nearly 50 when I started the program.

I'd cut 75% off what you started with in the other post, and if it is "easy", add 10lb vs 5 per session until the first workout where you are sore, drop 5lbs, and go from there. Even at adding 5lbs per workout, the weight piles on fast.

Cheers,
Old Army Metal
AG
Rolled over an ankle while I was playing some one-on-one to warm up. Slapped an ankle brace on and completed:

Squat: 225 (getting harder)
OHP: 125 (barely)
DL: 325 (felt like I was in beast mode)

Hoping this ankle thing doesn't derail me too bad. I have to go to the metroplex tuesday night for a Wednesday job interview, so I'll get two full days of rest before I'm back at it.
Furlock Bones
AG
Had my first failure on OHP.

240 squat
105 OHP failed at 5 on both sets
235 DL

TamuKid
AG
I started this program 4 weeks ago after never really having lifted seriously before.

I started every exercise with the bar/minimum weight required.

OHP seems ridiculously hard compared to the rest. I just finished 75 pounds on OHP. But I'm not sure how I'll get 80 next time.

I'm 26 but have lower back pain. I've noticed it worse the last couple weeks. Anyone have any tips for reducing lower back pain and doing this program? Stretches?

Also, are you supposed to stretch before? Or are the warmup reps sufficient? I have noticed my flexibility has decreased even after just 4 weeks.
Old Army Metal
AG
Static stretching may actually increase your odds of getting injured. Get a jumprope, do some kettlebell swings, whatever it takes to get your muscles warm before you start.

I like to get on the court and shoot around some. Maybe play some pickup ball if anyone is there. Then again, as my last post shows, that blows up in my face occasionally.
TamuKid
AG
Yeah, the last couple workouts I've actually done jumping jacks, burpies, and jump rope before starting to get warmed up.
Zeke1995
AG
quote:

OHP seems ridiculously hard compared to the rest. I just finished 75 pounds on OHP. But I'm not sure how I'll get 80 next time.

OHP hits the smallest muscle group of all the lifts, so you will probably stall on this before other lifts. I remember the feeling you are describing with OHP ....
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm really focusing on making sure I don't turn OHP into a push press just so I can make my reps. But, dang.
Old Army Metal
AG
If you're failing, it's probably better to get a push press in instead of just not doing the rep.

Just don't count it as a rep.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
If you're failing, it's probably better to get a push press in instead of just not doing the rep.

Just don't count it as a rep.
that's probably a good idea
TamuKid
AG
for reference, I'm 5'10", 162 lbs.

I see a lot of people saying their up to 120+ on OHP. Is that feasible for someone my size. Or are most of yall bigger? That just seems impossible.

Also, I feel like my lower back arches a good amount on the last reps of my last set. Should I count those. Or should I lower the weight due to bad form? Or is some lower back flexion okay?

Old Army Metal
AG
quote:

I see a lot of people saying their up to 120+ on OHP. Is that feasible for someone my size. Or are most of yall bigger? That just seems impossible.

Also, I feel like my lower back arches a good amount on the last reps of my last set. Should I count those. Or should I lower the weight due to bad form? Or is some lower back flexion okay?

I'm 6-1, 225. I've been lifting for 20 years. OHP is definitely one of those things you have to work on for a long time to get the sort of stability you need to do heavy weights. It's not just the delts that are lifting the bar, it's your core as well.

If you want to alleviate the back-arching, maybe stick one foot back a little bit to give yourself a more solid base.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm 6-1, 225. I've been lifting for 20 years. OHP is definitely one of those things you have to work on for a long time to get the sort of stability you need to do heavy weights. It's not just the delts that are lifting the bar, it's your core as well.

If you want to alleviate the back-arching, maybe stick one foot back a little bit to give yourself a more solid base.

5-11, 235. My OHP is at 175 (3x5).

I second the strong base. I either do a slightly split formation or just outside shoulder with. Knees are bend, in an athletic form.
TamuKid
AG
Thanks guys. I'll try offsetting my stance a bit.
Farmer1906
AG
Had my first failure on bench. I was scared to attempt my 5th rep on bench without a spot. One of the few negatives about working out in your garage, spotters are few and far between.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.