*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,526 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I watched the second video which it seems gave a good brief summary of a long history with that saber.

So....if I understand correctly....

That saber originally belonged to a Jedi who was originally a Mandalorian.....and when he died because it was one of a kind the Jedi kept it in their temple.

Then somehow the Mandalorians took it back and it stayed with the Mandos the rest of the time? Until now that is?

Obviously there's more to it than that but is that the gist of it?
Belton Ag
AG
Darth Maul had it at one point, then Sabine Wren found it and along with Kanan Jarrus used it during Rebels. It then went back to Mandalore when Sabine gave it to one of her relatives.

There will be a backstory I'm sure. I imagine Gideon acquired its during the Purge of the Mandalorians by the Empire.
jokershady
AG
Oh wait! Saw posts about the great scene and dialogue at the beginning with the storm troopers....IG-11 going all T2 on us....and the dark saber reveal at the end...

BUT

How about BY stopping the flame trooper with the force???? I'm sure every single one of us watching had the same HUGE ear to ear grin on their face!

And then later on when Greef says. "Do the hand wave thingy." and BY just waves at him. Ah! Loved it!
tk for tu juan
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber
Laser Wolf
Awesome last episode and first season.

If only John Favreau had directed Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
AliasMan02
AG
Friggin Darksaber!

Sabine Wren makes an appearance in Season 2. Mark it down.
Aggie_3
Laser Wolf said:

Awesome last episode and first season.

If only John Favreau had directed Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Episode 9 was great just the way it was
YellowPot_97
AG
So friggin good! My jaw hit the floor as soon as the dark saber tip poked out.
ja86
AG
jeffk said:

ja86 said:

clone wars first, there are viewing guides out there that show suggested viewing orders so that you can skip the fluff.

Curious, do you have a viewing plan you'd recommend? I looked up a few, but they included all the episodes from all the seasons. Don't have the time for all that.
not really, i just know that they exist. I went through all the seasons. I would look for certain story arcs related to mandalore
Yoda
AG
That episode, and entire season, was a whole lot of fun. Favreau and team knocked it out of the park. Can't wait for season 2, and this just raises the bar for what we should expect for the other announced series like Obi Wan.
Ghost91
Everything that's already been mentioned was fantastic - the speeder bike troopers dialogue/target practice, IG-11, the darksaber (OMG!), Baby Yoday smiling and waving at Apollo when he said 'make him do the wavy hand thing', the respect paid to Kuill, the manner in which Mando's face was revealed.....wow.

Another thing that I thought was unbelievably cool was how the Mando Blacksmith chick FRACTURED the stormtrooper's armor into pieces over & over - have we ever seen that before?? Pieces of white 'plastic' armor shell flying everywhere. Even cracked open the lower half of one dude's helmet, showing his mouth.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

So friggin good! My jaw hit the floor as soon as the dark saber tip poked out.
That's what she said.
tamusc
AG
The Mandalorian showed it was possible to have multiple directors involved and each add a little bit of their own touch while still maintaining an overall feel and narrative that fits together.

Basically the opposite of the sequel trilogy. It really shows what can be done in the SW universe when there's a consistent creative vision helping to tie everything together.
Sex Panther
AG
Great finale and season, but question for you Star Wars experts...

Mando and the gang had never heard of the Force or Jedis??? How is that possible? I thought Jedis were super famous and legendary. And 5 years after the fall of the Empire, wouldn't Luke Skywalker be a household name throughout the galaxy? I mean Gina Carano was a rebel fighter, she doesn't know what Jedis are?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The empire destroyed all records of the jedi. Luke is one guy as among trillions of beings in a massive galaxy.
Belton Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Mando and the gang had never heard of the Force or Jedis??? How is that possible? I thought Jedis were super famous and legendary. And 5 years after the fall of the Empire, wouldn't Luke Skywalker be a household name throughout the galaxy? I mean Gina Carano was a rebel fighter, she doesn't know what Jedis are?
You're right to wonder about that, but at this time in the story there is only 1 Jedi left in the galaxy and that's Luke Skywalker. The Empire did a good job of wiping out the Jedi order and erasing its existence, and Gina Carano's character possibly hadn't been born yet when Order 66 was given.
Sex Panther
AG
Appreciate the responses, and that makes sense. Didn't think it was a plot hole really, just looking for an explanation. I think I'm actually going to try and rewatch the entire saga, including *sigh* ...the prequels.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Moreover, luke is known as the pilot who blew up the death star. In the films, no one outside of Vader, sheev. Leia, blind han, lando, chewie and the droids have seen him use a lightsaber
Belton Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Appreciate the responses, and that makes sense. Didn't think it was a plot hole really, just looking for an explanation. I think I'm actually going to try and rewatch the entire saga, including *sigh* ...the prequels.

No problem. At the beginning of The Force Awakens, Han has to actually convince Rey and Finn that the Force and the Jedi were real. Rey even makes the comment that she thought Luke was a myth.
ja86
AG
yet the whole rebel cause is taglined 'may the force be with you'. How can you be fighting for the Rebels and not know the force and the jedi go hand in hand.
Sex Panther
AG
Oh yeah... I do need to rewatch the whole thing.
Duncan Idaho
Sex Panther said:

Go ask a chinaman about Tibet, Taiwan or Tiananmen square.

It is amazing what an authoritarian government can make a population forget in a generation
AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

It's definitely an area of world building that could be tightened up a little. The important thing from a narrative standpoint is that they repeat the fact that Jedi are almost entirely unknown to the public in this time period.

Individual characters can know what a Jedi or the Force are if the story demands it... Agent Kallus knew when Kanan lit up his lightsaber for the first time. Cassian knew about Jedi when he encountered the Guardians of the Whills. Jyn knew about them in the context of their lightsabers. Those are all examples of a little before when Mando takes place. But as long as the writers keep reinforcing the narrative that the knowledge of the Jedi has been wiped out at large (like with Mando et al, Han, Luke, etc.), it works.

I did think Cara was going to say something about it when she saw Baby Yoda do his thing. She certainly would have heard of the Force, Jedi, and Luke Skywalker, as she fought in the Rebellion. But I noted that she stayed silent on it one way or another.
MandoArms
I can buy that the Jedi and force powers are widely unknown. It only takes about one generation for some thing to go from history to legend. I imagine that most info on Jedi was purged from records by the Empire and unless you saw it first hand you knew nothing of it.
IG: mando_arms
Quad Dog
AG
That's always been a problem with Star Wars timeline. Considering this quote came ~20 years after a ton of Jedi existed.
Quote:

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort...

It would be like us calling the Bush/ Gore election ancient history.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Calling my shots in advance

Season 2 ends with Mando getting Baby Yoda to Planet Yoda, but Moff Gideon is able to track them somehow and pursues with a genuine ISD. The Yodas combine their powers and throw it out of the system, ala the end of the Jedi Apprentice series.

Season 3 (assuming there is one) has Gideon bent on revenge against Mando because he can no longer find Planet Yoda. He decides to exterminate the rest of the Mandalorians. Somewhere in the end of Season 2, Mando has taken the Darksaber for him and uses it to unite the existing clans. Season 3 ends with Mando in front of an army of the united clans with the Darksaber raised above his head turning "This is the Way" into a battle cry to strike back at the Imperial Moff who enslaved and conquered Mandalore.

Lost in the shuffle of Episode 8 was the reveal that Cara Dune is from Alderaan. Certainly accounts for her hatred of the Imperials. If her age in real life (37) is about how old she is on the show, then she would have been around her mid 20s when the Death Star laid waste to Alderaan. Would love at least part of an episode dedicated to her back story, why she wasn't at home when the fireworks started, and how she got trained up as a fighter - Alderaan has no defense force or weapons, so she must have learned it all on the fly somewhere else.
TXAG 05
AG
Quad Dog said:

That's always been a problem with Star Wars timeline. Considering this quote came ~20 years after a ton of Jedi existed.
Quote:

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort...

It would be like us calling the Bush/ Gore election ancient history.

To be fair, how many thousands of years had the Jedi/Sith been around at that point? It was an ancient religion and as far as they knew, Vader was the only one who still practiced it, assuming the Emperor hadn't revealed his powers to anyone
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Would be a great reveal if they get to Planet Yoda and realize the species stays hidden because of how powerful they are, but 800 years ago one left to join the Jedi Order seeking adventure and excitement.
Duncan Idaho
MuckRaker96 said:

Would be a great reveal if they get to Planet Yoda and realize the species stays hidden because of how powerful they are, but 800 years ago one left to join the Jedi Order seeking adventure and excitement.

2 left....but did Yoda and his girlfriend go together? Or did she stalk him after he ghosted her?
Yoda
AG
Sex Panther said:

Oh yeah... I do need to rewatch the whole thing.
jeffk
AG
Are there any other good series on Disney+ now that I'm done with this?
tamusc
AG
Rebels or Clone Wats if you haven't watched either of those.

The Imagineering Story is pretty good too.
bluefire579
AG
#1 said:

bluefire579 said:

The real question is, will we get to see a live action darksaber?

Good call.
Super excited that I was right. I figured that it would eventually make the series, but glad it's there sooner rather than later.
JCRiley09
AG
The answer might be "we don't know," but were those the last Mandalorians who died this season? Are we down to only 3 Mandalorians (counting BY and assuming the blacksmith lived)?
YouBet
AG
Awesome ending to the season. Will have to rewatch because my wife was screaming the whole time whenever BY was on screen so couldn't hear everything.

Don't know anything about the Dark Saber so can't wait to find out about that between now and S2. I'm about halfway through S3 of Clone Wars so looking forward to how that ends.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.