Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,322 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Workout #3
185 BS
75 OHP
185 DL

I am moving up pretty aggressively. Frees too easy even though I know I'll regret jumping up to heavy (for me) #s
Jetpilot86
AG
When it starts getting harder, slow down the increases.
K Bo
AG
Starting to get some lower back pain during/after low-bar back squats. I think I am going too low and my lower back is rounding. Gonna give it a go tomorrow and go to only parallel. If not change i Might be taking some time off squats. I am currently stuck at 225lbs.
Farmer1906
AG
Video yourself.
K Bo
AG
That's a good idea. I will likely do so tomorrow.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Do they have dumbbells? You can do OHP with dumbbells.

They do, but only go up to 50lb which I'll be surpassing very soon. I'll just make it work.

I also forgot to mention there aren't 2.5lb plates so 5lb increases require putting a 5lb on one side, which works on a smith machine.

I enjoy it so far and at least trying to have some fun with all my "shortcuts"
space_treadmill
AG
Is anyone having trouble recovering in time to squat 3 times a week?

My back and legs are still sore/tight 2 days after squating. Nothing unbearable but I don't want to get back under the bar again with them that tight.

I've been taking 2 full days off between workouts for the last 2 weeks. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues and what they did to combat it.
aggiespartan
AG
I only had that problem when I first started. I'm not lifting that heavy though. Maybe drop the weight and work back up?
Jetpilot86
AG
Not had that issue with 5 lb increases and deep squats.
SACR
AG

Shouldn't be having soreness if you've been doing it for a while and are using proper form.

I'd drop weight, get your body accustomed to the workload.

Start with the bar only, and go up 5 or 10 lbs every other day. See if that helps.
SACR
AG
quote:
quote:
Do they have dumbbells? You can do OHP with dumbbells.

They do, but only go up to 50lb which I'll be surpassing very soon. I'll just make it work.

I also forgot to mention there aren't 2.5lb plates so 5lb increases require putting a 5lb on one side, which works on a smith machine.

I enjoy it so far and at least trying to have some fun with all my "shortcuts"
You can buy 2.5 plates at Walmart or Academy.
bam02
AG
quote:
Starting to get some lower back pain during/after low-bar back squats. I think I am going too low and my lower back is rounding. Gonna give it a go tomorrow and go to only parallel. If not change i Might be taking some time off squats. I am currently stuck at 225lbs.

Have you tried low-bar back squats? To me these help keep the weight centered over your feet and keep your back straight. You should be able to squat way below parallel without rounding your back.
K Bo
AG
quote:
quote:

Have you tried low-bar back squats? To me these help keep the weight centered over your feet and keep your back straight. You should be able to squat way below parallel without rounding your back.
I actually do low-bar back squats now. I think (and I'm hoping video will corroborate this) that I am going so low (for my body) that my lower back is rounding. I decided just to take a full week off and will get back to it Sunday morning.
bam02
AG
Video should help. It could definitely be a hip and/or ankle flexibility issue. There are a lot of stretches you can google/YouTube that will help. I do "third world squats" several times a week and I really think they have helped my squats.
riverrataggie
AG
Yes third world squats are great. Those have helped me a lot as well
Zeke1995
AG
Just finished the first two weeks of restarting. Looking forward to getting the weights back up. Squat depth and flexibility are much better this time around, but I am also feeling older. No cure for age.
K Bo
AG
Very interesting stuff on third world squats. I will have to give this a try. Thanks!
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Have any of y'all ever tried reading the book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews? Lays out a great lifting program and really good information on formulating meal plans.

I started at the beginning of April at 6'0" 175 and 19% body fat and I'm down to 161 at 11% body fat and abs for the first time in my life. About to start bulking up to 17% once I hit 10%. Also, even on my cut, my lifts have gone up in strength across the board. I have been lifting since last November but didn't have a real direction until I started this in April.

It's a quick/interesting read and it really lays out how important your diet is to the whole process. I'm expecting I'll keep increasing in strength when I start my bulk.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Finally got all 5 sets of my OHP up @120

Now I'll be stuck at 125 for a while lol
aggiespartan
AG
I'm still stuck at 45 on OHP, but it's getting better. Finally making progress on squats again.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I switched over to box squats this morning before I get too heavy. Want to make sure I get low enough.
aggiespartan
AG
Getting low isn't my problem - it's getting back up.
bmks270
AG
quote:

My back and legs are still sore/tight 2 days after squating. Nothing unbearable but I don't want to get back under the bar again with them that tight.

I've been taking 2 full days off between workouts for the last 2 weeks. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues and what they did to combat it.

I had problems squatting 3x times a week. My knee would get swollen and fill up with fluid. I think it stemmed from skateboarding. This was about 3 years ago. Now I only squat 2x a week and am fine.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not recently but I did make one of the meatheads finally ask if I do squats every other day and he felt really bad about himself when I said yes.
K Bo
AG
Lower back pain still lingering after a week. Tried a very light SL workout today but no dice. Gonna take 4-6 weeks off and modify my workout.
hurricanejake02
AG
Round 2, Workout 17 - Finally got back up to plates on the BP and Row. Still feels easy, but I'm not making bigger jumps due to a possible impingement in my left shoulder - which is feeling marginally better each workout.

Squat: 215 5x5
Bench: 135 5x5
Row: 135 5x5
OHP: 80 5x5
DL: 210 5x5

Also adding pull-ups and dips, 3 sets 'til failure (because I'm not up to 10 yet), on rotating days. The dips are what really kill my shoulder.
SACR
AG
quote:
Round 2, Workout 17 - Finally got back up to plates on the BP and Row. Still feels easy, but I'm not making bigger jumps due to a possible impingement in my left shoulder - which is feeling marginally better each workout.

Squat: 215 5x5
Bench: 135 5x5
Row: 135 5x5
OHP: 80 5x5
DL: 210 5x5

Also adding pull-ups and dips, 3 sets 'til failure (because I'm not up to 10 yet), on rotating days. The dips are what really kill my shoulder.
Is this your progress after a whole week, or are you combining workout A and B into one workout?
shano0603
AG
quote:

Warming up properly, stretching, and foam rolling will help.
aggiespartan
AG
My last 2 workouts were pretty good:

squat 80
ohp 50
deadlift 145
bench 55
row started over at 45 because it still feels weird to me
hurricanejake02
AG
Squat, Bench, and Row numbers were from yesterday - OHP and DL numbers were from Monday.
Farmer1906
AG
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95
DL - 225 (try to keep this the same of squats)

I have been moving up 10# at a time, but I think I am going to make a 10-15% jump on each for Friday's lift. It just seems like too slow of a process.
SACR
AG
quote:
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95

I have been moving up 10# at a time, but I think I am going to make a 10-15% jump on each for Friday's lift. It just seems like too slow of a process.
What's your hurry?
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95

If you try to progress to fast early you won't have great form to fall back on that you developed by doing the correct motion at lower weights. This will probably ultimately slow you down later on.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95

What's your hurry?
To get stronger. It isn't challenging right now. Back in March/Apr of '15 when I stopped last time, I would ~370 on BS & DL, ~275 on BP.

I know starting at near my old maxes on here would be dumb so I wanted to build it up. It just seems like it takes far too long. But I know it worked last time around because I saw some great gains.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Last workout
BS - 235
BP - 155
BOR - 105
OHP - 95

What's your hurry?
To get stronger. It isn't challenging right now. Back in March/Apr of '15 when I stopped last time, I would ~370 on BS & DL, ~275 on BP.

I know starting at near my old maxes on here would be dumb so I wanted to build it up. It just seems like it takes far too long. But I know it worked last time around because I saw some great gains.
well if you have a background like that I would be doubling my increments as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.