*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,165 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What????????
GreasenUSA
AG
Awesome episode so far. Just realized it's the only one directed by Vince Gilligan this season.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Kim going to help scam his way back now? We can't go another year without him practicing law.
Know Your Enemy
AG
My god that was an intense scene.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Holy ***** Werner busted out!
oragator
Omg, Kim's line about him always being down was the harshest ever in this series. Even worse than Chuck saying he didn't care about him I think because she was the one person he trusted, But he has his motivation now.

And yeah that dynamite scene was crazy.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Wow stunning episode - one of those slow burn episodes really but the ultimate 1 2 punch of

1. Jimmy not getting reinstated leading to their fight was huge, real and emotionally raw
2. Werner - damn I thought he was gonna kill himself - that was well played and executed.

Awesome. That's an all time great.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Yeah, I was thinking suicide too. No way I thought he'd be able to escape. Gus is gonna be pissed.
Old Tom Morris
So I'm assuming Werner's issue is an Anxiety/panic issue from being cooped up (and away) for so long + maybe mix in some the pressure from the project? The moment with the demolition seemed like a panic attack (obviously not a severe one, but some level of one).
Bobcat06
AG
I walked out of the room during that dynamite scene

I assume Werner realized that he may not survive and that's his motivation for running away.

Also, now that Werner is gone, Kai is in charge, which will cause problems.
Old Tom Morris
He basically had a mini-panic attack down there. He was gasping for air, his hands start shaking, and he had to lean against a pole to try and gather himself. Then he gives himself a little pep talk to finish what he was there to do.

I think it's a lot of factors basically sending him to a breaking point. That's a long time to be cooped up with guys that aren't really your peers, so while they are able to have some meaningful interaction with each other, Werner is still essentially isolated. Away from his wife for a really long time, much longer than expected. And this is clearly a project with some very, very serious and dangerous people behind it. But I don't think it's just that last factor driving it. It's not like Werner can just disappear off the face of the earth with his wife. I almost think his desperate broken ass is thinking he may be able to ask for forgiveness afterward.
Baby Billy
AG
Great ****ing episode
Baby Billy
AG
Opening scene was just incredible, once again.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Am I going nuts or did we not previously discuss the title of tonight's episode? I can't sewm to find those posts now.
Liquid Wrench
page 26
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Junkhead said:

Am I going nuts or did we not previously discuss the title of tonight's episode? I can't sewm to find those posts now.
yeah we discussed it....the consensus was it meant goodbye to either Kai or the entire crew or someone getting buried under the lab, etc.... not a literal goodbye...

although i pointed out Wiedersehen means "reunion" or "see you again"

whereas auf Wiedersehen means "until i see you again" which colloquially means goodbye.

So it turns out that was really intentional and literal. we thought it meant goodbye but it literally meant Werner was going to have a reunion with his wife.

It's poetically misleading. And genius.

I don't claim to have been prescient here - just pointed out the literal meaning but I did not predict anything by it other than curiosity.

I did say:

Quote:

I wonder if just using Wiedersehen has some other connotation then? Other than what we expect. This show the details matter and we tend to overanalyze as a result. I just find that omission curious.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Junkhead said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, once they started having Werner screw up in addition to Kai, I think their fate of being buried under the lab or the New Mexican desert seems to be more sealed.
Agreed. We will find out next week, though. The episode is titled Wiedersehen which is goodbye in German.
well technically....

auf Wiedersehen means "until we see each other again" colloquially of course it means goodbye but always used with the "auf" part to my knowledge.

Wiedersehen would just mean "see you again" or "reunion"

I wonder if just using Wiedersehen has some other connotation then? Other than what we expect. This show the details matter and we tend to overanalyze as a result. I just find that omission curious.

Well I guess old Werner said goodbye to his crew for a reunion with his wife.
Know Your Enemy
AG
ChiliBeans said:

page 26

Thanks. Didn't go back far enough.
Bobcat06
AG
Also, Wiedersehen was written on the rock [/captain obvious]
dave94
AG
Great episode, so much tension in the demolition scene and Gus' sit-down with the new Salamanca.

Also, Jimmy dropped a legit f-bomb tonight.
Burdizzo
AG
Burdizzo said:

aTmAg said:

Burdizzo said:

ItsA&InotA&M said:

Mike has had it with Tai and he can't send him back to Germany.
Therefore, he will not make it out of the construction site alive, Mike kills him in one of the next two episodes.

There is that angle, then there is the angle where the PM is setting up Mike to briefly let them out of the hampster cage to relieve some tension, or maybe one of them sneaks out. That could trigger a whole chain of plot twists.
That would be interesting. One hops on a plane and books it back to Germany

It could be anything. My idea would be Kai or someone else sneaks away looking for a little female companionship in Albuquerque and gets in a bind that Mike and Gus have to get him out of. Maybe that is how they bring Jimmy in? Who knows.

Wrong on the Kai part. Probably wrong on the Jimmy part. Mike probably dropped a pantload, though
mazzag
AG
Curious to see what Mike does to validate himself to Gus after such an epic f up
mavsfan4ever
AG
I thought Werner was panicking bc he realized that mike may be sending him to his death while he was down there. I kept trying to figure out what he noticed that made him think it was a trap. Like maybe he noticed that the wires were set up as a trap.

Is the consensus that it was just a panic attack due to the dangerous nature of the job at hand and not bc he thought his employer was going to kill him?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yes
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
What token is Mike going to have to bring back to Gus to prove Wehrner is no longer a threat? That's a pretty good headstart he's got.
aTmAg
AG
In a normal construction sense, I don't see what Werner did alone as being anymore dangerous than when they were all down there planting the explosives. At least not dangerous enough to freak out like that, since the power was cut off at that point.

I think the reason he was flipping out is that he thought Mike was trying to send Kai down there to be "accidentally" killed in some sort of trap. Werner volunteered to go down there in his place to save his life, but he couldn't be 100% sure that whatever imagine trap was in place could be "turned off" at that point. So he thought there was a decent chance that he was about to die.

That's my theory at least.
BMX Bandit
any chance Jimmy steals an identity, permanently becomes "Saul Goodman" and retakes the bar exam?
aTmAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

any chance Jimmy steals an identity, permanently becomes "Saul Goodman" and retakes the bar exam?
You tell us, Mr. Lawyer. Is such a thing possible?
Bunk Moreland
BMX Bandit said:

That's where I think we're headed.
Baby Billy
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I think so. We know he's a legit lawyer named Saul Goodman just a couple years later. To get reinstated as Jimmy would mean another major event needs to happen for his name to officially change.

This has to be the turning point from Jimmy to Saul.
aTmAg
AG
His face is recognizable. Wouldn't the board recognize him along with other lawyers who would see him around the courthouse? Anybody who goes against him that knows his history (and I imagine that would be a lot of people) could easily just report him.
Baby Billy
AG
How does a fairly well-known figure in the ABQ community change his name to Saul Goodman and keep practicing law in the town he was barred in?
Baby Billy
AG
Maybe his name never actually changes? He and Kim find a way to get him reinstated and then Saul Goodman and the "better call Saul" slogan just become the name of his law practice and his way of rebranding himself to service his new clientele?
Belton Ag
AG
I think it's more likely that Kim bails him out again and gets him reinstated on appeal.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure BMX is being sarcastic.
aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

I think it's more likely that Kim bails him out again and gets him reinstated on appeal.
Perhaps she sells her employer on how awesome Jimmy is. They put in a good word for him, he get's reinstated, and he goes to work for them. Then, like before, he gets bored with the job, gets himself fired, and that breaks apart his relationship with Kim for good. (The previews do not seem to be going that way at all, however)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.