Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,391 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
AggieChemE09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiespartan
AG
50lb squat, 45 bench and row this morning. made it through all the reps.
aggiespartan
AG
Just ordered my 1.25 plates!
Post removed:
by user
Broncos
I'm three months removed from hernia surgery. The squats are starting to really beat me. I'm going to have to scale back or I'll be back in the OR.
Broncos
What's your OHP?!
Broncos
Also, in the few weeks I've been doing this program I've gained 13 pounds. While I expected some weight gain initially, 13 pounds seems like a lot. Anyone else experience this?
aggiespartan
AG
I just finished week 2. I'm already starting to see more definition in my arms and legs. I'm finding that I really didn't know how strong I was before. It's starting to get hard though. Next week should be interesting.
riverrataggie
AG
Just finished week 3. Feel so much better with this routine.

Squat - 245
OP - 135
DL - 265
Bench - 190
Row - 170
aggiespartan
AG
I don't know what good numbers are for guys, but it looks like you've made a lot of progress in just 3 weeks!
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I don't know what good numbers are for guys, but it looks like you've made a lot of progress in just 3 weeks!
its all relative.
SteveA
AG
What's a good replacement for overhead press? Shoulder doc says not to do it.
bam02
AG
Google "Shoulder Shocker" workout. It's been recommended on here for people with shoulder issues. I've had shoulder pain off and on over the years and this has been good for me during those times. I don't currently have any pain and can OHP without pain, as long as I keep my grip shoulder width of narrower.

Why did your doc say to not do them?
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
quote:
its all relative.

Yep. It is relative. I'm 6'3" and 205 as well. So these numbers aren't all that heavy. In 3 more weeks I bet I start to hit some walls.
AggieRAGE
AG
Decided to give this program a shot

Squats - 95lbs
Bench - 85lbs
Row - 65lbs

Probably should have done less on squats since I haven't done those in a while. Felt my right quad tighten up during the 3rd set. To be honest I just wanted to have a "larger" plate on there so I didn't seem like a poosy. I could have probably done a bit more on bench but after squats I decided to start slow. We'll see how the rest goes. I do hate that my 24 Hour Fitness only has 2 squat racks.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Decided to give this program a shot

Squats - 95lbs
Bench - 85lbs
Row - 65lbs

Probably should have done less on squats since I haven't done those in a while. Felt my right quad tighten up during the 3rd set. To be honest I just wanted to have a "larger" plate on there so I didn't seem like a poosy. I could have probably done a bit more on bench but after squats I decided to start slow. We'll see how the rest goes. I do hate that my 24 Hour Fitness only has 2 squat racks.
We only have 2 also, but I go early enough that I'm usually the only one using them.

I'm stuck at 40 on OHP.
SteveA
AG
I've been working through an 'impingement' and inflamed capsule or something. PT has been working, so I started this workout on monday. Went light in hopes that I will build this back up gradually.

Squat 115
Bench 115
Row 115

A few weeks ago, I couldn't get my shoulder back enough to get the squat bar on my shoulders. No problem with that now, so things are looking up.
K Bo
AG
Any of you guys use lifting shoes? I have been using an old pair of Chuck Taylors but have considered getting lifting shoes for squats.
bam02
AG
I've always just stuck with the CT's. This program had me squatting more than I ever had before and I never felt like different shoes would've made much difference.
K Bo
AG
I am, with proper form, squatting more than I ever have, as well. I'll probably stick with the CT's but was curious of any real benefit to lifting shoes.
AggieChemE09
AG
I lift barefooted.
aggiespartan
AG
I failed my first bench press today. Hopefully if I just repeat it next time, I'll make it. I failed on the last 2 sets.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Finished my 3rd week getting back into it. Love this program. Had great results last summer doing it. Really focusing on squat form this time around and going low.

It was recommended to me last summer to do my squats and dead lifts bare foot and I have really liked how it feels.
space_treadmill
AG
SQ - 160
B - 130
BR - 100

excited to finally put big boy plates on the bar for my next bench.
abram97
AG
Sq - 275
B - 275
DL - 365

need better legs...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Still ramping up and squatting far less than what I normally would, but got a nice slice of humble pie this morning. Had my 135 on and one of the middle aged women lifters tells me to leave it all on once I am done and proceeds to go up to about 185 in her workout.
abram97
AG
that's awesome...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiespartan
AG
I had a pretty good start to week 4:

95lb deadlift
45lb overhead press
70lb squat
AggieRAGE
AG
3rd workout done. Only lift I'm having issues with is the barbell row. I arch my back too much and it's causing my lower back a bit of pain. Should I use a weightlifting belt to help?
aggiespartan
AG
I can't really answer your question, but I think it is awkward for a lot of people. I have to consciously think about my form the whole time I'm doing it.
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
3rd workout done. Only lift I'm having issues with is the barbell row. I arch my back too much and it's causing my lower back a bit of pain. Should I use a weightlifting belt to help?

Just practice with a broom stick. Roll your shoulders back, slight bend in knees and bend at hips.

Go light till you got it figured out.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
Dont use a belt. Stare directly at the ground just in front of the bar. Hold the bar like you hold the bar for bench. Start from the ground every time. Every rep starts from rest and ends in rest.
hurricanejake02
AG
Well, for one reason or another, I managed to go just over a year since my last 5x5 workout...

But over the last month I pieced together a garage gym, cancelled the LA Fitness membership, and I'm back at it.

Here's the new setup. The spotter bars and dip attachment should get here Friday, but I just got my bar in, so I was anxious to test it out.

Day One... again:
SQ: 135 5x5
BP: 95 5x5
BR: 95 5x5
Ag12thman
AG
Awesome. Wish I had room for that and could cancel my $65 gym membership.
hurricanejake02
AG
It took some pretty major cleaning out (and the addition of overhead storage racks), but I'm really glad I did it so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.