Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,368 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It looks great. Where are you getting your equipment?
hurricanejake02
AG
The bench and squat stand are Rogue, picked those and the stall mats (Tractor Supply) up on Craigslist. The bar is a Cap from Amazon, and the plates were all from a guy I found in Houston who sells gym equipment out of his house. Brand new rubber coated plates for $1/lb.
Ag12thman
AG
Sounds like you got a bargain. If you compare that to a gym membership, which you really never pay-off, you're really getting some quality stuff for a lot of $$$ savings.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm stuck on most of my lifts now. It's really frustrating.
riverrataggie
AG
Just finished exercise 16. I can see myself failing soon on some of these soon.

Squat - 285
OP - 155
DL - 300
Bench - 215
Row - 190

Question on squats. I'm relatively tall (6' 3") and unless I do low bar I put to much pressure on my knees. However, I've never done a workout where I've squatted like this 3 times a week and where the bar rests is starting to get pretty sore.

Should I drop down a little weight and build back up and get my body adjusted to it?
Farmer1906
AG
May need to check on your form if you are feeling a lot of pressure on your knees.
riverrataggie
AG
It's more of a stability thing. I've always done low bar since was taught in middle school versus high bar, but not trying to get in that discussion.

Perhaps I should let up some and hit the high bar for a while though. Or even go front bar.
Farmer1906
AG
Why do you want to stop doing low bar?

http://stronglifts.com/squat/#Bar_Position
riverrataggie
AG
Was just thinking of alternating high versus low to even out the bar pressure across my upper back and shoulders.

TommyGun
AG
I get a heck of a lot more soreness with high bar. It puts more strain on my neck, shoulders, and lower back. You could try it, but I'm not sure you will like the results. However, everyone is different so it's up to you.
AggieChemE09
AG
Had my back flair up about a month and I finally was able to get back to working out on Monday. Dropping 20% on every lift and working back up.
Ag12thman
AG
Is this where the anti - Crossfit folks post? Seriously, I'd like to know more about this program. Is there a book or what's the story, basically? Hard to go back through all the posts as this thread is pretty long. TIA.
TommyGun
AG
quote:
Is this where the anti - Crossfit folks post? Seriously, I'd like to know more about this program. Is there a book or what's the story, basically? Hard to go back through all the posts as this thread is pretty long. TIA.

Visit the stronglifts 5x5 website and it'll have everything you're looking for. If you decide to give it a try then download the stronglifts app to keep track of your progress
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks.
aggiespartan
AG
The app is great. Everything is right there for you.
Ezra Brooks
AG
If you are looking for a book with very in-depth discussion about why this program works, look into Starting Strength as a better source than Stronglifts.
Zeke1995
AG
I did this about 2 years ago, and got my squat up to 260 and deadlift up to 345, but then I fell off the wagon.

Restarted it yesterday.
aggiespartan
AG
I used 45s for the first time today!! woohooo
space_treadmill
AG
SQ 200
B 150
BR 120
OHP 120
D 225

6 weeks in and all 5 are getting hard.
K Bo
AG
Heading to the gym in a sec. On the agenda today is:

225 squat
165 bench
135 row

I deloaded a couple weeks ago to focus on my form and I also started to lift without shoes on. It's made a huge difference.
AtlAg05
AG
I'm in.

Squat 60
Bench 80
Row 50

Started really light but figured I could bump it up after few of getting use to the routine.

My office gym only has a smith machine, so I'm guessing the bar is 10lb to figure out what I need to add.
hurricanejake02
AG
I'm having trouble staying light since starting over... my head is having a hard time comprehending the fact that I'm lifting half of what I was when I quit doing the program a year ago... but I'm sticking to it.

Day 10
SQ: 5x5 180lbs
OHP: 5x5 65lbs
DL: 1x5 180lbs
Jetpilot86
AG
quote:
I'm having trouble staying light since starting over... my head is having a hard time comprehending the fact that I'm lifting half of what I was when I quit doing the program a year ago... but I'm sticking to it.

Day 10
SQ: 5x5 180lbs
OHP: 5x5 65lbs
DL: 1x5 180lbs
If it is easy AND your form is rock solid, do 10 lb bumps.

I take a lot of breaks due to work travels and do this to work through the deloads faster. Do it until you miss a set or have post workout soreness. Then step back down to 5 lb increases.
aggiespartan
AG
My squat form gets all wonky when it gets heavy. I think it's due to weak hips. Adding in some glute bridges to see if that helps any.
Farmer1906
AG
Started this plan again.

Day 1:
155 BS
65 OHP
155 DL
riverrataggie
AG
Since starting. I have failed three times on squats (315)and overhead press (155) so dropped down. Failed today on row. Couldn't get that last rep.

On exercise 24 in a couple days.

Squat - 245
OP - 135
DL - 315
Bench - 230
Row - 200
10andBOUNCE
AG
Failed on OHP at 120. I hate OHP so much. Everything else is smooth sailing at this point. Started June 6.

SQ - 180
DL - 185
OP - 120
BP - 135
Row- 115
space_treadmill
AG
SQ 205
OHP 125
DL 230

starting to see God on those last squat reps.
aggiespartan
AG
Row 65
squat 65 - haven't gone up in a while because I'm working on form
bench 60 - failed on 3rd set

I don't know about weight gains, but I can tell I'm getting stronger. My arms are getting a little bigger too.
AtlAg05
AG
From Wed

Sq 65
OHP 50
DL 80

I did run into a bit of a problem, smith machine is about an inch too low to complete OHP. I took off my shoes and it's a little better but still not quite there.

It is what it is.
Farmer1906
AG
Why not bend your knees a little more? And I would highly recommend not using a smith machine for this workout program.
AtlAg05
AG
No other option as my office gym does not have free bars.
hurricanejake02
AG
It's not quite as effective, but you could do the a seated OHP if you have clearance issues.
AtlAg05
AG
I'll try bending my knees, but if it doesn't feel comfortable I'll do seated.

Pretty much doing a pseudo 5x5 at this point with the smith machine, but I'll give it a run.
SACR
AG
Do they have dumbbells? You can do OHP with dumbbells.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.