*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,741 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
just leaving this here

https://shirt.woot.com/plus/mando-palooza?ref=w_cnt_wp_1
bobinator
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The irony is that these last 2 episodes are what we all assumed the show would be before it came out, but the first 3 made us expect huge payoffs every time out.

I don't expect huge payoffs, but the first three episodes seemed to create "where did this baby come from and what happens to it now" as the most important question in the show and the last two episodes have made the baby seem more like an inconvenience to the show than it's central point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Until I see how the season plays out, I can't think of the last 2 episodes as not moving the plot forward. By taking out the big-time assassin, Mando might have woken up a much nastier enemy. By helping those people out in the village, he might have earned a favor that he can cash in somewhere down the line.

Things that seem random sometimes end up being part of the longer arc that we can't see until the end.
amercer
AG
Plus, from the Mando's point of view isn't baby Yoda just an inconvenience? I mean, he's decided the right thing to do is protect the baby somehow, but (unlike us) he's got no clue why the baby might be a big deal.

It's not like the x-files where every week they saw crazy alien stuff but still ended up skeptical in time for the next episode. He's seen the force used once and didn't know what it was.
Madmarttigan
AG
I get there are complaints about the filler, but doesn't he kind of have to go in hiding and constantly be on the run from people now? It is the logical next step in the story. He isn't about to go john wick every bounty hunter and the empire remnants across the whole galaxy.
AliasMan02
AG
bobinator said:

MuckRaker96 said:

The irony is that these last 2 episodes are what we all assumed the show would be before it came out, but the first 3 made us expect huge payoffs every time out.

I don't expect huge payoffs, but the first three episodes seemed to create "where did this baby come from and what happens to it now" as the most important question in the show and the last two episodes have made the baby seem more like an inconvenience to the show than it's central point.

The ramp up here is pretty deliberate in building to a few things even in the standalone episodes.

- They haven't introduced the Big Bad yet
- They have teased but not gone into Mando's Clone Wars origin
- Hasn't removed his helmet
- Haven't given the Purge backstory
- Obviously the secret of Baby Yoda

Mando has made a number of allies and one really big enemy still in the shadows and is now on the run, about to be confronted with some combination of an ex-Imperial warlord and the Guild. I doubt we answer all of the above mysteries, but if the series follows suite, things will pull together using the unanswered questions and some of his recent adventures as the foundation.

Last episode was a lot of fanservice for sure, but checking in on known locations like Tatooine to see how it's faring is an important part of the worldbuilding. We KNOW what Tatooine was like during the Empire, so seeing the same locations after the fall (and Jabba's death) makes it clear how things have changed. This has for better or worse been part of the bedrock of the lore across all of the media, especially Tatooine. All three prequel episodes, RotJ, novels, comics, and classics like KotR visited Tatooine.

It's the only old location we've seen so I think it's fine. If every week was another trip to Endor and Mustafar and Hoth, it would be a bigger dig.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's less that it's "filler" and more that it's "filler without a goal." Reposting what I said yesterday...

Quote:

Baby Yoda has been reduced to nothing more than a literal reminder that there's a larger story at play, but a larger story that keeps having to be stuffed in the closet or sidelined for no apparent reason. For two episodes now there hasn't been any real goal or plan. Mando is just kind of wondering from planet to planet with a baby. By the end of episode three - when he decided to save the baby - there should have been some kind of goal or ultimate destination established. If he gets the baby to [X], the baby will be safe. And the next few episodes should have made it a huge challenge for him and the baby to get to [X]. Then the planet hopping wouldn't seem so aimless, and the "monster of the week" wouldn't feel so forced.

In other words, if, say, toward the end of episode three, a character had told Mondo of a place where he knew Baby Yoda would be safe, where his abilities could be cultivated, etc, and THEN we had these past two episodes, I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed. If Mando was trying to get to a bigger destination across the galaxy, but on the way there, circumstances forced him on the farming planet, and then to Tatooine, I'd be totally on board (for the most part, as I still had more minor issues with each episode). But right now, instead, it just feels so aimless.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Precisely.
Duncan Idaho
Is there really any confusion that thus team was confident enough in their abilities to know that this would get picked up for multiple seasons and that they would be able to spend this season focused on world building and universe expansion while having enough fan service to keep everyone happy.

Basically I dont think they created a season of 8 episodes but a story with X chapters which will be released 8 at a time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
amercer said:

Plus, from the Mando's point of view isn't baby Yoda just an inconvenience? I mean, he's decided the right thing to do is protect the baby somehow, but (unlike us) he's got no clue why the baby might be a big deal.

It's not like the x-files where every week they saw crazy alien stuff but still ended up skeptical in time for the next episode. He's seen the force used once and didn't know what it was.

The baby using the force to save his life was an indication to him that it is something special. Beyond what they were going to put the thing through, the fact he's saving something special is part of it too.
bobinator
AG
We'll see what happens but I already wonder if these episodes wouldn't feel so aimless if we could watch the whole season at once.
bobinator
AG
From Mando's perspective the baby is definitely an inconvenience, but I meant more like from a show creator standpoint. The baby was so inconvenient in this episode that they chose to LEAVE IT WITH A TOTAL STRANGER.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

I think it's less that it's "filler" and more that it's "filler without a goal." Reposting what I said yesterday...

Quote:

Baby Yoda has been reduced to nothing more than a literal reminder that there's a larger story at play, but a larger story that keeps having to be stuffed in the closet or sidelined for no apparent reason. For two episodes now there hasn't been any real goal or plan. Mando is just kind of wondering from planet to planet with a baby. By the end of episode three - when he decided to save the baby - there should have been some kind of goal or ultimate destination established. If he gets the baby to [X], the baby will be safe. And the next few episodes should have made it a huge challenge for him and the baby to get to [X]. Then the planet hopping wouldn't seem so aimless, and the "monster of the week" wouldn't feel so forced.

In other words, if, say, toward the end of episode three, a character had told Mondo of a place where he knew Baby Yoda would be safe, where his abilities could be cultivated, etc, and THEN we had these past two episodes, I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed. If Mando was trying to get to a bigger destination across the galaxy, but on the way there, circumstances forced him on the farming planet, and then to Tatooine, I'd be totally on board (for the most part, as I still had more minor issues with each episode). But right now, instead, it just feels so aimless.

I get what you're saying but disagree.

1. If Mando knew where to take Baby Yoda where he'd be safe, it would eliminate a lot of the complete mystery that he is. Right now the only people with answers about him are the ones trying to exploit and/or kill him. In the lore, where could such a place even be 5 years after Jedi that doesn't involve Luke? I don't think that's a can of worms any of us would want opened.

2. Mando isn't simply wandering. He's being doggedly pursued. One of the big things established by the last two episodes is that he and/or the Child aren't safe anywhere. The enemies will catch up to him next episode or the one after and the main arc will come back into focus.

3. Baby Yoda has not been sidelined. He's become Mando's kryptonite. The last two episodes have seen Mando's elite skills and general badassery sidelined because of the Child's vulnerability and Mando's dedication to him in spite of his code and best interest. I expect this point will become the culminating moment of the first season.
AliasMan02
AG
bobinator said:

We'll see what happens but I already wonder if these episodes wouldn't feel so aimless if we could watch the whole season at once.

Some Stranger Things episodes come to mind. Like the season 2 episode when El goes to find her "sister." Definitely viewed differently when it's binged.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough. I don't 100% agree, but you raise some good points.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I recently binged the whole show before season 3, and that episode still feels wildly out of place. It doesn't help that it leaves all of our other main characters in the middle of a cliffhanger.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think the missing piece in the puzzle here is that Mando doesn't want what happened to him happening to The Child.

We all think being a Mando is bad-ass, but is it? He had a family on a planet before the Clone Wars came there, his parents got murdered, and he got saved, but saved into a people who seem to not laugh or be happy or do much of anything other than walk around in suits of armor and helmets telling each other "This is the Way." Even just being a normal bounty hunter is probably a lot happier lifestyle because then when you make a big score you take a nice vacation or buy a fancy house or get yourself some hot multi-species action or whatever. When Mando gets rich, he gives it all up to either get upgrades on his gear or help other people. The flashbacks are definitely a clue that he would have much rather stayed happy with his parents in his town than becoming a Mando.

When he sees Baby Yoda getting carted off, it's not necessarily about it being the Empire taking him, it's the fact that it's a kid not being given a choice, which is exactly what happened to Mando. So with that filter on, the last two episodes make perfect sense. In Episode 4, he's looking for a place to lay low and plot his next move. That doesn't work out so he tries to live the kid there, but he can't so he has to move on.

In Episode 5, he's seen what BY can do and leaves him asleep in a locked part of the ship. You think the Mando elders are leaving their kids with babysitters and pacifiers? He's parenting the way he was probably parented. Doesn't know any better.

Taking BY back is probably the first irrational thing he's done since he became an adult. The last two episode are reflective of that - he knows how to hunt and he knows how to take orders for the good of his people. Doing something selfish and trying to help someone else out isn't in his nature, so he's stumbling along.

TCTTS
AG
Wet well said.
Kate Beckett
AG
Excellent analysis.
bobinator
AG
I agree with all that. And the story makes sense from a wide angle.

I still just think it's hard to care about these other characters when we only meet them for one episode. Like this episode I know why everything happened, I just found myself not really caring about it.
PatAg
AG
anyone else get Hayden Christensen vibes from the bounty hunter in episode 5? How he talked/acting ability so on
bobinator
AG
Part Anakin Skywalker and part Shia Labouf's character from the newest Indiana Jones movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bobinator said:

Part Anakin Skywalker and part Shia Labouf's character from the newest Indiana Jones movie.
Best teamp up idea since ANakin and Nic Cage in the White Ghost
jokershady
AG

And 5 was good!
mnuge
AG
The vibe I kept getting was the kid in Unforgiven....
rynning
AG
The plot with the helpless village reminded me too much of The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla. Of course, their babies weren't being stolen and returned as simpletons, but everything else is eerily similar.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
rynning said:

The plot with the helpless village reminded me too much of The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla. Of course, their babies weren't being stolen and returned as simpletons, but everything else is eerily similar.
No Andy the Robot (Other Functions)
Malachi Constant
AG
rynning said:

They come back roont
rynning
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

rynning said:

They come back roont
Ah, I couldn't remember the word.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I should take this opportunity to mention I have a tattoo of roland holding as gun and a rose from my shoulder to just under my sleeve that took 7 and one half hours to apply
DB Coach
AG
Was it just me, or did y'all not hear spurs jingling when whoever walked up at the end?
jeffk
AG
Those were sleigh bells. Christmas special is next week.
annie88
AG
I just started watching this last night I'm through episode three and I really enjoy this. The baby Yoda just cracks me up. I love the way he reached out for the little ball.

Although I will say I wish I could see the guys face that's kind of driving me crazy.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS
AG
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony/fail pre-edit...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.