Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,360 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
jks08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GOMAD = gallon of milk a day. much better to just eat more food, in my opinion
txaggie_08
AG
vansprinkle and I finished session 6 yesterday. Right now we're at:

Squats 175lbs
OH Press 105 lbs
Deadlift 175 lbs
Bench 160 lbs
Barbell Row 105 lbs

We upped the weights in the second and third days because it just seemed too light for where we were starting. Glad we did. Still able to do everything, but it's adding a little more challenge to it.
txaggie_08
AG
No way I'm going to try to down a gallon of milk a day. I hear that bulks you up, but if you want that, I don't see why just eating more of a better diet won't get you the same.
TXBowhunter
AG
Google it. Stronglifts has an article about GOMAD.

Some other people complain about side effects from this much milk. Others have massive gains such as 25 pounds in 25 days. However, not all this weight will be muscle.

I would be interested in hearing from anyones personal experiences though.

txaggie_08
AG
Yeah, I've heard about it on here. Just don't want to try it myself. Also not really looking to bulk up like that. I like where my weight currently is. Just looking to get stronger (which will probably add a little weight as it is).
irish pete ag06
AG
Yeah, I read up on it. I'm trying to clean bulk, so GOMAD is out of the equation.

I'm already at ~20% body fat.
vansprinkle
AG
As 08 said, we did 175 squat, 105 OH press, and 175 dead lift yesterday. I followed that up with trying to swim 400m and was dying in the pool. The workouts are definitely getting a little tougher.

I think if I would have biked or ran it wouldn't have been so bad, but swimming is a full body exercise and my arms and legs were dead after the weights and 200m in the pool. Felt absolutely exhausted but amazing afterwards though. Today is an off day, so I'll knock out a 5-10k run for cardio.
nu awlins ag
AG
quote:
I would be interested in hearing from anyones personal experiences though.

It works. Coach Clark put me on this and I went from 150 or to 215 in 12-15 months. I drank whole milk. Today I drink 2% and if I really want to add some weight, I'll do this for 4-6 weeks. At 43 I weigh 206 and have around 18% body fat.

Brock Sampson
AG
I'm a big fan of milk, but a gallon a day would be tough.
aggiegolfer03
AG
These programs are built for poosies to get strong...you gotta eat big to grow big...

The gallon of WHOLE milk is to ensure you don't **** up the diet by eating like a poosey.

So many people won't eat enough when trying to grow. 4-6K calories a day shouldn't be a scary number to those really needing/wanting to grow (especially 15-24 y/o's).

[This message has been edited by Aggiegolfer03 (edited 2/5/2013 3:43p).]
irish pete ag06
AG
I definitely may up my intake of milk a little. But there's no way I'm doing a gallon a day. Plus I would get obese.

[This message has been edited by Irish Pete ag06 (edited 2/5/2013 6:48p).]
AboveAndBeyond
I'm lacto.
Bottlerocket
AG
This is interesting and I'm going to give it a shot. I did Session 1 last night and I really need to up the weight a bit because I was done in 15 minutes.

Is this something that can used long-term? Seems like the program is hitting major muscle groups but leaving a lot off the table (tris, various pec exercises (fly, for example), legs and bis)? Do people just add other isolated exercises on top of this program?
aggiegolfer03
AG
quote:
Seems like the program is hitting major muscle groups but leaving a lot off the table

TXBowhunter
AG
BottleRocket. go to stronglifts.com and download the manual and spreadsheet.

Workout A for me in an hour or so.
AboveAndBeyond
Theres 15 minutes of rest time in there.....
Bottlerocket
AG
golfer - expound on that for me.
txaggie05
AG
I think he's saying all of the movements in Stronglifts are compound movements and hit several muscle groups, so there's no reason to stack isolation exercises on top of them because the isolation exercises wont add a whole lot and basically be a waste of time
Bottlerocket
AG
got it. thanks txaggie
irish pete ag06
AG
I hope everyone is ok with me using this spread as my personal workout log.

Squat 5x5 @ 140
OHP 5x5 @ 65
Deadlift 1x5 @ 165 after 2 warmup sets

Anyone a member of Mehdi's website? How is that?
bam02
AG
I'm glad you are keeping it at the top. I think it's a great program and I think your thread has gotten at least a few people going in it.
AboveAndBeyond
Got me into it.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I am getting frustrated because the deloads haven't really helped me. I am getting stuck on overhead press.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jks08
AG
quote:
I am getting frustrated because the deloads haven't really helped me. I am getting stuck on overhead press.

how long have you been on the program? edit: nvm just saw you said 9 months

are you still gaining weight?

[This message has been edited by jks08 (edited 2/7/2013 9:45a).]
Dr T and the Women
AG
Not gaining weight. Not really my goal anyway. I am 6 ft 180 which is comfortable for my frame
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bam02
AG
Dr,

No advice here, but shoulder presses ALWAYS seem to stall out pre-maturely. It's very frustrating for me, too.
yeahtoast
AG
I've always puttered around the gym doing loosely managed workouts, so I started the SS program after this thread.

The de-load has been a PITA, as I had the opposite workout from most people. I regularly squat ATG ~275, as my favorite exercise. I deadlift about the same semi-regularly and hardly EVER bench. The deload on legs is making me feel like a weakling, but the increase on OHP, bench and, to a lesser extent, rows has really given me structure.

I also swim every morning (weights in afternoon), log runs or rides on the weekends, and hit an ab class 2 or 3 days a week after weights.

Now, if only I could tighten up my diet on the weekends (beer x infinity) I'd be seeing some awesome gains.
TXBowhunter
AG
Dr.
Have you thought about either deloading more than the 10% or moving to the SL 3x5? After nine months are you stalling on anything else?

Also, at this stage how long are your workouts taking? Since I just started this program I am flying through them.
Dr T and the Women
AG
OP and bench are the 2 that I am stalling on. I have long arms and some shoulder impingement problems. I am already down to 3x5 on the OP.
TXBowhunter
AG
you and I have the same measurables. At 41 years old I also have a shoulder that can give me troubles and worry about hitting the same issues as you are.

One more question. Does the program hit your core like it says it will? Sure does seem strange to not do any core work.
irish pete ag06
AG
Heavy squats engage your core quite a bit. Deadlift engages the lower back. I'd say OHP engages your core also.

There is not isolated core work, but that is the point of the workout. It eliminates any ISO work to build strength. Once strength is acquired, then ISO work can build bigger size.

I agree that the root to getting big is strength, not the other way around. That's why most of your best known body builders started off as power lifters.
tamu2009
AG
Ok. Y'all got me interested. I'm starting Monday instead of wandering aimlessly from excercise to excercise.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
Ok. Y'all got me interested. I'm starting Monday instead of wandering aimlessly from excercise to excercise.

Biggest reason I started it. Structure.

Workout 9

Squat 5x5 @ 145
Bench 5x5 @ 95
Row 5x5 @ 85

I was in a hurry this morning. I only took 30 seconds rest between sets. Boy, that made it a little more interesting.
tamu2009
AG
Workout 1

Squat 5x5 55lbs stupid easy
Bench 5x5 55lbs stupid easy
Row 5x5 45 lbs easy but felt like work
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 10

Squat 5x5 @ 150
OHP 5x5 @ 70
Dead lift 5x5 @ 175

Legs are feeling worked now even though I don't struggle to get through the workout.

I have gained 4 pounds since I weighed in back in early January. I noticed a pair of blue jeans I have we're fitting much tighter on my thighs than they ever have. It's nice to see subtle results!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.