Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,266 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OHP 150

Struggled to maintain balance a little. First time I have has that problem.
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 255 5x5 but my form is breaking down pretty bad.
OHP 115 5x5 busted past this sticking spot.
DL 315 3x5 then 2x1.
BBDP
AG
Anyone use a hex bar for deadlift?
shake-n-bak8
AG
I'm jumping on the SL 5x5 wagon! I'll post results of workouts when I get out of this light phase!

The phone app is awesome!
Bocephus
AG
BP 255
Rows 130
irish pete ag06
AG
Worked out this AM, I don't usually do that. My body was a little shocked.

I had a great workout last time. This time not so much.

Squat 255, 55555, this was good. This is where I plateau'ed before deloading.
OHP 120, 22433, weird workout. I just crapped the bed here, didn't "bring it" like I should.
Deadlift 265, 3, did 3 and decided to repeat this weight. Back was bending too much.
Bocephus
AG
OHP 155 only got 2 reps on last two sets. Try again on Friday
Bocephus
AG
BP 260
Rows 135
Brock Sampson
AG
Rows 145 all 5 sets today very easily. Workout today felt great
irish pete ag06
AG
Squat 210, 55555
OHP, 120, 35553

Did not do deadlift. I'm trying to let my lower back recover and loosen up.

So far the deload on squat has been good. I'm getting @$$ to grass every rep.
TXBowhunter
AG
I did a squat session with a trainer today. My form has been breaking down pretty bad and my legs were sore and dead. Trainer found some areas to adjust and worked on me exploding out of the hole. One thing I could not see myself or on video is that my right foot was 1" behind my left.

I am thinking about switching to the Texas Method for Squats. The 3x week of heavy volume is breaking me down. Texas Method would look like this:
Monday 5x5 moderate weight
Wednesday 2x5 light
Friday 1x5 heavy

It is a progressive loading for each 3 days; but you add the weight weekly not daily.

What do you guy's think?
AgEng06
AG
Ok, Stronglifters... Would a few of you dedicated guys mind posting where your lifts started out and where you are currently, along with maybe your overall thoughts on the program? Do you think Medhi's recommended starting weights in relation to your max are too low, too high, just right? Do you add any kind of supplemental exercises either on workout days or during the rest days?

I'm starting a tweaked version of 5x5 on Monday and just wondering what kind of progression you guys have made. Thanks!
Bocephus
AG
I just do the BP, OHP and Rows.

Started out with the rows at 65 like he recommended. I started out at 235 on BP. Started out with 95 on OHP.

I got up to 280 on BP but had to De-load. I'm up to 135 on rows and I believe 150 on OHP. My biggest issue is that I was doing incline barbell on A days. I was also doing close grip bench to work my triceps on B days. Eventually the front of my shoulders became so sore I was constantly in pain. I dropped both the incline and close grip and the shoulders are much better. The pain was a major reason I did not get 280.

I so do curls, straight bar tricep extensions and some kind of abs
Bocephus
AG
I should add, I think it is a good workout for adding lean muscle and building a foundation. It's not a good workout to get a beach body
irish pete ag06
AG
My 5 rep max when I started 5x5 on squat was 5x205, and that was probably not getting to parallel.

I've done sets of 5 at 255 now at parallel. I've deloaded because my form was starting to break down a little (my back was doing too much work).

Deadlift started at 255x5, but that was doing it sumo style, and I could barely do that. I've done a set of 3 at 285 now, and I'm quite positive I could pull 300 if I tried.

OHP, my 5 rep max was 95. Yesterday's workout I did 3 sets of 5 at 120. My shoulders have gotten waaay larger than they ever have been before also.

Bench is hard to gage. I had been doing a bench specific workout prior to stronglifts, so I'm afraid I've been plateau'ed on bench during this stronglifts session.

Row, I have no idea where I used to be, but I do know that my upper back is also larger than it's ever been.

It's a great program. I don't think the weights are too light if you use his spreadsheet and plug in. Especially on the lifts other than bench. I know everyone knows how to bench, but starting too heavy on squat, OHP, deadlift, and rows will just make you have bad form. His plan helps you to create muscle memory to help your body keep its form solid.

I occasionally supplement my workout, but I almost entirely do it with barbell curls or tricep push downs to keep the workout common with not using dumbbells.
Pahdz
quote:
Ok, Stronglifters... Would a few of you dedicated guys mind posting where your lifts started out and where you are currently, along with maybe your overall thoughts on the program? Do you think Medhi's recommended starting weights in relation to your max are too low, too high, just right? Do you add any kind of supplemental exercises either on workout days or during the rest days?

I'm starting a tweaked version of 5x5 on Monday and just wondering what kind of progression you guys have made. Thanks!

I'm four weeks in and I had to bump my bench starting weight up to 160 (1RM of 255 when I started) because I felt like I was getting nothing out of the bench, but the others I quickly started feeling like I was getting more out of the workout.

I'm really enjoying it though because it's allowed me to start from square one again and remind my brain of proper form on everything, especially on deadlifts since it's the lift I have the least experience with compared to the others.

I do supplement with dips on the workout A days, and I rotate between pullups/chinups after workout B.
Pahdz
quote:
but that was doing it sumo style

You're talking hands inside your feet, right?
TXBowhunter
AG
AgEng06:
Do start with the recommended light weight. It is a HUGE ego check for the first 6 weeks or so but it gives you time to study and perfect form. I spent countless hours studying form on the web and YouTube. I could not believe how bad my form really was until I did this homework and started videoing my lifts. And yes I still and will always work on form. See my above post.

If you do not start with these light weights you will fail way to soon and get frustrated.

To answer your question, here is my starting and ending work weights (started Jan 31st this year):
Squats 95 - 255 (20 years since working this weight)
Bench 85 - 195 (20 years since working this weight)
OHP 45 - 115
Row - 65 - 195
Dead 135 - 315

Yes I do add some extras to supplement my big 5 lifts.

Single arm standing press DB (OHP is a *****)
ham glute raise (squats)
close grip bench
crunches
pull ups and chin-ups

I only do 2 or 3 accessories and the end of my A/B workout in the 3x8 or 10 range.

[This message has been edited by TXBowhunter (edited 6/6/2013 9:49a).]
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the responses so far guys!

I plan on lowering my weights a decent amount, but my form is pretty good and I think some of his recommended weights are just soooo low.

For instance, my bench press 1RM is 200 right now. The program would have me start with 90 lbs. After 12 weeks (with no deloads) I'd only be at 175 5x5, which is an estimated 197-lb 1RM. So after 3 months, I have increased my bench by 0 lbs.

Either way, I have no problem deloading and won't get frustrated with it, so I think I'm going to start a little heavier. If I end up making it 3 weeks and have to deload, I'll drop it more than the usual deload and learn my lesson. Haha...

Oh, for the purposes of tracking, my 1RM's are as follows:
Bench: 200
Squat: 225
DL: 225+ (probably could have pulled 10-20 lbs more, but ran out of time in the gym)
OHP: 115
Row: 160
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:
but that was doing it sumo style

You're talking hands inside your feet, right?

Yes.
Pahdz
What is the proper DL form, sumo style or the other way around? What are the main differences, do they work the body different? Is one considered easier? Does it all just depend on your body type?
Brock Sampson
AG
quote:
For instance, my bench press 1RM is 200 right now. The program would have me start with 90 lbs. After 12 weeks (with no deloads) I'd only be at 175 5x5, which is an estimated 197-lb 1RM. So after 3 months, I have increased my bench by 0 lbs.

You are exactly where I was when I started. I started with 135 on bench since I knew what I was doing with it and 185 on squats. I did 185 for 2 or 3 workouts though as it killed my legs (not much of a squatter) and I wanted to get my form perfected.

I started rows with 95 and overhead press with 65.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks Brock, that's about what I was thinking. I'm planning on starting bench, squat, and DL at 135 and OHP and rows at 95. It think that is low enough to get it done, but still make some progress.

Edit: I may have to go a little lower on OHP, but we'll see how it goes after the first few workouts.

[This message has been edited by AgEng06 (edited 6/6/2013 12:54p).]
Pahdz
The OHP get a little tougher quicker than you might think. Rows on the other hand still feel easy (at 90lbs now) but I feel like I struggle keep my back in the right position, so I am not wanting to rush that because when the weight gets heavier I don't want that to be a problem.
Bocephus
AG
OHP 155 only 2 reps on 5th set
RockOn
Related question: If I'm doing set-ups with a barbell onto a 20" box... and I'm supposed to do 3 sets up 8 reps. Is 1 of each leg 1 rep, or would it be 4 for the left leg and 4 for the right leg?
irish pete ag06
AG
Squat 215, 55555, working on getting @SS to grass and EXPLODING out of the hole
Bench 160, 55555, I've also been working on exploding out of the hole and I've been making my left arm do equal work (it used to always be behind my right). I topped out at 165 last time... I think I'll get it next time.
Row 140, 55555

AgEng06
AG
I started a modified version of this program today, but the basic lifts are the same. I guess I'll get on board in this thread...

Workout 1(A)

Squat: 95 - 55555
Bench: 115 - 55555
Row: 85 - 55555
Shrugs: 135 - 888
Skull Crushers: 55 - 888

[This message has been edited by AgEng06 (edited 6/12/2013 6:53p).]
Bocephus
AG
forgot to post yesterday. BP 265 Rows 140
MW03
AG
After an aimless lifting session yesterday monkeying around with the incline bench, DL, squats, and rows with uncertain amounts, I'm going to jump on this program.

Am I understanding the thread correctly in that the point of the early stages are to master form? I plugged in my stats on the sheet and I can already feel myself wanting to add more weight, but I guess the point is to repress that urge and just work the program. Kind of excited to see where I am by labor day.
TXBowhunter
AG
You got it MW03.
AgEng06
AG
Welcome aboard, MW03.

irish pete ag06
AG
MW03, yes.

I recommend treating this as a marathon. When you start training for a marathon, you don't go run 13 miles the first day.

Build up... Slowly but surely. IT WILL NOT TAKE AS LONG AS YOU THINK TO GET HEAVY.
AgEng06
AG
Workout 2(B)

Squat: 100 - 55555
DL: 135 - 5
OHP: 65 - 55555
Row (90%): 75 - 55555
CGBP: 85 - 888
Curl: 55 - 888
fourthgenag09
AG
AgEng06, is that the Ice Cream 5x5? And are you working through the regular 5x5 app? How did you decide on what weight to start at?

[This message has been edited by fourthgenag09 (edited 6/13/2013 8:09a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.