*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,141 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

traveler1 said:

Jimmy just discovered how to market products to people that just might have a criminal background.

Plus he now knows a lot about burner phones etc.

Loved that.

Although it was silly how fast he was just running his own store like day one. And his flip on declining and then accepting the job was also quick. But that's more of like his mental state although I was not sure why Kim wanting him to get therapy would trigger it. But he is all over the map. Cool how the guy paid him more and did not keep the extra and his reasons.

Duncan Idaho
Zombie Jon Snow said:

traveler1 said:

Jimmy just discovered how to market products to people that just might have a criminal background.

Plus he now knows a lot about burner phones etc.

Loved that.

Although it was silly how fast he was just running his own store like day one. And his flip on declining and then accepting the job was also quick. But that's more of like his mental state although I was not sure why Kim wanting him to get therapy would trigger it. But he is all over the map. Cool how the guy paid him more and did not keep the extra and his reasons.

Clearly never worked low end retail.

Geriatric Punk
AG
mazzag said:

Or maybe I'm hoping for more of a plot twist than an attorney with a conscience? They don't exist.
They do. They are just poor.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
expresswrittenconsent
Fun episode. We kind of got a "day in the life" of each character, and they were all having varying degree of bad day.

One small nitpick, I don't think Mike would go off in therapy like that. It doesn't fit every other aspect of his character that we see. But I guess maybe that is the point - this is his soft spot where he isn't really on his game, and he let his emotions take over.
Old Tom Morris
His son is his weak point, and when his daughter-in-law started talking about how she was starting to forget him, he was ready to boil over. Not sure if I've ever seen an actor use facial expressions as well as Jonathan Banks has done with Mike E over both series, particularly for it being such a calm, cool character most of the time. As soon as she went there, you could see him start to bubble.
TCTTS
AG
Stive
AG
Is it off for Labor Day? Or still running as scheduled?
Complete Idiot
Know Your Enemy
AG
Stive said:

Is it off for Labor Day? Or still running as scheduled?
New episode despite the holiday.
TCTTS
AG
Running as scheduled.
JYDog90
AG
I don't think Kim is disillusioned as much as she realizes how hard she worked on getting one branch open, she proved she could do it but really questions her own ability to get it done going forward. She doesn't want to be exposed and lose out to someone like Howard whom she just burned her bridges with over Jimmy and Chuck.

So I think she's just going to walk away from the whole thing. It's funny that we find her where we met Jimmy in season 1. I wonder if she breaks bad.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Liquid Wrench
expresswrittenconsent said:

Fun episode. We kind of got a "day in the life" of each character, and they were all having varying degree of bad day.

One small nitpick, I don't think Mike would go off in therapy like that. It doesn't fit every other aspect of his character that we see. But I guess maybe that is the point - this is his soft spot where he isn't really on his game, and he let his emotions take over.
It was set up in the diner when he told the lady friend that the other guy was a liar and he could get him to cave.
Old Tom Morris
He didn't say he'd get him to cave. He just pointed out his tell and told her that whatever story the guy shared would be different from what he told before (which was rhe bet). He could have had a private conversation with her afterward about how the planned trip location changed and won the bet. But he was angry due to his DIL and decided to crush him in front of the group.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Yeah, he just wanted to out the guy since he was feeding on the misery.

Can't wait to see Saul raking in the phone customers and setting up his future client list.
EllisCoAg
AG
Is the phone store next to Saul's future office?
Look somewhat familiar
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
PatAg
AG
willie wonka said:

I don't think Kim is disillusioned as much as she realizes how hard she worked on getting one branch open, she proved she could do it but really questions her own ability to get it done going forward. She doesn't want to be exposed and lose out to someone like Howard whom she just burned her bridges with over Jimmy and Chuck.

So I think she's just going to walk away from the whole thing. It's funny that we find her where we met Jimmy in season 1. I wonder if she breaks bad.
That's my interpretation of Kim's actions too.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Said it before and will say it again.

Its Kim's storyline I find most intriguing in all this. What her fate is as BCS ties into BB. 2nd is Nacho's but I'm pretty certain I know what happens with him. Or his ultimate fate at least.
Old Tom Morris
I know people have biched about how many main characters/storylines there are. But look at it this way - we know the conclusion of the Saul, Mike, Gus story (or at least until Omaha for Saul). It can be done, but great storytelling when the audience knows the ending is tough. But Kim and Nacho being key characters where there is uncertainty and mystery is a component of this story to provide some intrigue and keep the audience hooked.

So the volume of characters is a bit of a necessary evil.

Look at the Star Wars prequels. Now I do think Lucas butchered it more than necessary, but telling a long, engaging story when the audience already knows the ending is tough. You need a few tricks up your sleeve.
GiveMeTheInfo
I encourage everyone on this thread to listen to the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast. It really is a great podcast to learn about some of the behind the scenes stuff, but it is also great because you get to hear from the actual creators of the show and the writer of each episode. This week's episode is great because the cousins are on the podcast as well.
PatAg
AG
I'll check stuff like that after the show is over, but I have no interesting in getting that info while the show is running.
FTAG 2000
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Maybe she gets back to public defender type law, something in that judge's court room with petty criminals, and keeps encountering people that know Jimmy. Or something that reveals what Jimmy gets involved with outside her knowledge, and she realizes some things that Chuck said about Jimmy were correct. I guess she also participated with Jimmy when running schemes on people in bars, but she has limits of what she'll tolerate. Kim may be looking for a noble purpose in her courtroom visits, Jimmy seems like he's trying to find his purpose as well and he'll most likely revert to his true nature. Chuck, elitist ******* and heartless brother that he was, had valid points.

Or what if she ends up on the opposing side from him in a case somehow, and sees Jimmy for who he really is / works for...
expresswrittenconsent
GiveMeTheInfo said:

I encourage everyone on this thread to listen to the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast. It really is a great podcast to learn about some of the behind the scenes stuff, but it is also great because you get to hear from the actual creators of the show and the writer of each episode. This week's episode is great because the cousins are on the podcast as well.

It's an OK podcast if you want to hear Gilligan and Gould BS a little about the specific episode and BS a lot about wherever the moment takes them. But if you want a recap of the episode and speculation about events/plot twists, it isn't that. There is a whole lot of stuff about the technical crap needed to properly capture the audio when filming outdoors.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Hyep!
tysker
AG
Quote:

This week's episode is great because the cousins are on the podcast as well.
And they just stand there, ominously, saying nothing for 5 minutes
TCTTS
AG
Have you seen it?
aTmAg
AG
GiveMeTheInfo said:

Is It just an hour of silence?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Next Monday's ep? How would I have seen it?
TCTTS
AG
It looked like you were confirming. What does "Hyep" mean? I took it as a form of "yep."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

It looked like you were confirming. What does "Hyep" mean? I took it as a form of "yep."

I believe it's a typo of "Hype"..... as in "get hype"....
TCTTS
AG
That would make so much more sense.
AgFan131
DannyDuberstein said:

LoL. Big plans in store for you, pal. Don't wanna get busted in the college lab cooking up a measly kilo.

I think he passively provoked Gale to prove he could cook something purer than 67%.
AgFan131
Also, Gale makes an absolute chemist no-no when explaining his salt solution to Gus. He told him that salt in water dissolves, but that isn't true. More accurately, it dissociates. No way a pure chemist would say that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I did in fact mean hype.
CyclingAg82
AG
aTmAg said:

GiveMeTheInfo said:

Is It just an hour of silence?
No they actually talk and very are funny. I like the behind the scenes stuff. They had some flashbacks to Breaking Bad in the last episode that were funny.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AgFan131 said:

Also, Gale makes an absolute chemist no-no when explaining his salt solution to Gus. He told him that salt in water dissolves, but that isn't true. More accurately, it dissociates. No way a pure chemist would say that.

Well to be fair he's still in college at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.