Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,306 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

I have now tried 270 twice and failed. I believe you keep trying until you get it then move up.

Shouldn't you de-load then try again?

Which means on your next bench day, take off 10% and then restart the progression. You should bench 245 and then add 5lbs of weight every workout like normal. That's what he has said in his initial info at least.
Brother Mouzone
AG
Oh. I didn't catch that. Thanks.
03_Aggie
I am wondering if the app tracks that or if you have to manually adjust the weight. I know it auto calcs up when you enter in all 5s.
Brother Mouzone
AG
Manually adjust
BBDP
AG
I am doing this again (modified). Been on it for about 8 weeks.
I ruptured a disc (around the L4) last summer.
I do squats twice per week (Monday and Friday), I do rows on one of these:

I don't do dead lifts (yet).

Making good progress. OHP is 95, Bench is 195, Squats are 195, rows are 90.

AgEng06
AG
Workout 19(A) - 7/31

Squat: 185 - 55555
Bench: 160 - 55555
Row: 130 - 55555
Shrugs: 215 - 888
Skull Crushers: 75 - 888
TheMasterplan
Can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow work out #3
AgEng06
AG
Workout 20(B) - 8/4

Squat: 190 - 55555
DL: 225 - 5
OHP: 105 - 55555
Row (90%): 120 - 55555
CGBP: 125 - 888
Curl: 85 - 887
MW03
AG
Jacked my lower back on DL yesterday. Was all consumed with form during the lift, and just totally lost concentration during the lowering. Then, like and idiot, gutted out the last rep. Brutal.
Brother Mouzone
AG
My back is fugged up from this program
Max06
AG
The number of back issues really concerns me with this program. I have L4/L5 disc issues already, dont really want to exacerbate it.

Any know of chicks using 5x5? What weights did they start with? How much weekly increases? I cant imagine that women could progress nearly as fast as men.
Brother Mouzone
AG
If you have back issues don't try it
MW03
AG
To be honest, it was all my fault. I wasn't focused on my form on the way down. If I had been on point, I wouldn't have hurt myself. That being said, its going to be a while before I can get back after it.
TheMasterplan
Gotta focus on form 100%.

Having to go out to the field on Wednesday for about a week. Worked out today but gonna knock another one out tomorrow. I hate not having access to a gym...oh well part of the job.

I'm really trying to nail my squat form. My glutes are sore from doing deadlifts...probably means I'm doing it right.

[This message has been edited by TheMasterplan (edited 8/5/2013 6:41a).]
Bobbyboy04
AG
People with prexisting back pain are the most at risk for injuring their backs. Funny how the #1 indicator for future back problems is existing back pain.

Work on your core, make sure your form is flawless.
03_Aggie
I have lower back issues and have had little problems doing the program that haven't been caused by poor form. Any program that incorporates squats and deadlifts into it is going to pose the same risk for me.

After gutting through lifts only to find myself sidelined for an extended period, I have finally learned to take it easy when my back doesn't feel quite right.

Just this morning my squat was supposed to be 300. I felt some discomfort when warming up so I decided dropping to 225 and still getting the workout in was better than trying to push the issue with 300 and risk slipping a disk and being sidelined for a month or two.
bhanacik
AG
Workout 2 - 8/7

Squat: 130 - 55555
OHP: 45 - 55555
DL: 90 - 5
AgEng06
AG
Workout 21(A) - 8/7

Squat: 195 - 55555
Bench: 165 - 55555
Row: 135 - 55555
Shrugs: 225 - 888
Skull Crushers: 80 - 87_
AgEng06
AG
Workout 22(B) - 8/9

Squat: 200 - 55555
DL: 235 - 5
OHP: 110 - 55554

My OHP lift today was the first time I have stalled on any of the major lifts, but it was due to my arm pain flaring back up. I'm going to lay off for a few days and get back to it. Squat and DL are getting heavy, but still feel good.
boboguitar
AG
Workout 9(A)

Squat 85- 55555
Bench 160- 55555
Barbell row 85- 55555
21(curl exercise): 60 - 21 21 21

Still easy and only my 3rd week.

[This message has been edited by boboguitar (edited 8/9/2013 9:32p).]
Brother Mouzone
AG
85 LB squat
Wrighty
AG
If you think an 85lb squat looks silly, you should have seen me rocking the 45 lb bench press on workout #1.

It's the program. Swallow your ego, nail the form down, and within 12 weeks you'll be at respectable weight and strength hopefully.

I just started this program, looking forward to it.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
85 LB squat

I started it off at 45 lbs. 1. I haven't squat since I played football 9 years ago. 2. I run 6 days a week and am at the end of base training for marathon season, I'm not trying to overdue it on squats.

I write this as I'm waiting on my cross country team, we are going on a little 14 mile run through the woods.

[This message has been edited by boboguitar (edited 8/10/2013 5:24a).]
boboguitar
AG
quote:
If you think an 85lb squat looks silly, you should have seen me rocking the 45 lb bench press on workout #1.

It's the program. Swallow your ego, nail the form down, and within 12 weeks you'll be at respectable weight and strength hopefully.

I just started this program, looking forward to it.

Good luck.
Max06
AG
Starting it on Monday. Im interested to see how it goes for me being a chick and all. No way I can add as much weight as the boys.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
Starting it on Monday. Im interested to see how it goes for me being a chick and all. No way I can add as much weight as the boys.

My fiancé does it. The only difference is you'll deload more because you'll put on muscle slower as a girl.
TheMasterplan
Havent worked out since Tuesday...got sent out to the field on Thursday and there are no weights/gym out here in the boonies unfortunately. Hopefully I get back to the city this week and then I go back out to the field next week. That camp has a power rack which will be awesome.

Sucks because I was already seeing progress even after five freaking workouts.
AgEng06
AG
Workout 23(A) - 8/14

Squat: 205 - 55555
Bench: 170 - 55555
Row: 140 - 55555
Shrugs: 235 - 888

Wrighty
AG
Workout 4(B):
Squat 60 lb
OHP 50 lb
Deadlift 105 lb

Pretty easy so far, but I don't think it will be long before it gets hard.

Form is my biggest issue. On squat, I struggle to get to parallel, due to flexibility/balance. I am tall, and I have stiff ankles I think. To squat "ass to grass", I have to just about fall over backwards. Hopefully, as the weight increases, it makes it easier to get low.

On deadlift, the proper technique does not come naturally. I have to very consciously make the movements, and even then its not perfect. I feel confident this will improve over time.
Bobbyboy04
AG
Two things helped immensely with my squat form - third world squats and Mobility WOD's hip opener stretch.
Third World Squat

Mobility WOD Hip Opener
boboguitar
AG
Workout 11(A)

Squat 95- 55555
Bench 155- 55555
BB Row- 90 55555
21(curl)- 21-21-21

8 mile run @7:35 average pace(what great weather we had) this morning.
newhowdyag2004
I'm not exactly following the program. I'm doing bench/squats/deads twice a week and OHP/rows once a week. I've combined my regular workout with 5x5 and just start the workout with my 5x5's and then do some iso.

Today I had my first stall. On bench did 5x5x4x4x3 with 250lbs. I'll be trying again on Monday.
KyleJ2012
AG
Just saw this yesterday, figured I'd give it a try.

1(a)
Squat - 215 - 55555
Bench 195 - 55555
Bent over row - 120 - 55555

Struggled a little with the form on the BORs
Wrighty
AG
Bobbyboy04, that "3rd world squat" link is interesting.

I currently have the definition of a 1st world squat, I'll have to work on flexibility.
bhanacik
AG
3rd world squat was interesting

I'm always amazed by the squatting form of my 2 year old when she picks something up off the floor - it's flawless.

I was surprised that I could get into the 3rd world squat very easy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.