*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,182 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Pretty meh first two episodes, by this show's standards IMO.

disagree completely. it's not funny stuff and it's not action oriented really except the last 2 mins.....

but to me it is some deep seated emotional stuff going on for jimmy and kim in particular. his actions are not rational in a way - he is grieving and acting out and yet burying things at the same time
- his way to just jump in job looking is an escape mechanism
- his reaction to the job offer was bizarre
- his seeing the criminal opportunity in the little figurines and enlisting Mike is telling, while also burying some guilt about his former elder law misgivings
- her keeping things from him is a way of protecting him but also causing some separation
- their physical/sexual outburst at the end is a natural coping mechanism

I mean I get that this is a bit of a slow burn right now - and i've been one to blast this show for not getting to Saul fast enough and tiring of the brother issues ad nauseam.... but i think this is fantastic. i think we could not have seen a believable transformation if we did not see him go through ALL of that. and now it is paying dividends we will see pay off in a big way.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The exact same complaint happens every single season, several times. I'm 100% with you. Great episode.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Kim was a bad ass in this episode.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Great episode. Tension of some sort in almost every scene.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I saw that as him being disgusted by how easily they were pushed around, just like his dad and his store. He just couldn't work there if they were such a soft touch.
expresswrittenconsent
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I saw that as him being disgusted by how easily they were pushed around, just like his dad and his store. He just couldn't work there if they were such a soft touch.

That's a great take.
Mostly during that scene I was cringing at Jimmy's actions, but I was also trying to place the manager.
He is Charlie's pedo uncle/lawyer with tiny hands from always sunny.
Complete Idiot

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Yeah, that's how I saw it - he couldn't respect such easily manipulated saps. I think this may also be leading to how he comes to work for people like Mike and Gus - he can't bull**** those guys. Maybe like he couldn't bull**** his brother.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jimmy's dismantling of the copier sales guys

Quote:

Jimmy goes to Neff Copiers. And this was fascinating to us. And for me, the most rewarding moments in the writers' room are when the character suddenly does something that we're not expecting, but that, as we examine it, it feels right. And then we start to understand why he or she has done this thing that seemed illogical to us at first. And Jimmy seems to be - I mean, there's a lot of different ways to read that scene, but it's clear that something has happened to him. There's a change in him when he talks these guys into hiring him, and it's a little bit ambiguous. I mean, there's a lot of ways you can look at it. I don't think I want to nail it down too much, but one of the things that we always talked about was that old Groucho Marx phrase, "I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have me." So I think that there's a lot going on with Jimmy there, but it's not expressed in words as much as in action.
From one of the showrunners
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Yes but he could have just walked away - he wanted to do that to them for some reason. He knew early on they were saps and he could have just left...he almost did. He wanted to push them around and then show them up.

The Milkman
AG
I took that more as Jimmy proving to himself that he could get any job he wanted.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I don't know about that - we didn't see his other interviews that day but he told Kim the others went ok and he thought he might get calls back.

He didn't (apparently) do that to the other places he talked to - or it didn't work if he did. We don't really know how those others went but he didn't get a job.

And all he told her about that place was that they made an offer but it wasn't the right place for him.

Complete Idiot
When he went back and knocked on the office door I thought he was going in to lift the Hummel
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The copier scene was Jimmy's "say my name" moment.
Callate Donnie

Complete Idiot said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Quote:

Just my opinion but I do have to say that while the machine gun scene was hugely satisfying and fun, it was also the most unrealistic and almost cheesy action movie moment in the series. Don't get me wrong - I liked it and it fit in a series finale OK but it was a bit out of character for the series.

That was awesome.
Burdizzo
AG
No dummies made from ballistic gel?

Serious Lee
The Milkman said:

I took that more as Jimmy proving to himself that he could get any job he wanted.
i took it as him realizing the only way hes going to get ahead in life is to be slippin' jimmy/Saul. James the good guy doesnt get hired, and always gets screwed over.
oragator
I didn't see it as terribly complicated, given his history he doesn't like or respect saps, and certainly wouldn't work for one. I didn't see it as much more than that.
Burdizzo
AG
oragator said:

I didn't see it as terribly complicated, given his history he doesn't like or respect saps, and certainly wouldn't work for one. I didn't see it as much more than that.

That was my takeaway. The indicator was how he called them suckers as he turned and walked away. He would never respect himself working there even while his law license was suspended.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My favorite part of that scene was when Jimmy said he worked with the color printer when he was in Chicago, and then expressed surprise/outrage when the Neff manager told him that people used it to print counterfeit $5's.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

My favorite part of that scene was when Jimmy said he worked with the color printer when he was in Chicago, and then expressed surprise/outrage when the Neff manager told him that people used it to print counterfeit $5's.
Loved that too. It's funny when the writers get one of those little digs in there.
CW Griswold
This answers several of the questions from the episode

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

NM
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

That was bugging me trying to recognize him without the mustache.

Solid episode. Great to see Gus in action again, instilling fear.
tamuags08
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

That's a great take.
Mostly during that scene I was cringing at Jimmy's actions, but I was also trying to place the manager.

Cromagnum
AG
I didn't get the copy corner scene.

Kim was a brute.

Gus doesn't like Lydia much.

Viktor got owned.
Liquid Wrench
Would anyone care to refresh me on Gus's relationship with Madrigal? The wikia stuff I've read online is pretty vague. I remember the fallout in the fifth season, but don't know how much detail the show ever went into about the relationship or how Gus set that up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Madrigal seemed to be an investor in Gus' operation as well as used for distribution in Europe. This included providing cover via Los Pollos Hermanos (Madrigal owned it) along with the rest of the business being convenient to for laundering $, procuring equipment, shipping product, etc. Basically a multinational, diverse business where it would be easy to hide all sorts of activity. What isn't really known is to who at Madrigal was involved. Definitely some key execituves.

They never mapped it out in detail.
johnnyblaze36
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

That's a great take.
That's it! I just finished watching Glow last week and was only recognizing from that but knew I'd seen him in something else and couldn't place it until I read this.
expresswrittenconsent
The BCS podcast mentioned that the two guys from the copier sales place were/are a comedy duo. I wasnt really clear on the next part but I think they said the duo knew odenkirk from back in the Mr Show days.
Liquid Wrench
My googles says he's a groundling and is managed by Odenkirk's wife.
hurleyag
AG
Am I the only one who did a double take on the copier store secretary thinking it was Marie?
Know Your Enemy
AG
hurleyag said:

Am I the only one who did a double take on the copier store secretary thinking it was Marie?
Yes
AgGrad99
AG
I didnt understand the interview scene.
Quote:

That sort of makes sense...but he could have just walked off. He had a little light bulb moment, turned back around and put on that whole charade for seemingly no reason at all.

It would more like Jimmy's character to take the job, and screw them from the inside, than turn them down.

And it also doesn't make sense to make that big scene in their office, after you've commented on the figurines, and then go back and steal those same figurines. If i were them, the first person I'd think did it would be Jimmy.

Either way...great episode. That scene just confused me.
Philip J Fry
AG
I think it confused Jimmy too.
AgGrad99
AG
Also, help me out with something.

last episode, why did Jimmy's demeanor change when Howard told Jimmy about the house burning. Did it just alleviate Jimmy of guilt he was feeling? He was more upset thinking he caused it, than for the loss of his brother?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.