*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,546 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Maybe it was Palpatine's backup plan if the baby he created using the force didn't work out?
I still contend that Palpatine creating Anakin through the force is up for debate. A vision sequence in a comic (in which Shmi is already super preggo) hardly settles anything, imo.
bobinator
AG
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure on that myself. I was just offering a theory that might coincide with that one.

Maybe Palpatine had a plan a and a plan b, with plan b being a much longer term play because of how yoda's species develops.
bobinator
AG
I'm becoming more and more convinced though that what we're seeing in The Mandalorian is going to give some context to the Rise of Skywalker.
The Collective
AG
The episode coming up this week is directed & written by Filoni.

Rudyjax
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Sorry. I don't follow much I guess. Why is this significant?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Directed the pilot episode. Creator of The Clone Wars. Generally considered the most knowledgeable creative mind at Lucasfilm.
redline248
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

I Have Spoken said:

Sorry. I don't follow much I guess. Why is this significant?
He directed the Pilot episode, but more importantly he is the most responsible for The Clone Wars and Rebels series.
Farmer1906
AG
He was also a big part of Avatar. It is a fantastic little cartoon.
Rudyjax
AG
Ahhh. I know who he is. I thought maybe it was a 1 name person.

I've never watched the cartoons. Worth watching?
bonfarr
AG
bobinator said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced though that what we're seeing in The Mandalorian is going to give some context to the Rise of Skywalker.

Wouldn't that be difficult considering there were reportedly three re-writes of ROS? The final re-write supposedly was done by Lucas after filming had commenced and the movie was screen tested.and the audience laughed at the ending. The studio was pissed and brought Lucas in to save it and he created a new secret Skywalker if the rumors could be believed.

With all of the turmoil and change I can't imagine they were able to link this series with anything from the Skywalker movie.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
TCTTS
AG
I'll direct you to my post in the TROS thread...

Quote:

Who the *****watches videos like this? I'm not ripping you, jokershady, I'm talking about the people who subscribe to sh*t like this and serve as that clown's "audience." Seriously, what the hell is up with that whole Power Ranger-looking villain costume? What is going on???

As for the test screening report itself... total and utter bullsh*t. This movie is NOT test screening. Do people really think they'd show the unfinished, spoiler-filled final installment of the Skywalker Saga to SIX test audiences "months" before it releases publicly? There's too much of a risk of the entire plot leaking, and they're critic-proof anyways. How would these "sources" even get these scores in the first place? And the way he describes isn't even how test screenings score audience reactions in the first place. Also, where did the firm conducting all these test screenings find all these Star Wars fans who watched the movie but haven't even hinted about seeing it in the months since it screened?

Everything this idiot is peddling is pure, clickbait trash.

Man, this kind of crap makes my blood boil.

In other words, please don't believe the crap you see/hear in those ridiculous YouTube videos. There were no test screenings, the movie is not in "turmoil," and Lucas was not brought in to save it.
bonfarr
AG
I read it on the internet it has to be true.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Hulla Baller
AG
bonfarr said:

I read it on the internet it has to be true.

This is the way.
Malachi Constant
AG
This is the way.
Yoda
AG
I really loved episode 4, so I'm surprised to see more than a few who felt it was a weak installment. This was your classic old west tale of the small town farmers who beg a hired gun to save them from local bandits. Seven Samurai, Three Amigos, A Bug's Life, and many others have used the setup in creative ways.

Positives:
  • That chicken walker sequence was amazing. Seeing it light up with the red eyes/windows and then chase our heroes t-Rex style, chills.
  • Baby Yoda playing with the kids
  • I liked the female shock trooper character
  • Regular-Joe farmers felt like true everyday common folk. Them, the waitress.... I like seeing the people who aren't at all part of the Jedi/Empire/underground bounty hunter crowd. Remind you that our characters are special... even in their world.
  • The logistics and cinematography of the battle scene were first-rate.
  • We learned more about Mando's history and the rules of his tribe. So, he can take off the mask, just not in front of others.
  • Lastly, the potential romance was believable. I liked how the shock trooper actually articulated what the normal person is thinking when asked Mando why he wouldn't leave the armor behind, stay with the beautiful woman, and enjoy a quiet life?

Look forward to this every week.
tk for tu juan
Yoda has spoken
The Way This Is
Hey...so.. um
Agree with Yoda, I do.

Those are all great points and I really liked the episode as well. I do feel like the fob thing needs to be explained. Several posters had explanations that I can buy, I just wish they would have taken 5 minutes and explained them.
amercer
AG
I assume they'll explain the tracker eventually. Probably something like this:

Mando: Silently facing bounty hunter 2 (an old friend)

Bounty hunter 2: "so why does the kid have a tracker on him, those are only supposed to be put on criminals"

Mando: "don't know"

Bounty hunter 2: "well at least they are short range, and only work if you are on the same planet"

Mando: ....

Baby Yoda: nods slowly
Hagen95
AG
If you ask too hard for an explanation, you end up with midichlorians.
The Collective
AG
On the importance of Baby Yoda to the Empire remnants.
bobinator
AG
I'm not even sure if 'weak' is the right word, because like I said it has some really good parts... it just felt... I dunno, 'off' I guess. When it ended my wife and I both were like 'that was kinda weird.'

If I had to nail down one thing that just seemed odd it was how quickly the relationships formed between the characters on this episode. I know that's the nature of the show, but it just seemed like a feature-length movies worth of character development in like 10 minutes. This lady on the planet decides in like 20 seconds she wants to settle down with a guy who won't take off his helmet?

The whole thing just rang a little weird to me.
bobinator
AG
Hagen95 said:

If you ask too hard for an explanation, you end up with midichlorians.
The problem is that several (most?) of our plot points in the Star Wars universe have been created because of people trying to find other people, and now suddenly that seems kinda easy to do? Just some kind of quick off-hand explanation would be fine.

Omera: "How did they find you?"
Mando: "He had a tracking fob, but those only work when you get close... I don't know how they tracked us to this planet"
Cara: "You walked into town in full beskar armor with a baby yoda... not exactly keeping a low profile..."
amercer
AG
I assumed there was a good deal of montage time lapse going on in that episode.
bobinator
AG
There was, but that's also part of why it kind of felt weird. We had no real sense of how long they'd been there.
Yoda
AG
That's a fair point. She did fall for him pretty darn fast. Guess I bought it because:

1. She has already seen all her small village had to offer and apparently passed on those options.
2. Single mom looking for a someone who can father her daughter. She sees how he cares about Baby Yoda, and that is clearly a foster dad situation.
3. Protection. Every girl wants to feel safe when she is around her guy. Now, this lady clearly has more of a backstory given how she can wield a laser. "Game recognizes game."
4. Women like mystery men who they can fix. Who is more damaged than an exciting stranger who literally can't bring himself to drop his guard/mask around others?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So far, this is how I'd rank the episodes:

2, 3, 4, 1
bobinator
AG
I mean #1 is a really good point. If it's Pillboy or 'random other,' most people are probably taking other.
bonfarr
AG
bobinator said:

I'm not even sure if 'weak' is the right word, because like I said it has some really good parts... it just felt... I dunno, 'off' I guess. When it ended my wife and I both were like 'that was kinda weird.'

If I had to nail down one thing that just seemed odd it was how quickly the relationships formed between the characters on this episode. I know that's the nature of the show, but it just seemed like a feature-length movies worth of character development in like 10 minutes. This lady on the planet decides in like 20 seconds she wants to settle down with a guy who won't take off his helmet?

The whole thing just rang a little weird to me.

No kidding, what if he finally takes the helmet off and he is a fugly SOB, does she just go oh **** sorry I made a mistake?
bobinator
AG
I do think I just talked myself into a theory, and it's that The Mandalorian will take off his helmet/armor because it draws too much attention. He's going to do it to protect baby yoda.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So far, this is how I'd rank the episodes:

2, 3, 4, 1

I'll go 3, 2, 1, 4. 3 is my favorite, the others are all clustered pretty closely together for me. Enjoyable show so far.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Dumb question so sorry if already discussed.

Doesn't Pedro Pascal have a thick accent?
Is that his voice?

Never mind. He doesn't have one.
bonfarr
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

Is that his voice?

That is his voice .
Ag Since 83
AG
I think I'd go 2, 4, 3, 1 but they are all really close
Rudyjax
AG
bonfarr said:

Foxymophandlemama said:

Is that his voice?

That is his voice .

Apparently my pop culture knowledge is null since turning 40. I've only seen him in GoT and assumed that was his accent.

Ask me anything about the 80s.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.