Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,265 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Macpappy99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really enjoying this program. This is my first time back in the gym in years and what kept me away was time constaints. Now I'm able to get this done within 45 mintues and proceed on with my day. The scary part is how I look foward to my workouts.
Jetpilot86
AG
Three workouts while traveling this and next week so far, suboptimal equipment but I'm pushing some iron. We'll see how much the smith machines affect the next freeweight squats...
Zeke1995
AG
Smith machines get a lot of hate due to range of motion issues, but sometimes you have no real alternative. If you use one, keep in mind that the bar on a smith machine is not 45 lbs, and you will have to adjust the weight appropriately.
MattTheBrave
AG
I would suggest dumbbells over a smith machine, if there are some available. The smith machine will really make your form feel off and can increase the potential for injury.
Jetpilot86
AG
The weights are a bit heavy on squat for dumbells at this point. Thanks for the info on the bar weight, I had already noticed.

The 2nd time I was in that gym I found a small straight bar that I can use for everything but the squats and bench, there is no rack at all. So I got rows in and can do deadlifts until I use up their small quantity of plates...
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 6 Workout 3
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 125
Overhead Press 4 x 5 x 85, Missed one rep on the 4th set. grrrr
Deadlift 5 x 160

Been resting only 1:30 between OP sets, and was working in Germany in KG's and my last warmup set was a little bit heavier than it should have been. That probably was the difference on it today combined with a set on the Smith machine earlier in the week.

Back at it in a couple of days....
doodie2010
AG
Started week 7 this morning!

Squats: 5 x 135
Bench: 5 x 90
Row: 5 x 110

Felt good slapping on a plate at the squat rack finally and actually having to put on my attack mentality towards the 4th & 5th sets. Beginning to work hard.
The 5th set on rows was tough as well.
Zeke1995
AG
Until your barbell rows get to 135, they are a lot easier if you use a couple of plates to build a "stand" for the weights on each side the bar, so you are able to set the weight down each rep. It's a pain in the neck, but it makes the rows better.

If you haven't done that already, it makes the rows more tolerable.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 7, Workout 1
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 130 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 100 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 110 lbs

I'm pretty sure that the rest of the way, every workout is a Personal Record!

Really looking to get to plate on the Barbell Row. Stacking plates on the ground is a pita
Macpappy99
AG
Workout "B" Week 7, Workout 2
Squat 5 x 5 x 140 lbs
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 90 lbs
Deadlift 1 x 5 x 180 lbs

Finally had my first failure on the 5th rep of the fifth set of the overhead press. Not suprised as I have some impingement in my right shoulder.
TommyGun
AG
I just started this workout with my fiance this week. I've been lifting regularly for a few months but without any real program in mind. I decided it was time to get a little more regimented and work some goals in.

My fiance is starting it with me. She has never really lifted any free weights before so it is a bit of a learning curve for her, but she is doing great so far. Her form is already taking shape and I think she will see some serious results soon. She is tall and skinny but has expressed that she would like to tone up and get stronger. I figured this would be a perfect workout for her.

Overall, I've been impressed with the workout so far and I can feel the impact it's having already. It kind of feels like I'm going back to the basics which is not a bad thing at all. These foundational lifts used to be just about all I did back in HS football so I know how effective they can be when done right.

Yesterday "Workout A" Week 1, Workout 2
Weight 200lbs
Squat 5x5x100
Bench 5x5x95
Rows 5x5x70
Zeke1995
AG
Completed 3 months of this yesterday.

Squat from 45 to 220 (I deloaded to 175 to fix a form issue).

Bench from 45 to 135. I had benched more weight in the past, but I did not have as good of control over the weight as I do now.

Deadlift from 100 to 260. Overhead press from 45 to 115. Never really did these lifts before on a consistent basis.

The most surprising thing is increased strength and definition in arms, even though there are no "arm exercises" in this routine.
Macpappy99
AG
Started on week 8 today. Still stalled on the fifth set of overhead press at 90. This happens again and it's back down to 85. Other than that all the lifts are progressing well. Haven't lost a single pound but I am definitley noticing changes in appearance.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 7 Workout 2 couple of days ago
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 135
Overhead Press 3 x 5,1,3 x 85 Even after the 5 min rest was still tough. Deloading next time.
Deadlift 5 x 170 amazed how easy this set was. Ran 1.3 miles after, real slow pace.

Workout "A" Week 7, Workout 3
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 140 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 105 lbs Starting to feel
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 115 lbs

Was a bit bummed after having to deload now, but good to know I'm not the only one plateauing there. Dragging my butt to get in, but always feel better walking out....
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 8 Workout 1
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 145
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 75, Deloaded
Deadlift 5 x 180

Worked out with a kid in Anchorage today. He'd done this program. Very high on it. First person I'd encountered that had heard of it in a gym, much less did it. But then again, I get in and get out vs socialize.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 8, Workout 2
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 150 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 110 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 120 lbs

Power walked 4 miles after, ok well it started as a power walk :-)

[This message has been edited by Jetpilot86 (edited 5/27/2014 7:28a).]
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Started this today:

Bench 5x5 at 70
Squat 5x5 at 95
Row 5x5 at 65

Looking forward to seeing the gains come over next 12 weeks.
culdeus
AG
I think I'm going to start this program in July, however I'd like to do it with dumbells for the first 3 months or so then swap to bars.

Bars bother my shoulders more than DB. Is there a specific routine that programs weight ups on DBs? Or should I just weight/2 the bar weight?
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 8 Workout 3
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 155, getting tough
Overhead Press 5 x 5 x 80, still real tough
Deadlift 5 x 190

Coming off a far east trip. Very jet lagged. Gonna start mixing in tri training on off days. Keep it light but want to burn off more calories since I'm not a diet fanatic.

Don't know about a dumbell program specifically, but while you could just swap them in, it would probably be hard to find the 2.5 lb bells to bump up in weight with every other workout since the workouts call for 5lb increases each workout

Hth

[This message has been edited by JETPILOT86 (edited 5/31/2014 6:39a).]
doodie2010
AG
First failure today. Middle of the Week 9 workouts.

Squat: 5x5 at 170
Overhead Press: 4x5 at 105; Missed 2 reps on last set
Deadlift 5 x 215; all my forearms could do to hold on!
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm trying this for the first time. Have only recently gotten back into lifting weights. Used to be decently strong but an injury and life got in the way.

Bench 95
Squat 95
Bent row 80
chris1515
AG
What kind of shoes do you guys wear? My squat has not progressed in weeks, and I tried it without shoes last workout and did much better. Apparently running shoes don't make the most stable base.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yes typical running shoes are terrible for lifting weights especially squats and dead lifts.

Chuck Taylor's are good. I wear a new balance minimal shoe that has a rubber sole and no cushion and no raised heel. Flat shoes and minimal cushioning are more stable.
Zeke1995
AG
I second the chuck Taylor low tops.
mid90
AG
got back on the horse today after a while off (still working out, just not stronglifts)

5x5 squats: 90
5x5 bench press: 85
5x5 rows: 85
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 9, Workout 1
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 160 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 115 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 125 lbs

I use some Merrill trail running shoes in the gym, no heel, flat bottom. Probably should use my chuck taylor high tops for more support.

Short of a dedicated weight lifting shoe, I keep seeing that the "Chuck's" are best because of the support and flat heel.

I'm also getting some pain in my right elbow, just below the joint after the row's/deadlifts. I think it's because i sometimes forget to pretension the joints before I start to do a lift, and just PULL instead.

Ideas?
Macpappy99
AG
I wear the merrel flux glove when I lift, and I feel they provind the support I need. I have a pair of trail gloves that I wear to walk around in but don't think I could lift in them because of the more aggressive tread.

As far as the elbow goes, remember how you are trying to lift the weight off the ground in a controlled motion. This has helped me not to try and jerk the weight up. On the deadlifts it’s supposed to be as if you’re pushing your feet through the floor. On the rows you’re trying to pull the bar to your upper stomach.
Jetpilot86
AG
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it came from "jerking" the weight vs lifting it. I'll ignore it until I have to deload, then take a few weeks off of the respective lifts....
irish pete ag06
AG
Just an update on my current situation.

I've taken the opposite approach to lifting this year. I am currently trying to lose weight and lean down to a respectable body fat level less than 15% (I am probably currently at about 18-19% now).

I do miss pushing really heavy weight around. I imagine next year, I am going to get back on this and eat at a slight calorie surplus to hopefully slowly pack on some strength and size again.
Furlock Bones
AG
Man the beginning of this workout isn't much of a workout. I know it will get tougher quick. But...
irish pete ag06
AG
Sloan... in my experience, this helped with building your form. Give it time. It gets heavy before you know it.
Zeke1995
AG
In 3 months, the squats will increase by 180 pounds, and bench will increase by 90 pounds. It'll get challenging soon.

Jetpilot86
AG
Sloan,
As noted above, I'm on week 9 now. First 4 weeks are a joke even for a start from scratcher like me. Then one or two exercised started to get hard over the next two weeks. Week 7 started meaning a personal best on each exercise, but about half felt like work but not "hard" still. Week 9, it is all hard. Some exercises I have to fight for every single rep.

Said before, and I will repeat, be a form fanatic now, you WILL need it later.

If you are bored, do cardio after each workout. Up to 60 mins for the 1st four weeks, 30 mins max after that.

[This message has been edited by JETPILOT86 (edited 6/4/2014 5:33p).]
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "B" Week 9 Workout 2
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 165, getting tough
Overhead Press 55423 x 85, Another failed OP
Deadlift 5 x 200

Second failure on OP

Rode my bike for 30 mins after to burn off some spare calories.
Jetpilot86
AG
Workout "A" Week 9, Workout 3 from 2 days ago
Wgt ~190
Squat 5 x 5 x 170 lbs
Bench 5 x 5 x 120 lbs
Barbell Row 5 x 5 x 85 lbs

Dropped the row weight a bunch to try to let my elbow sort itself out as it is still bothering me.

At this point, I'm fighting for nearly every rep....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.