Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,350 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was the two workout days (Major exercises) combined. On each day, I have opted for three assistance exercises, as well.

Workout A
Squat
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Skullcrushers
Standing Calf Raises
Planks

Workout B
Squat
OHP
Deadlift
Weighted Chinups
Seated Calf Raises
Hanging Knee raises
AggieChemE09
AG
Currently, I am on this program (pretty much SL5x5, so I still post here.)

ICF Workout A

Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Bent Over Row 5x5
Barbell Shrugs 3x8
Tricep Extensions 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curls 3x8
Hyperextensions with plate 2x10
Cable Crunches 3x10

ICF Workout B

Squats 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Standing Press 5x5
Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curls 3x8
Cable Crunches 3x10
aggiespartan
AG
I'm doing my second workout tonight - completely slept through my alarm this morning. I was pretty sore after workout 1, but I seem ok today. I'm a little worried about the deadlift, but it's only 1 rep.

I've been incorporating a variety of crunches, and I'm doing a little boxing on the off days. I even drank protein powder after my first workout!
Farmer1906
AG
You mean its one set.
AggieChemE09
AG
Deadlift is only one set of 5 if you dont warm up.

Here is what a typical deadlift workout would be for me in SL5x5.

1x5 135 LBS
1x5 185 LBS
1x5 225 LBS
1x5 275 LBS
1x3 315 LBS
1x3 345 LBS
1x1 365 LBS
and finally....
1x5 375 LBS
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
You mean its one set.
ugh, yes. It's been a long day.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Deadlift is only one set of 5 if you dont warm up.

Here is what a typical deadlift workout would be for me in SL5x5.

1x5 135 LBS
1x5 185 LBS
1x5 225 LBS
1x5 275 LBS
1x3 315 LBS
1x3 345 LBS
1x1 365 LBS
and finally....
1x5 375 LBS

I'm not really sure what to start at for the deadlift. I started bench and squat at 35lbs and I think I did 40 for the row. 108lbs body weight.
AggieChemE09
AG
Nearly everyone can do more on deadlift than any other exercise. But if you are just starting, I would start as low as possible the get your form down.

Maybe just the 45 LBS Bar would be a start for now. Next week you add some weight, maybe you are at 55 LBS, but I would still do a warmup at 45 LBS before your working weight set.

In time, you will progress faster in deadlift than other exercises due to it having a higher ceiling than other exercises.
aggiespartan
AG
I assume you would recommend stacking weights up on either side so I don't have to pick up the bar from too low? Even doing 55, it seems that the bar will be pretty low to the ground.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
I assume you would recommend stacking weights up on either side so I don't have to pick up the bar from too low? Even doing 55, it seems that the bar will be pretty low to the ground.
Definitely!
StringerBell
AG
Get the deadlift form down well.

I had bad form and ended up throwing out my back when i first started
aggiespartan
AG
Ok, I finished workout #2, and I'm feeling pretty good

5x5 squat 40lb
5x5 overhead press 30lb
1x5 deadlift 50lb
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
If your gym has a barbell rack that has 45/55/65/75/85 etc. barbels, then just start there.

If not, maybe use the 45 lb bar and just start with 10's on each side. Still should be manageable. Form will be compromised a bit until you can get 45 on each side since the diameter of the weights would mean your are adjusting your set up, but it will be fine for now.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
quote:
If your gym has a barbell rack that has 45/55/65/75/85 etc. barbels, then just start there.

If not, maybe use the 45 lb bar and just start with 10's on each side. Still should be manageable. Form will be compromised a bit until you can get 45 on each side since the diameter of the weights would mean your are adjusting your set up, but it will be fine for now.
The squat rack was occupied last night, so I just used the 50lb bar, and stacked up some plates on either side to make it higher. My gym has some shorter bars that go from. I think, 35lbs to about 75, so I have been starting with those since they are lighter. I imagine it will be a while until I can lift with 45 on each side.
hurricanejake02
AG
Most commercial gyms don't have bumper plates, but if you do have access to them, that's a big advantage - the 10lb plates will get you to the same height as the 45s.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Most commercial gyms don't have bumper plates, but if you do have access to them, that's a big advantage - the 10lb plates will get you to the same height as the 45s.
No bumper plates at my gym.

I'm not really sure how quickly I'm going to progress. The program is 5lbs each time, but his website says that women should do 2.5. I haven't seen any incremental weights that small though. Other than just following the program, I'm kind of ignorant to how the process works. Do you really get stronger after each session, or should I stay where I am for a while since I probably started closer to my max than most people?
Broncos
Started this a week ago. It's a pretty good program. I used to hate squats but the constant improvement is encouraging.
AggieChemE09
AG
Buy these and keep them in your gym bag!

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Olympic-Plates-1-25lb-2-5lb/dp/B005LZSR40

You should be able to progress in weight without much problem for the first 3 weeks or so, assuming you started low enough. After that, failure is just part of the game. If you fail a set, stay at that weight that workout and the next workout. If you fail the set 3 workouts in a row, drop 10%.

hurricanejake02
AG
Amazingly, these are actually cheaper from Rogue:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-plates

Should be $20 or so after shipping for a pair of 1-1/4 lb plates. I agree, just carry them with you.
Jetpilot86
AG
Imay have to get some for OHP progression before too long.
Silky Johnston
Anyone have any suggestions for a squat rack for a garage gym? I am on my third week and the weight progression for squats will soon be too heavy for me to get the bar on my back. My budget is probably in the $300-400 range.
bam02
AG
You probably need to find something on Craigslist to fit that budget. You can find a decent rack used for $400 but you will not find anything new retail that is worth owning. Craigslist would be the first place I would be looking, anyways.
Post removed:
by user
aggiespartan
AG
I just finished workout 4. I think I'm going to have to start adding weight slower to the arm lifts. I did find 1 set of 10lb bumper plates in the gym, so that will really help my deadlift.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
I just finished workout 4. I think I'm going to have to start adding weight slower to the arm lifts. I did find 1 set of 10lb bumper plates in the gym, so that will really help my deadlift.

Yeah I know my wife plateaued out pretty quick by going up in 5lb intervals. She got a little discouraged by it and eventually switch to a totally different routine. I think it would be wise for you to go up by smaller intervals and maybe even think about adding weight week to week as opposed to each workout.
aggiespartan
AG
Yea, I think it's going to be dependent on the exercise. I feel like I still have a ways I can go with deadlift, row, and possibly the squat, but the overhead press and bench are going to get me.
Jetpilot86
AG
OHP gets EVERYBODY
aggiespartan
AG
I was actually pretty proud of myself for getting through 35lbs on OHP without failing. I think I'll be able to successfully go up to 40.
AggieChemE09
AG
I, somehow, have been successful 2 weeks in a row at OHP. Gonna try for 3 Weeks in a row tomorrow!
aggiespartan
AG
Have you gone up in weight each workout?

I still need to order those little weights.

I'm really getting into this. I think having a program really helps. I can't wait until I can lift more than some of the bro-posers at the gym.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I'm really getting into this. I think having a program really helps. I can't wait until I can lift more than some of the bro-posers at the gym.
Keep at it, you will. I have seen a couple around the gym I workout in that are the size you describe yourself as, and do just that. For some reason they are really popular with the guys there too...
AggieChemE09
AG
aggiespartan
AG
What is your body weight? For right now, I kind of feel like 1/3 or so of my weight is pretty good, but I know that's probably super weak.
AggieChemE09
AG
bmks270
AG
The principles of 5x5 or starting strength, mainly progressive overload, works for almost every lift and rep range. Pick good exercises, keep adding a little bit more weight each time, do enough sets to make your form break down, and you have a program.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.