Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,272 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First week. Should I take it easy on the squats with extra days rest if I'm limping around the office?
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Really wanted to do this program as I haven't lifted in probably 20 years and thought this would be a great, simple way to add total body strength. Did the first week, but the squats are killing my legs and I've lost all ability to even remotely get a decent run in. I was hoping I could still keep up the tri training, but even an easy 3-4 mile run hurts like hell and riding has been reduced to nothing more than a soft spin. I'm assuming as the weight continues to climb, this will continue to be the case? I like the program, a lot, but looks like I may need to do something different since I'm not willing to stop the tri training, especially with my next HIM only 14 weeks away.
hurricanejake02
AG
If you're hurting that bad, you jumped in with too much weight.

Deload a bit, and keep progressing slowly.

I didn't have any serious soreness issues until I was almost 9 months into the plan and squatting 350+...
AgFB
AG
I was sore, but it gets better and it seems to be that my hip flexors get more sore now.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I started with just the bar like it recommended and went up like it said. I probably should've been more clear... The legs hurt when I run or ride. The squats feel super easy, almost felt like I didn't even workout, even as the weight is climbing, the weight feels easy, but as soon as I try to go for a run, within 1/2 mile my quads and IT band's are screaming at me. Same with biking, it's not until I get on the bike and try to push up the power level and my legs just have nothing in them. Clearly the new movement is having more affect on my legs than I realized and I knew it would, but I didn't think it so severely restrict my ability to run.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I started with just the bar like it recommended and went up like it said. I probably should've been more clear... The legs hurt when I run or ride. The squats feel super easy, almost felt like I didn't even workout, even as the weight is climbing, the weight feels easy, but as soon as I try to go for a run, within 1/2 mile my quads and IT band's are screaming at me. Same with biking, it's not until I get on the bike and try to push up the power level and my legs just have nothing in them. Clearly the new movement is having more affect on my legs than I realized and I knew it would, but I didn't think it so severely restrict my ability to run.
Keep us posted, I'm trying to do the exact same thing as I jump back into the program. I do remember reading in their literature that the first few weeks when things are light, that you can do some cardio right after, but not on the rest day.

My goal is to lose weight as well as gain strength out of the two programs, SL and Tri training, but I'm willing to have one or the other progress slowly to have results from both.
shano0603
AG
Stretch after. Eat more
Iowaggie
AG
quote:

Does anyone know if there's a calculator for estimating what I might be able to do on a one rep max? Just curious as I wonder where I'm at compared to HS.

I've started using the free Jefit app.

Easy to program and edit the workout, and unlike the free 5x5 app, it automatically starts a rest timer after entering lift.

Also estimates your one rep.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Soaked in a cold bath last night and definitely made a difference in my leg recovery for lifting this morning.
Silky Johnston
I just started this program last week using the free app. Started with only slightly more weight than the bar and have been increasing as he app tells me. I am sure I feel much different after the weight increases, but it is hard to feel like I am accomplishing much by only doing 3 or 4 different excercises.

I noticed earlier on this page that it is not recommended to do cardio on the off days? Is that right, or only when you get to heavy weights? I have been doing cardio consisting of nine three-minute rounds of alternating betweem jumping rope, heavy bag, and kettlebell swings. Not sure if I should keep this up or not.
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I just started this program last week using the free app. Started with only slightly more weight than the bar and have been increasing as he app tells me. I am sure I feel much different after the weight increases, but it is hard to feel like I am accomplishing much by only doing 3 or 4 different excercises.

I noticed earlier on this page that it is not recommended to do cardio on the off days? Is that right, or only when you get to heavy weights? I have been doing cardio consisting of nine three-minute rounds of alternating betweem jumping rope, heavy bag, and kettlebell swings. Not sure if I should keep this up or not.
In a few weeks you won't be able to do so. Until you miss a set, I'd say go for it as long as you do it the same day as you are lifting, NOT on the rest day in between. There is a Medhi article on it somewhere in this thread. I'm about to start this again and will do cardio after the workouts until I start missing sets, then will figure out if I'm willing to accept slower gains to do cardio, or do a SL 12 week cycle then a cardio cycle for ? weeks.

Here's a few quick links:

http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/

quote:
Beyond that, you can add half an hour of cardio after StrongLifts 55 to burn extra calories
and speed up weight loss. But prioritize lifting weights you need to
build muscle. Oh, and don't do cardio on your off days, your body needs
recovery. You need those legs for Squats. And clean up your diet :-)
Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
First time I did the program, I didn't do cardo until week 4, and quickly had to stop, didn't clean up the diet much and didn't lose weight, but I felt some shape changes. Got hurt using bad deadlift form in week 10, tennis elbow because I tried to snatch the weight off the floor, vs preload and pull and am just now looking to get back into the program. If you've read the thread, you will see the warnings about focusing on PERFECT form early on. Heed them.
mrsbeer05
AG
I am currently training for a 10K, but want to do weights to build up strength and really liked this program. But now the warnings about doing cardio have me reconsidering. I'm okay with slow progress.
trailrunner
AG
I'm trying this program out after not lifting weights for about 20 years. I'm very "fit" from lots of running, but realize muscle weakness has been one of my limiting factors in longer races, especially if there's a lot of elevation change. The weights seemed ridiculously easy at first but I can feel them building up a bit now in week three. mrsbeer05 - I don't know that you need to avoid running entirely, but I would proceed cautiously. I'm running while doing this program but I'm also avoiding some of the things I would normally be doing as part of my normal routine: speedwork, hill repeats, long runs, etc... Also, I'm eating a lot more than normal. We'll see how the body feels as the weights get higher.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
alright I'll start Monday. I spend today getting my new 1RM for the 5x5

Bench - 305 LBS
Squat - 255 LBS
DeadLift - 315 LBS
OHP - 145 LBS
Bentover row - 205 LBS

Not as bad as I thought they were (ratio wise), but gotta get that squat in a better spot. Thakns for y'alls comments and I'll update in like 6 weeks or so.
6/10/2015
Bench - 5x230 LBS
Squat - 5x265 LBS
DeadLift - 5x265 LBS
OHP - 5x145 LBS
Bentover row - 5x150 LBS
5'10" @ 181 LBS

10 months of doing the program off and on. Last 2 months I haven't gone more than 3 days without training. My shoulder got hurt last september and I couldn't do upper body till january.

Bench is a little down from last update due to the shoulder, but I am full speed ahead now.
I am now squatting my previous 1RM, it is getting tough!
Deadlift is steadily increasing, might start increasing by 10lbs a week until I start feeling a wall.
OHP is real tough, but I am now doing my previous 1RM for my sets. Doubt I get to 155LBS without failure.
Bentover Row is doing alright too.
shano0603
AG
Squat/deadlift being that close to your bench is odd.
AggieChemE09
AG
Yup, for years I worried about re-injuring my back that I hurt in HS football. So I neglected Squat completely. Finally saw a doctor and got it all sorted out, now I am evening out as fast as I can.
shano0603
AG
That explains it. Injuries blow... Good luck! congrats on the progress.
AggieChemE09
AG
7/1/2015 (6/10/2015)
Bench - 5x240 LBS (+5)
Squat - 5x285 LBS (+20)
DeadLift - 5x305 LBS (+40)
OHP - 5x150 LBS (+5)
Bentover row - 5x170 LBS (+20)
5'10" @ 183 LBS
10andBOUNCE
AG
Looking for a little support here. Seems I have stalled out on OH Press @ 110 LBs. Third straight workout to fail. Last two I was really close but this morning on set 1 I had zero juice and just went and did some ancillary work on the shoulders.

All of my other lifts have progressed nicely over my first 6 weeks of 5x5 and this morning I felt really good on squats. So I don't think it was necessarily an "energy" thing this morning. OH Press has always been my issue.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips to get past this little plateau I have hit. I plan to deload back to 95 like the app suggested. Any other exercises to supplement or just stick to the plan?
AggieChemE09
AG
This video is recommended when this subject comes up

AgFB
AG
Good stuff. I've never thought about my bar grip or used a good pelvic thrust when doing OHP. Hoping to throw the bar through the roof today.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks for the video. Compared to the strong lifts form it is pretty consistent. Not sure how I feel about that small rocking motion for momentum. I typically don't involve that kind of movement in my lifts. But I do need to revise my form.
AgFB
AG
Tried it today. The rocking motion took some practice to get the timing and coordination down. The grip did help a ton.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wouldn't rocking on a press be the equivalent to kipping?
Pale Rider
AG
I did SL for about 3 months and loved it.

My biggest issue was squat. I just got stuck at 170lb for what felt like forever (3+ weeks).

For me, the problem (I believe) I am having with it is mobility related. All those years at sitting at a computer have atrophied my hamstrings, psoas, hip flexors, etc. It's really terrible. I've been stretching out briefly before and after my workouts, but my mobility is so bad (can't remotely touch my toes etc) that didn't really help or make a noticeable difference.

I got frustrated, ended up taking 4 weeks off to do some running, then this week came back to it and deloaded. I guess this time around I'm going to see if on my "off days" I can do some yoga in addition to doing hamstring/hip specific stretches when I wake up every morning.

At least that is all I can figure \_()_/
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I did SL for about 3 months and loved it.

My biggest issue was squat. I just got stuck at 170lb for what felt like forever (3+ weeks).

For me, the problem (I believe) I am having with it is mobility related. All those years at sitting at a computer have atrophied my hamstrings, psoas, hip flexors, etc. It's really terrible. I've been stretching out briefly before and after my workouts, but my mobility is so bad (can't remotely touch my toes etc) that didn't really help or make a noticeable difference.

I got frustrated, ended up taking 4 weeks off to do some running, then this week came back to it and deloaded. I guess this time around I'm going to see if on my "off days" I can do some yoga in addition to doing hamstring/hip specific stretches when I wake up every morning.

At least that is all I can figure \_()_/
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

This WILL fix your squat issues. A few weeks of those and you will have the flexibility to squat with proper form, and up your weights. I suspect you don't have atrophy issues, you have mobility/flexibility issues affecting your form.

mid90
AG
Yoga is a fantastic way to increase your mobility.
AgFB
AG
More people doing curls in the squat rack today. Considering just purchasing my own rack and sweating it out in the garage. Very rare for me not to get slowed down by someone using either the rack or bench.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
More people doing curls in the squat rack today. Considering just purchasing my own rack and sweating it out in the garage. Very rare for me not to get slowed down by someone using either the rack or bench.
That's what I did and I love it!
Pale Rider
AG
Thanks. I think that sounds like a good plan.

I actually knew about 3rd world squats and have done them (to my ability) on and off, but didn't realize their importance or how impactful they are.

Going to focus on them now so I can get things moving forward with my squat. The things that were said in that article basically describe me, so it seems like this is what I need.
AggieChemE09
AG
About to switch to Madcow 5x5 so my group and I had a 1rm day.

Body Weight = 182 LBS

Bench 1RM = 300 LBS
Squat 1RM = 335 LBS
Deadlift 1RM = 390 LBS

Total = 1025 LBS
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
That's what I did and I love it!
Me too.
shano0603
AG
quote:
About to switch to Madcow 5x5 so my group and I had a 1rm day.

Body Weight = 182 LBS

Bench 1RM = 300 LBS
Squat 1RM = 335 LBS
Deadlift 1RM = 390 LBS

Total = 1025 LBS

Nice. I hope the back is doing well.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Switched to barefoot squats and dead lifts this morning as I deload/work on form this week and really liked the difference it made.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.