*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,138 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Sports-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
During Jimmy's final speech to the board I thought just maybe he was speaking from the heart then nope.

Agree with seeing Kim's face. Could feel her stunned look as he walked away.

This sort of felt like a series finale. Mike taking care of the job for Gus that we see him do on BB, Gale in the underground lab and Jimmy's last words in the end. Could have but needs to close out the Kim and Nacho story.

Bob and Jonathan needs an Emmy nod for their role here. Also, they need to recognize Rhea this season.
Baby Billy
AG
Definitely not a series finale.

What a fantastic show. BB took off in the 3rd season, BCS took off in season 4. Both fantastic
Bunk Moreland
Great season finale and great penultimate season.
Texaggie7nine
So is Jimmy truly a sociopath or has he just buried his feeling for his brother completely and taken up a permanent mask?
7nine
Sports-Ag
AG
Agree it wasn't a series finale. If they could have close out the Kim and Nacho story with the rest in this episode would have been a nice touch. Then let it jump to BB with a time jump. Don't get me wrong I don't want the show to end yet.
TXAG 05
AG
I thought the lighting on his face during the speech was great. Half lit, half dark, showing his two sides.

Great episode overall. It's all good man!
Teddy Perkins
AG
He has come into his own with full knowledge of who he is. When he is talking to the girl that didn't get the scholarship that is him fully understanding who he is and becoming ok with it. If there was ever any part of him that was going to be play by the rules it died in that scene.
TXAG 05
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Forgot to set dvr. I'lll be back to tell yall what I was right about after the stupid lodge show is out of the way.

You don't have it set to record the season?
Texaggie7nine
Ya I got that. But his breakdown in the car. What do you think was the source of the first true cry we have seen from Jimmy? Is there anything in him that is sad about his brother?
7nine
Philip J Fry
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Ya I got that. But his breakdown in the car. What do you think was the source of the first true cry we have seen from Jimmy? Is there anything in him that is sad about his brother?

Sad that he'll never be accepted was my take.
Old Tom Morris
Texaggie7nine said:

Yeah. This wasn't about Chuck. It was about him never being accepted. The girl that was "the shoplifter" to the rest of them just freshened up that reminder/wound. She screwed up 2 years earlier, but in spite of putting up a great record in the 2 years since, she was immediately just "the shoplifter" to everyone else in that room. That's Jimmy. Nothing he does will ever matter or make him legitimate in his peers' eyes. And he felt so strongly about it that he basically just steered a her clear of the law because of it (or at least tried).
Know Your Enemy
AG
So sad that we won't have any new episodes until 2019.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Do the Germans make it out of the finale?

Nein

They did. Well all but one.

Junkhead said:

I'm guessing that they don't kill all the Germans but I'd bet Werner is toast. But part of the Gilligan genius is that you rarely guess right when predicting where his show is heading.

Finally I guessed right!
Old Tom Morris
Also textbook Mike that he would clean up his own mess once he knew Gus was done with Werner. Good way to handle it (albeit not unexpected). This show does a great job of having its characters consistently stay true to what they are.
Texaggie7nine
He never seemed to really care about being part of the club or being accepted by anyone but Chuck. He always seemed happy just to take advantage of every situation he could for his own benefit.

In other words, he only seemed interested in being part of the club, not because it was his hearts desire, but because he could exploit it.
7nine
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Well they didn't make it out of the finale actually - they are gone from the show.

My "nein" was only a humorous attempt anyway.

Auf Wiedersehen. Until next season.
Old Tom Morris
One thing we didnt get was modern day Omaha.
Seven Costanza
AG
Junkhead said:

So sad that we won't have any new episodes until 2019.

Let's hope it's 2019. They took their sweet time making this season, so I could see it being 2020.
Know Your Enemy
AG
What do you mean? The rest of the crew was going to be sent home according to what Mike told Werner before he sent him to Belize.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Junkhead said:

What do you mean? The rest of the crew was going to be sent home according to what Mike told Werner before he sent him to Belize.
what do i mean by what?

they are gone from the show. yes? so they did not make it out of the finale... meaning they won't be back.

you're taking this much too seriously. i even indicted I had been joking about the "nein" to begin with...and i was joking about them not making it out of the show but making a joke that they technically didn't (like from the viewers perspective).

Big Al 1992
AG
Wow wow wow!
Dare I say we just saw both Jimmy and Mike truly start.....breaking bad?
Know Your Enemy
AG
I was confused by what you meant by making it out of the finale. I thought you meant they wouldn't live. And yes, I knew the "nein" response was joking.
TCTTS
AG
Easily one of the best episodes of the entire series, and that includes Breaking Bad. Just phenomenal across the board. Not a ton happened this season, and it felt somewhat "smaller" than past seasons comparitavely, but it was all worth it for this episode and that ending. Wow.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Definitely not a series finale.

Quote:

Great season finale and great penultimate season.

I'm confused. The show was officially picked up for a fifth season weeks ago and no one has said it will be the final season either. I'm betting we've got another two seasons at least, if not more, potentially.
Liquid Wrench
Damn! I'm surprised no one on this thread brought up the DBA idea!
TCTTS
AG
I think you meant to type "NDA."
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS
AG
Breaking Bad is one of the greatest television shows ever made. There's no denying that. But is it blasphemy to say that I think I actually *like* Better Call Saul more? BB is better, no doubt. But I find BCS more enjoyable for one, primary reason... for the most part, the Jimmy/Saul side of it offers a welcomed, light-hearted escape... but THAT'S the side that always ends up ripping your heart out. It somehow hits harder than anything the Mike/drug cartel side of things could ever offer. Even though that side of things is absolutely phenomenal as well. I've just never seen anything like this show. The balance between its two "sides," the set up, the tension (even though we know the ultimate destination). It's just amazing.
TCTTS
AG
One last thing... Lalo has been nails from his very first appearance this season, but tonight he became the villain this show desperately needed. Gus is up there with the greatest TV villains of all time (if not the greatest), but by now we know what we're getting with him, and at this point we're basically on his "side" in a weird way anyway. But Gus/Mike vs Lalo/Nacho (with Nacho playing both sides) just upped the ante in the best possible way. I cannot wait to see that play out, especially knowing that all involved make it through the series (based on Saul referencing Lalo/Nacho in BB), which strangely makes it more exciting. Like a Joker/Batman kind of thing, where they're destined to just go round and round. Lalo is such a breathe of fresh air, and after his ceiling crawl / murder / Mike chase, he's like a funny, frightening, Mexican version of the T-1000 in his relentlessness. I love his character so much, and how he serves to shake things up.
rcb
AG
My goodness. Just incredible. What a freaking amazing finale, and yet another tremendous season. I'm certainly no expert, but not sure what more you could expect. This BB/BCS story IS the STANDARD. Mercy.
Burdizzo
AG
A few episodes back I began to suspect that Werner would be this series' Gale - highly competent in technical skills, generally likeable, a little quirky, has to be eliminated because he is too big of a risk to the operation.
Ag_07
AG
One thing I'm hung up on...

Is it a safe assumption that Gail will be finishing the lab?

If so why wouldn't Gus just have used him in the beginning?
aTmAg
AG
So a thunderstorm cut off my satellite for a period in the middle. Basically it was the scene after Jimmy tried to convince HHM to consider the shop lifter all the way until the next commercial. What did I miss?
Big Al 1992
AG
TCTTS said:

Breaking Bad is one of the greatest television shows ever made. There's no denying that. But is it blasphemy to say that I think I actually *like* Better Call Saul more? BB is better, no doubt. But I find BCS more enjoyable for one, primary reason... for the most part, the Jimmy/Saul side of it offers a welcomed, light-hearted escape... but THAT'S the side that always ends up ripping your heart out. It somehow hits harder than anything the Mike/drug cartel side of things could ever offer. Even though that side of things is absolutely phenomenal as well. I've just never seen anything like this show. The balance between its two "sides," the set up, the tension (even though we know the ultimate destination). It's just amazing.

Great summary. BB had way more WTF moments than BCS but both are great. I'm holding off rewatching BB for a 3rd time because when BCS ends I want to seamlessly transition to Breaking Bad (assuming there is no time overlap of the series). I think watching in sequence will give an entirely new appreciation for how great BB is and how well those characters were fleshed out.
Counterpoint
AG
aTmAg said:

So a thunderstorm cut off my satellite for a period in the middle. Basically it was the scene after Jimmy tried to convince HHM to consider the shop lifter all the way until the next commercial. What did I miss?
He ran out to meet the shoplifter and told her she wasn't getting the scholarship. That she never was, that the system was rigged, and that one mistake was going to follow her for her whole life. But she was still going to win and cut corners and kick ass, etc. Basically he was saying how he felt about himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.