*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,184 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gus walks right into mass murder scenes and drug deals as they're happening or right after....and you're worried he showed his face to a European engineer who has no idea where he is or who he's talking to & didn't have him sign a NDA?

good lawd.
Burdizzo
AG
I find this show is a lot more enjoyable for me personally when I don't try to over think it or predict what will happen next. I build stuff for a living. I don't get Joy from watching a TV show and figuring out how I would build a lab under a laundry facility. I get entertainment from letting people like Vince Gilligan tell me the story of how it is built in secret because they are usually very good at telling crazy, yet almost believable, stories.
expresswrittenconsent
aTmAg
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

You seem to be missing a critical difference - we aren't saying it's the smartest, most careful thing to show his face. We're simply saying that this is how his character operated throughout the series. It was dumb to bring Jesse in. It was dumb to try to kill Hector personally. Those things got him killed. He was cautious. But not perfectly cautious. He got his hands dirty in running his business. That was his character.

And you're right, it is an extremely complicated project. All the more reason for him to feel like he needs direct involvement.
I think it's out of character. At first he wasn't going to do business with WW because he was associated with a junkie. It was only WW's persistence and the quality of his product that made Gus change his mind. Gus knows WW cannot turn him in because WW would himself go to jail. They are in on it together.

There is no reason to believe such relationship between Gus and the manager of this construction project. This guy could quote a price, meet Gus, start work, then a month down the road become suspicious that it's for some drug activity and turn Gus in. Especially if he is afraid that he might get killed afterwards. Unlike WW or any of the other thugs, the construction guy is not at risk to go to jail because all he's hasn't been doing anything illegal. Unlike meeting WW, the cousins, cartel, etc. having this guy knowing that Gus is into illegal activity puts him at high risk.
Old Tom Morris
This guy is european and wore a hood to the site. The last guy worked for the cartel. These aren't straight guys. These are guys in the business.

A straight guy is going to get hanky about this strange project. And unless Gus is never ever planning on visiting this place even after it's complete, then that is a much greater risk. It's not like he has to meet the builder face to face to be at risk.
expresswrittenconsent
Old Tom Morris said:

This guy is european and wore a hood to the site. The last guy worked for the cartel. These aren't straight guys. These are guys in the business.

Plus we saw the first guy wear that hood on a 500 mile van ride from Denver. Presumably the 2nd guy had a similarly long ride. They definitely aren't under the impression this is clean work. Both scenes went into great detail to show that neither "interviewee" were surprised. First guy knew to walk to a certain rental car and then to immediately answer the phone in the center console.
Old Tom Morris
the builder is dirty. these guys are all dirty. he just has a different skillset. Like some are cooks, some are muscle, some are dealers, some are doctors, some are corporate professionals, etc. These guys happen to be engineers/construction. All dirty. When a guy cites that he built tunnels for the cartel as part of his resume, I don't think you have to worry about him seeing you on tv and thinking you might be up to criminal behavior. He knows the type of work he's in for.
dave94
AG
I can't believe we're still arguing NDA's, but let's say for s. and giggles that that's how Gus approached this.

Get a legit engineer who's used to government contracts, and then they one day realize this is an illegal drug operation. Do you think they worry about being taken to court for the NDA then? Or call the feds (who they've worked with before) and report it? So the NDA affords no real additional protection then.

As for reality (at least BB/BCS reality) I viewed Gus meeting the engineer face-to-face as his last step of approving this very important hire. I'm sure he was waiting in the wings for each of the interviews. And I have zero problem with that.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

did you notice the condescending tone and the satirical tone of the "questions". Apparently not.

It's called mocking you.
I don't care. I'll answer anyway as a way to inform you guys about the realities of life. Consider it a public service.
wessimo
AG
TCTTS said:

The episode was good (loved the phone montage), but I wouldn't call it a humdinger.
Texaggie7nine
Welp, ok then. Back to fun stuff....

So, what are the chances Jimmy gets back at those kids that mugged him?

What are the chances Kim gets tired of and permanently loses Mesa?
7nine
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jimmy is definitely going to get those kids back. I have faith.
aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Wasn't Kim the defense attorney for one of those kids? That seems to be too much of a coincidence to not go anywhere. I suspect that somehow Jimmy/Kim will figure that out and either Jimmy will get sweet revenge forcing that kid to land in prison for some other unrelated crime or that the kid will tell Kim that Jimmy was selling those phones making Kim ask Jimmy WTF?

Also, I think Kim wants to be a defense attorney. She appears to want to defend the "down trodden" rather than a huge corporation (as if that is somehow more virtuous.. but I digress). As soon as she found out that Mesa Verde was expanding all over the place, she changed her outlook.
Texaggie7nine
I kind of thought that at first, that one of those kids that mugged him was the kid she just defended, but then I figured it wasn't. I need to go rewatch that scene.
7nine
Robert C. Christian
AG
I don't think so, but the credits have great names for the three:
  • Peewee
  • Scooter
  • Skippy
Texaggie7nine
Robert C. Christian said:

I don't think so, but the credits have great names for the three:
  • Peewee
  • Scooter
  • Skippy

Ha. But I don't see a character listed that would have been Kim's client.
7nine
aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I kind of thought that at first, that one of those kids that mugged him was the kid she just defended, but then I figured it wasn't. I need to go rewatch that scene.
Now you are spreading doubt in my mind. I will have to rewatch too.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I don't believe one of them was one of Kim's clients, but maybe. I don't see Jimmy letting the mugging go. I think we are in for a clever revenge scheme for sure.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

She told the lady at Mesa it won't happen again. Could mean she got the Atticus Finch thing out of her system. Or it could mean it won't happen again because she's decided to take her career in a different direction.

I mainly took her reaction to the Mesa Verde expansion to be that it was unrealistic dreamer stuff that would create mountains of uninteresting work for her.
aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

It seems that the general consensus on reddit is that it was a different kid.
KidDoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I thought the middle kid was the one she defended.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
Doesn't seem to be. But someone rewatch it and let us know.
7nine
BenFiasco14
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Seems pretty obvious to me she's gonna end up messing up with Mesa Verde again. Looks like her passion is indigent criminal defense. Not much money to be made there (remember how jimmy was at the start of the show?) but for some people, money doesn't matter I guess. Realistically speaking if I had the choice to drown in huge six figure salaries and hate the Work versus making 32k as a public defender but loved it... I think I'd still go with the former. But that's just me.

Never thought about jimmy going after those kids. Possible.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aTmAg
AG
Unless he returned with a gun/muscle at that moment, I'm not sure how Jimmy could get his money back. They probably split it 3 ways and spent most of it within a day or so. Seems to me, the best he could do is screw them over.
Texaggie7nine
Or what if Kim ends up defending them after all
7nine
aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Or what if Kim ends up defending them after all
I could see that happening. They get arrested at that dog place, Kim is assigned to defend them, she tells Jimmy, who figures out that they are the kids who mugged him.

I can see Kim deciding to screw them over for Jimmy or having a situation where Jimmy wants her to, but she feels a sense of honor and refuses.
Tobias Funke
AG
What an incredible open. So strong
Tobias Funke
AG
Ah damnit I was post 666
Know Your Enemy
AG
HUELL!!!!!!!!!!!
Bayside Tiger Ag
*********I wish Jimmy had kicked their ass
Bayside Tiger Ag
But wait, wait... shouldn't there be NDA's for the warehouse? Don't we need to talk about quid pro quo or something??
Tobias Funke
AG
Clearly the Germans are covered under the Pollo Hermanos BAA.
Mr.Bond
AG
Saul Goodman next week.......
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Unfortunately I saw Huell's name in the opening credits so I knew he was coming at some point. But it was still great to see him take off the mask. I was waiting for Jimmy to ask for his money back that the kids stole from him previously.
Mr.Bond
AG
Huell has lost a **** ton of weight
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.