*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,130 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SO, in reading that recap of the first episode, the writer states they could potentially have a 6th (or 7th) season.

I really hope they don't. 5 seasons seems to be the perfect length for a show. It is better to leave the party too early than too late.

I thought they should have capped BB at 4 (end it with, "I won."). But, Season 5 ended up being great and I'll admit I was wrong. Still, let Jimmy fully transform into Saul in season 4, bring him into the beginning of BB in Season 5, and put the punctuation mark on it. Just my thought.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
CoachRTM
AG
I would love to see a full season of Gene in post Breakig Bad timeline, but maybe that's just me.
Know Your Enemy
AG
CoachRTM said:

I would love to see a full season of Gene in post Breakig Bad timeline, but maybe that's just me.
I think that could be great but I also think a season or two of BCS with the timeline running concurrent to the BB timeline could be amazing.
aTmAg
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

SO, in reading that recap of the first episode, the writer states they could potentially have a 6th (or 7th) season.

I really hope they don't. 5 seasons seems to be the perfect length for a show. It is better to leave the party too early than too late.

I thought they should have capped BB at 4 (end it with, "I won."). But, Season 5 ended up being great and I'll admit I was wrong. Still, let Jimmy fully transform into Saul in season 4, bring him into the beginning of BB in Season 5, and put the punctuation mark on it. Just my thought.
I think the story should dictate how long it goes. So if they have a good story in mind that is 7 seasons long then I say go 7 seasons long.

The problem, I think, is that Jonathan Banks is 71 years old. I think they can get away with him looking older in BCS than BB, but if he were to have bad enough health problems or die, then that would ruin the show, I think. Putting another actor in that spot would be impossible for my brain to accept. Obviously, they can't kill him off.
Know Your Enemy
AG
They've already killed Mike off. They would just have to make sure the BCS timeline is past that point if it has to continue without him.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Junkhead said:

CoachRTM said:

I think that could be great but I also think a season or two of BCS with the timeline running concurrent to the BB timeline could be amazing.
I listened to the new episode of the "Better Call Saul Insiders Podcast" - which I'd recommend to anyone who likes the show: https://audioboom.com/posts/6962000-401-better-call-saul-insider

They talk about the possibility of what you're talking about. Additional they say that the Gene timeline relative to the BB timeline has not been established. All we know is it's after Saul goes into hiding in BB. Gene in the Omaha mall is not necessarily after the end of the BB timeline. They spend a bit of time talking about the Gene scene and the way they talked about Gene leads me to believe we will see more Gene this season.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Junkhead said:

CoachRTM said:

I listened to the new episode of the "Better Call Saul Insiders Podcast" - which I'd recommend to anyone who likes the show: https://audioboom.com/posts/6962000-401-better-call-saul-insider

They talk about the possibility of what you're talking about. Additional they say that the Gene timeline relative to the BB timeline has not been established. All we know is it's after Saul goes into hiding in BB. Gene in the Omaha mall is not necessarily after the end of the BB timeline. They spend a bit of time talking about the Gene scene and the way they talked about Gene leads me to believe we will see more Gene this season.
How would the Cinnabon Gene timeline not be after the BB timeline?
Whos Juan
AG
Junkhead said:

TexjbA&M said:

Junkhead said:

CoachRTM said:

There are several months between Saul and Walt visiting the vacuum cleaner guy and the Granite State episode.

*edit* I'm an idiot. Saul and Walt visit the vacuum guy in Ozymandias.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
CoachRTM said:

not just you.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Whos Juan said:

Junkhead said:

TexjbA&M said:

Junkhead said:

CoachRTM said:

There are several months between Saul and Walt visiting the vacuum cleaner guy and the Granite State episode.

*edit* I'm an idiot. Saul and Walt visit the vacuum guy in Ozymandias.
Yeah, I guess they could do a couple Gene episodes before Walt dies but most of the show would HAVE to be in a post BB world.
hurleyag
AG
So maybe Jimmy goes into hiding in Omaha as Gene between BCS and BB before becoming Saul?

Could explain why he is so paranoid if he thinks the Cartel is coming after him for the reason he hints at in BB when Walt and Jesse take him.
Leggo My Elko
AG
hurleyag said:

So maybe Jimmy goes into hiding in Omaha as Gene between BCS and BB before becoming Saul?

Could explain why he is so paranoid if he thinks the Cartel is coming after him for the reason he hints at in BB when Walt and Jesse take him.
No that's not what they imply on the podcast. Gene is definitely Saul after going underground in BB. Just that the audience shouldn't assume that Walt has died and the BB timeline is over when we see Gene in the Mall. There could be some overlap that could make for some good TV possibilities.
AggieDarlin
AG
I love Mike

aTmAg
AG
Junkhead said:

They've already killed Mike off. They would just have to make sure the BCS timeline is past that point if it has to continue without him.
I mean if they have not yet reached the BB timeline. If he died tomorrow, for example, it would be hard to write around the fact that he is sorta just missing for a couple seasons. Would they claim he's working in Mexico or something? He's a big reason why the show is good. I don't think they could do without him.
MathNewman06
AG
Gene is now cut off from that world. He may not know about WW being dead for some (possibly extended) period of time after it happens.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MathNewman06 said:

Gene is now cut off from that world. He may not know about WW being dead for some (possibly extended) period of time after it happens.
I would think that would be massive nationwide news, no?
Complete Idiot
Regarding future seasons and character arc, especially in Omaha, I think the writers kind of put themselves in a corner a bit. They always state, and it's observable in what they put out, that they have to be true to the characters and not necessarily aimed at extending a series or making everything end happy. Could Breaking Bad have gone on more seasons? Yes, most shows would have forced some way to extend a successful series - Gilligan and Sony and AMC were all OK with bringing it to a conclusion in a way that fit the characters, Walt was reckless and had committed serious crimes and couldn't run from the law forever. He ended up with heat on him and dying.

The Saul and Jimmy we know is not really a nice guy, he works people from all possible angles to benefit himself. He can manipulate old people to hate some sweet old lady, he can suggest in BB that maybe someone should be killed, he's OK with making a person who's really done nothing wrong feel responsible for the death of his brother. Saul gets involved in a drug syndicate and as a result goes in to hiding in Omaha. Could there be a Omaha based season? Sure, but the Omaha we've seen so far is not really watchable over an entire episode much less a season - he's paranoid, he's working in a mall, he's trapped and sad. He has no freedom and if he ever wants to spice his life up and get back "in the game" then he puts himself at risk for capture by the law or death by vengeful criminals. I can't really see these show creators/writers giving Jimmy a happy ending - and it's hard to say he deserves it. It was a pseudo happy ending for Walt - he righted a few wrongs, freed Jimmy, and was smiling with pride next to his equipment as he shuffled off the mortal coil. For Jimmy I could see something similar - refuses to be trapped, gets back into the game of manipulation for personal game, sees success at what he's good at, but then gets captured or killed but at least going out what seems to bring him joy.

If they go to a Omaha based season I would really like to see Jesse though - and I think he is a character who could have a happy ending and even be argued he deserves it. Saul and Walt were grown men who made adult choices to break bad - or give in to bad impulses there forever in Jimmy's case - and they reap what they sow. Jesse was a bit of a young loser and a low level distributor before Walt became involved, but Walt was a manipulative older influence who took Jesse on a ride through hell. Jesse had a girlfriend die in his bed, another girlfriend shot in front of him, felt forced to murder someone himself, was kept in a cage by insane criminals, etc - all as someone age 25 or less? I think barely out of HS when BB started. I'd like to see Gene go looking for him, find him, and Jesse be doing well and maybe taking up a few episodes with him - one of the few characters who could deserve some redemption.
aTmAg
AG
TexjbA&M said:

hurleyag said:

No that's not what they imply on the podcast. Gene is definitely Saul after going underground in BB. Just that the audience shouldn't assume that Walt has died and the BB timeline is over when we see Gene in the Mall. There could be some overlap that could make for some good TV possibilities.
That is something I never considered. Walt turned 51 in the middle of the first half of season 5. He was 52 in that Denny's shop near the end of the timeline. So that could be almost a full year from Ozmandias to Walt's death. The entire rest of the show was between his 50th and 51st birthday. So there is a lot of show that can happen in the Gene timeperiod prior to Walt dying.
aTmAg
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Regarding future seasons and character arc, especially in Omaha, I think the writers kind of put themselves in a corner a bit. They always state, and it's observable in what they put out, that they have to be true to the characters and not necessarily aimed at extending a series or making everything end happy. Could Breaking Bad have gone on more seasons? Yes, most shows would have forced some way to extend a successful series - Gilligan and Sony and AMC were all OK with bringing it to a conclusion in a way that fit the characters, Walt was reckless and had committed serious crimes and couldn't run from the law forever. He ended up with heat on him and dying.

The Saul and Jimmy we know is not really a nice guy, he works people from all possible angles to benefit himself. He can manipulate old people to hate some sweet old lady, he can suggest in BB that maybe someone should be killed, he's OK with making a person who's really done nothing wrong feel responsible for the death of his brother. Saul gets involved in a drug syndicate and as a result goes in to hiding in Omaha. Could there be a Omaha based season? Sure, but the Omaha we've seen so far is not really watchable over an entire episode much less a season - he's paranoid, he's working in a mall, he's trapped and sad. He has no freedom and if he ever wants to spice his life up and get back "in the game" then he puts himself at risk for capture by the law or death by vengeful criminals. I can't really see these show creators/writers giving Jimmy a happy ending - and it's hard to say he deserves it. It was a pseudo happy ending for Walt - he righted a few wrongs, freed Jimmy, and was smiling with pride next to his equipment as he shuffled off the mortal coil. For Jimmy I could see something similar - refuses to be trapped, gets back into the game of manipulation for personal game, sees success at what he's good at, but then gets captured or killed but at least going out what seems to bring him joy.

If they go to a Omaha based season I would really like to see Jesse though - and I think he is a character who could have a happy ending and even be argued he deserves it. Saul and Walt were grown men who made adult choices to break bad - or give in to bad impulses there forever in Jimmy's case - and they reap what they sow. Jesse was a bit of a young loser and a low level distributor before Walt became involved, but Walt was a manipulative older influence who took Jesse on a ride through hell. Jesse had a girlfriend die in his bed, another girlfriend shot in front of him, felt forced to murder someone himself, was kept in a cage by insane criminals, etc - all as someone age 25 or less? I think barely out of HS when BB started. I'd like to see Gene go looking for him, find him, and Jesse be doing well and maybe taking up a few episodes with him - one of the few characters who could deserve some redemption.
I assume Jesse is in hiding too. His fingerprints are undoubtedly all over the Jacks place where he had killed Todd with his bare hands and also held the gun that Walt used to kill Jack. If Saul could find Jesse than the Feds certainly could.
Burdizzo
AG
aTmAg said:

TexjbA&M said:

hurleyag said:

That is something I never considered. Walt turned 51 in the middle of the first half of season 5. He was 52 in that Denny's shop near the end of the timeline. So that could be almost a full year from Ozmandias to Walt's death. The entire rest of the show was between his 50th and 51st birthday. So there is a lot of show that can happen in the Gene timeperiod prior to Walt dying.

You know what hits home for me personally? I turned 50 earlier this year. I can watch BB and think Walter White built a multi-million dollar drug manufacturing operation at my age, and what the hell have I done with my life?

I better get my ass to work.
aTmAg
AG
Burdizzo said:

aTmAg said:

TexjbA&M said:

hurleyag said:

You know what hits home for me personally? I turned 50 earlier this year. I can watch BB and think Walter White built a multi-million dollar drug manufacturing operation at my age, and what the hell have I done with my life?

I better get my ass to work.
Alexander the Great died at age 32. And he conquered most of the known world. Meanwhile we are posting on TexAgs.
JD Shellnut
AG
I figured the gene timeline was quite a bit after the end of breaking bad, maybe even present day....since they make gene look so much older than Saul looked at the end of breaking bad.
DannyDuberstein
AG
hurleyag said:

This type of head-fake would be ridiculous.

Put me down for a season or so of Gene timeline tho.
hurleyag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

hurleyag said:

This type of head-fake would be ridiculous.

Put me down for a season or so of Gene timeline tho.
Plus I wasn't taking into account that they showed him watching his Saul Goodman commercials.
CrottyKid
AG
sorry. someone already cleared this up.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

I think the writers kind of put themselves in a corner a bit.
Never underestimate Gilligan and his team when put in a corner and committed to an ending of sorts. In the 10th anniversary they talk about how they shot the AR15 in trunk scene with Walt , put it in the season premiere and had no earthly idea how they were going to bring that back in and tie that loose end up. Yet , they came up with something and it was FanEffingTastic.
CrottyKid
AG
It could be a dark comedy.
aTmAg
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Quote:

Never underestimate Gilligan and his team when put in a corner and committed to an ending of sorts. In the 10th anniversary they talk about how they shot the AR15 in trunk scene with Walt , put it in the season premiere and had no earthly idea how they were going to bring that back in and tie that loose end up. Yet , they came up with something and it was FanEffingTastic.
It's almost like they intentionally write themselves into corners and try to figure out a way to write a good escape.
Know Your Enemy
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

It's almost like they intentionally write themselves into corners and try to figure out a way to write a good escape.
They've explicitly said that is exactly what they did in BB. I assume it's the same for BCS.
aTmAg
AG
Junkhead said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

They've explicitly said that is exactly what they did in BB. I assume it's the same for BCS.
Oh... I didn't know that. You got any other good examples? I heard about the AR15 one.
UnderoosAg
AG
That was an M60, not an AR-15.
Know Your Enemy
AG
aTmAg said:

Junkhead said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

Oh... I didn't know that. You got any other good examples? I heard about the AR15 one.
The RV

Quote:

I watched last season again and thought, "Walt's never going to get out of this." And then I think of all the other stuff he's gotten out of, including having Hank on the other side of an RV door, about to catch him. And now I think, "Of course he can get out of it."

That RV thing talk about painting ourselves into a corner. That took seven of us, I think, three or four days straight to figure out how to get out of that one. That's why Walt's such a genius. He can think up what it takes seven normal folks three or four days to come up with. He can think of it all by himself inside of five minutes. That's why you don't want to be up against Walt.
expresswrittenconsent
aTmAg said:

I think the story should dictate how long it goes. So if they have a good story in mind that is 7 seasons long then I say go 7 seasons long.

The problem, I think, is that Jonathan Banks is 71 years old. I think they can get away with him looking older in BCS than BB, but if he were to have bad enough health problems or die, then that would ruin the show, I think. Putting another actor in that spot would be impossible for my brain to accept. Obviously, they can't kill him off.

This is where I am at as well. I enjoy this world so I am okay with as many seasons as possible as long as it stays the same high quality. And I don't care how everyone is 10 yrs older but Mike is a huge part of the show, almost dual lead. I can get past how banks looks but IMO his health could be a limiting factor in how long we can linger in this world before moving up in the timeline.
Complete Idiot

Quote:

Yes, they had to find a way to use a machine gun in a meaningful way in the story line again. I think that is a bit different than trying to make a season out of Omaha given how they've depicted the Jimmy/Saul character so far - he's on the run from the law and the cartel and he's a person who's done very bad things. I do agree that the show creators and writers are excellent, but given their self imposed parameters - Being true to the characters and realistically presenting scenarios that fit the situation and character personalities - I think telling a character story line is more difficult than writing a prop piece back in. I think it's inevitable they will spend time in Omaha and I'm excited to see how they make it work without resorting to what lesser programs would do.

Just my opinion but I do have to say that while the machine gun scene was hugely satisfying and fun, it was also the most unrealistic and almost cheesy action movie moment in the series. Don't get me wrong - I liked it and it fit in a series finale OK but it was a bit out of character for the series.
Stive
AG
Completely agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.