Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,345 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
AboveAndBeyond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slurm
After seeing this thread and reading the 'report' from the stronglifts website I've decided to give this a try. One other thing I want to get stronger in is pullups - what are yalls thoughts to adding cable pulldowns to one of the workouts?
txaggie_08
AG
My brother and I have added pullups to the days that we do squat, bench, barbell rows. It works well.

We did Session 8 yesterday:

Squat 185
OH Press 110
Deadlift 185 (2 sets of 5)
TXBowhunter
AG
Workout 7
Squat 125
Bench 100
B Row 95 Jumped up weight. I hate the 10 pound powerlifting plates
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Just started week 4 - loving it so far. Definitely echo the iPhone app recommendations. That makes the whole thing dummy proof.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 11

Squat 5x5 @155
Bench 5x5 @100
Row 5x5 @90

Today was one of the first days I wasn't really feeling it... I was really tired (a little sleep deprived). My knee was aching also throughout the day. I've never had knee problems or anything, but it didn't ever hurt. Just slightly achey.
austinAG78748
is their an andriod app

[This message has been edited by austinAG78748 (edited 2/13/2013 9:12p).]
irish pete ag06
AG
yes, there is an android app.
TXBowhunter
AG
The one I use is Strong Log for my Galaxy S II. Works well. I add my workouts a week or two in advance so I am never rushing to calculate my next lift. If you stall or miss (no excuses) a workout you can always modify.
TXBowhunter
AG
Irish. I ran across a youtube series called "so you think you can squat". This is all about form and a great learning tool or refreasher. I am on a company computer so I cannot link the video right now but it is made by a group called EliteFTS I think. The guy doing the tutorial is a world record squater at 1100lbs.

If you can not find it let me know. You may be off on form in one or two areas and the video could help.

HUEY04
AG
The "so you think you can squat" and "so you think you can bench" vids by elitefts are good tutorials on powerlifting style lifting. IMO the best way to learn to squat correctly is to start doing box squats on a box that allows your waist line to get just below the knee.
txaggie_08
AG
Hit session 10 today. Overhead Press is getting pretty difficult. I couldn't quite get the 5th rep of the 5th set all the way up, so I took a break for a second and then pushed out three more to make up for it.

Squats at 195
OH Press at 115
Deadlift at 195
tamu2009
AG
Session 3

Squat at 95
Bench at 85
Row at 55

Took big jumps in squat and bench because I felt the weight was entirely too light. Felt like I did some work today.
TXBowhunter
AG
S 135
Bench 105
Row 95
irish pete ag06
AG
Squat 160
Ohp 75
Deadlift 185

Knee doesn't hurt while squatting... Only after. It's not debilitating or even painful. Just a light ache. Nothing major. I think it's actually better since last workout.
Bottlerocket
AG
Im really liking this and thanks for sharing it OP. Like others have posted, I need structure. Trying to create my workouts and track with spreadsheets wasn't working for me. i was wasting too much time on isolated muscles. I'm starting to get some weight on the bars and the workouts are feeling like a workout; the first few we're too light. I'm gonna stick with this and hopefully get good results.
irish pete ag06
AG
Knee pain is completely gone. Thanks for that video above. I picked up a couple of technique points that helped me. The main one was to push the knees wide on the way down and back up. Such a small thing but I think it reduced the stress on the knee.
Kramer
AG
If my shoulder gets cleared, I'm starting this on Wednesday.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
If my shoulder gets cleared, I'm starting this on Wednesday.

Looking forward to you joining us.
yeahtoast
AG
Workout #6 yesterday.

Squat: 205
OHP: 65
Dead: 225

Also realized that the deadlift is only a 1x5, no wonder I could never close out 5 sets.
Kramer
AG
I have some questions:

1. Inverted rows - do you do these or the barbell rows? If these, do you use a backpack to add weight (first workout is +44lbs).

2. Reverse Crunch - Again, how do you add weight? And on the spreadsheet, the weight goes DOWN from 44lbs initially. WTH?
Dr T and the Women
AG
Kramer,

where are you seeing those? not part of 5x5
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kramer
AG
It's on the 5x5 site. I downloaded the spreadsheet and ebook.
txaggie_08
AG
kramer, I don't know that to be a part of the Stronglifts routine. We sure haven't done that.

Should just be squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench, barbell row.
Dr T and the Women
AG
It might be a different workout after you progress. Make sure you downloaded the info for Stronglifts 5x5
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kramer
AG
Spreadsheet: www.craftkammer.com/would-content/uploads/2011/01/stronglifts-5x5.xls

Some of those exercises have been replaced per the ebook.

Ebook: www.lundswingtsun.se/pdfwce/stronglifts5x5.pdf
TXBowhunter
AG
What the hell. Have we been doing the oldest version? This pdf has multiple additional excersises. It also says another version was prior to this new one.
irish pete ag06
AG
TXbowhunter,

The stronglifts website still says the workout is just the 5 main barbell compound lifts.

The website that has all the auxiliary lifts is something different.

btw

Squat 165
Bench 105
Row 95

Still light, but feels like a workout.
Diggity
AG
Yeah...it looks like someone adjusted the workout on their own
AboveAndBeyond
There are a few different versions. BodyBuilding.com has an Ice Cream (?) version. They add in some stuff for mini muscles like Traps and such.
Diggity
AG
It's just strange that the guy rewrites the ebook and doesn't make it clear that he's a different author.
yeahtoast
AG
Squat: 225
OHP: 75
Dead: 245

Also, added cleans @ 115 and thought I was going to vomit after the fifth set. Great workout, but I still have the chest/arm strength of a 3 year old.
tamu2009
AG
Workout 5:

Squats 135
Bench 95
Row 65

Finally felt really challenged on squats, moderately on bench, and still trying to get the technique down for rows.
TXBowhunter
AG
Workout 11
S 145
BP 115
BR 100

I admit that I am already feeling the squats. Proper form will put you in check.

In regards to the other ebook, I flipped through it again. It must have come from the member site. They even have Mehdi at the end. I think it is someone’s advance version. I plan on adding 2 or 3 exercises AFTER at least 12 weeks SL 5x5.
irish pete ag06
AG
Workout 14

Squat 170
OHP 80
Deadlift 195

I feel so much stronger than 31 days ago. Love this workout. Hope I have another 31 days of increases.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.