*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,178 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Robert C. Christian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. That helps to better understand the timeline.
Complete Idiot
AgGrad99 said:

I wonder if Kim is helping Jimmy out, one last time...and then cutting him loose.

I'm hoping her idea is a legal one. I'll be pretty disappointed if she extends herself for Jimmy, and it ruins everything she's worked so hard for.
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see a sad ending for Kim - never really seen in a negative in her character other than she seems a bit cold emotionally. She deserves a good ending, but your post could be right - she over extends herself and it damages her career. They spent quite a bit of time with the opposing counsel showing they would not take any deal - and now she is buying stuff, almost Jimmy style, to work up some scheme.

Either that, or she really works her ass off to help but Jimmy does what she asked him not to do regardless.....that would be a breaking point as well.
Serious Lee
was skimming through season 3 of breaking bad last night to get a refresher in mike/gus relationship and operations and in one of the first episodes of the season gus is looking at architect plans in the laundromat, then the next episode he meets with mike and you can hear the sound of jackhammers in the background.

with so much time spent on the excavation now, it made me wonder how much of the BB/BCS story they already had written at that point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting.

I'm guessing something big is gonna go down that sets the project way back.

I'm looking at you, Mike.

(Crazy theory: Mike disappears than one bigmouth German, the rest of the team starts asking questions, then Gus forces Mike to take care of them all and start over.)
CoachRTM
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

was skimming through season 3 of breaking bad last night to get a refresher in mike/gus relationship and operations and in one of the first episodes of the season gus is looking at architect plans in the laundromat, then the next episode he meets with mike and you can hear the sound of jackhammers in the background.

with so much time spent on the excavation now, it made me wonder how much of the BB/BCS story they already had written at that point.
I'm fairly certain I remember being really surprised at how much they "made up" as they went along in BB.

I doubt they had any of BCS written during season 3 of BB.
91_Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone else hoping Mike puts that German dude in his place? Guy is gonna sass Mike one too many times and he's gonna shut him up for good.
I just can't imagine they let any of these German guys live after they finish this. Hell, they may have them dig their own grave down in the "lab". "Yeah, small plan change... we need this under-under-ground storage area right here... start digging"

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
91_Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone else hoping Mike puts that German dude in his place? Guy is gonna sass Mike one too many times and he's gonna shut him up for good.
I just can't imagine they let any of these German guys live after they finish this. Hell, they may have them dig their own grave down in the "lab". "Yeah, small plan change... we need this under-under-ground storage area right here... start digging"

Anyone notice - the blatant use of Mike and Gus's FULL NAMES by the German guy. He talks about the last name Ehrmantraut and it's meaning and says he will explain to Mr. Fring the delays.

What use is the secrecy, confidentiality and unknown location if they know exactly WHO you are.

Seems like a misstep to me that will either haunt them or they will resolve as needed.

Now let's not delve back into NDA territory....but I assumed this was always a cash payment and no names kinda deal.

If they knew them only as Mike and Gus ok then.... although even there I'm surprised they knew any part of the name. But now they clearly know who they are.

aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

91_Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone notice - the blatant use of Mike and Gus's FULL NAMES by the German guy. He talks about the last name Ehrmantraut and it's meaning and says he will explain to Mr. Fring the delays.

What use is the secrecy, confidentiality and unknown location if they know exactly WHO you are.

Seems like a misstep to me that will either haunt them or they will resolve as needed.

Now let's not delve back into NDA territory....but I assumed this was always a cash payment and no names kinda deal.

If they knew them only as Mike and Gus ok then.... although even there I'm surprised they knew any part of the name. But now they clearly know who they are.

This complaint sounds familiar
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never really considered Mike a "bad guy" per se, but I think having to get rid of the Germans may be what fully turns him into Gus' guy.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never really considered Mike a "bad guy" per se, but I think having to get rid of the Germans may be what fully turns him into Gus' guy.
He kills quite a few people in BB.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Just want to say... I love the writers' song choices in both BB and BCS. Big Rock Candy Mountain was excellent during this episode.

My other favorite song choice occurred during Ozymandias in BB. I'll need to go back to find that one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crystal Blue Persuasion for me. That was top notch.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Baby Blue by Badfinger to end the series was perfection.
fightinags2013
AG
I keep wondering when Mike and Jimmy are going to start crossing paths again. Seems like this show could be called Better Call Saul (Plus Random Stuff with Mike)
Bayside Tiger Ag
fightinags2013 said:

I keep wondering when Mike and Jimmy are going to start crossing paths again. Seems like this show could be called Better Call Saul (Plus Random Stuff with Mike)
The Mike arc is so damn good. It's hard to beat Jimmy and Kim's arc, but damn.

That episode in Season 2 when Mike breaks down after we learn about Matty, just top notch.

Back to this episode-- whatever ends up happening with Kim, I'm going to be sad regardless. Rhea Seahorn (sp) has been such a strong female actor on this show.

Edit: Also post #777 holla (actually probably post # 1,000+, but thanks Mods )
fightinags2013
AG
Yeah- don't get me wrong- I LOVE the show and both of the main character arcs big. They've just diverged so much this season (and maybe even more if I remember correctly) that they could practically be different shows.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'm betting Kim has her usual brilliant way to get Huell very little if any time and Jimmy still inserts himself much like the Chuck/Cell Phone trick he pulled and that ends it for her. She had it covered and he ruins it with one of his Saul moments. Everything works out for Huell, but Kim will be done with him for good and want to distance herself completely.
Seven Costanza
AG
fightinags2013 said:

This got me thinking. What are some examples of shows that mostly consist of two completely separate storylines that almost never intersect? Game of Thrones, I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It'll be a damn shame if this series doesn't win at least one major Emmy before it's done. (Drama, Actor, Supporting Actor, or Writing)
Bayside Tiger Ag
Found it. "Take My True Love by the Hand" from Ozymandias. My favorite song choice from the BB/BCS universe paired with the cinematography. Just amazing.

Bayside Tiger Ag
Seven Costanza said:

fightinags2013 said:

This got me thinking. What are some examples of shows that mostly consist of two completely separate storylines that almost never intersect? Game of Thrones, I guess.

Also can't forget about Gene's separate story.

How do you guys think this show will end? I'm thinking the end of the last episode will show Jimmy heading to his initial meet with WW, with a fade-out to credits, never showing WW except for maybe playing one clip of his voice.

Can't wait to see what they do with Gene. To be completely honest, I agree with Odenkirk that that deserves its own mini-series
CoachRTM
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Robert C. Christian said:

Complete Idiot said:

UnderoosAg said:

Complete Idiot said:

Yeah, we jumped a year, or nearly a year, in the opening montage - I was a bit surprised to see that.

I figured they did that to help Jimmy and Kim grow apart, and move the lab along, without movie magic.

The lab is behind schedule, and probably over budget, so they got that right.
That reminds me, it was roughly an 8 month jump I guess - the project lead said "we've been at this 8 month and they can see we are not yet halfway done". I think.

No, it was a pretty heavy handed way to clearly show they are splitting apart.....given the screen was literally split. I just didn't anticipate the big time jump in this episode, but maybe should have since they wouldn't keep a lab build storyline going over a season I wouldn't think.
Did he say they have been at it 8 months or that they thought it would take 8 months? I thought he didn't give a length of time they had been working but, I could have misheard.

what he said was it was supposed to take 8 months and we are not even half done yet....

so we don't really know how much time has transpired. my guess was maybe 6-9 months and therefore they know they have another 6-9 or more - much more than the original 8 that was planned. So they would be getting depressed about the time now in complete isolation.

but the other thing mentioned in this episode about timeframe might narrow it down

At one point jimmy says 1 more month to go on his suspension from practicing law (in reference to then he could defend Huell himself). And it had been some amount of time (1 or 2 months?) since he was suspended and then got the job, dealing phones, etc.... then the montage time lapse which was several months at least.

So this would make sense

1 month so far this season before this episode
10 months jump
1 month to go

or

2 months so far this season before the jump
9 months jump
1 month to go

I don't think it was more than 2 months at most prior to the time jump. He got the job pretty quickly... she was still in the cast on her arm (6-8 weeks most likely)

They actually were pretty heavy handed with the time lapse in the montage. As Saul/ Jimmy is turning the "open" sign at his store, there are holiday signs, and then there are the dates on the papers

First turn - Mother's Day (May 11, 2003)
Date on paper - June something
Turn - Independence Day
Paper - (can't remember)
Turn - Labor Day (September)
Paper - (can't remember)
Last date on paper - January 2004

That would make it around 8 months. May 2003 - January 2004)
Baby Billy
AG
Kim is gonna help jimmy out and end up getting herself into trouble
dave94
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

Found it. "Take My True Love by the Hand" from Ozymandias. My favorite song choice from the BB/BCS universe paired with the cinematography. Just amazing.

That was the one that I thought of. Such a great sequence.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

I love when this guy posts in this thread. Cracks me up every time.
mazzag
AG
The emmys? Awards are great but I don't need that validation.
PatAg
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Could definitely see that happening.
AgGrad99
AG
I can see that too...and I won't like it.
Ag_07
AG
So about the timeline and the jump forward...

I thought last episode when Jimmy was laying out his plan to Kim he said he would be working at the cell store for 10 months until he was reinstated. This episode he told Kim that Huell needs help but he can't wait one more month for him to be reinstated.

I think we've only jumped forward about 9 months.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yes it's detailed in mine and other posts above. Looks like 8-9 months.
Belton Ag
AG
So the next 3 episodes are going to be dealing with the last month of Jimmy's suspension of his law license and possibly the time period immediately after it gets reinstated.
NICU Dad
AG
It must be too many years between BB and Saul for me, but what did Gus see in the video with Hector pushing off the water cup that made him react to the doctor the way he did?

Was it because he wanted Hector in his BB state?

Or was there some significance of pushing off the water cup I'm missing?
mavsfan4ever
AG
He recognized that Hector pushed the cup off on purpose so that he could watch the nurse bend down. It wasn't just a muscle spasm like the doctor thought. So Gus knew that the old Hector was really there.
Old Tom Morris
He was checking out the nurse's tits and ass while she cleaned it up.
NICU Dad
AG
Ha...that's what I thought but didn't know if they were writing in something deeper that I missed!..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.