*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,127 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what the hell is up with the school supplies? I have no clue myself.
oragator
They worked in Big Rock Candy Mountain. I love this show sometimes.

For all the complaints about how poorly Skylar was written, they really have done a good job about making Kim a complex character. The way her backbone got up when the other lawye insulted Jimmy, despite her mixed feelings on Jimmy was great.
And Gus running his hand over the knife while talking about Hector was B.B. style.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
So much great stuff in this one.

• the Hector scene and Gus's observations
  • the Kim/Jimmy montage painted such a picture
  • seeing the lab like that
  • Jimmy at the party, Kim's reaction

this was one of those subtle ones that was full of stuff to payoff down the road. not the least of which was the Huell case - yep I finally think we got the thing that will be the pivot point on Kim/Jimmy going forward.

Did anyone else think when the car drove up just before the cop that it was Jesse Pinkman's??? it looked kinda similar at first glance and they were not showing the driver. then I thought it was Badger for a second with longer hair. felt like tease....again. then I thought the cop might be Hank big body build and out of focus when he got out of the car. Feels like they know we want that - although personally I have not been dying for it... just the possibility really hit me with those two. you knew a cop was coming at some point.
BenFiasco14
AG
I missed Huell so much. He's a national treasure.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

So much great stuff in this one.

• the Hector scene and Gus's observations
  • the Kim/Jimmy montage painted such a picture
  • seeing the lab like that
  • Jimmy at the party, Kim's reaction

this was one of those subtle ones that was full of stuff to payoff down the road. not the least of which was the Huell case - yep I finally think we got the thing that will be the pivot point on Kim/Jimmy going forward.

Did anyone else think when the car drove up just before the cop that it was Jesse Pinkman's??? it looked kinda similar at first glance and they were not showing the driver. then I thought it was Badger for a second with longer hair. felt like tease....again. then I thought the cop might be Hank big body build and out of focus when he got out of the car. Feels like they know we want that - although personally I have not been dying for it... just the possibility really hit me with those two. you knew a cop was coming at some point.
Jesse didn't get his red car until BB season 2.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, in real time, I was thinking the doc may pick up on what Hector did with the water. But once she didn't and then later pops the video camera out, you knew where that was heading. Such a great way to handle that aspect of the story.
Capstone
AG
Was that the same dish Gus made when he had Jesse over for dinner?
Old Tom Morris
Don't recall Jesse's, but I do think it's what he served Walt (paila marina)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Capstone said:

Was that the same dish Gus made when he had Jesse over for dinner?
I thought he had Walt over for dinner....and he said it was some "stew" but that could be paella i guess
Old Tom Morris
He had Jesse over too eventually, when Gus was trying to sew distrust between them (and Walt had decided to kill Gus). Jesse could have potentially poisoned Gus at that meal (at least in Walt's eyes), but he didn't, which just made the divide with Walt grow. It may have been the same dish too, but don't recall.
GreasenUSA
AG
Uhhh, so did we finally get our first reference of Saul Goodman in the Better Call Saul timeline with the business cards at the beginning?
Capstone
AG
Right... meant Walt.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BB/BCS crew are masters of the montage and cold open.

Even better when it's both.
TXAG 05
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Uhhh, so did we finally get our first reference of Saul Goodman in the Better Call Saul timeline with the business cards at the beginning?

He went by Saul when he was selling/making those commercials
GreasenUSA
AG
Ah yes, completely forgot about that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Next week's episode is going to be a huge one.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

"I got places I can go. They never found D.B. Cooper".
Bobcat06
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

BenFiasco14 said:

"I got places I can go. They never found D.B. Cooper".

BB reference. Saul calls Walt D.B. Cooper at their first meeting.
GreasenUSA
AG
Probably just a D.B. Cooper reference.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's called an easter egg in the industry.
Old Tom Morris
So much going on bringing this closer to the Breaking Bad beginning. This was episode 37 of BCS and the season will conclude with #40, with the current assumption that it will run about 60 episodes. BB was 62 episodes, and Peter Gould has said that he doesn't see it running longer than BB and that there's some symmetry to having them be roughly the same length. I could also see a Season 5 "Final Season", that is actually two segments of 8-10 episodes, similar to what BB did.

Anyway, between the lab in mid-construction, the opening of Saul Goodman's law practice seemingly nearing, Hector entering his BB physical condition, and lots of Huell, last night definitely had me considering what that stretch run will look like.
JD Shellnut
AG
Yeah, we had a nice little time jump in this episode. 2004 now, I believe.
Complete Idiot
Yeah, we jumped a year, or nearly a year, in the opening montage - I was a bit surprised to see that.

It seems like Kim is fighting for Jimmy out of habit, almost against her instincts, at this point
UnderoosAg
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Yeah, we jumped a year, or nearly a year, in the opening montage - I was a bit surprised to see that.

I figured they did that to help Jimmy and Kim grow apart, and move the lab along, without movie magic.

The lab is behind schedule, and probably over budget, so they got that right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was the equivalent of the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" time jump in BB.
Complete Idiot
UnderoosAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

I figured they did that to help Jimmy and Kim grow apart, and move the lab along, without movie magic.

That reminds me, it was roughly an 8 month jump I guess - the project lead said "we've been at this 8 month and they can see we are not yet halfway done". I think.

No, it was a pretty heavy handed way to clearly show they are splitting apart.....given the screen was literally split. I just didn't anticipate the big time jump in this episode, but maybe should have since they wouldn't keep a lab build storyline going over a season I wouldn't think.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Only 3 more episodes this season??????
AgGrad99
AG
I wonder if Kim is helping Jimmy out, one last time...and then cutting him loose.

I'm hoping her idea is a legal one. I'll be pretty disappointed if she extends herself for Jimmy, and it ruins everything she's worked so hard for.
Old Tom Morris
I would assume it is a legal one, but that doesn't mean Jimmy might not take an unexpected left turn with it. Or it might take an unexpected turn of its own.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm still holding on to the "tragic ending" for them. I think Jimmy will be forced to choose between doing the right thing (Kim), and doing something not so legal, and he'll go the latter route. That'll be the last straw for Kim and that'll be the end of it.

It's gonna be a bitter end to their relationship.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Complete Idiot said:

UnderoosAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

That reminds me, it was roughly an 8 month jump I guess - the project lead said "we've been at this 8 month and they can see we are not yet halfway done". I think.

No, it was a pretty heavy handed way to clearly show they are splitting apart.....given the screen was literally split. I just didn't anticipate the big time jump in this episode, but maybe should have since they wouldn't keep a lab build storyline going over a season I wouldn't think.
Did he say they have been at it 8 months or that they thought it would take 8 months? I thought he didn't give a length of time they had been working but, I could have misheard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone else hoping Mike puts that German dude in his place? Guy is gonna sass Mike one too many times and he's gonna shut him up for good.
Old Tom Morris
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm still holding on to the "tragic ending" for them. I think Jimmy will be forced to choose between doing the right thing (Kim), and doing something not so legal, and he'll go the latter route. That'll be the last straw for Kim and that'll be the end of it.

It's gonna be a bitter end to their relationship.
I guess it depends on how one defines tragic. I've thought the odds weigh heavily on what we seem to be seeing now - a grow apart and then something drastic happens to fracture the relationship permanently. Maybe something that costs her the law career she's worked hard to build (legitimately). But I take tragic to mean more that something violent ends up happening to Kim, which I've thought that likelihood was low (although still possible).
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Complete Idiot said:

UnderoosAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

Did he say they have been at it 8 months or that they thought it would take 8 months? I thought he didn't give a length of time they had been working but, I could have misheard.

what he said was it was supposed to take 8 months and we are not even half done yet....

so we don't really know how much time has transpired. my guess was maybe 6-9 months and therefore they know they have another 6-9 or more - much more than the original 8 that was planned. So they would be getting depressed about the time now in complete isolation.

but the other thing mentioned in this episode about timeframe might narrow it down

At one point jimmy says 1 more month to go on his suspension from practicing law (in reference to then he could defend Huell himself). And it had been some amount of time (1 or 2 months?) since he was suspended and then got the job, dealing phones, etc.... then the montage time lapse which was several months at least.

So this would make sense

1 month so far this season before this episode
10 months jump
1 month to go

or

2 months so far this season before the jump
9 months jump
1 month to go

I don't think it was more than 2 months at most prior to the time jump. He got the job pretty quickly... she was still in the cast on her arm (6-8 weeks most likely)
Complete Idiot
Yup, sounds right - good work.

Dates may have been on some of those probation documents, but I only say the 2003 change to 2004.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.