Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,278 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
TXBowhunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up to 197 on the scale. That makes 20 pounds
since January 1st. Pounds coming slower but i am still growing.
SACR
AG

Bowhunter,

Why not rest and then try DL again?

SACR
AG

BP: 385

Lower back is still sore, so only exercise I did today.

Hoping my back will heal enough to do full workout Wednesday.
TXBowhunter
AG
SACR:
I hear you loud and clear. I stepped away after the 4th rep and fealt like I was done. Pulled the weights off the bar and then thought to myself how bad I wimped out. Should have done just as you said. I will rep them out Friday.
Brock Sampson
AG
For a little perspective for everyone, a lady on the A&M weighlifting team was deadlifting about 335 the other day at the rec. I'm pretty sure she did it 7 times.
SACR
AG

Brock,

Was that the club powerlifting team? If so, I'm happy to see they are still around.
Brock Sampson
AG
quote:

Brock,

Was that the club powerlifting team? If so, I'm happy to see they are still around.

Believe so. I see them in the rec all the time throwing up some serious weight.
TXBowhunter
AG
quote:
For a little perspective for everyone, a lady on the A&M weighlifting team was deadlifting about 335 the other day at the rec. I'm pretty sure she did it 7 times.

Thanks Brock. I'll pick up my purse and move along.
Brock Sampson
AG
As I watched it happen, I put away the 45lb dumbells in shame and walked out
TXBowhunter
AG
http://www.aggiepowerlifting.com/

One of these ladies?
Bocephus
AG
Back in '99 or 2000 I ran into a very petite, very cute female lifter in the power lifting club. She placed second in the world at her weight in the bench press.
irish pete ag06
AG
Rule #1
irish pete ag06
AG
Session 43... motivation level was low for this workout.

Squat 240, 55555
Bench 145, 55555
Row 155, 55544

Got some curls in after just to get a little iso work for fun.
Bocephus
AG
Terrible workout today. Did not get 280 on BP. Went to a different gym and kept having issues with hitting the rack with the bar. Frustrating.

Rows 120
Brock Sampson
AG
I'm out of town for two weeks so I'll be lucky to get a workout or two in. I'll have to do some push-ups
irish pete ag06
AG
Brock. Come workout with me bud. I have a sneaking suspicion you are coming to my town.
SACR
AG

Squat: 275
DL: 305

Did two sets of 5 on DL since I stayed away from OHP. Lower back was still puling a little when I did just the bar, so didn't do any sets of OHP.
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 250 5x5
Bench 190 5x5
Row 185 5x5

My legs have been sore for 2 weeks straight. Anyone else? You think it is because I am hitting new squat weights and that I never did squats at this frequency before?
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes. My legs get randomly sore off and on throughout this whole workout.
Ag12thman
AG
I just got the new Samsung Galaxy, and dropped my iPhone. Can't believe there is no Android app!!!
Brock Sampson
AG
quote:
Brock. Come workout with me bud. I have a sneaking suspicion you are coming to my town.

I'm down brother
Bocephus
AG
OHP 145
TXBowhunter
AG
Squat 255
Ohp 110
Dl 305
Got them all and added some extra. Full of energy and great workout.
TXBowhunter
AG
Ag12thman
They are trying to get a droid app out. I use strong log right now.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yesterday

Squat 245, 55555, feel like I'm stronger, think I'll get back up over 255 when I get there in 2 weeks.

OHP 115, 55555, I was stoked to get these. Last time at 110, I barely got rep 4 and 5 on the last set. I threw these up like the weight was lighter.

Deadlift, 255, 5, this is a deload from 285.

My body weight has been around 190-191 for about 5-6 weeks now. My schedule is about to be way less busy, so I think I'm going to really ramp up the calories soon and see if I can get the muscle gain fired up again.

I am still gaining inches. My arms and chest have both added some size since I last measure around a month ago.
ddub96
AG
Pete,

I am considering starting this program after reading this thread. Couple of quick questions...

1) What was your starting body weight?
2) What cardio are you doing on off days and how frequently?

Thanks for insight.
irish pete ag06
AG
I have a somewhat unique situation. I coach high school football and I lose a lot of weight during the season due to being in the heat, stress, and not eating as often (the busier I get the less I eat).

In early December, once football was over, I started lifting just doing random stuff and I started eating to bulk while doing that with no real plan.

At the end of football season, I weighed around 176-177.

At around Christmas break I was up to around 183ish.

I started stronglifts in January and started a strict diet of 3400 calories a day. I weighed 186.

I had gotten up to 193 two months ago, but I got a stomach virus and I've been hanging steady for about 6-8 weeks around 190-192.

My goal is to ultimately get to 200 pounds by the end of 2013, then I'll start trying to go through a leaning/cut phase.

Soon, I am going to start really bulk eating because I have plateau'ed on a few of the lifts, and it's probably happening because my diet has not been as steady lately as it should be.

I do no cardio.

If you want to gain weight, I highly recommend cutting cardio out because it's just that many more calories you have to ingest to gain. Very simply if you eat more calories than your body needs while doing this workout, you will gain muscle, strength, and of course a little fat. If you eat less than your body needs and do this workout, you will lose fat, but not see as much strength gain.

You kind of need to choose what your ultimate goal is and stick with it. Download myfitnesspal on your phone or some other calorie counter and track what you are eating. It's amazing sometimes how many calories you do or do not ingest in a day. Also, where your calories come from are important too.

I hope I answered your questions.
ddub96
AG
Thanks for the feedback.
Pahdz
Just kicking off week 3 of this. I had to bump up the bench about 45lbs (see previous post) because I was getting absolutely nothing out of it. Everything else I at least still feel like I'm getting a bit of a workout.

How does everyone deadlift? Hands outside of feet or vice versa?

Anyone doing anything else to supplement? On A days, I like to do 3 sets of 8 or so on dips, and on B days I flip back and forth between the same sets/reps on pullups/chinups.

Loving sqautting 3 times a week. Never thought I'd say that. I had really cooled on sqaut workouts in the past few months, after tweaking my back doing sets of 5 with 225 a while ago. I feel like this is getting my confidence back and my body adjusted to sqautting again.
Brock Sampson
AG
I do Arnold press on A days and dumbbell bench or rows on B day.
Bocephus
AG
250 BP on De-load
125 row
SACR
AG

Pahdz,

squat, squatting, u goes before the a
Pahdz
Haha, wow, must have been in a hurry on my mobile device.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yesterday's workout

Sqaut, 250, 55555
Bench 150, 55555
Row 155, 55443 (I'll deload here).

Had mid set soreness hit in my left quad on set 3 of squat again. I'll have to foam roll it out.
irish pete ag06
AG
My left quad is still sore and I had a day at work where I exerted a ton of energy, so I'm moving my workout back to Thursday and Saturday to finish the week.

My squat will be at the weight I failed at last time and I don't want to have any excuses for not getting it.

I am going to get it this time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.