*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,519 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't like the idea of non-Jedi/Sith having sabers.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I tend to agree, although I will make an exception for the darksaber. It's got big history in the Mandalorian culture, plus it looks badass.
Flashdiaz
AG
I want to see this planet

Red Five
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

it's also possible that there are few, if any, genetic Mandalorians even left. Their "race" may be more based on shared culture than anything else at this point.
I mean in terms of genetics, the people of Mandalore are human and Mandalorian is the culture. So yeah the race/culture is what it has always been. They've always been warring clans that are known for being badasses.
You're right, the word I meant to use was "ethnic" rather than genetic. In the same way that we might make a distinction between someone who is ethnically Jewish and someone who is religiously Jewish. I think there certainly was a race/ethnicity of people who were called Mandalorians, but that there are also probably many members of Mandalorian tribes who are not ethnic Mandalorians but were absorbed into the tribe as refugees, "converts", whatever else you might want to call them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I tend to agree, although I will make an exception for the darksaber. It's got big history in the Mandalorian culture, plus it looks badass.
But this was wielded by a Mandalorian Jedi, right? Do non-Jedi ever use them?

For me, it just takes away from the mystique of the lightsaber if any rando Mandalorian can wield a darksaber. (As cool as they look.)

But this is a problem I've had dating back to ROTS, with Grievous' guards. I hated the fact that suddenly there was droids that could go up against a lightsaber. (And later stormtroopers.)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Champ Bailey said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But this was wielded by a Mandalorian Jedi, right? Do non-Jedi ever use them?

For me, it just takes away from the mystique of the lightsaber if any rando Mandalorian can wield a darksaber. (As cool as they look.)

But this is a problem I've had dating back to ROTS, with Grievous' guards. I hated the fact that suddenly there was droids that could go up against a lightsaber. (And later stormtroopers.)

Originally, but it was used by Mandalorian soldiers before to unite the world, a la Excalibur.

From it's Wookiepedia:

Quote:

I didn't know Mandalorians developed a type of lightsaber."
"We didn't, this was one of a kind. Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. After his passing, the Jedi kept the saber in their temple. That was until members of House Vizsla snuck in and liberated it. They used the saber to unify the people and strike down those who would oppose them. At one time, they ruled all of Mandalore wielding this blade. This saber is an important symbol to that house and respected by the other clans.

Plus, watching a guy wearing a jet pack fly around with a black lightsaber is just objectively awesome.
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I dunno, I actually think that if the Jedi have been using lightsabers for thousands of years that if nobody else had come up with anything that could counter them it would be a little ridiculous.

There aren't a lot of Jedi, so it's not like they get to try out their ideas very often, but I kind of like the idea that each time there's an encounter the opposition is trying something new to combat the lightsabers.
Urban Ag
AG
redline248
AG
Quote:

But this is a problem I've had dating back to ROTS, with Grievous' guards. I hated the fact that suddenly there was droids that could go up against a lightsaber.

Let's be honest, those droids didn't really have a chance.

edit: and I think the vibroblade type weapon being resistant to lightsabers has been around, at least in legends, for a long time. Wasn't really new to ROTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just two days away from episode 2. What a week.
Dro07
AG
have these patches been discussed yet?

Similar patch to Boba Fett while in Kamino
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I haven't read every post, but there's an interesting theory going around that may or may not have been discussed here...

We've talked about how the Yoda species potentially only gives birth when the Force needs it. And we know that this newest "baby" is 50 years old, which we also know puts it being born nine years before the events of The Phantom Menace. Well, you know who is exactly nine years old at the time of TPM? Anakin Skywalker. So, under this theory, Anakin was "created" (potentially by Palpatine) and so the Force responded in kind by "creating" this new Yoda baby.

If true, I love this theory even more.
TCTTS
AG
They're trying to clone the Yoda baby, no doubt.
Dro07
AG
it was touched upon by Spreedsheet and myself but just saying there was a correlation in age with Vader.
Flashdiaz
AG
so when does baby yoda morph into Rey?
The Collective
AG
Baby Yoda is the another in "No, there is another".
Dro07
AG
I was just thinking how true that was
bobinator
AG
I personally think this theory is ridiculous. Every time there's a need for a correction in the balance of the force it spits out one of these creatures that takes AT LEAST A CENTURY to reach the age where it's old enough to do anything?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

I personally think this theory is ridiculous. Every time there's a need for a correction in the balance of the force it spits out one of these creatures that takes AT LEAST A CENTURY to reach the age where it's old enough to do anything?

Hey Han.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So apparently Beskar Steel is strong enough to even repel slashes from lightsaber blades. It can't survive a stab though. That's some tough stuff.
Flashdiaz
AG
is this what Vader uses in his armor because it resisted Luke's slash in ESB.

either that or Luke has his saber set to stun... would explain why no one lost their limbs on Jabba's barge in ROTJ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Given that you didn't quote said post, I'm going to assume you are lying.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

I haven't read every post, but there's an interesting theory going around that may or may not have been discussed here...

We've talked about how the Yoda species potentially only gives birth when the Force needs it. And we know that this newest "baby" is 50 years old, which we also know puts it being born nine years before the events of The Phantom Menace. Well, you know who is exactly nine years old at the time of TPM? Anakin Skywalker. So, under this theory, Anakin was "created" (potentially by Palpatine) and so the Force responded in kind by "creating" this new Yoda baby.

So anakin was created to bring balance to the force by offsetting the creation of yoda?
redline248
AG
2 different sabers, so maybe Luke hadn't fine tuned the power level on the green, yet. Safe to assume Vader had some sort of reinforced armor. Or maybe just the quick type swing of Luke's attack didn't have enough force to cut through, or his accuracy was off and it just glanced off the armor...

Or maybe the OT didn't decide to go full on dismemberment like the prequels
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

So anakin was created to bring balance to the force by offsetting the creation of yoda?

Darth Plagueis manipulated the force to bring about what he THOUGHT was needed to balance the force, Anakin.

the Force then balanced this by creating baby Yoda.

My theory is that the end result of baby Yoda ( whatever happens to him in the show) leads to ...... Rey.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I could be, but I will continue to assume you are lying.
bobinator
AG
I think we need to at least tighten up our theories here.

This part isn't a theory, this is a canon fact right? (EDIT: I guess this is technically a theory... but there's about as much evidence for this as there is anything in Star Wars) - Sidious did not create Anakin to "balance the force." He created him (presumably) to bring about the end of the Jedi. He knew of the Jedi prophecy and that the Jedi would THINK that he is the one meant to balance the force and take him in, allowing him to ultimately bring them down from within.

The theory is that Yoda's race is created by the force when necessary to restore balance, so this theory posits that the force was aware that it was being manipulated by the dark side, so at the same that the dark side was used to create a life, so to was the light. So at the same time Anakin Skywalker was born, so was this Yoda baby.

But I find the yoda race theory to be crazy. The force's way of balancing itself is to hatch out the slowest developing race in the galaxy? The entire empire rose and fell during this baby's life so far. Like calling 911 and them dispatching a baby that will be born in ten years to help.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
who said they were good writers

Yeah the Jedi thought one thing about what bringing balance to the Force, where the Force thought something else.

And whomever manipulated the force to make Anakin did if for a different reason as well. ( ie not to bring Balance unless that person actually understood what it seemingly meant ie kill most everyone off)

But the baby Yoda stuff is just to try and make sense to a cool character that just popped up and put in backstory that we seemingly have never gotten officially.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
bobinator said:

I think we need to at least tighten up our theories here.

This part isn't a theory, this is a canon fact right? (EDIT: I guess this is technically a theory... but there's about as much evidence for this as there is anything in Star Wars) - Sidious did not create Anakin to "balance the force." He created him (presumably) to bring about the end of the Jedi. He knew of the Jedi prophecy and that the Jedi would THINK that he is the one meant to balance the force and take him in, allowing him to ultimately bring them down from within.

The theory is that Yoda's race is created by the force when necessary to restore balance, so this theory posits that the force was aware that it was being manipulated by the dark side, so at the same that the dark side was used to create a life, so to was the light. So at the same time Anakin Skywalker was born, so was this Yoda baby.

But I find the yoda race theory to be crazy. The force's way of balancing itself is to hatch out the slowest developing race in the galaxy? The entire empire rose and fell during this baby's life so far. Like calling 911 and them dispatching a baby that will be born in ten years to help.

All the more reason for less restrictions to be able to open carry light sabers. When the dark side rises the force is only decades away.
Ag Since 83
AG
Maybe the Force knows it's gonna take centuries to clean up the mess Anakin creates so the being it creates better be in it for the long haul.

But yeah, this would be a big question if they go that route
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If we buy into the theory that the force created this baby Yoda, what's the explanation for Yaddle?

Yoda was still alive when she was born. I guess there must have been some crazy spike in dark side activity about 500 years prior to TPM, even though the Sith were thought to be extinct.
lunchbox
dromo07 said:

have these patches been discussed yet?

Similar patch to Boba Fett while in Kamino
When that dude came into the room, for a second I thought it was the Imperial pilot defector from Rogue One...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.