*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,545 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Think they are duping us and when he takes it off he us going to be battle scarred and burned hideously
redline248
AG
Maybe he'll also be a smart ass who swears profusely
BenFiasco14
AG
33 minutes? What a joke! At least game of thrones waited until like season 7 before they started gipping us episode length
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Someone already said it, but I'm getting just as much of a Samurai vibe as I am a Western vibe (and yes, I realize they're very similar in nature, playing off each other throughout cinema history).

Beautifully shot show, but these episodes are just too short. Can barely start getting into an episode by the time it's already over.
redline248
AG
This episode reminded me of early episodes of BSG. Next week his ship's ventilation system will break and he'll start running out of oxygen.
bonfarr
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Someone already said it, but I'm getting just as much of a Samurai vibe as I am a Western vibe (and yes, I realize they're very similar in nature, playing off each other throughout cinema history).

Beautifully shot show, but these episodes are just too short. Can barely start getting into an episode by the time it's already over.

Didn't Lucas say one of the major influences for Star Wars was the Seven Samurai?
bonfarr
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The short episodes remind me if the old serials like Buck Rogers, just as they start getting good they are over and leave you hungry for more.
Koldus131
AG
I for one, love the score so far
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Solid episode. This might have felt like a dull filler episode in any other show, but because it's Star Wars, it's instead a really fun chance to see a Mandalorian attacking a sandcrawler.

I'm enjoying the music more as we go along and 100% agree with folks who are picking up a samurai vibe.

Baby Yoda is adorable.

Can't wait to see how the season develops.
Thanks and gig'em
MandoArms
Really enjoyed Chapter 2. When he was sniping off the Jawas it reminded me of Quigley Down under. The more I look at the rifle the more it seems to be a Star Wars version of the Sharps rifle. Even the scope looks like something found on older western guns.
IG: mando_arms
wangus12
AG
redline248 said:

C@LAg said:

Hulla Baller said:

So I guess Mando doesn't know what the force is or who yoda was?
more than half this country cannot name the heads of congress.
so factor that he is a bounty hunter, who likely worked for the empire and not the republic... so yes.
yoda was just one of the council no reason to expect most people would know his name. especially 30 years later.
Not only that, but based on the flashbacks in Chapter 1, he was likely a kid when the Empire took over and the Jedi fell. Probably never even heard of Yoda...

Every new entry in the Star Wars canon power creeps the hell out of the force.

Someone was talking about it earlier, but 99 of the Galaxy would have probably never met a Jedi, much less known of them individually. Now we're almost 30 years after the fall of the Republic and Order 66. The Force and Jedi are mere legends and fantasy at this point to most of them.
jokershady
AG
Love little Yoda! Course we all keep calling it little Yoda when it's obviously not him specifically.

Do we know what the name of his species is in the Star Wars lore?

I really enjoyed this one! Mando chunking a few of the jawas to the ground was just funny as hell. Loved how he didn't waste any time shooting several of them when he saw them dismantling his ship
Dr. Teeth
AG
I was laughing my ass off too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, I take back pretty much everything I said after Chapter 1. I love this show. And clearly this is not episodic at all. In fact it seems like it's basically going to be structured like a 4+ hour movie, and I'm all over it.

Exactly the kind of story I was hoping for.

Not to mention this straight up feels like I'm watching the OT. So ****ing cool.

And I cannot get enough of baby Yoda.

I'm fully hooked. Bring on Chapter 3.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, does the main theme sound like Rocky music to anyone else? (Not a bad thing, I enjoy it.)

I'm absolutely loving the rest of the score, with those cool flute-y instruments.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BrownCoat said:

Really enjoyed Chapter 2. When he was sniping off the Jawas it reminded me of Quigley Down under. The more I look at the rifle the more it seems to be a Star Wars version of the Sharps rifle. Even the scope looks like something found on older western guns.

Seriously... Watching the episode tonight had be wondering about making his rifle in a 45-70....
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Flashdiaz
AG
Lol thought the same about Rocky Music
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Been thinking about any references to Yoda in the original EU "Legends".

There's one novel where Luke sees an old recording of a Jedi strike team reporting back to the council about fighting the Dathomiri Witches and Yoda is seen briefly giving a report, and Luke is impressed by how young he looks.

The only other thing I can think of is in Tim Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology where Jorj Cardas reveales to Talon Karrde that he witnessed a fight between Yoda and a Dark Jedi on Dagobah during the Clone Wars, after which Yoda healed Jorj up, giving him some limited Force powers along the way.

Yoda's life prior to the OT and Obi-Wan's life were always strictly off limits before the PT, but that makes sense. Zahn's trilogy came out around 1992 I think. By that time ILM would have been doing the work for Jurassic Park and Lucas would have understood what could be done with computers and probably already the Special Editions working his brain as the test print for the prequel trilogy. Don't want to put down a lot of Yoda/Obi-Wan history when you've got them coming up in 3 new movies. Also probabyl the reason he wouldn't let Zahn use a mad clone of Obi-Wan as the secondary antagonist in his Thrawn trilogy, so he had to invent Jorus C'baoth instead.

Duncan Idaho
TheEyeGuy said:

BrownCoat said:

Seriously... Watching the episode tonight had be wondering about making his rifle in a 45-70....

Pretty sure Quigley's gun was 45-120.
AliasMan02
AG
Loved how this episode in particular felt like an old serial... a self contained adventure with very clear stakes. Get the win, move to the next place like the Incredible Hulk or the Fugitive. A great formula as they build the mythos.

Love the score, and the painted storyboards behind the credits is very cool.
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure Lucas gave absolutely no information about the background of Yoda's species or where they came from because he wanted them to remain a mystery
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

TheEyeGuy said:

BrownCoat said:

Pretty sure Quigley's gun was 45-120.
45-110, actually. But, I have a 45-70 in store right now that would fit the build perfectly....
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Episode two was way better, IMO. This kind of pacing will totally work from here on out. It just felt so off for a pilot. I'm absolutely along for the ride now, though.

Also, Baby Yoda rules.

That is all.
amercer
AG
Enjoyed both episodes, but not blown away. It's cool, and it's Star Wars, but I don't expect anything of consequence to happen. Maybe that's because it's yet another story stuck in between the movies.

I do like force baby Yoda though, because if they insist on staying narrowly inside the standard Star Wars story lane, we might as well get some cool force *****
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yoda's species are the Dagoboners
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PatAg
AG
I like that it's not clear exactly what the Mandalorian is thinking in regards to the bounty. Clearly he feels protective of it, but that could still just be to get the larger bounty for it being alive. My thought is that he either decides to not give it, or he does turn it in and then immediately regrets it and the show is him trying to get it back.

Really not confident in either of those, which I like.
MandoArms
This build will need its own thread! The more I look at the rifle the more I think basing it off a rolling block with a full length musket style stock would work best...
IG: mando_arms
redline248
AG
PatAg said:

I like that it's not clear exactly what the Mandalorian is thinking in regards to the bounty. Clearly he feels protective of it, but that could still just be to get the larger bounty for it being alive. My thought is that he either decides to not give it, or he does turn it in and then immediately regrets it and the show is him trying to get it back.

I was thinking that the first time he takes off his helmet will coincide with him deciding not to give the baby to the imperials.
Max Power
AG
Baby Yoda is awesome, cutest thing I've ever seen. It's like they crossed Yoda and Gizmo, going to sell a hell of a lot of toys, my kid will certainly be the beneficiary of at least one this Christmas.
YouBet
AG
This show kicks ass. Bonus is that my wife is totally hooked. She can't get enough of baby yoda.

I hate the music though and not because it doesn't sound like Star Wars. It doesn't even sound like a fit with the theme and tone of this show to me, but whatever.

Can't wait until next week!
lunchbox
redline248 said:

PatAg said:

I was thinking that the first time he takes off his helmet will coincide with him deciding not to give the baby to the imperials.
I've been wondering if he will run into the two ladies that went on a journey at the end of Rebels. Perhaps he gives him to them...?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Max Power said:

Baby Yoda is awesome, cutest thing I've ever seen. It's like they crossed Yoda and Gizmo, going to sell a hell of a lot of toys, my kid will certainly be the beneficiary of at least one this Christmas.
We have a Shih Tzu named Mogwai.... baby yoda looks like her though Mog is brown. Our other ankle biter is named Gizmo.
redline248
AG
lunchbox said:

redline248 said:

PatAg said:

I've been wondering if he will run into the two ladies that went on a journey at the end of Rebels. Perhaps he gives him to them...?

iirc, Filoni said somewhere after the end of Rebels that Ahsoka's story wasn't done. However, I don't really see them casting anyone to play her in a live action format.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

This show kicks ass. Bonus is that my wife is totally hooked. She can't get enough of baby yoda.

I hate the music though and not because it doesn't sound like Star Wars. It doesn't even sound like a fit with the theme and tone of this show to me, but whatever.

Can't wait until next week!

I was thinking about that during the 2nd episode as well. I think the music is good, but you're right that it doesn't fit with the show most of the time.
I don't think it needs to sound like John Williams, or really borrow any themes from the main storyline movies necessarily either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.