Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,367 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Brock Sampson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's why I never slide in softball. That and I never wear anything longer than shorts.
Pahdz
Yeah I'm the newest member of the "no slide club"
yeahtoast
AG
That really sucks.

I'm in the no slide club as well, but mine have luckily just been giant thigh abrasions and bloody knees...
jks08
AG
Still healing from some pretty bad abrasions from a kickball slide two and a half weeks ago, I am also now a member of the no slide club
jks08
AG
Dp

[This message has been edited by Jks08 (edited 7/12/2013 10:26a).]
Brother Mouzone
AG
Sq 300
OHP 140
DL 295
AgEng06
AG
Workout 14(B) - 7/14

Squat: 160 - 55555
DL: 195 - 5
OHP: 95 - 55555
Row (90%): 105 - 55555
CGBP: 115 - 888
Curl: 75 - 888
AgEng06
AG
Workout 15(A) - 7/16

Squat: 165 - 55555
Bench: 150 - 55555
Row: 120 - 55555
Shrugs: 195 - 888
Skull Crushers: 75 - 888
MW03
AG
OH press is getting tough...
AgEng06
AG
MW03, what weight are you at on OHP?
Brother Mouzone
AG
I just stalled at bench. 270 lbs x 5,5,5,4,3
MW03
AG
Last rack was only 75, but it was the first time on this program that I've had to gut out a last rep. I'm really surprised at the difference in the strength it takes to do standing overheads versus seated presses or machine presses.

And I'll be honest, I probably haven't done many OH presses in any form or fashion since high school.
AgEng06
AG
I know the feeling. I thought my OHP was starting to get heavy around 80 lbs, but surprisingly I've kept moving up. Tomorrow I'll be doing 100 lbs and don't have any reason to think I won't get it. It's great to realize you are actually getting stronger between workouts.
MW03
AG
quote:
It's great to realize you are actually getting stronger between workouts.

The biggest place I've noticed this is in my bodyweight exercises. I've never, ever been any good at chinups or pullups. To say I'm even decent now would be a stretch. But after reading the 5x5 book, I realized that it was OK if I needed to do a little jump to get going, or to use momentum to swing out the next one. Just as long as I was working harder each time.

The results on what I've been able to do on the chinup bar in even ~3 weeks has been really impressive to me.
AgEng06
AG
Workout 16(B) - 7/18

Squat: 170 - 55555
DL: 205 - 5
OHP: 100 - 5

Left the gym pissed off after only one set of OHP. I've had a nagging pain in my left elbow/shoulder (mainly during push movements) that finally got unbearable today. It got to where it hurt to move my arm, or hell, even hold it still. Hopefully the off time until my next workout day (Sunday) will be enough, but it's doubtful. Really pisses me off because I was making great progress.
MW03
AG
Elbow or shoulder joint?
AgEng06
AG
I believe it's starting in my elbow, but radiating up to my shoulder as well.
dmart90
AG
Just started this program this week. 45 years old, 5'11", and about 210. I've never followed a regimented wight lifting program like this before.

After the first work out, my legs were sore for days. I've only really done cardio for the past couple of years - and I guess I'm in worse shape than I thought! I had to wait an extra day before working out again. Workouts 2 and 3 were much better.
Brother Mouzone
AG
I have been lifting for 18 years. Nearly same routine. I had plateaued for past couple years. Started this and have gained lots of strength in 6 weeks. I will continue for 6 more weeks then go back to old routine. This has been a much needed change of pace.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I am really struggling on squats. I have long skinny legs and keep deloading around 200lbs. It makes no sense. I deadlift with 365. Any body else having trouble with the squat?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
Workout 17(A) - 7/21

Squat: 175 - 55555
Bench: 155 - 55555
Row: 125 - 55555
Shrugs: 205 - 888

Abbreviated workout today due to the previously mentioned left arm pain. I think I'm going to lay off the rest of the week and see if that helps.
bhanacik
AG
bump

I plan to start this program next Monday.

Thanks for posting
AgEng06
AG
Since this was bumped, I'll update...

I have been taking the week off to see if my arm will recover a little bit. I hope to get back to it on Sunday, but we'll see.
TheMasterplan
Hey guys...Count me in as the newest member. Did crossfit back in 2010 and worked great. Started school back up and just didnt have time which I figured would happen. Then I started work as a field engineer in the oilfield and yeah, no time there either.

I have now been transferred over to Australia and they work a much more reasonable schedule. I'm either in the office 8-5 or in the field 6-6 (driving included) and meals cooked for you and everything out at camp. And there's a power rack at the camp. Started crossfit back up again but then I found this. Seems like the perfect workout for me given the work circumstances and equipment.

I just switched gyms yesterday to a 24 hr gym that actually has squat/power racks. What kind of gym doesn't have them?

All my weights will be in kilograms but I'm 5'8" 145 lbs right now. Pretty weak. Before I did crossfit in 2010, I was 135 but got up to 150 lbs. So I know what I need to eat but I just need the workout now. New country, new life.

I started out on Sunday but due to unforeseen work events, I've been unable to work out since so I think I'm going to restart on Monday.

20kg squat
20kg bench
30kg barbell row

I'm pretty excited to start. I've been looking up youtube videos and just doing that work out the other day, I enjoyed it. Once I get strength back up (hoping to do this for 6 months to a year), I think I'll switch back over to crossfit. We'll see though.

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 7/26/2013 7:59p).]

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 7/26/2013 8:00p).]

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 7/26/2013 8:25p).]
Pahdz
Awesome, I'm interested to hear the comparison to Crossfit
AgEng06
AG
Welcome aboard, Masterplan!
boboguitar
AG
Just finished my first week on 5x5. I started the squats and bench off heavier than recommended but that's because I've been doing those lifts for a couple weeks now.

What should be interesting is if I can progress like normal. I run 6 days a week(will always be my main focus). Right now I'm at 42 miles per week but I'm climbing to 65 in the next 3 months. I really can't find anything info online whether or not I'll still be able to complete it but I'm going to try. I gain muscle very easily and have benched 300 and squatted 500 in the past, so I'm hoping my genetics will overcome whatever makes it hard for runners to gain muscle and strength.
MW03
AG
Finished workout 12 this AM. No stalls yet, but I am definitely getting stronger. Best part is that my form on all the exercises feels really tight now that I am adding weight.
dmart90
AG
Finished week 2 yesterday. Legs no longer hurt after doing the squats. That's a good sign. :-) None of the weights feel heavy yet. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.
AgEng06
AG
Workout 18(B) - 7/28

Squat: 180 - 55555
DL: 215 - 5
OHP: 100 - 55555
Row (90%): 115 - 55555
CGBP: 120 - 888
Curl: 80 - 888

Finally got back in the gym after a week off and didn't experience any arm pain. Woohoo!
TheMasterplan
Squat: 20kg
Bench: 20kg
Row: 30kg

Pretty easy...gonna get heavy quick for me though. Adding 1.25 kg each side every time. The gym I'm at right now isn't very full either during the 4-6pm slot should be great.

Really focusing on my form right now with the light weights.

I literally couldn't wait to hit the gym today. I've never really felt like that before.

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 7/29/2013 6:00a).]
newhowdyag2004
How does the program work when you start getting stronger? I started yesterday and got 5x5 on bench with 230lbs pretty easily. But of course the gains aren't infinite so when I get to a point that I can't do 5x5 (say at 275lbs), what then? 5x3, 3x3?
newhowdyag2004
quote:
I just stalled at bench. 270 lbs x 5,5,5,4,3

What's your plan now?
Brother Mouzone
AG
I have now tried 270 twice and failed. I believe you keep trying until you get it then move up.

Yesterday I stalled on OhP and hurt my back on squat. I think I have gotten to too much weight for my frame.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
I have now tried 270 twice and failed. I believe you keep trying until you get it then move up.

Per the program, once you stall twice you deload 10-15% and work back up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.