*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,558 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Stewade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Quote:

Just make sure Beware of Doug throws that in the LSU run the numbers. TCTTS approves
Maybe we'll just do an entire Star Wars-themed Run the Numbers for the LSU game. I'm sure everyone would be fine with that.
tk for tu juan
AliasMan02
AG
Biggest problem with the idea that the baby Yoda is somehow a Force incarnation or otherwise linked to the Force itself is that this critter will be around during all of the events of the sequel trilogy, doing nothing. They have been careful to keep any living or available Jedi out of the story that might intersect with Rey.

Ahsoka and Ezra are out there, but presumably flung to the edge of the Galaxy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow lol. Pascal gave the character's name away.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/pedro-pascal-awkwardly-said-the-mandalorians-real-name-1839832883/amp
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
exitone
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Guess I'm catching up.... where is this picture from? And does this mean 'cloning' is looking like more a realistic theme here?
wangus12
AG
exitone said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Guess I'm catching up.... where is this picture from? And does this mean 'cloning' is looking like more a realistic theme here?
In some form or fashion, yeah cloning is probably going to be involved here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes
Mac94
AG
Quote:

In some form or fashion, yeah cloning is probably going to be involved here.

Makes sense .... a former Imperial officer now relegated to the shadows but with ambition to reviving the Empire under his command. A possible force sensitive creature and cloning tech with the ability of making clones submissive to certain authority. The officer would have known the power and fear of the Emperor and Vader so maybe he is looking at creating his own Force warrior to use to gain power?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Had to get a Chromecast to watch on my TV, solidifying my status of old man who no longer understands technology.

1. The entire episode is a love letter to author Karen Traviss, She wrote several books in the Legacy of the Force series pre-Disney as well as multiple ones about the Clone Troopers that involve Jango Fett and other Mandos teaching them to fight. An amazing amount of her original work is in this episode, including details about Beskar, the clans, even the Bounty Hunting Guild. I am so pleased that they have not totally shut down the idea of taking really great stuff from the "Legends" collection and incorporating it into new properties, as they did with Thrawn in Rebels. If you're into reading - obviously not canon stuff - here is Traviss' bibliography for Star Wars stuff.

2. I really enjoyed the episode, from start to finish I never thought anything was dumb or silly. They've made the Mando very good, but not perfect. He still got his arm stuck in the Blurg's mouth and got very pinned down by the sheer swarm of troops and Baby Yoda's hideout

3. Not sure what to make of Baby Yoda, but I'm excited that we're finally getting into what has been a black hole of information about that species. Hopefully the name of the species will be revealed at some point. When I first heard "50 years old", I jumped to the conclusion that it was a clone trooper they were after. If Palpatine was behind getting some Yoda DNA, it should be have been no problem, they were around each other constantly for several years.

4. I can't remember if this is canon or not, but I remember reading somewhere Yoda telling Luke or perhaps Obi-Wan that he was the first of his species to be a Force-sensitive. Yaddle I guess was the second although we see her for 5 seconds and then she dies in a comic book. I can envision Palpatine realizing that Yoda's strength in the Force matches his own and being interested in the species, seeing if he can replicate that sensitivity in a being under his control. SInce he planned to live forever assuming he knew Darth Plageuis's secret, waiting a few hundred years for an apprentice to reach maturity wouldn't have been a big deal.

5. How does Jon Favreau go from reoccurring guest star as Monica's billionaire boyfriend on Friends to giving us Iron Man and the Mando? And I love the thought and care they're putting into casting - Carl Weathers was great, Nick Nolte's pig-man voice was great, Horatio Sanz was great at the alien who thinks he can talk his way out of this, and IG11 was unintentionally hilarious "beginning self-destruct sequence."

6. The best part is that I work from home and every Friday morning when the rest of the family has shipped out for work/school, I can sit in total quiet and watch new episodes. Muy, muy, Disney+, I love you!
The Collective
AG
There could have been a ton of Jedi DNA at the temple if they really did the midichlorian sample on all Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Horatio Sanz was great at the alien who thinks he can talk his way out of this,
THANK YOU. I knew his face looked familiar, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out who it was. Good eye.
Flashdiaz
AG
a ton of Jedi DNA all over the place... especially in the single chamber "meditation" rooms
bonfarr
AG
Before Friends and Swingers he was Gutter from PCU, quite possibly his finest performance

Max Power
AG
bonfarr said:

Before Friends and Swingers he was Gutter from PCU, quite possibly his finest performance

The best line in the movie, which is happening in this very picture...

"Can you blow me where the Pampers is?"
Duncan Idaho
Solid work.
Referring to him as the guy from friends is a better troll than referring to Giancarlo Esposito as the guy from rEvolution
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Maybe baby Yoda is a clone?

I think that fits with the 50-year timeline, it would explain why a Kamino Scientist is aware of his existence, and it could explain why he was traceable if they say they put trackers in the clones.
Thanks and gig'em
bobinator
AG
I know it's inevitable, I just wish we'd leave all the clone stuff behind.
MandoArms
bearamedic99 said:

What did you guys think about the throwback black and white vision when he was looking through the scope?

Cool and retro? Dumb and should have been updated with new tech?

I'm in the latter camp
I think his use of outdated equipment is intentional. He is having his armor built as he goes and they laugh at his old "Pre-Empire Ship." So for me the use of it is not only cool but it fits the theme of the show.
IG: mando_arms
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
He also seems like the kind of guy who is going to use the stuff that works best, not just upgrade to upgrade.
exitone
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

4. I can't remember if this is canon or not, but I remember reading somewhere Yoda telling Luke or perhaps Obi-Wan that he was the first of his species to be a Force-sensitive. Yaddle I guess was the second although we see her for 5 seconds and then she dies in a comic book. I can envision Palpatine realizing that Yoda's strength in the Force matches his own and being interested in the species, seeing if he can replicate that sensitivity in a being under his control. SInce he planned to live forever assuming he knew Darth Plageuis's secret, waiting a few hundred years for an apprentice to reach maturity wouldn't have been a big deal.
This was a big topic in the DP book... Plageuis focusing on specific species for either their use of the force, or their ability to thwart it. He was kidnapping them and locking them up in his lab to study.
wangus12
AG
exitone said:

MuckRaker96 said:

This was a big topic in the DP book... Plageuis focusing on specific species for either their use of the force, or their ability to thwart it. He was kidnapping them and locking them up in his lab to study.
They also touched the topic in Clone Wars I believe as well. Kidnapping Force sensitive kids
The Collective
AG
Also addressed in season 2 of Rebels. There is a great fight scene at the end of the episode.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI, I see some people here saying this is a nine-episode first season, but it's actually eight. The official site announced the episode count a while back. Here's the schedule / director list...

11.12.19 - Chapter 1 - Dave Filoni
11.15.19 - Chapter 2 - Rick Famuyiwa
11.22.19 - Chapter 3 - Deborah Chow
11.29.19 - Chapter 4 - Bryce Dallas Howard
12.06.19 - Chapter 5 - Dave Filoni
12.13.19 - Chapter 6 - Rick Famuyiwa
12.18.19 - Chapter 7 - Deborah Chow
12.27.19 - Chapter 8 - Taika Waititi

- Six of the eight episodes release on a Friday (at midnight Pacific).
- Chapter 1 obviously released on a Tuesday, while Chapter 7 will release on Wednesday the 18th (as to avoid Episode IX's release on the 19th/20th).
- Deborah Chow, who directs Chapters 3 and 7, is directing all six episodes of the Obi-Wan series.
Totally missed that Bryce Dallas Howard is directing an episode.

Mando gonna be running away from a Rancor in high-heels
Another Doug
AG
I though the first episode was meh. Some good visuals, some star wars nostalgia but that was about it. I hope it gets better. The story/acting were on par of bad Star Trek.

not-boba fett goes to exotic locale, fights monster immediately for absolutely 0 stakes, <something that reminds you of star wars>, not-fett says a few words, repeat

Also, you never realize how import music is to star wars until you hear it with forgettable music.
wangus12
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I also really like that not all the episodes got released at once. This atmosphere on message boards where everyone sees one at time is one of my favorite things about TV. It made Game of Thrones, Lost, The Shield, and BSG2004 all the more enjoyable to talk about them with other fans.

I need a Carl Weathers shirt with him in Rocky, Predator, Action Jackson, Arrested Development, the Shield, and now The Mandalorian.
Another Doug
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I also really like that not all the episodes got released at once. This atmosphere on message boards where everyone sees one at time is one of my favorite things about TV. It made Game of Thrones, Lost, The Shield, and BSG2004 all the more enjoyable to talk about them with other fans.

I need a Carl Weathers shirt with him in Rocky, Predator, Action Jackson, Arrested Development, the Shield, and now The Mandalorian.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, some bantha fodder... baby you got a stew going.
TCTTS
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Beware of Doug said:

I though the first episode was meh. Some good visuals, some star wars nostalgia but that was about it. I hope it gets better. The story/acting were on par of bad Star Trek.

not-boba fett goes to exotic locale, fights monster immediately for absolutely 0 stakes, <something that reminds you of star wars>, not-fett says a few words, repeat

Also, you never realize how import music is to star wars until you hear it with forgettable music.
Ok Stewade scratch that, do NOT have Beware of Doug do run the Numbers for LSU in a star wars theme. Dude seems like a cranky Mon Calamari. Ok maybe a cranky Garek after his tailor shop is blown up. ( and yes I DO remember who actually blew it up)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.