*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,529 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
exitone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really, the only options are (in order of likelihood) -

Cobb Vanth
The ex- Imperial from the first few episodes
Cad Bane
Gina's character
Boba Fett

With the way they are building out these stories, this goes left unresolved.
exitone
AG
I really thought Baby Yoda was going to lead us into TROS in some small way, but since it comes out Thursday / Friday and there are 2 episodes left and they haven't really developed his story since week 2, I admit I was completely wrong. I still think the story and universe building factor is too great here, so I wonder if somehow they are going to try and tie all their Disney+ stuff together. I wonder if this will flash back somehow to the Obi Wan series and one of his side quests has something to do withBaby Yoda.
YouBet
AG
Is Cad Bane rumored to be in anything beyond Clone Wars? That would be pretty cool if so. I"m still way behind on CW, but I've seen a few episodes now with him. Like his character.
Rudyjax
AG
So if BY is 50, how old would he be in ROS?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I've been drinking so the best guess I have is eleventy.
jabberwalkie09
AG
exitone said:

With the way they are building out these stories, this goes left unresolved.

For this season maybe, but if Filoni is involved in overall direction I'd expect an answer at some point.
caleblyn
Thanks
rynning
AG
Only two episodes left? I thought we were just getting started.
redline248
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

So if BY is 50, how old would he be in ROS?

Still less than 100.

Who is Cobb Vanth?
Show seems to be steering clear of using existing characters from other SW properties.
Kate Beckett
AG
Yeah of this season. Season 2 filming already
exitone
AG
YouBet said:

Is Cad Bane rumored to be in anything beyond Clone Wars? That would be pretty cool if so. I"m still way behind on CW, but I've seen a few episodes now with him. Like his character.

No, no rumors. But behind Ahsoka, Cad Bane is Filoni's favorite form what I hear. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to work him in somehow.
jabberwalkie09
AG
exitone said:

YouBet said:

No, no rumors. But behind Ahsoka, Cad Bane is Filoni's favorite form what I hear. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to work him in somehow.

I think there was some EU stuff with Cad Bane that enhanced his popularity prior to the Disney acquisition. Other popular characters from TCW besides Ahsoka were Rex and Hondo. Rex, Ahsoka, and Hondo all appeared in Rebels.

There's still a dangling thread left over from Rebels with Ahsoka and Sabine going to search for Ezra post Battle of Endor. I don't know if we will get that story any time soon though.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
My main hope for The Mandalorian season 2 is we get more of an overarching narrative. Maybe I'm spoiled by the storytelling in The Watchmen, but the largely disconnect episodic nature of Mandalorian season one is my one disappointment.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. It honestly has me a little worried for the future of SW on Disney+. I can't tell if this will be the format for all shows going forward, or if Favreau just isn't a great match, script-wise / they went super episodic because they felt it best for this particular story. Because I can't imagine the Obi-Wan series going this route.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Right there with you. It honestly has me a little worried for the future of SW on Disney+. I can't tell if this will be the format for all shows going forward, or if Favreau just isn't a great match, script-wise / they went super episodic because they felt it best for this particular story. Because I can't imagine the Obi-Wan series going this route.

Obi Wan is a miniseries, so it will be an overarching story for sure.
AliasMan02
AG
Episode 6 ruled. It looked very different than other episodes and probably the least "like Star Wars," but it was a great episode. Mando kicking ass, looking like he killed the other crew only to find out he didn't. A great team-up sort of episode that left a lot for later. And great guest stars to boot.

As a connoisseur of droids, btw, I thought Zero was a really cool one.

This series is basically Firefly. You have the episodic nature with a lot of mysterious backstory and an overarching mystery in Baby Yoda that echoes that of River Tam. Some of the episodes co next directly and some are more standalone. Lots of allies and enemies left in Mando's wake that will come back up later. Even a lot of the aesthetic is the same, which makes sense because Firefly borrowed so heavily from Star Wars.

Loving the ride. I expect the last couple of episodes to be connected both to each other and to the overall Baby Yoda plot.
AliasMan02
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

My main hope for The Mandalorian season 2 is we get more of an overarching narrative. Maybe I'm spoiled by the storytelling in The Watchmen, but the largely disconnect episodic nature of Mandalorian season one is my one disappointment.

Other Star Wars series have tightened up from season to season and spent less time on side tangents. Would make sense here as well.
dave94
AG
I think just being in the Star Wars world and having these self-contained stories within it has been great.

I was a huge fan of the X-files and while the mythology episodes were so great, the inbetween cases created a larger palette that was awesome to explore.

If every Star Wars, Marvel, etc. series sets up with this established TV structure, I think it only helps.

I do understand that only having an 8-part first season makes it a little more frustrating, but every moment of the Mando's journey isn't going to have extreme global-sized effects. And that's okay to me.

They've still kept the overarching narrative (breaking from the Guild to protect the Child) as a key plot point in every episode.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Considering the revolt from fans on the lack of story arc with the final trilogy, surely they learned from that and are not repeating it here. Maybe it really is just the nature of this particular series to be more episodic.
Ag Since 83
AG
Favreau wrote the first 4 which were part of a continuous arc. He did not write 5 or 6, but is returning for the last two so hopefully that means they are returning to the main arc
rhutton125
AG
I thought all the crew (except the droid) sucked, for the most part. Glad Mando hunted them down.
bobinator
AG
It's just the feeling of last episode versus the first three episodes. Like, either could make for a great TV show, but having them both in only an eight episode season just feels weird.

The other thing is you could deal with an episodic show if there was even a nod to the larger arc. Even an occasional line of dialogue that Mando is at least considering some kind of longer term plan might be enough.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Favreau wrote the first 4 which were part of a continuous arc. He did not write 5 or 6, but is returning for the last two so hopefully that means they are returning to the main arc

Didn't realize that was the case, but confirms the exact suspicions I mentioned in this thread. He had about a movie's worth of story, then they decided to add some filler and stretch it into a season of television.

It hasn't necessarily been bad (except for ep 5 imo), but it definitely does feel this way.
Rudyjax
AG
The show is the Mandolarian.
AgfromHOU
AG
rhutton125 said:

I thought all the crew (except the droid) sucked, for the most part. Glad Mando hunted them down.

The droid sounded like the guy with the glasses from Flight of the Concords
Sex Panther
AG
AgfromHOU said:

rhutton125 said:

The droid sounded like the guy with the glasses from Flight of the Concords

It was this guy

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

Mandalorian*, but yes. What's your point?
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Episode 6 sure seemed to pull a lot of 'inspiration' from DC. From Harley Quinn to Hellboy and Black Manta, it really seemed derivative.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
Finally watched episode 6! Holy **** I loved it!

I couldn't help but cheer when the x-wings showed up! So awesome!
Rudyjax
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Foxymophandlemama said:

Mandalorian*, but yes. What's your point?

It's a show about Mando. A old western style. Firefly.

Enjoy what they give you.
redline248
AG
If you enjoy what you're given, good for you. If others aren't as satisfied, that's fine too.
Rudyjax
AG
redline248 said:

If you enjoy what you're given, good for you. If others aren't as satisfied, that's fine too.

And if you don't enjoy it, don't watch.
redline248
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

redline248 said:

And if you don't enjoy it, don't watch.

That's 2 posts in a row that you've told people what they should do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.