Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,316 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Logged on 10/27/2015: (CHANGE SINCE 9/15/15)

• Bodyweight: 180 lbs (-2 LBS)
  • Back Squat: 325 lbs x 5 (+20 LBS)
  • Deadlift: 385 lbs x 5 (+40 LBS)
  • Bench Press: 285 lbs x 5 (+10 LBS)
  • OH Press: 165 lbs x 5 (+5 LBS)
  • Pendlay Row: 195 lbs x 5 (+15 LBS)

https://symmetricstrength.com/
These are awesome results. I think I need to get back into it.
bam02
AG
So I am almost right at 3 months in.

My last workout numbers were:

Sq: 260 5x5
OHP: 125 5,5,5,5,3 (first failure on any lift)
DL: 270 1x5
Bench: 175 5x5
Row: 145 5x5

I feel like I'm at a plateau with squat and OHP. I haven't failed a squat yet but it just feels like I can't go any heavier. OHP definitely feels like I'm maxed out and I cannot see myself lifting more.
Kind of discouraged and tempted to modify some lifts to Madcow.

Still really enjoy the program but I just haven't really stopped aching from the last few workouts which is new for me. I'm probably just being a mental poon.
bmks270
AG
quote:
So I am almost right at 3 months in.

My last workout numbers were:

Sq: 260 5x5
OHP: 125 5,5,5,5,3 (first failure on any lift)
DL: 270 1x5
Bench: 175 5x5
Row: 145 5x5

I feel like I'm at a plateau with squat and OHP. I haven't failed a squat yet but it just feels like I can't go any heavier. OHP definitely feels like I'm maxed out and I cannot see myself lifting more.
Kind of discouraged and tempted to modify some lifts to Madcow.

Still really enjoy the program but I just haven't really stopped aching from the last few workouts which is new for me. I'm probably just being a mental poon.

Did you start with only the bar?

Just curious what is your height and weight?

My recommendation for the squat and OHP would be to drop the sets from 5 to 3, and up the reps from 5 to 6.... then, instead of increasing the weight, try and increase the reps.

Workout 1,
Workout
Workout 3
Workout 4

And so on...
When you get to doing 3x8, you will be doing 24 total reps, about the same volume as the 5x5 (25 reps). I would keep increasing the reps until you can get 3x10, maybe even 3x12... then increase the weight, and drop the reps back down.

There is a lot of research that indicates doing more than 3 sets has almost no strength benefit, mostly endurance.
bmks270
AG
quote:

Incredibly strong for your weight, how long have you been lifting?
hurricanejake02
AG
The system is designed for you to reach a failure, de-load, and then come back and surpass it before reaching your next failure.

You'll be amazed how much easier it is to push these weight levels after a de-load and working back up to them.

I wouldn't abandon ship yet - like you said, you've just now reached your first failed lift; and the OHP should be your first failure.

As the weights get heavier, the need for watching your hydration levels and your nutrition increase. I knew it on days I hadn't eaten right, or hadn't had enough water - it hurt.
bam02
AG
bmks- I'm 5'9" and probably 170.

I like your idea of dropping to 3 sets and work on getting to more and more reps. Odd thing is for squats my last set is not much tougher than my first.

Jake- that's probably good advice re: hydration and nutrition. I've definitely had more alcohol than I should since the weekend before Thanksgiving. I think I will try to stick with the protocol on failure and de-loads before I switch.

I had read on the Madcow website that a 30 year old who weighs 200 pounds will probably need to switch to Madcow when he hits 300!on squats. He says probably sooner if you weigh less so I thought since I'm 35 and weigh 170 I might be at the switching point.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've read the same thing. Before I hurt my shoulder again (non-lifting related) and got lazy, I was still making steady progress with my squats at 365. (I'm 6'1"/250lbs) My plan was to stick to 5x5 until I had to drop to 3x5, then I'd re-evaluate.

I'd been on the program from Sept. '14 to May '15. I need to adjust my schedule and get back into it.
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
quote:

Incredibly strong for your weight, how long have you been lifting?
I really got into upper body lifting(ignored lower back and legs due to fear of injury) in the summer of 2009. I kept it up really well until I graduated in Dec 2011.

I got out of my routine horribly after graduation from Jan 2011-May2012 due to being in a long distance relationship and lazyness.

From May 2012 on, I have been cycling between really on top of it, and doing nothing, in like 4 month cycles.

I have been on my current routine since March 2015 and haven't missed almost any workouts. This is due to finally buying a squat rack, bench, and barbell/weights.

And my monthly update. It is getting rough, deloading on like everything
Logged on 12/02/2015: (CHANGE SINCE 10/27/15)

• Bodyweight: 176 lbs (-4 LBS)
  • Back Squat: 325 lbs x 5 (+0 LBS) I deloaded after hitting 325 and just now back at it
  • Deadlift: 395 lbs x 2 (+10 LBS but only at 2 reps) Deloading to 355x5 next week
  • Bench Press: 265 lbs x 5 (-20 LBS) deloaded to 245lbs, but now I pause the bar on my chest for a half second on each rep
  • OH Press: 170 lbs x 5 (+5 LBS)
  • Pendlay Row: 205 lbs x 5 (+10 LBS)
AggieChemE09
AG
Well Done!
HawthornAggie
AG
Started this workout today! Figured this would be a good program to bring in the new year. I like how the program starts with lighter weights to really focus on form. Been out of the gym for a while, but am hoping to gain some significant size and strength.
mid90
AG
Started the program again. Had shoulder surgery last April, and this is my first time back under the barbell since then. Feels good. But I've lost pretty much any strength I had, so I'm starting from scratch.

Does anyone else have trouble with the barbell rows? I feel like my form isn't right. I don't feel the burn in the back as I think I should, plus I tend to get some numbness/tingling around my neck....
Jetpilot86
AG
Other than sucking at them, no.

I don't have any issues with pain doing them...
Ezra Brooks
AG
Have only read about the last 4 pages or so of this thread - trying to work my way through it.

Started this program last week based on this thread.

Age - 41
Wt. - 195

It's been a long time since I've lifted anything much, and even then I've never really done barbell lifting.

So, I've started with dumbbells on the lifts until I feel confident in my form/weight to move to the barbell.

Squat - Switched over to the bar on squats on workout #3 at 95 pounds. This is a good weight and I like the way I am feeling.
Bench - have progressed to 35 lb dumbbells and will make the switch to the bar soon
Row - have progressed to 30 lb dumbbells, considering using a curl bar as I progress - thoughts?
OHP - have progressed to 30 lb dumbbells and will make the switch to the bar soon
DL - have progress to 40 lb dumbbells and will make the switch to the bar soon

It's only been 5 sessions and I can already start to feel some changes in my body - really encouraged to keep progressing.
AgEng06
AG
Go ahead and move over to the barbell. At your dumbbell weights, you should easily be able to lift the bar in all the lifts you listed.

Also, go ahead and use the full barbell for rows. There's no reason to make an intermediate step for the curl bar.
bagger05
AG
I agree with AgEng06.

No reason not to move up to the bar on any of your lifts. Sounds like you're ready.
Ezra Brooks
AG
End of week 2.

Moved to the bar away from dumbbells for the press and dead lifts at the recommendation of those here.

No issues with the dead lift other than I need to focus on form - first time ever doing dead lift. Went at 95 lbs and had no issues.

Press - oh my God! I could really tell the difference between using the bar and the dumbbells. Honestly, the two are entirely different lifts. I could really tell that I was working my back with the bar. Started at 55 lbs and can tell that I will plateau the soonest with this lift.

Went 110 with squats and don't feel it as bad thus far as I have in the days before.

I've been doing a lot of research on form/technique to make sure I'm doing these right and have found some really good youtube videos from Mark Rippetoe which have been really helpful....the Starting Strength stuff is really intriguing.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Nice. Overhead press plateaus are the suck. Press on!
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm thinking of starting Stronglifts today at lunch. However I'm not sure what weight to start with. Any tips? I'm a runner, not a weight lifter type.
hurricanejake02
AG
If you're completely new to lifting, start with the bar. It sounds silly, but focus on your form.

If you've done any lifting, you should be able to start with 25s or so on the squat, and you can't get form on a DL without at least a plate on each side. OHP and BOR, definitely start with the bar. Bench is what you feel comfortable with.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thanks. I've been lifting one day per week here and there in between training for races. Usually I do bench, curls, sit ups, etc. I've been doing 3 sets of 10 on the bench with 25's or 35's on each side. I haven't been squatting at all.
hurricanejake02
AG
As you'll see all over this thread, starting with low weights feels silly for the first few weeks, but focus on your form, because the weight can get heavy in a hurry once you get going. If you start too heavy, you run the risk of failing sets before your body has a chance to catch up.
Jetpilot86
AG
Just follow the program. When I had to deload due to layoffs from working out, I would add 10lbs a workout vs 5 if it was easy and there was no soreness after the workouts to catch up to where I was, but even at 5lbs a workout, starting about week 7, it's hard every workout, but I have yet to get sore during the normal progression.

This thread is littered with people who keep trying to beat the program and fail.

Just do the program....
gigemJTH12
AG
can someone link me to the program?
Jetpilot86
AG
www.stronglifts.com bunch of free stuff to start there
gigemJTH12
AG
quote:
www.stronglifts.com bunch of free stuff to start there
thx
bam02
AG
Download the app. It's fantastic.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well I didn't listen to you guys on Monday and squatted with more weight than I should have. I'm not hurt at all, however I'm sore as **** in my quads. I'm supposed to squat today, should I power through the soreness or skip the squat today and do the other stuff?
bagger05
AG
I say get back on schedule with the weight you "should" be doing and suck it up.
Jetpilot86
AG
There's always someone who tries to beat the system

What Bagger said. Workout on the next scheduled day with the proper weight. It will actually help with the soreness.
Jab
AG
I'm thinking of starting this up. Is there any great disadvantage to using a smith machine vs. free weight?
hurricanejake02
AG
In short: yes.

Slightly longer: Unnatural motion, how much does that bar even way?, doesn't engage stabilizer muscles, may have height issue with OHP.
Furlock Bones
AG
smith machine should never be confused with squats. scratch that. smith machine should never be used.
bam02
AG
As stated... There is a HUGE difference between the smith machine and any true barbell exercise. Also as stated, avoid the smith machine.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Completion of Week 3 and really enjoying the program.

A bit disappointed in myself this morning as I somehow looked at Wednesday's workout when loading up my squat and repeated a weight from earlier in the week. Not that big of a deal really, but was bummed when I realized that I hadn't pushed up a new weight.

Rows/OHP are becoming quite difficult all the others are building slowly but with confidence that I can keep going for a while.
Jab
AG
I hear you guys; I won't be using the smith machine for this. I do still think there's a time and place for it as a supplement to free weights, but that's a side discussion for another day. Thanks for the feedback.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.