*** THE MANDALORIAN - Season 1 ***

331,531 Views | 2480 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
right, new subscriptions are one thing, retaining them is another.

Makes sense about HBO and other streaming series. I just want them to be able to justify the budgets (and actor salaries) to keep making good stuff.
AliasMan02
AG
I think the bigwigs like streaming partly because it gives them such great intelligence on what people watch. In the world of Big Data they know (in theory) how to manufacture winners because they understand what people like or don't like. Again, in theory.
Duncan Idaho
This first year, as people get their nostalgia fix and work their way through the back catalog, they might be able to hold off having at least one anchor show running at all times.

But after that, they need to have a reason to hang around for the 6 months between mandalorian and marvel seasons.
Duncan Idaho
That isnt theory...that is fact
Saxsoon
AG
I took a marketing data analytics class last quarter for my mba. Shared an article with the professor with what Disney is already doing in their parks with the magic bands. The professor was impressed and slightly horrified and said he would absolutely be using it as an example in next years class. Disney is just getting its toes wet in that type of stuff and they are gonna wield a lot of power with it
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
JCRiley09
AG
You also don't have to appeal to the largest audience possible. Sure, some people joined Disney+ for Mandalorian, but the show is also subsidized by other subscribers who want to stream frozen and finding dory for their kids - movies that are already paid for ten times over by box office
Koldus131
AG
Saxsoon said:

I took a marketing data analytics class last quarter for my mba. Shared an article with the professor with what Disney is already doing in their parks with the magic bands. The professor was impressed and slightly horrified and said he would absolutely be using it as an example in next years class. Disney is just getting its toes wet in that type of stuff and they are gonna wield a lot of power with it

Care to share the article?
AliasMan02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

That isnt theory...that is fact

I meant theory just because they haven't quite mailed the formula yet. Netflix has tons of data but still produces a lot of failures.
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

AggieChemist
AG
I joined for the Mandalorian and dropped the sub after Ep 8. I have all the Star wars stuff either on DVD or in my Prime streaming account.

If I was younger and had small kids it would probably be worth keeping a sub. But I own all of the star wars franchise stuff besides lego and clone wars.

I'll pick it back up next fall.
Gangnam Style
AG
AggieChemist said:

I joined for the Mandalorian and dropped the sub after Ep 8. I have all the Star wars stuff either on DVD or in my Prime streaming account.

If I was younger and had small kids it would probably be worth keeping a sub. But I own all of the star wars franchise stuff besides lego and clone wars.

I thought I would be in the same boat, but getting D+ motivated me to finally finish the last few seasons of Clone Wars. Can't wait for Season 7 in Feb!
AliasMan02
AG
I'm lazily working my way back through Rebels again and it is sooooo good.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'm lazily working my way back through Rebels again and it is sooooo good.

It is a great rewatch. The story is built really well, and some of the "filler" is my favorite SW material.
bluefire579
AG
I'll be right there with you once I finish my CW rewatch. I've definitely enjoyed CW more the second time through and expect the same to happen with Rebels.
YouBet
AG
Gangnam Style said:

AggieChemist said:

I thought I would be in the same boat, but getting D+ motivated me to finally finish the last few seasons of Clone Wars. Can't wait for Season 7 in Feb!

This is why I'm keeping it. Im very slowly chipping away at Clone Wars. I'm about halfway through Season 3. I watch an episode every time I hop on the bike at the gym. Good way to watch it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My plan was to dive into Clone Wars after Mandalorian ended (assuming it would be a slow time for TV), but I just started Witcher and now need to watch that whole thing. And Messiah looks very intriguing and I may do that next.

Guess I'll need to find the time.
Texaggie7nine
For the cartoon series, I have never really watched a full episode of either series. Do they honestly have content that adults would appreciate or are you just putting up with content made for kids to get the cannon from it?
7nine
powerbelly
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

For the cartoon series, I have never really watched a full episode of either series. Do they honestly have content that adults would appreciate or are you just putting up with content made for kids to get the cannon from it?
It is made for and aimed at kids as much as the movies were/are.
Texaggie7nine
powerbelly said:

Texaggie7nine said:

So they just have one or two characters for kids and the rest have adult interactions and relationships?

I mean, I don't imagine seeing something like this on nick toons.

7nine
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My plan was to dive into Clone Wars after Mandalorian ended (assuming it would be a slow time for TV), but I just started Witcher and now need to watch that whole thing. And Messiah looks very intriguing and I may do that next.

Guess I'll need to find the time.
i didn't watch CW the first time around, so i found a "suggested viewing order" and i'm going by that. it's fun, but man, there's a lot of episodes
powerbelly
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

powerbelly said:

Texaggie7nine said:

So they just have one or two characters for kids and the rest have adult interactions and relationships?

They torture a jedi to death in one of the episodes. Lots of violence and death.
gougler08
AG
Can you download episodes on Disney+ for plane watching? I've never watched Rebels but will be traveling a decent amount in 2020 and will need something to watch
Texaggie7nine
powerbelly said:

Texaggie7nine said:

powerbelly said:

Texaggie7nine said:

They torture a jedi to death in one of the episodes. Lots of violence and death.
Then yes. That's all I was asking. I mean, it was on a cartoon channel so I assumed it had to be G rated or something. I might give them a shot.
7nine
PatAg
AG
I could have sworn I read a WSJ article as well, but I remembered this one.
https://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/

And some hospital's are also using very similar tech now, as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Having been a passholder at Disney World for the past year, I can tell you that those magicbands were a fantastic investment for Disney, in the long run.

It's so much easier to spend money at Disney parks when all you have to do is tap your wrist on the sensor. I guarantee there is at least a double digit increase in food/merchandise sales with these things.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, my current office-mate worked at Disney, on that specific project. (Magicbands.)
PatAg
AG
I believe it, it makes everything seem very seamless.
The Collective
AG
CW gets pretty dark and stories are not easy to follow for kids.
redline248
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Here's just 1 video talking about scary moments from the clone wars. Granted, they may not all seem really scary, but in the lens of a kid show, they might be a little dark. Some of the later seasons are straight up not kid appropriate, imo

JCRiley09
AG
I watched an episode of the Mandalorian downloaded on a plane. I think you can download any of the content. Check your settings though. I think it downloads lower quality by default
tamusc
AG
PatAg said:

And some hospital's are also using very similar tech now, as well.

Yep, we use RFID patient hands to track patient locations and workflow. It's great for tracking procedure times, delays, and automatically notifying patient families.
bluefire579
AG
gougler08 said:

Can you download episodes on Disney+ for plane watching? I've never watched Rebels but will be traveling a decent amount in 2020 and will need something to watch
I believe you can
213 Grove
AG
Yes you can. I did when I was traveling to Paris and worked fine
YouBet
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I found that Clone Wars starts out G to PG but then gets more adult as you go. Also, if you are going to watch it follow the guide here because they released the episodes way the hell out of order in some case which makes no damn sense:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder
gougler08
AG
Thanks guys

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.