*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

325,888 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
exitone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's not, but is would be cool if Keri Russell was Ashoka in TROS, and that is why we haven't seen her with her helmet off.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zero of the Mandos have named so far, so not sure where you heard that.

The big boy was Lester from Breaking Bad.

The Armorer needs to take the helmet off and other things.

Ditto Mando's presumably dead mother.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Muck, I think that's from Wiki. It has "a fellow mandalorian" named Paz listed as being played by Favreau. It is wiki so who knows, obviously.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
exitone
AG
Was able to find this.. need to go back and check the end credits.

"Another fascinating thing to look out for is a Mandalorian voiced by what sounds like Jon Favreau. According to the ending credits, this is a Mando named Paz Vizsla. The character Favreau played on Star Wars: The Clone Wars was Pre Vizsla and was beheaded by Maul thirty some odd years prior to the events of The Mandalorian. The use of the name Vizsla is no accident. Clan Vizsla was an important player during The Clone Wars and later backed Bo Katan's war against the Imperial supported Clan Saxon and then her claim to become leader of Mandalore. After that, the only reference we have is of this mysterious "purge." We can only hope the show fills in more blanks about this dark spot in the history of the galaxy."

Apparently, he was played by Tait Fletcher, who was the stuntman. But voiced by favreau.
exitone
AG
I'm pathetic and did some Googling....

Sabine Wren, born: 21 BBY
The Mandalorian: 9 ABY

Meaning she would be 30 years old during The Mandalorian (assuming the internet is correct and my math doesn't suck).
bearamedic99
AG
BBY = before battle of Yavin?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
C@LAg said:

Big Black Yoda

That's my fetish
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Collective
AG
C@LAg said:

Big Black Yoda

Size matters not... hell naw!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
My favorite thing is that the Mandalorian is pretty ruthless... he killed the first two stormtroopers and then fought the 3rd one hand to hand. After he defeated him, he shot him with his blaster pistol for good measure as he walked away.

How many times in movies have you said "don't let that guy live!" The Mandalorian doesn't. He's thorough.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Solid third episode. I wonder where they go from here.

Does anyone else think this show kind of reminds them of a video game? Each episode feels like a different level or two of a game and the character gets upgrades to their armor and weaponry as they go.
Thanks and gig'em
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I'm really enjoying the series so far, but it actually reminds me of a video game in different way. In that a lot of the dialogue/convo scenes sound like something out of a cutscene from a video game. Part of that vibe is Mando still speaking from behind a mask, but another part of it is the somewhat stilted dialogue and slightly wooden performances. It's not bad by any means, but there's just not a lot of emotion so far, which is keeping the series from being "great" so far for me.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm really enjoying the series so far, but it actually reminds me of a video game in different way. In that a lot of the dialogue/convo scenes sound like something out of a cutscene from a video game. Part of that vibe is Mando still speaking from behind a mask, but another part of it is the somewhat stilted dialogue and slightly wooden performances. It's not bad by any means, but there's just not a lot of emotion so far, which is keeping the series from being "great" so far for me.
It does make me wonder how much of that is intended. They seem like a warrior society in hiding, where they have to be in control of themselves at all times, I'm hoping that it starts to fade over time through a conscious choice on the characters part.
CoachRTM
AG
It's also really difficult to have emotion in a TV series where almost every character is permanently behind a mask.

Mando "turning around" to go save Baby Yoda should have been the most emotional point of the series so far, but all they could do was have him play with the little toy ball. Not ideal, but the best that they could do.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You guys are missing one hell of a show.
The Collective
AG
For some reason, I can connect with the assumed emotion from the Mandalorian characters in the show.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think Pascal has done a great job.

The flashbacks, while good scenes, seem to be a little out of place to me.
bonfarr
AG
I think you are really stretching to try to make a good, fun show bad.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
CheeseSndwch
This might be a stretch but was Mando giving Baby Yoda the knob to play with a nod to American Graffiti when John gave Carol the gear shift knob?
Flashdiaz
AG
The show is awesome.... is it perfect? I don't care as it's everything I wanted in a mandalorian since I knew what a mandalorian is with Fett.
bonfarr
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

This might be a stretch but was Mando giving Baby Yoda the knob to play with a nod to American Graffiti when John gave Carol the gear shift knob?

I didn't think about that but it makes sense. We know they added a salute to Disney's Rocketeer in the episode
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
bonfarr said:

I think you are really stretching to try to make a good, fun show bad.

"I'm really enjoying the series so far..."

"It's not bad by any means..."

I don't know how you could read that paragraph and think I'm "making a good, fun show bad," as I literally said the opposite. I just think that the two Mando clan scenes - in the first and third episodes - are kind of stilted. And yes, that might be the point, as was alluded to earlier, but it doesn't help the fact that because everyone in those scenes is behind a mask, the voice work comes across as a little wooden and cheesy. It's just not great dialogue, either. Throw in the awkward flashback montages both times the armor was being made and I'm just not feeling those particular scenes at all. Other than that, Carl Weathers has been fine, I guess, with Werner Herzog being the only great performance so far, IMO (though, yes, Pedro Pascal's voice work has been good, too, outside of the clan scenes).

All I'm saying is, it's a valid "complaint" that we're now an hour and a half in and this show is void of almost all human emotion. I don't know that I've seen a show with this much lack of literal expression and emotion and it's just a bit jarring, that's all. That doesn't take away from the fact that it's a compelling story, is beautifully shot, features amazing effects work, has great action sequences, or that Baby Yoda hasn't gone a long way toward making up for the lack of emotion with his awesomeness/cuteness. I'm just ready to meet some more, actual human actors who aren't behind masks.

Apologies for only being 95% in on this show and not that 100% that is apparently required in this thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Apology accepted
DVC2010
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Apology accepted

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's all valid, but this is still far better than Solo thus far.
TCTTS
AG
Negative. I literally rewatched Solo a couple nights ago. That movie has so much heart and is still so damn fun. In terms of emotion, it's basically on the opposite end of the spectrum as this so far. Not that I'm not loving Mando, but I'd put two hours of Solo over an hour and half of this, no question. Though, I could obviously feel different by the time season one of Mando is over...
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

Negative. I literally rewatched Solo a couple nights ago. That movie has so much heart and is still so damn fun. In terms of emotion, it's basically on the opposite end of the spectrum as this so far. Not that I'm not loving Mando, but I'd put two hours of Solo over an hour and half of this, no question. Though, I could obviously feel different by the time season one of Mando is over...

This has to be a joke, if not it completely invalidates any opinion you may have about movies. Solo absolutely blows and is the worst of a good number of terrible Star Wars films.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
SOLO is better than last jedi, Atttack of the clones and phantom menace. On par with force awakens.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not to derail, but name one memorable/iconic moment in Solo.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Han actually shooting first.

Doing the kessel run.

That droid of lando's dieing
redline248
AG
The Kessel run, shooting Beckett, Chewbacca and the other wookies wrecking shop in the mines...
TCTTS
AG
"Solo blows" takes are so tired and reductive. That, and you're insane if you think it's worse than any of the prequels. In fact, I would argue that Solo portrays the hero's journey - in exciting, textbook fashion - better than anything outside of the original trilogy. It's so incredibly clear in its theme, one that it never deviates from, and delivers upon brilliantly in the end. It's just such a clever, fantastically written screenplay brought to life by a great cast and genuinely thrilling action. I love every minute of it, and could not care less what that does to invalidate my opinion in your eyes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.