*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,550 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Article 58-10 Offender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think my problem with the episodic nature of the show is that it didn't purport itself to be that in the first couple episodes. The appearance of baby Yoda gave the indication that "holy shet, we're about to have some major inputs and developments of canon" and then....two hours of essentially nothing of note happening.

If it had started off as the "forty minute adventures of this bounty hunter" I don't think you'd be hearing these same complaints.
zooguy96
The 3rd episode was my favorite. Then, the 4th one.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. Baby Yoda has been reduced to nothing more than a literal reminder that there's a larger story at play, but a larger story that keeps having to be stuffed in the closet or sidelined for no apparent reason. For two episodes now there hasn't been any real goal or plan. Mando is just kind of wondering from planet to planet with a baby. By the end of episode three - when he decided to save the baby - there should have been some kind of goal or ultimate destination established. If he gets the baby to [X], the baby will be safe. And the next few episodes should have made it a huge challenge for him and the baby to get to [X]. Then the planet hopping wouldn't seem so aimless, and the "monster of the week" wouldn't feel so forced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So SWT is convinced the mystery figure at the end is Boba Fett. Thoughts?
TCTTS
AG
I feel like it has to at least be someone of that stature and notoriety. If it ends up either being a random dude or some cameo character from The Clone Wars or something, the cliff-hanger nature won't make much sense. So yeah, right now, my best guess is Boba Fett.
Article 58-10 Offender
TCTTS said:

Good point. Baby Yoda has been reduced to nothing more than a literal reminder that there's a larger story at play, but a larger story that keeps having to be stuffed in the closet or sidelined for no apparent reason. For two episodes now there hasn't been any real goal or plan. Mando is just kind of wondering from planet to planet with a baby. By the end of episode three - when he decided to save the baby - there should have been some kind of goal or ultimate destination established. If he gets the baby to [X], the baby will be safe. And the next few episodes should have made it a huge challenge for him and the baby to get to [X]. Then the planet hopping wouldn't seem so aimless, and the "monster of the week" wouldn't feel so forced.

Oh I totally agree. For the record, I'm one of the ones complaining.
Rudyjax
AG
Article 58-10 Offender said:

I think my problem with the episodic nature of the show is that it didn't purport itself to be that in the first couple episodes. The appearance of baby Yoda gave the indication that "holy shet, we're about to have some major inputs and developments of canon" and then....two hours of essentially nothing of note happening.

If it had started off as the "forty minute adventures of this bounty hunter" I don't think you'd be hearing these same complaints.

I think that's your exceptions not being met versus legitimate criticism.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yeah, and I was basically agreeing with you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You don't have to goaltend every criticism, dude. You liked it and that's fine.
TCTTS
AG
Wait, I'm changing my answer. I forgot about Giancarlo Esposito's character (who has yet to be introduced, was Gus from Breaking Bad)...

Article 58-10 Offender
Foxymophandlemama said:

I think that's your exceptions not being met versus legitimate criticism.

That's fair, and I agree.

Edit - I misread. I think it's legitimate criticism after the first couple episodes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I totally forgot he was even in this. Gotta be him.

It's weird how some of these characters are coming in so late in the season. And how many have come and gone so quickly.

Apparently Werner Herzog was only credited in two episodes, so we've seen the last of him already.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS has legitimate criticism.

Saying the show is not what you want it to be is not.

I'll stop.
Article 58-10 Offender
Foxymophandlemama said:

I'll stop.

I said it's not what it purported to be after the first couple episodes. Did you read what I wrote?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed. Sucks that that's likely the end of Herzog's character. He's been my favorite so far. Getting that screen grab of Esposito, going through the two trailers, below are the only images left that we haven't yet seen. All of this looks awesome/intriguing, so hopefully these final three episode deliver...

Rudyjax
AG

Foxymophandlemama said:

I'll stop.

I said it's not what it purported to be after the first couple episodes. Did you read what I wrote?

I read what you wrote. Who said it was what it was purported to be?

I took it as an episodic what is Mando doing with a ling story arc. That's what I heard it was and that's exactly what it is.
Rudyjax
AG
And to be fair, I think this is generational.

I'll ride the waves where it takes me.

I stick with very few shows.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ill make sure to run any further criticism by you to make sure it's valid.
Rudyjax
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ill make sure to run any further criticism by you to make sure it's valid.

Please do so.

redline248
AG
Boba Fett showing up in this show (or any post-Jedi timeline) would be the ultimate shark jump.
Article 58-10 Offender
redline248 said:

Boba Fett showing up in this show (or any post-Jedi timeline) would be the ultimate shark jump.

*sarlaac jump
Rudyjax
AG
Didn't bobba fett die?
Farmer1906
AG
Just being digested.
Rudyjax
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Just being digested.

Right. So how does he live in the Sarlac?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Beskar
Farmer1906
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just being digested.

Right. So how does he live in the Sarlac?

Not very well.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I think this thread has already traveled all seasons of GoT which ia impressive.
CoachRTM
AG
I'm really glad I don't think about televisions shows nearly as much as some of you do.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone know why the technology is so much improved in 6 years?
Farmer1906
AG
Less government regulations and control. Freedom breeds innovation.
MandoArms
TCTTS said:

Yeah, agreed. Sucks that that's likely the end of Herzog's character. He's been my favorite so far. Getting that screen grab of Esposito, going through the two trailers, below are the only images left that we haven't yet seen. All of this looks awesome/intriguing, so hopefully these final three episode deliver...

There is one more quote that Herzog says in the trailer that isn't in any episode yet. Herzog says something to the effect that "Mandalorian look outside they are waiting for you" and Mando's reply (and also the first time we heard his voice) was "yea? good".

I think Herzog comes back before the end of the season.
IG: mando_arms
TCTTS
AG
Since we don't actually see the footage (we only hear the dialogue), it could have been cut dialogue from his two episodes so far, but I hope you're right. Definitely feels like he needs at least one more appearance.
MandoArms
I assume that the shoot out scene with all the troopers takes place right after that conversation. I'm assuming he goes to Herzog to try and get the trackers turned off after passing off the child to someone he trusts.
IG: mando_arms
redline248
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

Is it? Targeting computers looked exactly like the original Star Wars
Rudyjax
AG
redline248 said:

Foxymophandlemama said:

Is it? Targeting computers looked exactly like the original Star Wars

The images in the fobs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.