Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,321 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting week 14 today... but I'm still seeing gains, and my best motivation has been seeing a new PR every workout. I'm going to keep going and see where it leads.

...but I'll find out today if I have to deload on the OHP at 125lbs. That possible failure will be overshadowed by hitting 3 plates on the DL for the first time.
raidernarizona
Wow! You are at 315lbs on DL?
hurricanejake02
AG
Started the first week of September, missed one week for work travel, this is the weights I hit last week:
Lift Start Current
SQ 75 275
BP 65 195
Row 65 185
OHP 65 125*
DL 130 300

*Currently at 2 straight workouts of 5/5/5/4/3
raidernarizona
Strong! Nice work!
hurricanejake02
AG
I'll admit, those starting weights were stupid light for me (6'1", 240.... okay, 245)

But having never been one for solo free weight workouts, I wanted to focus on form and not royally hurting myself.
culdeus
AG
I like this, just getting started so weights are stupid low as well, but I can fight through that.

My wife is also doing it as a changeup from doing mostly P90x type routines.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
quote:
Started the first week of September, missed one week for work travel, this is the weights I hit last week:
Lift Start Current
SQ 75 275
BP 65 195
Row 65 185
OHP 65 125*
DL 130 300

*Currently at 2 straight workouts of 5/5/5/4/3

Very nice!
cupcakesprinkles
AG
quote:
I've got my last workout Wednesday of this week to complete the first 12-weeks. I couldn't get through 205 on squat again today, so I will deload there. I hope I can get through the 130 lb on OHP and squat will be my only failure.

Have any of you taken a month off from the SL to do something else and then come back to it? I really like it, but's gotten a tad stale and I would like a change of pace for a month or so.

I was thinking of something like a 3 day mass split MWF.

Monday - BB Squat/BB Front Squat/Rom. DL/BB Lunges

Wed - Back/Core

Fri - Chest/Shoulders - Thrusters

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes, definitely do a different workout once you no longer have the motivation to do a specific workout. If you are looking for a full body mass building program then check out Dan John's - Mass Made Simple.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
I had my first FAIL today on squat at 205 lbs. Went 5/3/3/3/3. Most I've ever squatted. I never focused on squats and DL before this. I've grown to really like them both. Today I didn't want to go ass to grass w/o a spotter so I was pretty cautious.

Anybody else doing this routine solo and sans spotter? I think I am going to pickup the TaskForce metal sawhorses at Lowes because I don't have any safety pins in my rack. I can set them just below parallel in case I do fail.
I've been happy with these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crawford-38-in-Adjustable-Folding-Sawhorse-SH38A-16/100003259
raidernarizona
Thanks NG! Looks almost identical to the ones I had in mind...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_162111-31596-60142_0__?productId=3488679
Farmer1906
AG
Starting this tonight. I gotta say I entered my maxes and the workouts look way too easy. I'll report back but hopefully its halfway challenging.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Starting this tonight. I gotta say I entered my maxes and the workouts look way too easy. I'll report back but hopefully its halfway challenging.
It will be easy to start, work on perfect form and look fondly back on "easy" in a few weeks
raidernarizona
Don't know your fitness level but it doesn't take too long for that weight to creep up. Focus on perfect form for now and add in some other work if you want until it does....

^^^pilot beat me to it
Farmer1906
AG
Alright, it felt more like a warm up than a workout. I added a little to what it recommended too (to make it easier loading weight). This may be a no-no, but i combined a few sets because i did not require a break. I'm going to stick with it until I feel more challenged. Maybe go up by more than 5 pounds a workout if it takes too long.

I will say the only thing I found really interesting (positive) was going all the way to the ground on rows.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
Maybe go up by more than 5 pounds a workout if it takes too long.
Definitely did this on a few days that I was feeling good, and also if it helped with weight loading. Sometimes the extra motivation you need is just seeing that extra plate.
culdeus
AG
Even though it isn't much doing squats way low is already starting to get my attention.

The rest of it isn't too hard at all yet and I've been just sort of rounding up to the next plate up on the non squat stuff.

Haven't really changed my eating too much. Wasn't really going for a big bulkup.

It's kind of funny to see tons of people in the gym doing basically the same routines on the same days. Once you see the pattern people are using you are like, yup, he's on the program.
Jetpilot86
AG
Butt to grass is the dead giveaway
Farmer1906
AG
Day 2 was similar to day 1. I think I'll bump up ~20% and see how that feels.
Wade_3
AG
Late to the thread, but...

I love Stronglifts 5x5! I was pretty big into Xfit for awhile and always did better with the power lifting portion of the exercises. I switched over to 5x5 and got more gains than I ever did in Xfit (for powerlifting).

I am doing more of a modified 5x5 now. I took out the rows and super-set kipping pull-ups with the Squats but I still do the OHP, BP and DL.

My maxes:

425# Squats Ass to grass
515# DL (these are really 5x1 though)
165# OHP (easily my weakest exercise)

I like to throw in 5x3 of Power cleans and 5x3 of Power Snatches as well.

If I am feeling frosty I switch it up to 5x3 squat cleans (can't break the 245# barrier...all mental!) but I don't like to squat snatches in a normal gym.

I don't use spotters and I don't like using gloves/braces or lifting belts. Def get looks from folks when I go ATG since many people don't do that. I have never understood going 1/3rd of the way down on a squat...doesn't do anything for you!
Wade_3
AG
quote:
Even though it isn't much doing squats way low is already starting to get my attention.

The rest of it isn't too hard at all yet and I've been just sort of rounding up to the next plate up on the non squat stuff.

Haven't really changed my eating too much. Wasn't really going for a big bulkup.

It's kind of funny to see tons of people in the gym doing basically the same routines on the same days. Once you see the pattern people are using you are like, yup, he's on the program.
The better the form on the squats, the more gains you will see over time (power and finesse-wise).

If more people focused on form over weight they would see much, much better gains in strength and muscle definition.

Give it time. Soon it will be tough, but worth it!
hurricanejake02
AG
I seem to have strained my left tricep and forearm re-racking a 295lb squat on my fifth set last week... it's not terrible, but it's obvious when I'm lifting.

Looks like I'm taking a week off, which I'm probably due. I was getting to a point where I was failing my OHP, bench, and lost my grip on a 325lb DL.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I seem to have strained my left tricep and forearm re-racking a 295lb squat on my fifth set last week... it's not terrible, but it's obvious when I'm lifting.

Looks like I'm taking a week off, which I'm probably due. I was getting to a point where I was failing my OHP, bench, and lost my grip on a 325lb DL.
How do you strain your arm on squats?

It sounds like you should work on your grip. Towel pull ups are always fun. Or maybe wear wraps or gloves.
hurricanejake02
AG
Doing low bar squats, and I didn't quite have the height to rack where I normally do. Instead of gathering myself, and pulling my torso up or doing a calf raise, I somehow muscled the left side side of the bar up with my arm to rack the weight.
culdeus
AG
I'm nowhere near the level you guys are at but I guess I'll be the 100th person to say the speed the squat picks up looks to be too fast. The rest of the lifts are still in the super easy mode for me. Barely really even have to try on the other 5 lifts and I'm midway thru week 3. Now I think 8 workouts in.

Squats though I'm already starting to feel like a wall is somewhere out there in the future. Doing this every other day makes it tougher, and you pickup weight each workout.

Still pressing on and enjoying it.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I'm nowhere near the level you guys are at but I guess I'll be the 100th person to say the speed the squat picks up looks to be too fast. The rest of the lifts are still in the super easy mode for me. Barely really even have to try on the other 5 lifts and I'm midway thru week 3. Now I think 8 workouts in.

Squats though I'm already starting to feel like a wall is somewhere out there in the future. Doing this every other day makes it tougher, and you pickup weight each workout.

Still pressing on and enjoying it.

Felt that way about the same time. Kept expecting to miss, it finally came true, 7 weeks later.
Farmer1906
AG
I just finished WO #5. I love that squats is every other day. I love legs. However per the spreadsheet I should have started at 150 and progresses to 175. I started at 150 and just finished up sets at 205 and still hard feel it. Bench is even easier.

How far along was everyone when they started to really feel it?
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I just finished WO #5. I love that squats is every other day. I love legs. However per the spreadsheet I should have started at 150 and progresses to 175. I started at 150 and just finished up sets at 205 and still hard feel it. Bench is even easier.

How far along was everyone when they started to really feel it?
I started with empty bar on squats. When I had to stop after 10 weeks due to an elbow injury from bad deadlift form, I'd never had any post workout lactic acid pain, or missed a leg workout, none! It's what I love about the program, gains, no pain! Just hard work and the numbers to show results.

I really fell off the wagon and need to get back in the program, but the first day I tried, i did not deload enough and almost couldn't walk for 2 days!

5x5 will change how you workout and how you look at it, it has me.

Now to get my carcass back in the gym.....
Necrosis
AG
Nothing like the first day when you squat the bar with bros staring you down like, " you serious bro? Done yet?"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wade_3
AG
Aggie1906,

I was a ways into it when I started feelin sore from the workouts. I took a break for awhile but doing it for the last 2-3 weeks I'm back up to

325# squat
455# DL
235# BP
155# OHP

For squats, 385# was when it got difficult for me and took more than 2 weeks to feel comfortable pushing past it.

I think it a different for everyone though.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
Nothing like the first day when you squat the bar with bros staring you down like, " you serious bro? Done yet?"
Or, right after your first warm up set of squats on A day, someone asking how many sets you have left....

"Well you can work in or check back in an hour, I've got about 30 sets that will require the squat rack, bro"
Wade_3
AG
And when they work in they do bar curls...in the rack.

Makes me want to punch kittens.
culdeus
AG
quote:
Aggie1906,

I was a ways into it when I started feelin sore from the workouts. I took a break for awhile but doing it for the last 2-3 weeks I'm back up to

325# squat
455# DL
235# BP
155# OHP

For squats, 385# was when it got difficult for me and took more than 2 weeks to feel comfortable pushing past it.

I think it a different for everyone though.

JFC. I don't even know what 455 would look like.

Is there someone on here that basically never lifted much more than their body weight on anything that got up to numbers like this on a line?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
325# squat
455# DL
235# BP
155# OHP
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you're the opposite of...
culdeus
AG
quote:
And when they work in they do bar curls...in the rack.

Makes me want to punch kittens.

I always said I'd never seen someone actually doing curls in the SR until yesterday. Guy had the oly bar with like 10s on the side and arched his back like a cat to rack out 10 reps each.

I laughed. At least there are 3 where I workout. But of course he grabbed the one with the best visibility to a mirror.

Wade_3
AG
Aggie,

I see dudes like that all the time and I just can't figure out what the motivation is.

Why would somebody willfully not work out half of their body? Squats and DLs are some of the best full body workouts you can do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.