Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,393 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back from the field...been two weeks since I lifted but I'm just going to continue from where I left off.
bhanacik
AG
8/19

Session 7
squats - 150 5x5
bench - 95 5x5
barbell row - 80 5x5
Wrighty
AG
Are any of the originals still going? IrishPete, bowhunter, sacr etc? Seems like they quit.
newhowdyag2004
So today I again failed on bench with 250lbs, but it was close. Got 5x5x5x5x4 (literally couldn't move that last rep). But, I will give it one last shot on Thursday.

How much time inbetween sets do y'all take when you're going heavy? I was taking 5-6 minutes partially due to my lifting partner. No way I could have done what I did with only 3 mins rest.

Assuming I get 250lbs, I am certain I won't be able to get 255lbs in 2-3 tries. So if I don't then reduce to 240lbs and start from there?
Bobbyboy04
AG
I take as long as I need to recover. For benching heavy that's maybe 2-4 minutes. For squatting it could be up to 5-8 minutes.

You might be able to hit 255 your next workout, everyone has good and bad days. Keep on the linear progression and once you stall reset. Reducing the weight by 10% (or whatever) and working back up should work fine.
newhowdyag2004
I'll go with 5% because I just can't see how going down to an easy weight like 225lbs would help.
TheMasterplan
It's the build-up dude.

Working out was fantastic. Out to the field again tomorrow for three weeks. Camp has a squat rack. Gonna just workout every other day.

MW03
AG
Took 2 weeks off following wrenching my back during deadlifts, and I'm bout to start back up. I'm probably going to skip the deadlifts for the time being out of an abundance of caution.

Any suggestions on substitute exercises for deadlifts?
boboguitar
AG
Workout 13(A)

Squat 105- 55555
Bench 160-55555
BOR 95- 55555
21(curl) 60- 21 21 21
newhowdyag2004
Squats 5x5 250lbs
DL 5x5 295lbs
Pahdz
got my cast off today from my broken leg, and was told no squats until after Thanksgiving
AgEng06
AG
Workout 24(B) - 8/21

Squat: 210 - 53, 185 - 555
DL: 245 - 5
OHP: 110 - 55555
Row (90%): 125 - 55555
CGBP: 135 - 55555
Curl: 85 - 87, 65 - 8

For the first time doing squats I had to set it down on the pins. I'm chalking it up to a week layoff and still trying to increase weight. I dropped to 185 and finished off my sets. Had to decrease Curls the same way.

[This message has been edited by AgEng06 (edited 8/21/2013 10:40p).]
MW03
AG
First time back on the rack this morning for workout 15(A)

Squat 195 - 55555 (no trouble, but felt heavy)
BP 125 - 55555 (last set felt really heavy in my left shoulder)
Row 100 - 55555 (felt pretty easy, but my quads were BURNING)

Ran out of time for pull ups and abs because I was taking my time to watch my form this time around (and i had trouble dragging my lazy ass out of bed).

Still, based on my HRM, I was about 45 minutes and 650 Kcal.

Definitely lost a bit of strength in the bench after the layoff, but overall very happy. Still need a DL sub for workout B since I'm not ready to test the back.
boboguitar
AG
Going for my body weight at bench today for 5x5. It's been 1.5 months since I started this program.
newhowdyag2004
I was reminded of the proper bench form by a raw powerlifter yesterday and it actually hurt me by 5-10 lbs trying to retrain my body for the proper form. I'm sure once I get it down I'll make better gains than before.
Sooner Born
So I can't do much in the way of squats or leg intensive exercises yet (still rehabbing an ACL reconstruction). Would it be a big deal if I just did the Bench and Overhead press until I was released to do leg stuff?
AgEng06
AG
I need to update from a few workouts ago. I have also switched to 3x5 on most of the exercises.

Workout 25(A) - 8/23

Squat: 210 - 55555
Bench: 175 - 555
Row: 145 - 55555
Shrugs: 245 - 888

Workout 26(B) - 8/28

Squat: 215 - 555
DL: 255 - 5
OHP: 115 - 555
Row (90%): 130 - 555
CGBP: 140 - 888
Curl: 85 - 888
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Just started the program on Sunday. I haven't done weights since I was in middle school (!) so I started from the minimum weights. I feel pretty silly squatting and benching 50 lbs next to the bros at my gym, but it also feels good to see the progression and know that hopefully I'll be there soon enough.

8/25 1(a)
Squat - 50 lb
Bench - 50 lb
BB Row - 50 lb

8/27 2(b)
Squat - 55 lb
Overhead Press - 50 lb
Deadlift - 95 lb

8/29 3(a)
Squat - 60 lb
Bench - 55 lb
BB Row - 55 lb

Problem with me is that I embarrassingly, and quite literally, know NOTHING about lifting. I've been doing my squats, overhead press, and deadlift on the machine. I think Mehdi recommends using free weights all the time?
BBDP
AG
quote:
I've been doing my squats, overhead press, and deadlift on the machine. I think Mehdi recommends using free weights all the time?

What machine? Smith?
Watch his videos and other videos on how to do those movements with free weights.
Use free weights.

[This message has been edited by BBDP (edited 8/30/2013 12:01p).]
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Free motion I guess.

Squats on this:

Deadlift:

Overhead press:
AgEng06
AG
Yeah man, those machines aren't giving you near the benefit you could be getting. I'd do whatever you need to in order to do the exercises with free weights.
OaklandAg06
AG
What are y'all's thoughts on swapping the rows out with power cleans? I am thinking about adding 5x5 to my training but I want to work more towards Olympic lifting
OaklandAg06
AG

[This message has been edited by Oaklandag06 (edited 8/30/2013 2:46p).]
Wrighty
AG
Mbole, use free weights. No one in the gym cares about your form.

Before starting the program 1 month ago, i had never done deadlift, squat, overhead press, or rows, other than some messing around in the gym during high school soccer. Just watch the EliteFTS videos on youtube about the lifts, and i would start using free weights at the minimum weights/bar.

I have done through workout 11 so far.
Bench 90 lb. (going to increase by 10 lb per session for a couple times, still easy)
Squat 95 lb (started with bar)
OHP 65 lb (started with bar)
Rows 90 lb
Deadlift 135 lb

Going great so far.
newhowdyag2004
So I am stuck on 250lbs on bench. I had three failed attempts (best was 5x5x5x5x4) and went down to 240lbs. 240 and 245 are relatively easy, but I tried 250 again today and got 5x5x5x4x3. Should I try 3x3 or something like that for a while to get used to heavier weight and then get back on 250?

Plus side, got 7 reps with 225 after those five sets which made me happy.
Max06
AG
Anyone added pullups, pushups, core, etc. to their 5x5?

I've been doing 5x5 for a few weeks now and am not getting the workout that I'd like. As a typical girl (and runner), upper body is lacking far more than lower body so I'm thinking of adding some additional upper body work.
aggswagg13
AG
Glad I found this. I'll be starting this program today.

Pahdz
Gonna see if after I get my walking boot off this friday if my doc will clear me on the squats/deadlifts portion starting with the bar. Originally was told. To not think about it till after thanksgiving
dmart90
AG
I am enjoying this work out so far. Almost done with week 5, but it's taken me about 8 or 9 weeks to get there - I've missed a few weeks due to travel for work.

My question is this:

if you are away from your gym and all you have is the hotel "fitness room" what do you do to stay on track?
Max06
AG
^ I'm dealing with this right now.

My current hotel has a cable machine, so I'm using it to do a variation of OHP, rows & bench, weighted lunges instead of squats, SOL for deadlifts. They have some 8# medicine balls so I've been doing 5 sets of 20 squats as well.
Hoosegow
Go to a gym. Pay the day pass fee.
newhowdyag2004
I tried a different approach on my bench since I've been stuck on 250lbs. Going down and working back up hasn't helped so today I did 4x4x4x3 with 255lbs (would have tried a 5th set but no partner today and I was tired of asking people). I figure if I get my chest used to a heavier weight, then 250 should be easier to accomplish.
Hoosegow
This will probably put 15-20 lbs on your bench newhowdy. Do this for six weeks as an excessory.

5 sets of 7-10 floor dumbell presses with a pause at the bottom. Work on speed.
TheMasterplan
Been away from the gym for a week (days off) but did about 3 straight weeks of stronglifts and my back/traps/shoulders are getting pretty big in comparison to where I was. Abs are coming out too. Really enjoy this workout though.

Gonna lift tomorrow then I'm taking 1.5 weeks off then I'll be back at it again.

I don't live a regimented work schedule/life so the gains I want to see will probably take a bit longer than most.

And I switched to high bar squats to reduce lower back pain and get the best form possible.

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 9/15/2013 6:41p).]

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 9/15/2013 6:44p).]
Sooner Born
quote:
Go to a gym. Pay the day pass fee.

Depending on how much and how varied your travel is, that isn't always an option given that many gyms are about $20 for a day pass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.