*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,186 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milkman said:

I found it odd that a german guy in a bar didnt know how to pronounce hefeweissen. Maybe he didnt know what is is... but should have known how to say it
Belton Ag
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Mike is going to load them up in the truck when all that is left on the lab is minor stuff. He's going to have the back of the truck sealed and gas them on the way to a hole in the ground in the remote desert.
I'm not so sure. This could actually be the first real, serious conflict between Mike and Gus and sets up for some pretty high drama in the next couple episodes.

Mike has a pretty strict moral code at this point and executing these guys would really go over the line for him unless the show writers decide to have the Germans do something that pushes Mike to that.
Liquid Wrench
They've made a pretty strong point of the fact that Mike doesn't like to get close to people or stay close to people for very long. So they have him become chummy with the German engineer....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Milkman said:

I found it odd that a german guy in a bar didnt know how to pronounce hefeweissen

I was actually expecting the bar to be completely shut down - and all of the patrons, etc to be plants. Only the strippers would be rel and they would be paid off to stay quiet and not ask anything, etc. Easier to isolate them from the guys.

And actually I expected it to be daylight outside - i mean they work overnight so that is their day in effect. And so if they went out at night that would be during the day.

I thought we were going to see this bar scene and then they are blindfolded, led to the truck and it is daylight outside and wee see the bar was actually closed from the outside and it is middle of the day before they actually open.

I mean what is the point of all the keeping them inside the warehouse, if you are just going to drive them in regular vehicles to a bar at night - they can easily determine where they are then possibly.

Seems like they are completely lax now in keeping them "in the dark".... like i pointed out last week they know Mike and Gus's full names now too.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter if you are just going to kill them and the isolation is just to keep word from spreading about what they are doing - which is what Mike was upset about at the bar.

More and more seems that way - their isolation is to keep others clueless about what they are doing, not the workers....implying they are dead men.

Teddy Perkins
AG
Just seemed like a good way to take out z Germans. Also, I feel like there has been some foreshadowing with the transit truck. Just a wild guess, really.
aTmAg
AG
I think it might be hard to kill the Germans. I assume they have family back in Germany who know they went to work somewhere in America. If they never came back, then I'd expect the families to go to the German government who would then ask the American government. While they might not be able to find anybody, that would bring unwanted scrutiny.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Junkhead said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, once they started having Werner screw up in addition to Kai, I think their fate of being buried under the lab or the New Mexican desert seems to be more sealed.
Agreed. We will find out next week, though. The episode is titled Wiedersehen which is goodbye in German.
well technically....

auf Wiedersehen means "until we see each other again" colloquially of course it means goodbye but always used with the "auf" part to my knowledge.

Wiedersehen would just mean "see you again" or "reunion"

I wonder if just using Wiedersehen has some other connotation then? Other than what we expect. This show the details matter and we tend to overanalyze as a result. I just find that omission curious.

Can somebody ask Zombie Jon Snow what he means by the "auf" part? He has me blocked.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Still seems like hell of a lot of trouble to go through to save Huell a year or so in jail.
Right. Which is what I'm saying.

It might have started as, 'can you help Huelll?'....but ended up being a completely different motivation once the prosecutor ticked Kim off.
The Milkman
AG
Junkhead said:

The Milkman said:

I found it odd that a german guy in a bar didnt know how to pronounce hefeweissen. Maybe he didnt know what is is... but should have known how to say it

?
Texaggie7nine
So I can kind of understand her motivation, but Jimmy had to put in days of non stop work, traveling down to Louisiana and back. Then had to use all those phones, set them all up, label them, hire the students.

That's a lot of expense by Jimmy for no real return. I'm sure they could put up at least a decent enough defense to convince a jury that Huell didn't know the guy was a cop and got him down to a few months in prison.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
The Milkman said:

Junkhead said:

The Milkman said:

?
The guy at the bar that couldn't pronounce it was a local, not a german.
7nine
Know Your Enemy
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So I can kind of understand her motivation, but Jimmy had to put in days of non stop work, traveling down to Louisiana and back. Then had to use all those phones, set them all up, label them, hire the students.

That's a lot of expense by Jimmy for no real return. I'm sure they could put up at least a decent enough defense to convince a jury that Huell didn't know the guy was a cop and got him down to a few months in prison.
Huell said explicitly that he would skip town if he faced ANY jail time.
Texaggie7nine
But why is that such a big deal to Jimmy? Can't he find a new bodyguard?

I'm just having trouble seeing Jimmy really willing to put in that much work to get him out of a few months of jail when he's not really gaining anything from it.
7nine
Old Tom Morris
I think the fact he was trying to protect Jimmy and it really was just an honest mistake is the main thing. If he runs, he is eventually going to end up doing serious time for something that was innocently done to help Jimmy. So Jimmy is gonna go to the wall for him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He probably feels guilty because he got Huell into this mess. Plus he hasn't turned into Saul yet and what else does he have to do? He can't be a lawyer yet and at the moment his relationship with Kim wasn't all that great.
AgGrad99
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I hear ya.

But it's who Jimmy is...who he's always been, what his brother hated about him. Slippin' Jimmy was working.

Also, he asked Kim for help. At that point he was following her lead. It was fun for them. It's why she wants to do it again. For the thrill of it.
Liquid Wrench
Slippin' Jimmy also knows he needs a guy like Huell around.

I thought there was some suspension of disbelief around the whole caper, but it's Better Call Saul, not some "ripped from the headlines" crime procedural.
Texaggie7nine
The only somewhat similar scenario I can see is when he spent all night doctoring Chuck's documents to get him to lose Mesa Verde, but that was an act of revenge and to help Kim who was in a pickle because of him.

I will just go with the sentiment here that they are both just doing it for the rush of getting away with it.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
I have no problem with suspending disbelief. I just am trying to find the motivational factor in this from what we know about the character of Jimmy. I've never seen him put in so much work to pull a scam for someone other than himself or someone he really cares about.
7nine
Duncan Idaho
Jimmy would do anything for Kim or to impress kim. That is his motivation.

aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Kim and Jimmy's relationship was falling apart. I think when Kim called him with a "I got a better way", that it implied a "let's do this together". It was an opportunity for Jimmy to connect with Kim again.
Texaggie7nine
I can see that.
7nine
DG-Ag
AG
I think one or more of the Germans end up doing the backstroke in a pool of wet concrete!
Bobcat06
AG
Up to this point, Mike has "broke bad"? He's done odd jobs for Gus and came close to shooting Hector Salamanca, but other than taking revenge on the dirty cops who took his son, has he killed anyone?

I could see the situation with the Germans as a turning point where he begins working as the hitman he becomes.
Old Tom Morris
He hasn't on Better Call Saul, but given he was a corrupt cop in Philly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lowlife body or two on him back in Philly beyond the two cops that killed Matty. Recall the "No Half Measures" speech. He learned that he just should have put that abusive boyfriend in the ground, and I'm guessing there was the opportunity to apply that lesson in other situations before it fell apart in Philly with the Matty's death. Big picture is Mike broke bad a long time ago.
Liquid Wrench
Are you asking if Mike has broken bad yet? Mike was a dirty cop who killed some other dirty cops before he ever set foot in Albuquerque.
Bobcat06
AG
I know that, but there's a difference between avenging your son's death or killing a scumbag to protect innocent victims and killing someone for business.

In BB, Mike serves as a hitman (kills for business reasons), but I don't think we've seen him cross that line yet.
Old Tom Morris
Bobcat06 said:

I know that, but there's a difference between avenging your son's death or killing a scumbag to protect innocent victims and killing someone for business.

In BB, Mike serves as a hitman (kills for business reasons), but I don't think we've seen him cross that line yet.
He talked about when he was a beat cop, he wished he'd killed a guy for beating his girlfriend instead of taking him to dig a hole, putting a gun in his mouth, and deciding to let him live. Chose a half measure when he should have gone all the way, and said he'd never make that mistake again. Mike has been bad for a long, long time.
TXAGFAN
AG
I don't remember Mike killing people in Breaking Bad...am I being dumb?
Old Tom Morris
Mike's killing was mostly cartel stuff - legless cousin, helping with attack on Don Eladio, other cartel killing (balloons to kill the power, then killed cartel guys keeping their people hostage), transport truck killings (got his ear partly shot off), etc.

But for the most part when it came to non-cartel work, Mike was more the security brains vs. the muscle for Gus. Gus had other guys to do the muscle stuff.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I don't remember Mike killing people in Breaking Bad...am I being dumb?
Extremely
Bobcat06
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Bobcat06 said:

He talked about when he was a beat cop, he wished he'd killed a guy for beating his girlfriend instead of taking him to dig a hole, putting a gun in his mouth, and deciding to let him live. Chose a half measure when he should have gone all the way, and said he'd never make that mistake again. Mike has been bad for a long, long time.
I'm not debating whether Mike has crossed the line of killing someone before. I'm asking if he has killed someone for immoral or selfish reasons.

Killing a scumbag in order to protecting an innocent victim has some morality to it.

Killing the Germans to silence them about criminal activity would be immoral.

I don't think he has killed anyone for immoral reasons up to this point in BCS.
Ag_07
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Jimmy would do anything for Kim or to impress kim. That is his motivation.

This

Remember it was Kim's plan that she asked Jimmy to carry out.

Jimmy was just going to tear down the cop then Kim had the plan that was put into motion.
aTmAg
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Bobcat06 said:

He talked about when he was a beat cop, he wished he'd killed a guy for beating his girlfriend instead of taking him to dig a hole, putting a gun in his mouth, and deciding to let him live. And he said he never made that mistake again. Mike has been bad for a long, long time.
In BB he was advocating the killing of Jesse merely because he was a loose cannon. So far in BCS (and prior), Mike only thinks about killing people in revenge for killing others. I think there is definitely a threshold of badness that he has crossed between now and then.
Burdizzo
AG
Mike was about to pull the trigger on Hector when Gus stopped him.

I don't know if that is considered immoral or just business.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.